-
AuthorContent
dun1kirk
Berkeley, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #9347841

I have about 7 brugmansias, some in large pots, some in the ground. All, for years, have lost lower leaves and most are now just tall & ugly with no bushy-ness to them. Yes I fertilize but probably not enough. I'd love comments.
Thanks
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #9347847

Keeping them too wet will make them drop lower leaves. Mine lost a lot of leaves this past year due to white fly. If they are leggy, I would cut them back by about two thirds and let them start over. Then root the cuttings and you will have more. I dont dont fertilize, per se, but I top dress twice a year with compost.
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

December 2, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9348194

Are they getting enough light?
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9348253

are they in full sun
ConnieMounts
Indiantown, FL

December 2, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9348254

They need some direct sunlight to stop reaching higher and regular weekly to biweekly fertlizer in order to grow good. They will lose leaves everytime they become stressed by either drying out too much or being overly wet. They don't do well with neglect. Lots of light, steady moisture not overly wet or too dry and heavy doses of fertilizer, keep the bugs off and you will see blooms and lush foliage.
dun1kirk
Berkeley, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2012
11:55 PM

Post #9351054

They are in good light. What formula fertilizer do people customarily use?
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

December 6, 2012
2:40 AM

Post #9351076

well... at the beginning of the growing season.. I use a heavy dose of cow manure... that should fill it out considerably... then you can move on later to something promoting flowering a bit more..
dun1kirk
Berkeley, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2012
10:01 AM

Post #9351313

Since I live in a mild area,mine bloom sporadically throughout the year. They are in bloom now. I am looking for a numbered fertilizer as in 5-10-5 or 10-10-10 or whatever. Thanks
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 7, 2012
11:35 AM

Post #9352312

Look for a fertilizer with a 3 : 1 : 2 ratio. Something like hibiscus fertilizer is close to ideal, but specialty fertilizer are more expensive. MiracleGrow works just as well and comes close. You want to stay away from using fertilizers that are heavy on phosphates. Heavy phosphate use tends to yellow the older leaves which then drop off leading to more leaf drop. Brugs are heavy feeders. To keep them growing and producing those large leaves and heavy flushes, they need to be fertilized at least once or twice a week (If growing in pots. Slightly less if growing in the ground.) when they are growing actively.

I noticed you didn't answer the questions put to you about the amount of direct sun that your Brugs are getting. With the exception of some highly variegated Brugs, they need several hours of direct sunlight, preferably in the morning. Without seeing photos of your Brugs and not knowing any cultivation history, it is difficult to say what is going on with your Brugs. Leaves do age and fall off with some regularity even in the best cared ones. New branches and leaves have to be encouraged to grow farther down on the branches by judicious pruning, fertilizing, watering and making sure they get some sunlight in the morning and plenty of bright light for the rest of the day.

Are the Brugs having to complete with other plants? This could be a problem especially if they don't get much fertiizer. You can renovate the ones you currently have in the ground by pruning as suggested by steadycam. If the soil is compacted and depleted of organic nutrients. You might be better off pulling them out and conditioning the soil before replanting the pruned plants. Potted Brugs need to be re-potted every so often. How often depends on the size of the pot they are in. If they are in 25 gallon pots, they could remain in the mix for a year or two. Plants in smaller pots need repotting at least once a year. Potting soils do break down and need to be replaced. Some old anchor roots need to be removed to provide room for feeder roots to form. So root and top prune those potted plants. Plants growing in the ground take up nutrients and lock them up in the top growth eventually depleting the soil. If we expect the plant to continue growing, we need to provide those nutrients either by fertilizing, adding compost or both.

In areas that seldom get hit by frost or heavy freezes, Brugs can become quite tall. I remember cruising through some Palo Alto neighborhoods and seeing Brugs that were taller than houses. They are after all small trees/large shrubs. It's just that most of us try to keep them smaller.
dun1kirk
Berkeley, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 12, 2012
12:05 PM

Post #9356477

Thanks for such a complete explanation!
Yes, they get sun. Only one more question. Do you prune by pinching out top growth?
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 19, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #9362517

No. If you pinch the tips of vegetative branches, you delay the formation of the first "Y" for that branch. Pinching flowering branches isn't necessary. The way flowering branches grow each time branches produce a new "Y", they also produce flower buds. The best thing to do is to make sure you are fertilizing regularly.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America