AuthorContent

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9348056

Cindy the doll house if beautiful!!! Doll houses have always fascinated me. It is something Audrey will always treasure!!

I just finished up one project and to have 3 times as many as I had when I got through! I have a neighbor that does estate sales. She has done them for years and years and her prices are always high so I don't shop her sales. But another neighbor works her sales and her husband called me late this afternoon just after the sale had closed and told me about several things he thought I might be interested in. I ended up buying a secretary, long dresser, chest of drawers, night stand, and king headboard. They were all good mahogany pieces of furniture that someone had shabby chic'd but didn't do a very good job. So I'm going to redo it all! I'll probably just shabby chic them. My consider refinishing the secretary. It's a nice piece of furniture.

Marilyn it doesn't sound like you are comfortable being alone where you live. Maybe you need to get a big dog in addition to Laddy.

Yes there are some pretty areas in Utah. I did like the Bryce area the best. I think because there were more trees and not so desert looking. I took some pictures but nothing like what you took! I was too busy climbing, hanging off the side of a cliff, etc. LOL

Thumbnail by cperdue
Click the image for an enlarged view.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 3, 2012
6:56 AM

Post #9348522

Thank you, Cindy. :o) Yes, Al and I are keeping each other young. He is 74 and amazing in all that he can still do. We are getting ready to tackle bringing down 3 big trees on our property that are all dead. Then we (he) will cut them up and split them for firewood. He has a log splitter and all the other equipment to accomplish that task. He cuts down dead trees on our neighbor lady's property, too. She is 81 and has been a widow for many years. Staying young must be in the air around here because this neighbor lady still plays golf and/or tennis 3 or 4 times a week and she keeps her own property (about 16 acres) mowed--with a tractor of course. She, too, is amazing in all that she does.

Charlotte, you really have made a project for yourself! I have no doubt that you are up to the task, though. We will want before and after photos, of course.
I have never been a "scaredy-cat" when it comes to living alone but since we are isolated here and it would take a while for the authorities to get here in case of an emergency, I just decided I needed to be prepared. I'm a former Girl Scout and Girl Scout leader and their motto is "Be Prepared", you know.

That's a good photo of Kathy and Loretta and Kim's wonderful Christmas tree. Wish I could have been there to see all of you in person--and Kim's home decorated for Christmas.

I adapted two ideas from Pinterest and Al and I made a decoration for our front porch. We had everything on hand except the big ornaments and the poinsettias and red berries so it was very inexpensive to make. This is the result:

Thumbnail by marsue

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

December 3, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9348688

Love Kim's tree, Kathy Ann and Loretta too--we need more pictures from your lunch !

Marily, I carried a pistol with me when I was divorced, I almost shot a man one night that I knew, but thank God I didn't ! I decided whoever wanted me could just have me rather than go through that feeling again !
gen2026
Camden, AR

December 3, 2012
10:05 AM

Post #9348733

Cindy, that dollhouse is amazing! And so are your woodworking skills to craft that bed! Did you buy all the other furniture? I have never known anyone to actually have a playhouse like this ... so do you also have a miniture family purchased to go in it too?? I know it is something she will treasure! Jessica would have loved something like this when she was little!

Marilyn, sounds like you had a great trip! Glad you are home safely. Love your porch decoration that you made! I think you are being smart by getting a gun and being knowledgeable in how to use it. Although I have always heard for home protection a pump shotgun is one of the best things you can have - the sound of pumping a shotgun to load it is readily identifyable by almost anyone - even if they are high - and they know to get gone! They also realize you don't have to be an expert marksman to hit them with a shotgun... and in town, it has the advantage of not traveling as far as a rifle or pistol and possibly endangering others. Although, you sure can't take it with you as a concealed carry ... LOL

I appreciate the continued prayers... I hope we are able to find more info about these job possibilities. The uncertainty sure makes me nervous!

I think I finished my Christmas shopping up... and I have the tree up but not decorated. If I could just get everything wrapped and the tree finished...

Genna

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 3, 2012
1:14 PM

Post #9348882

I have mixed feelings about concealed hand guns. Several months ago my next door neighbors were sitting in their den early one morning reading the paper. They are both in their late 70's. She noticed a flashlight shining on the deck and finally was able to make her husband understand what was going on without creating a lot of noise. He is hard of hearing and didn't have his hearing aids in. So he goes back and gets his gun and goes outside to see what was going on. Thank goodness he didn't find anything because long story short version he had accidently triggered the alarm when he went out for the paper and didn't know it. The person with the flashlight was a policeman who had come and was walking around the house to make sure everything was alright. That policeman gave him a real talking to about going out with a gun! I don't think he will do that again. He could have accidentally shot the policeman!

I think I would feel safer out where you are Marilyn than in the city now days! Little Rock has gotten terrible and it's not just isolated areas it's all over town and in nice neighborhoods that are considered very safe. A couple was robbed last night at gun point at 6 pm in front of Outback Steakhouse. Very well lit place with lots of people all around! This kind of thing happens several times a week.

My mother grew up in the country and my mother and dad bought a farm just a couple of miles from my grandparents when I was about 3 years old. We only lived there 5 years. My mother was terrified to stay there alone. Of course she had to during the day because my dad worked in town. But in the winter months he knew to pick us up at my grandparents. Late every afternoon we would walk down to my grandparents before it got dark. She finally talked dad into moving into town.

Here is the finished product of my latest project. The color did not turn out true in the photo. I only have 7 more pieces to paint and several chairs and vanity stools to recover the seat on. The first picture is the before (yellow) and the second picture is after.

Thumbnail by cperdue   Thumbnail by cperdue         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 3, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9348918

Cindy I love the dollhouse and I know that Audrey will too!!! Hopefully that will be something to pass down thru the ages!!!

Kim your tree is gorgeous!!! KA & Loretta both look good!!! Miss Yall!!!

Just got back from the gastrologist with Ashley. He believes that it is Gastroparesis. Here is a link to explain it:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001342/#adam_000297.disease.causes

She has to go have a upper GI with contrast done to make sure no blockage. He started her on some meds and we see him back in a month.
gen2026
Camden, AR

December 3, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #9348938

Charlotte - your pieces look great!

I agree that I think the cities are more dangerous, but like Marilyn said, when you are isolated and trouble comes, it can take a LONG time to get help there. We were looking at a pistol recently in the gun shop and there was a woman in her 80s there buying a colt 45 revolver!! and she already had a large 45 caliber automatic handgun!! Those guns were as big as she was... and it was kinda scary to think that maybe her eyesight might be failing, and possibly her hearing, etc and there she was going to be walking around with a BIG gun! I have lived all my life around guns and I know how to shoot them, and also have to respect them. But the thought of everyone walking around armed (and concealed) is a little scary to me! But, I can certainly relate to Marilyn wanting some protection. I am the same way where I live. I am completely out of sight of my neighbors, and anyone intending to do me harm would know that a neighbor would never hear or see anything. I sure miss my big dog...even though Leigh always says they would just shoot the dog to eliminate the interference, he still made me FEEL safer... It scares me how bad little rock has gotten - and so much of it never makes the news!!

Jeri, I will do some reading on that link. I am so thankful that they FINALLY think they know what is wrong and can start effectively treating it!! Geez it seems like forever that she has been having problems. Does she still get sick to her stomach all the time?? I hope they are finally able to get her some help!

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

December 3, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9348966

Charlotte you are amazingly fast and good. Those are incredible. If I didn't already have a chest I would be buying those from you. That size chest is absolutely perfect to use for all your costume jewelry and scarves. You can lay all your sets out together where you can see them without them getting all tangled up. If you put that shelf liner that is no slide or velvet paper things stay put. You can even put some foam covered in fabric to stick pins in or make slots for rings. Big rings and lots of them are the rage these days and that way you can find just what you are looking for. You might demonstrate that with one of them to show how handy it is to see it all at a glance when you open the drawer. I looked all over for a gentlemans chest with thin drawers to do that with but never found one. I finally got two of those long units that hang on the wall with a mirror on the front. Not nearly as good to me.

Gena several pieces of furniture I built from kits. Several I bought ready made on ebay. The bed I built is a twin and I built two to match. I ended up putting one in her house and one in the Victorian. I got one bedcover, pillow ,and bed skirt made today for one of them. only 4 more to go. I don't like the sewing part. I just don't have the patience for sewing anymore especially while I am babysitting Audrey. . I couldn't find any ready made ones so I had to do it. The rugs I just printed on Canvas. The pictures I downsized old pictures and printed them out and framed them. Printed a few old world tapestries on canvas and glued them to the walls. If I wasn't so tired of the whole thing I would paint the outside to look more traditional. Her room is pink, brown and white so it will go when it is all closed up.

Marilyn you can ask Sandra and Terrye about the gun I take with me when we are traveling. It is a 44 magnum long barrel pistol like Clint Eastwood used in some of his dirty Harry movies. I promise you one look at the pistol and no one is going to think I'm not serious. LOL. I don't carry it on me just in the truck. I used to carry a 38 all the time when I lived way out in the country and traveled pretty isolated roads twice a day with 2 kids. All the young people in our area are on a gun craze these days. All the women are getting certified to carry. I guess it goes in trends. It was the same when I was young. I never got certified because my dad was a policeman and taught me to shoot a pistol really young. I didn't hunt till a lot later in life but I have a healthy respect for what a gun can do. We taught our children to shoot and respect guns at a very early age. My children are doing the same with there children. I have one grandson I worry about that is 4. He has been obsessed with guns for a toddler stage. We keep preaching to him about the dangers of guns. He is not shooting yet. He is getting a bb gun for Christmas but will not be able to shoot it without his dad . That's how we started ours. We made them treat a bb gun as if it were a high powered rifle. That respect served well when it was time for the real guns.
I just found out Jimbo is getting me a new rifle for Christmas. I have been using the one both my grown sons killed all their deer with when they were young. It keeps hanging up after you shoot it once. It isn't going to be just for me since it is a youth model. It will help to have another youth gun with all these children getting older and wanting to hunt. If it wasn't for them I can assure you I would be shooting the old gun for the rest of my hunting days. It is the joke of all the camps that my guys put me on gar holes with a gun that jams up after you shoot it.

Thumbnail by Riverland   Thumbnail by Riverland         

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

December 3, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9348967

Jeri so glad to hear you may have an answer. I will go read about it.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 3, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9349073

Jeri I read some on the link but not sure I understand all I read but glad to hear they may have an answer!!!

Cindy that little bed is so cute!!! I think working with tiny pieces like that is actually harder than working on a big piece. It is all so tedious!!

I hadn't thought about displaying some pieces in the lingerie chest. I do have pieces of jewelry for sale so I may try that.

I didn't grow up shooting guns so that is something I would not be comfortable with. I do have a couple of the mace type things. They are not the things you buy in the drug store but the kind you have to get at a police supply store. One of them I can attach to my clothes if I think I'm going to be somewhere it would be good to have and the other larger one I keep in my car.

I've never given any thought about being scared driving around the country by myself. Until about 6 years ago I used to drive all over the back roads of east AR and north LA cold calling on farmers. I actually enjoyed the solitude and seeing all the birds, etc. Even drove on a levee to find one guy! He was quite surprised to see me drive up! His wife had told me where he was. Rented a car and drove all over the back roads of Pennsylvania and Maryland by myself not too many years ago. To get to my property in LA I have to drive down a remote road that is now primarily just timberland and I drive down it by myself. There used to be families that lived in the area but most have now moved. My family has never thought anything about it or been concerned about it. You just have to be alert and use some common sense.

I think my concern living in a remote area would not be for my safety but I would be concerned about an ambulance or some kind of help being able to get to me in a medical emergency.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 3, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #9349144

Thanks Yall! She weights 88#'s. We really need to figure it out. It's kinda scary!! He put her on Reglan. There are risks with this med so I'm watching her pretty close.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

December 3, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9349185

That medicine sounds pretty scary, but if it helps her it is worth trying I am sure.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 3, 2012
8:36 PM

Post #9349214

She's taken 2 since we got them and is still nauseated.
gen2026
Camden, AR

December 4, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9349446

Jeri, this has been going on over a year hasn't it?? No wonder she is down so small! I pray they are able to find something to give her some relief soon so she can start putting some weight back on. Do they think she will have to be on the Reglan long term? Or just short term while they figure everything out? It does look like it can have some pretty rough side effects - especially for long term use.

Cindy, the bedding is so cute! Do you have to make the mattresses and pillows and everything? I know sewing that small stuff is more time consuming - and so tedious! Jessica always wanted me to make some barbie clothes -but I never thought I had the patience to even try it !!

Charlotte, did you paint the handles and everything on the chests you redid? or replace them? Did you sand the old paint off or just repaint? they sure look nice! I love Cindy's idea about using them for jewelry and scarfs etc!

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 4, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9349456

Charlotte, those chests are beautiful! I would buy them in a flash if I had the space! We got some new bedroom furniture in July that has 3 jewelry drawers in it. The drawers are concealed so you can't really see them or know they are there unless you know they are there. I didn't even discover them for several weeks. :D They sure do come in handy for my many "priceless jewels" ROFL (Most of my jewelry has come from Charlotte--I love the necklaces she makes!)

Cindy, you are making some wonderful pieces for your granddaughters to treasure for years to come!

Jeri: I sure hope that this med will prove to be helpful for Ashley. She and you have certainly been through it this past year.

We got about 3/4 of an inch of rain this morning and it was badly needed. We are 12 inches behind in rainfall up here.

You ladies have a good day!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 4, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9349525

No I read about Reglan last night and it looks like 12 weeks is the longest someone is left on it at a time. If there is a reoccurrence down the road then they may have to use it again. I got the 3rd one down her this AM but she is still nauseated and didn't feel up to school. Her daddy has this problem also and his mom. They have never had it checked out this throughly but are now.

Charlotte your chest look good now that you have re-finished it. I'm with Cindy also they look like jewelry or lingerie chest.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

December 4, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9349528

Yes Genna I have to make the mattress , pillow everything. I made another last night it turned out a little better.

This is my Granddaughter Audrey. She will be 3 in Jan. This is the only true cajun we have on either side. Somehow the blonde hair was dominate in all the children and grandchildren. It is hard to tell in these photos but she has the dark complexion and darker hair. My husband is french and dark and so is Ashley's mom. They have 6 blond headed blue eyed grandchildren and we have 4 and this little dark one. Didn't get one till the last grand on both sides.

Thumbnail by Riverland   Thumbnail by Riverland   Thumbnail by Riverland      

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

December 4, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9349530

Hey Jeri Hope things get better everyday. I believe those are lingerie chest that Charlotte refinished and very hard to find.
gen2026
Camden, AR

December 4, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9349544

Love that bedding Cindy! You did a really nice job! Audrey is beautiful! Love that picture of her smelling the roses! She is a little doll... and I am sure she will treasure that doll house for years to come!

Did Ashley's Dad and his Mom 'outgrow' this problem? or is it something that they have continued to deal with? Maybe it is something genetic about the way their stomach or intestines are formed? I know one family that everyone had 2 appendixes... and another family that several of their family members had a third basically small non-functioning kidney... so sometimes there can be really odd genetic deformities that go from one generation to the next. I sure hope they are able to identify what her problem is and get it fixed quickly! I know she is ready to get back to life as normal - and you too!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 4, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #9349586

Like Cindy said it is a lingerie chest. Even has it stamped on the back. Also like she said they are very hard pieces to find. This one is by Dixie furniture and is very well made. Solid wood drawer runners , dust panels between the drawers. Very sturdy.
Genna I don't remove the old finish. I do use a primer by Zinzer that adheres to any surface. I also sometimes wipe the piece down with deglosser before I do anything. I use special flat paint and after it dries good I give it a good coat of wax. On this piece I just used clear wax but on some I will use a combination of dark and clear wax. Using the dark in crevices.
I love the old furniture. They just don't make the same quality furniture now as even 30 years ago.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 4, 2012
6:42 PM

Post #9350033

Cindy: Audrey is adorable! the photo looks as if she does have blue eyes.

Charlotte: what kind of deglosser do you use? Eventually I want to paint all of the old wood trim around here. It has an oak stain on it and looks as if there was a clear finish put on over that. The house was built in 1969 and I think it is the original trim. I want to paint it an off-white.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 4, 2012
7:49 PM

Post #9350093

Marilyn I just use a liquid deglosser. It doesn't matter which brand. It will come in a can and say deglosser on the label. It's considered liquid sandpaper. I painted the paneling in my den 25 or so years ago. Before I did it I went to a good paint store and asked them what to do. They told me to completely wipe it down with liquid deglosser, then use a primer and then my paint. It lasted 20 years before I repainted it. I also painted my kitchen cabinets that many years ago and I've not had any problems with the paint. At that time I used an oil based primer which they recommended. But the Zinzer primer I use is better than the old oil based primers.
It willl adhere to any surface. Some of the 60's 70's era furniture have Formica tops and I can paint over it using the primer first without any problem. I degloss it, then rough it up some with sand paper, then prime, let dry really good, then paint.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

December 4, 2012
9:46 PM

Post #9350151

Marilyn Audrey does have the lighter eyes but they are unusual colored. The camera really does not capture them very well. The outer rims are dark blue then they fade to a translucent blue grey. I guess the remind me of a cat's eyes. It's like you can see through them.

Charlotte I use deglosser and the Zinssers primer too. 2 great products well worth the time. Marilyn If you are doing large areas only degloss what you will prime that day. The deglosser makes the underpaint open it's pores so that the primer will adhere better. If you do it too much in advance it cures back over.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

December 4, 2012
9:52 PM

Post #9350153

Here is a close up of her eye color but it still doesn't capture the translucency

Thumbnail by Riverland

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

December 5, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9350315

She is a beautiful child and I know your photography skills will capture heron many beautiful photographs.
You all are working too hard !!
gen2026
Camden, AR

December 5, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9350316

Thanks for the info Charlotte... do you prime and paint the handles as well or did you replace them with new ones? I can't tell from the photos. If you don't mind me asking, how much are you asking for the lingerie chests?

Cindy, she does have unusual eyes... she is so pretty.

Jeri, is the medicine helping Ashley?? Hope she is feeling better!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 5, 2012

Post #9350317

Cindy, I see what you mean about Audrey's eyes--they are beautiful! I can see the dark blue rims around the outside edge. She is definitely going to capture some guy's heart when she is older! :)

Charlotte and Cindy: thanks for the tips on the deglosser and the zinzer primer. The counter tops in the kitchen of this house are the original Formica from 1969. They are the white with the gold flecks in it that most of us are familiar with. :o~ I'm thinking I can paint it after deglossing and priming with the Zinzer. What do you think?

Also, the backsplash is white ceramic tile. After all these years it still looks pretty good but I would like to do something to it to spruce it up, too, because the grout is looking dingy. Cleaning and scrubbing it doesn't seem to help it. I would really like to have a granite counter top and a new backsplash but that isn't in our budget because we are going to have to have the roof replaced very soon. Older homes seem to require constant maintenance and/or "sprucing up", don't they? I have been spoiled because the last two homes that Buddy and I had were both new.
However, this house is paid for and I am thankful we don't have a house payment. The house came with Al attached to it--ROFL--so I will gladly take it because having Al is worth any inconvenience caused by remodeling. (Can you see the little love hearts floating around my head? big smile here :D)

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 5, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9350347

Yall I gave Ashley her 5th pill last night around 6:00PM by 9:00 PM her neck muscles stiffened up and her mouth was acting funny. Her tongue was so thick I couldn't understand her talking. I immediately gave her a benadryl and neither one of us got much sleep. I called the Dr's office and they are calling in something different. Her mouth and tongue are back to normal but her neck is still deformed looking. Worst, still, her stomach is hurting her bad. I should have known, not to even try something that dangerous. We go Tue. for the scan with contrast. I pray this all ends soon. The last 2 weeks have been awful for her and she has missed school that she can't afford to miss. I guess we will deal with that after we get her well.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 5, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9350352

Cindy Audrey is a beautiful child! My son was the opposite in reverse of Audrey. Every one in my family and my ex husbands family had dark hair and everyone in my ex husbands family also had dark brown almost black eyes and dark olive skin. My mother had beautiful dark blue eyes. Neither me nor my brother got them. But Jeff turned out to be a blond with mother's blue eyes! But he didn't like being different! If you would ask him the color of his hair he would say black and if you asked the color of his eyes he would say brown. His boys by the way also got mother's blue eyes.

Marilyn the name of the Zinsser primer I use is Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Plus, primer for all projects. Cindy is right about just deglossing what you plan to paint. When I painted my den umpten years ago, I did it in sections so I would have such a mess. I would move the furniture on one wall and paint it totally - primer, top coat, trim - then move the furniture back and move to another section.

No I don't think you can paint your formica using the primer and then paint. It wouldn't hold up to the kind of use a kitchen cabinet takes and I'm not sure it would be food safe. They do however make paint now that is specifically designed to refurbish kitchen cabinets. It's a couple of steps process and is much more expensive than regular paint but still cheaper than replacing the whole counter top. They make a special grout cleaner you may need to use for the ceramic tile. Something you would buy at Home Depot. Then after the grout has been cleaned good it needs to be resealed with grout sealer. Very easy to do. You can also spray bleach directly on to the grout and some times that will help.

My house was built in 1970 and was not that old when we moved into it. But any house if you live in it long enough always has things that need to be done. There is nothing but the bathroom fixtures and bathroom tile that are original to when I moved in. Actually by fixtures I mean commodes and bathtub. All the facets, etc. have all been replaced probably more than once! Bathroom sinks and my kitchen sink has even been replaced. But I don't want to trade my house for a new one. I'm like Al, I like my house and it suits me!

Genna the lingerie chests are $289 each. I took all the hardware off before I painted it. The hardware had been painted originally and rubbed to show some of the brass through. I repainted all of it and did the same thing. I do usually paint the hardware. Here is another piece I did. It's not in a pretty setting! LOL I took this picture in the workshop just after I finished it. There is a lot of florescent light in there and the color didn't come out good. But this shows what I'm talking about using dark wax. This was painted a cream color and then I put dark wax on with a stiff stencil brush all over the piece and then wiped a lot of it off. You can't see it good in the picture but you can just see the brush strokes of the wax. It looks like paint but it is wax. I also then exposed some of the wood with sand paper. I actually just use my electric sander. The crevices in the back of the hutch and the louvers in the top also have wax in the grooves. I painted the old hardware but also rubbed some of the paint off in spots with steel wool.

This message was edited Dec 5, 2012 5:29 PM

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 5, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9350359

Jeri we did a cross post. That's terrible! I'm glad you were able to get the swelling down. Yes the important thing is getting her well and then the school issue.
gen2026
Camden, AR

December 5, 2012
2:00 PM

Post #9350671

That is neat Charlotte!

Jeri, wow that is scary with Ashley... I would have probably been headed to the ER with her afraid that her breathing would be impaired with the throat swelling. Glad that the benedryl worked and that she is better. I don't know about Louisiana, but Arkansas has some type of law that you have to be allowed to make up the school work if you have a serious medical illness. When Alex was burned, they were required by law to bring him some assignments in the hospital - but IF he didn't feel like working on them he didn't have to. Then, once we got home, he was out of school for over a month - and a teacher had to come to the house to give him his assignments and basically tutor him on any questions that he had. This is some type of program that they have in place to keep kids from being so far behind when they come back to school. I know kids who were pregnant in HS - and if they missed school after having the baby they got this type of assignment and tutoring until returning to school. I would call the school principal and possibly the school counselor to see what type of options you have. Alex didnt have to work all day to keep up with his assignments - kinda like kids who are home schooled because so much of the school day is wasted...so he was able to keep up with almost all of his assignments and when he went back he wasn't way behind. Praying for her! I just can't imagine how tired she must be of being nauseated. I had my gall bladder problems while pregnant with Kyle - and it was weeks before anyone found out what was wrong, and months before they could do surgery because I was in my first trimester. I would spend hours getting sick to my stomach every day and couldn't keep anything down - and I was so tired of it - and felt so weak and run down. I can't imagine how she has any energy as long as this has been going on!!

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 5, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9350866

Jeri: what an awful experience for Ashley and for you! That must of been frightening for both of you! I do hope the doctors can find something that will help her! Big hugs to both of you!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 5, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9350941

Thanks Marilyn!!!! The Dr. called in a prescription for Baclofen 10 mg. which from what I can find on the internet is equal to flexuril. I guess it relaxes those muscles so they will work.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2012
7:57 PM

Post #9350967

Jeri Keeping Ashley in my prayers. I know this is frightening. Also praying for your continued strength. Hope you are feeling better. La does have the home schooling for an illness. When Josh broke his femur at 11 and was in a body cast they started his schooling his first week in the hospital so he would not get behind. The teacher came to our home twice a week.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 5, 2012
8:36 PM

Post #9350999

Thanks for that info Cindy. I may have to check into it. She got on my computer today and printed out some of her assignments but she only managed to finish 1/2 of 1 sheet of World Geography. She is pretty weak. The Dr. said she can eat anything but watch the acidic foods, carbonated or fruit drinks. I've tried to keep her on softer foods. She is tired of the same bland foods. But he told me today that she can eat a salad, light on the cheese.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2012
8:52 PM

Post #9351003

Just stopping in to say hello and wish everyone a happy holiday season...
gen2026
Camden, AR

December 6, 2012
7:28 AM

Post #9351211

Glad to hear that they do have that type of program in LA too... it might be some type of federal mandate instead of state... We usually aren't 'progressive' in Arkansas unless it is mandated by somebody! :) Hopefully that scan Tuesday will get some much needed answers!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 6, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9351237

Christmas shopping almost done!!! Yea for internet shopping! I have all the gifts for all the grandkids! That's the most important thing. What the boys want is not always the same amount so I just give cash to round it all up to the same amount.
gen2026
Camden, AR

December 6, 2012
9:49 AM

Post #9351307

Yep, this is the first time EVER that I have been finished so early... and I have several wrapped already, and the tree up with lights only so far. I hope to get the tree finished this weekend with Jessi home and then get the gifts under it!! We will have my family get together on the 23 - so at least it will be ready a couple of weeks in advance! There have been some years i have been wrapping gifts the day they were coming!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 6, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9351677

Hi, Trish! Pop in any time!

I've finished all my Christmas shopping too---we have 25 immediate family folks (including married couples) to give to so they are all getting gift cards! ROFL With Al's family and mine, there are a lot of kids, grandkids, etc. and it is just too hard to try to please teens these days--they are sooooo picky--thus the gift cards. The married grandkids are just as hard to buy for and they will get gift cards, too. Voila! shopping done! :D I would really prefer to give something more personal but it is just to difficult to shop for that many people and try to figure out what they need or want.
(This coming year I am going to start putting money back every month so we won't get hit so hard next December.)

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 6, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9351757

That's why I get list's from everyone along with a link where I can order it! I don't want to spend my time and money shopping for something they don't want or need and will never use. That way I also coordinate with their parents so we don't duplicate things. But with 25 gift cards are about the only way to go. My next door neighbor has lots of grandchildren that are married and now great grandchildren. That's what they started doing several years ago. I think they just actually give cash.

Marilyn how are you and Al going to spend your Christmas. Will you all go to your daughter Michelle's or go to his son's.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 7, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9352065

Charlotte, we will be moving around a lot during the holidays. At various times we will be doing the following:
driving down to Benton, AR for our celebration with my two other Michelle "daughters" and their families. (Michelle Finney and Michelle Broadway).

Going to my daughter's house for our yearly Christmas get-together with their family group which will include 14 of us for brunch.

Driving to St. Louis to spend a few days up there with Al's youngest sister and her family and also to see his younger son and his son's two grown daughters and their families, including two great-granddaughters, ages 2 and 3.

At some point in time we will have to arrange to see my son and his two kids, Zachary and Samantha. He hasn't decided yet when he wants to get together. Like many men, Jason never plans ahead. LOL (drives me crazy!)

Are you confused yet? I am! ROFL

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 7, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9352093

I was just talking to someone yesterday that was talking about her son (in college) and how it drove her crazy that men will never make plans in advance. I think it's just a man thing!

Well you covered everyone but Al's older son. You didn't mention him and his family.

I'm glad mine is simple! I go to CA on the 21th and then after I get back Richard's daughter and family will come over here to celebrate. We never get together with Richard's brother at Christmas or Thanksgiving. They have kids and grandkids that live away so their holidays are complicated. For some reason if we get together with them during a holiday it is usually Easter. There are no great grandkids in either of our families. Although Richard's brother that is still alive is in his late seventies his grandchildren range from about 21 down to around 3. They have 3 grandchildren under 9! Their son's were late getting started with a family! Even the same in his brother that died family. He had two daughters and their children are now just 12 through 6. They live out of state.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 7, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9352652

Oh, I forgot to say that Al's older son and his family (wife and four boys ages 15--23) will be coming over to our house on the 21st for supper. They only live an hour away from here and it has been their habit to come here every year sometime before Christmas because they always go to her folks in St. Louis for Christmas Day.

Al and I went to Mountain Home today for his regular check up with the doctor who treats his diabetes. All of his blood work looked good except that she said he needed more protein in his diet which was a surprise to me. We eat meat at every evening meal plus we have eggs two or three times a week for breakfast and he eats a turkey or ham sandwich almost every day for lunch. On the days when he doesn't have a sandwich, he will eat some kind of soup that has meat in it. At any rate, I think it will be a good idea to add more beans to his diet because they are high in protein so I bought some dried pinto beans and some dried black beans to cook. I'm personally not real fond of pinto beans but I do like black beans. I've been searching the internet for recipes. If any of you have recipes for the beans, I would like some suggestions, please and thank you.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

December 7, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9352674

I like pintos, with lots of cornbread ! Guess that takes most of the good for you away. You can rinse and use canned black beans in any soup, I use a lot of black beans in soups and casseroles, trying to get more protein in Mammaws diet as she still has her own teeth, but very few of them, it is hard for her to chew meat. I also put lentils in her soup sometime. There is a good dip that you use black beans and jarred salsa, but you probably don't want the salt in the chips, it is very good, just mix the 2 together, (be sure to rinse the beans) add some grated cheese and chow down !

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 7, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9352706

LOL!!! When I cooked you always start with the trilogy, onion, garlic & celery simmered with some pieces of ham, 1 T bacon grease or I suppose olive oil until transparent. Add the beans and about 8 cups of water. I let it come to a good boil. Put a wooden spoon across the pot and put the lid on and turn down and let it slow cook until tender. Down here we add Tony's Cachere along with salt & pepper to taste. Be careful the pot doesn't go dry and like Sandra said lots of cornbread. I may have just talked myself into cooking a pot of these. Marilyn, there is also a smoothie that I get for Ashley called Angel Food that has a lot of protein in it. Be sure and tell the smoothie place that Al is diabetic.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 7, 2012
9:00 PM

Post #9352714

Like Jeri back in the days when I actually cooked (certainly not now) I cooked a lot of dried beans. I like to put dried pinto beans or black beans in soup. I do make a lot of soup during the winter and keep it frozen in single serving size containers. I never use an actual recipe when I make soup. But one I used to make for my dad you sauteed ground beef, and onion and celery if you like it , until the ground beef is done and the onions translucent. Then I added tomato juice for stock, usually some chicken or beef bouillon and potatoes, carrots, corn, green beans. You could also add pinto and or black beans.

Like Sandra I add lentils and other beans to my soup. When I make soup for myself I usually just go through the freezer and pull out all the vegetables I've bought but never gotten around to cooking, add some potatoes and lentils, beans, ham , turkey if I have it. I've discovered sweet potatoes are actually very good in soup. I also use the Tony Carchere a lot.

Just thought of another thing. Chili. I always use beans in my chili. Something else I do keep in the freezer during the winter.

I also like to just cook dried beans with a ham hock and onions and of course cornbread to go with them! If we go to Cracker Barrel I always get "beans and greens". A bowl of pinto beans and a bowl of turnip green with cornbread! I grew up eating them!

If you don't want to use dried ones you can also buy frozen ones. I used to always buy a couple of bushel of pinto beans in the summer and freeze them. (Back in the cooking days!) If I'm cooking just pinto beans to go with a meal, I just add salt and pepper and a piece of bacon. I used to have one of those small pressure cookers. The kind that's not much bigger than a 2 quart boiler. They are real time savers when cooking beans.

My ex-husband's mother also cooked a lot of dried pinto beans. I remember it well because she would give Jeff the bad ones to plant in a little bed on the side of the house. They would actually grow. He always had a crop of beans growing. His mother was really good with kids. Might be a way to entertain Eli Sandra!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 7, 2012
9:10 PM

Post #9352718

Another idea - raw nuts. Raw unsalted almonds are a great snack. I keep a container full of those all the time Also peanut butter on apples slices or slit a banana down the middle and stuff it with peanut butter.

Also I keep intending to mention but always forget that Kristi spent a good part of her growing up years in St Louis. I know St. Louis is a big place and the chances of Al having know her family is slim to none. Her dad was a Luthern minister and her mother an RN at a hospital. Their name was Ylvsacker. Not a name you would forget and neither was he. A big man around 6'3" or more and extremely out going.

This message was edited Dec 7, 2012 11:55 PM
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

December 8, 2012
2:44 AM

Post #9352778

Marilyn if you can find Louisiana brand pkg foods they make red beans and rice that is very good and fast to make . You can make it in 30 min so it would make a nice hot high protein lunch especially if you added link sausage or browned hamburger to it. The rice is in the pkg so you would not be able to remove it if Al could not have it due to the diabetes. We have tried other brands but find this is the best one. It is pretty spicy . Sometimes I add a can of diced tomatoes to it not the rotel because it is too hot. I have a trick someone taught me so you never have to soak beans overnight. Put them in a large pot with lots of water bring to a boil and cut off. Let set couple hours. Pour that water off. Add new water cook to tender with desired seasonings. They will cook just as quickly and tender as if you had soaked them overnight. Sometimes I will sauté drained beans a bit with my oil , seasoning meat, onions, garlic, etc in my pot then add my water back and cook to tender. We like what we call ham bean soup. I take baby white Limas and cook them this way. I cook them till they are falling apart making a soup the last 20 min I add 1 inch square ham cut up. I usually use a slab ham steak and cut it up.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 8, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #9352842

Cindy I cook the red beans and rice a lot also. Zatarains is the one I usually find in my grocery store. Like you I add chopped up link sausage to mine. Very quick easy dish. All this is reminding me of some quick things I can cook.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 8, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9352846

My, my ladies, I am overwhelmed with all the suggestions on how to use the beans. Thanks so much for your input! Al LOVES anything spicy, in fact he keeps chili hot sauce on hand and puts a "dousing" of it on almost everything on his plate. He says he likes his food to have a "bite" to it. LOL On the other hand, I don't much care for anything that burns my tongue or makes me break out in a sweat. ROFL He also loves rice but I usually use the brown rice or dirty rice.
Yes, we can get the Louisiana brand of pkg. foods here. As far as the diabetes is concerned, he sticks himself every morning to keep up with the numbers. His numbers are usually good but if he eats too many sweets like he did this week when I was baking the cookies his numbers will go up. However, most of the time he is somewhere between 90 and 110 which is really good. I watch his numbers like a hawk and remind him when he eats too many sweets or even too many carbs. He loves to snack on Cheetos, etc., so the only time I buy those are when we are having the card group over which is once a month.

I am not familiar with the Tony Carchere. Is that a hot sauce of some kind?

Jeri, do you have to get the Angel Food smoothie at a health food store? There is a great health food store in a small town about 35 miles from here. The name of the town is Ava, MO. It still has a very active town square which has some really neat shops around the square including this health food store and also a message therapist/day spa business. Amazing to find those two businesses in a town of just 3000 people! They even have a Wal-Mart super center and a McDonald's, but not on the square---LOL. I love to go to Ava and just "plunk around". There is a drug store there that still has nickel ice cream (one scoop of vanilla). My kind of town!! :D

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 8, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9352849

Tony Carchere is a seasoning in a powder form. A Louisiana style seasoning. We like a little pop to our food too.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

December 8, 2012

Post #9352875

You can also do dry beans in the crock pot, just wash them and put them in with plenty of water, forget about them for about 5 hours, just check the water because after they swell, you might not have as much as you thought. Of course you can add bacon, ham, whatever you like.

This is a good recipe, I made it and left the cheese out in Mammaws, and found out that this is one recipe that is better without cheese !

http://www.home-ec101.com/collard-greens-and-northern-beans/

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 8, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9352915

Marilyn we get them at Smoothie King. I get her the small one for a little less then $5.00 here. One of her Dr's. recommended it. They are also very good after surgery to aid in the healing process. I had never even been to a Smoothie King and was amazed at the selections. They have them to gain weight and another one to loose weight. You could very easily get addicted to them. Here they are right across the street from Walmart so you know how convenient that is. LOL!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 8, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9352940

I like smoothies too. Of course you can make your own and probably add protein powder to it for the extra protein. But I've discovered a bottled smoothie at the grocery store I really like. I know there are some that are called protein smoothies. There are 2 or 3 brands my Kroger carries. The only brand I can remember is Bolthouse Farms. I usually keep some in the fridge. Great for a quick lunch on the go. Also my Kroger has specials on them all the time and I buy whatever is on special. They also mark things down about a week before the expiration date and I pick up whatever I can find they mark down. You probably need to check the label for the sugar content. At my grocery store they are next to the health food section in a dairy case next to the deli. Of course every store will be different. I'm not a Wal Mart shopper but I have noticed the Bolthouse smoothies at Sam's. They usually have a big display of them in the fruit section.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 8, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9352945

Happy BD, Marilyn!!! Getting younger every year. Hope you have the best day!!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

December 8, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #9353142

Usually the smoothies are high in sugar unless you get a sugar free. I made some banana ice cream last night with frozen bananas, buttermilk and some Splenda ! It was pretty good, but it would still have a pretty high sugar count as only 1/2 of a banana is a serving size for diabetics. It was still better for me than regular ice cream though !

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 8, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #9353193

Sarah and I went to a potluck luncheon today. There is a Japanese lady that is part of the group She does a lot of cooking with tofu. She brought the best Chocolate pie. It was made with tofu and was delicious! This is the recipe she used. She used dark chocolate rather than the semi-sweet. The pie crust is the only thing about it that has sugar. She also put almonds coated in dark chocolate around the edge of the pie. The texture was like a french silk pie.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/alton-browns-dairy-free-chocolate-pie
gen2026
Camden, AR

December 8, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9353291

Charlotte, do you happen to have a round table and chairs or maybe even an oval one for sale in your booth? Alex and natalie are considering trying to bump up to a slightly larger table to be able to sit more than one other couple when they have friends over to eat...

Sounds like you ladies are planning on doing a LOT of cooking! I grew up on brown beans (dried pinto beans) and fried potatoes... don't think we would have had much to eat if it hadn't been for them. We ate a LOT of purple hull peas too. In fact, Leigh and I had left over PH peas and cornbread with supper! :)

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 8, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9353298

No Genna I don't have any tables or dining type chairs right now. I've had them and will have them again but I never know what I will find when!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

December 9, 2012
9:18 PM

Post #9354256

Happy belated birthday Marilyn. We had a wonderful weekend hunting with the boys. I got a picture of an albino squirrel. That's a pretty rare sight. I missed a really big deer with my new gun this weekend I still don't know what happened unless I shot over him because he was only about 40 yds away. I sighted it in at an 1 and 1/2 high at hundred yds so it should have been good at 40. Operator error I am sure. It was the biggest deer I have ever shot at and my first miss. I took this picture before I decided to shoot. Our restrictions are really fierce so I wanted to make sure he was big enough. I decided he was and shot. I really thought I hit him but I never found any blood or sign of a hit. Oh well maybe I will see him again someday.
Brandon killed this 13 point monster the same evening. He scored 169 and 1/2. I think he is the biggest deer ever taken on our club. He is so massive that a photo is misleading. He just doesn't photo as big as he really is. We needed another in the pic to show his size. He was 5 inches around the base of his horns.

Thumbnail by Riverland   Thumbnail by Riverland   Thumbnail by Riverland      

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 9, 2012
9:45 PM

Post #9354273

We have lots and lots of squirrels but I've never seen an albino squirrel before!!! Interesting!

That is a big deer Brandon got! Sorry you missed yours. Hopefully he'll show back up again and you can get him next time!

We got a good rain today and it's supposed to get a little cooler tomorrow. It's supposed to get in the twenties Mon and Tues night but back fairly warm during the day. I still don't have my lights up in the new pop up greenhouse. I do have them and a new extension cord so guess I better get on the ball and put them up tomorrow! I'm actually looking forward to a little cooler weather. It's been too hot for this time of year. And you might know I still have 3 or 4 plants that need to go in for the winter! On the list for tomorrow too! One I have just been overlooking! It just occurred to me today that I'm looking at a very large elephant in a pot every day! One of those DUH moments!

gen2026
Camden, AR

December 10, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9354500

My brugs are still on my front porch - they are in between the bay windows near my front door - and they were there even when the temps dropped to 29 those few nights... Do I need to cut them off before I move them into my garage? or just leave them? I wasn't sure what I needed to do. I had meant to get a picture of one of the small ones ya'll brought to the roundup for me. It was one of the little ones and I repotted it when I got home with it - and it grew to about 8" tall or so...but BLOOMED - and the bloom was longer than the plant was tall. Talk about unusual looking!! I couldn't believe that a brug so small bloomed!

Cindy, those are some monster bucks! Sorry to hear you missed yours. Some of the guys here at work the other day watched as three ferel dogs drowned a big monster buck in the river as he was trying to get away from the dogs! They were just sick that such a huge buck was lost!... of course, we don't have big bucks like you do. They said this was at least a 10 pt and possibly 12 or more! Kinda hard to believe he lost his life to three dogs... and the dogs didn't get him either because he went under.

Ya'll just keep your eyes out for a round table for me if you don't mind... I have one in my attic that I got from a friend but it only has 4 chairs with it - and I would need to redo it all...not really a pretty set but I took it because I knew we might need it when one of the kids moves into an apartment on campus.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 10, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #9354520

Genna you don't need to do anything to the brug. Just bring it into your garage as is. The height of it doesn't have anything to do with when it blooms. It blooms after it makes a "y". The cutting you got probably was from above a "y". Any cutting you get above a "y" will bloom earlier than a cutting from below the "y".

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

December 10, 2012
7:17 AM

Post #9354523

Cindy, do you cook the deer or just share it with everyone at the club? I know Brandon will not be able to wear his cap for several days--lol ! I bet you were wishing you had your old gun you were used to.

I had a very nice weekend, Sat, Amanda and Ben and the girls came and they were going on to her Dads for the Christmas supper there. All of a sudden Ben came flying in the door and grabbed my chair and he and Jerry toolkit out the door, they said I looked like someone took my best friend, then I looked out and a big box was in the back of Bems truck ! I have a new chair ! Those of you who have been here lately know how badly mine was broken down. It is just like the one Amanda bought whe. She got her new furniture and I loved it, so they got me one too. It was from Amanda, Ben, Charity, Faith, and Jerry and Cayla and Eli ! Jerry had wanted to get me one for a while, but his taste and mine in chairs is completely different. I kept telling him I didn't want one as I didn't want him picking it out. He doesn't think this one sits good, but I love, love, love it ! They loved that they totally pulled it over on me and I had no idea.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 10, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #9354535

I know you love your chair Sandra!! What fun that they were actually able to pull it off without you knowing about it!!! I finally bought myself a comfortable chair a few years ago (I had been sitting on the loveseat). It is my "office" now! LOL I bought a little 3 drawer cabinet I can keep things in to use when I'm in my chair but that I can roll out of site when I have company.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 10, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9354563

Cindy I know Yall are so proud of Brandon!!! Good job!!! That albino squirrel with the brown tail is hilarious!!! I've seen them completely white but never 1/2 & 1/2. Sorry you missed yours but maybe next time. Be sure and check the sight to make sure it didn't knock off a little.

Sandra I am so happy they surprised you. I bet that really got your blood moving!!! LOL!! I bet it's hard to put one over on you!!! New chair and what you wanted!! Yea!!!

With Ashley being sick for the past 2 weeks and all the visits to the different Drs. again. I have no Christmas spirit. I'm ordering finger foods for Christmas. I was hoping to get Jimmy to put up the outside lights today but got up to it flooding so I guess that is out. My tree is up but as of yet not decorated. If I don't get some energy or spirit soon it will all be over. At least putting everything up will be easy. Any suggestions on how to get a shot of that elusive spirit?

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

December 10, 2012
12:36 PM

Post #9354811

Yes, count your blessings!! If you start counting your blessings and acknowledge where they all came from, then you will be overflowing with "THE SPIRIT". If Jesus had not offered Himself to leave the very glory of Heaven to come to this sin filled world we would have no hope of anything. He laid down the splendor of Heaven and came to earth to save us.
I know it is hard having a sick child, I have been there, Cayla was very sick as a small child and has had several health problems even into her teen years. Today is the anniversary of my Gunny's death, that was the hardest Christmas season I ever lived through, but today I choose to think about the glory that she and Mamma and the ones gone before are enjoying. Had that sweet baby Jesus not came and given His life, where oh where would we be.
Celebrate Jesus, Jeri !
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=znKO_o8rXok
gen2026
Camden, AR

December 10, 2012
1:39 PM

Post #9354868

Amen to that Sandra! Where WOULD we be without Jesus?? I don't see how people deal with this horrible world without Him - or how they deal with death in the family? WIthout hope in Him I don't know how anyone gets by... December is the hardest month for me as far as missing my parents goes. Not as much Christmas as my birthday - just really hard to go thru the day without them calling to wish me a happy birthday... it has always been what gets me the most. But, I try hard to do as you do Sandra and count my blessings and enjoy the wonderful memories. Thank the Lord I had wonderful parents who loved me - not everyone can say that!!

Congratulations on your new chair! I hope you enjoy it. It is always wonderful when you get a nice surprise - and glad for you that the girls picked it out instead of Jerry... :-) I know my gift receiving has sure improved since Jessica has been old enough to "help" in suggestions and selections! LOL

Jeri, so sorry that all the sickness and dr visits has interupted your Christmas spirit... but I do hope that the test tomorrow proves to be beneficial and supplies them with some much needed answers! I will be praying for you both! I have the tree up and partially decorated, and some gifts wrapped and under it. I am thinking seriously about stopping there...LOL... at least on the decorating. It will be less to put up when it is over! A sure sign I am getting old I guess. But, Jessica put up my nativities, and so I think I am going with a partially decorated tree and call it done! :) I have a whole box of ornaments that I haven't even gotten to yet - and a whole 'nother tree that I usually put up. Just don't think I am going to bother this year. Have a few more things to wrap, Christmas candy to make, and a menu to decide on for my family get together and I will be done. Will be another week or more before I start the Christmas candy so Jessi will be home to help me. Today is her 19th birthday ...boy time really does fly! Her and Kyle have finals this week and then they will be home on Friday. She is working almost every day of her Christmas break - she told her boss she needed to work as many days as possible - and her boss took her up on it. She will have enough days work to pay the extra fees for having a private room since her roommate is leaving OBU on Thursday, and pay the small balance on her tuition if needed. If Leigh is able to transfer without having to move off somewhere then she can just put it back for spending money in case she ends up pledging this coming semester because that will take extra money.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 11, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9355912

Sandra, well said!!!! All the commercialism just makes me sad. Our society has become too caught up in all the materialistic stuff! I was watching the Today show this morning and they were asking their 3 "experts" about Christmas and giving, etc., etc., and Star Jones said she didn't worry about it because "Jesus is the reason for the season". You could have knocked me over with a feather!!!! I shouted at the TV--"way to go, Star!" I am surprised the network didn't "bleep" her words out.
By the way, Sandra, that link didn't work for me.

Cindy, sorry you missed your deer but a big congrats to Brandon! I know he was thrilled! The albino squirrel is really something--a rare sight!

Thanks for the birthday wishes ladies. I had a lovely birthday! :-)

A belated Happy Birthday to Jessi!

Sandra: Hooray for the chair and that they were able to pull off the surprise!! :D

After Buddy died, I bought myself a ladies' recliner. It is my favorite chair--and one of the few pieces of furniture that I kept when I moved away from Cabot. Now I know why men get attached to one chair and won't give them up even when they are falling apart. LOL

I need to tell you all about the afternoon I had on my birthday AFTER Al took me to Rockbridge Trout Resort for lunch, which was wonderful. Rockbridge is 40 miles from our house. I told Al that I wanted to take pictures of old barns in the area on our way home. We started out on a state highway which is a good road and well-traveled. Then we came to another highway called Z Highway. (They name the lesser state highways after letters up here.) Al said, "Let's go this way, I haven't been down this road in years." So down Z Highway we went. I took photos of a couple of barns as we went along. Then we came to a spot in the road where we had to decide to go straight and follow Z Highway or turn left onto one of the county roads. Al said we needed to turn left onto the county road to get back to our house, so we did. As we went along, the road went from gravel to just plain dirt. We came to this stretch of woods where we saw this sign painted in big purple letters that said "NOPE", then a bit further we saw the typical no trespassing signs and tree trunks painted with purple paint that signifies no hunting/no trespassing. We drove a bit further and saw a sign that said "KEEP GOING". Through the woods we could see a deer stand in the distance. As we drove on we came to another sign that said "NOPE". :D It was clear that somebody didn't want anybody hunting on their property. We came to a house that had a vehicle in front of it but it wasn't the type of place where you stop and ask for directions. I told Al that we had better plug in the GPS and let it get us home because this time Al admitted that he wasn't sure where we were. So that is what we did and the sweet voice of the GPS got us back to the main highway where Al knew where we were and we made it safely home. Believe me, Ozark County, MO is not the kind of place where you want to get lost because you could travel in circles for days and not find your way out of the national forest in this area. Then, too, as I said earlier, it is not the sort of area in those backwoods where you stop one of the locals (if you can even find a local) and ask for directions. You are liable to be met at the front door with a shotgun! ;!
Anyway, that was my birthday adventure and I will have to say that I got some good photos of old barns. ROFL (but I think we will stay on the "beaten path" in the future.)

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 11, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9355913

WOW, Sandra. I'm almost afraid to tell you I couldn't get the link to work.

They did Ashley's test today and they let me watch. I couldn't tell much but you could see it wasn't passing through her stomach. We should hear from the Dr. tomorrow as to if there is a blockage or not. I found another article on gastroparasis that explains the diet so that I could understand it better. It's gonna be different. I have never heard of no vegetables and no fiber. I just wish Ashley wouldn't be suffering so much.

Genna thanks for your prayers, they are very much appreciated!!!

Tell Jessi, Happy BD!!! You are so right about how fast they grow up!!! I hope she gets some time off so she doesn't burn out from the overload.

Terri had to go pick Cameron up from college today b/c she found out he had failed his 2nd test and become so overwhelmed he just quit. She talked to a counselor and showed her his medical records with the head injury and they dropped him from his classes instead of giving him 0's. This way if he ever decides to give it a try again his grade average won't have suffered from all the zeros.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 11, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9355916

We crossed, Jeri. So sorry about Ashley's troubles. Give her a big hug from us! Hugs to Cameron, too!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 11, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9355919

We sure did Marilyn!!! I'm glad Yall had the GPS!!! I don't think I would have stopped for directions either!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 11, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9355968

Glad you all found your way home safely Marilyn! Those are the kind of roads my 82 year old aunt and I used to drive around on! But we were looking for old home family places and other remembrances! I have really missed her and our trips! Your description made me think of her but she knew or knew off most of the people in the county! I'm also one of those people that have those purple marks and no hunting signs! When my dad died I discovered he had been leasing his land to a hunting club. I didn't renew their lease and really don't want people tromping over my land!

I have lots of fond memories of my grandfathers old barn. That was our favorite place to play when I was a kid. We used to jump out of the hay loft. The object was to see who could jump out without getting the breath knocked out of them!! Wonder we didn't kill ourselves! I got my breath knocked out plenty of times!!! Too many of those old buildings have been torn down!!

Jeri glad they seem to at least be making some progress in figuring out what is wrong with Ashley!!

I was going to paint the top of an old table tonight. It was one that had a floral design in wood on the top but the finish on the top really looked bad. The rest of it was in good shape. I decided to sand the top before I painted it and was pleased to discover the wood design went all the way through!! After sanding all the old finish off I was able to just put a coat of minwax on it and it looks great!!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

December 12, 2012

Post #9356271

Jeri,anxious to hear what the tests results show... hopefully they are FINALLY on the road to helping her feel better!! I am sorry to hear that about Cameron! Maybe they should have had his medical records initially. I know there are kids in college who get extra time on tests and things like that because of medical issues or learning disabilities. Maybe he just needs some additional time to get his answers on paper due to his past injuries? They might check into that and see if it is an option for when he returns to college...

Marilyn, sounds like you took the road less traveled... and made an adventure out of it! :) Glad that you were able to return safely - and you will have fun memories to talk about now. I grew up taking Sunday drives with my parents - we would just get in the car and start driving and no body seemed to know where we were going to end up , but we usually ended up at a long lost relative or friend's house and visiting for a while. It was always an adventure and I have some neat memories from it. I remember one Sunday afternoon when I was very small, we ended up at this lady's house and she had dogs and chickens and everything else practically in her home that she "ran outside " so we could come in to visit. I have NO IDEA who this lady was and as far as I know I never saw her again, but I have vivid memories of that day and the big country home she lived in all alone except for her animals. Wish I knew now WHO she was or even WHERE we were... we only seemed to do that when I was very small. My Dad became disabled when I was 9 and I guess we never had the money to just be wasting gas to drive all around after that... not sure.

I love old barns! Wish I could transport one to my house...with a large windmill too! :)

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

December 12, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #9356301

I remember Sunday afternoon drives too, I went on dates after church in the afternoon, just to drive around and maybe get a coke somewhere, of course after getting married it turned into a milkshake instead--lol !

The link worked for me and I got it to playing again and copied it again
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=znKO_o8rXok
Looks like the same one, so just go to you Tube and search for Sweet Baby Jesus, by Sheri Easter, I played it over and over that afternoon.
I know you are so glad that you finally have a doctor who is trying to find out what is wrong and maybe today will be the day ! Then you can start getting her well again.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

December 12, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9356615

Sandra yes we do eat the deer meat when we get one. Brandon gives most of his to a couple of guys that work for him. Josh is my frugal one. He actually hunts for meat. With a family of 5 and one income he has to get a break somewhere.

Jeri I hope y'all get some results soon. Do you remember the folding wagon we saw the oriental lady with at the NO botanical gardens this spring? Do you remember where she said she got it. I need one but can't remember. Was it Sams?

Well I have been setting up a little booth at an indoor flea market the last two weeks. I don't know if this is something I will keep doing but will see. It is not an antique mall and when I say small it is. 3 ft by 6 ft but that's all he has available and there is a waiting list. I think I would enjoy it if I could get something big enough to do some pieces of furniture. That is the my thing, not knicknacks and glass ware. I sold several dollhouse furniture pieces and an iron wall decor last weekend so I made the months rent. I did some gift baskets yesterday for the gardener with gloves books etc. Will see if it will sell before Christmas. I tried to rent some blank wall space for the remaining month but he said he had plans for it. I have some large pictures and an ornate mirror that I could have put on that wall. Also it wouldn't look empty before you get to us if somethings were on the wall. Oh well just playing around anyway. It is getting me out of the house more. I tend to become a recluse in the winter. I really need a wagon or something to drag my stuff in and out.

Hope to get some serious hunting in this weekend if the joints will allow. If not just spend time with the family.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 12, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9356796

Cindy glad you got a space at the mall! I'm like you I enjoy the furniture best but you can still find some unusual things that are small and are not necessarily glassware. I have really enjoyed having my space. I've always been used to being around a lot of different people every day and having a lot of activity. I really enjoy meeting people when I'm out looking for stuff and almost every time I'm in the mall I run into someone I know but haven't seen in a long time.

I don't know what kind of folding wagon you're looking for but one thing I have that helps some is one of those bags with wheels. I think I got mine at Garden Ridge. Our mall has some big dolly's (long flat bed) and I park close to the door to unload and use one of those to put my stuff on to take into the mall (even if it's not furniture).

One thing I have I wish I could find more of are some folding crates. It's about the width of a file box but a little longer and the whole thing just collapses and is about two inches tall when collapsed. I bought 2 of them a number of years ago and have wished every since then that I had bought more!

Have fun hunting! Our hiking group has a hike this Sat. I'm looking forward to it. I think the weather is going to be nice.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2012
8:39 PM

Post #9356923

Cindy it was at Sam's. I got me one as soon as I got home. They have all the spring stuff put up but maybe it's still out. It wasn't that expensive. I think $50.00. I need to go to Sam's soon as I get Ashley back to school I'll look for you. I tried to google it but got no where.

You are like Charlotte, Cindy. I don't know where Yall find all the time to do what Yall do. Do Yall sleep?
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

December 12, 2012
8:53 PM

Post #9356935

Charlotte I have one of the upright metal carts ( has a bag liner I never use )on wheels that fold flat. It is a little larger than the bag on wheels. It will stand up on its on since it has four wheels. The wagon is like a little red wagon but a little deeper made of canvas and metal . It folds flat for storage.
Jeri I was afraid it might be a spring item. I need to go look and see. It was really neat. I had my cart with me when we were walking around in NO buying plants and it did come in handy. You just can't put a long box in it except side first. A wagon would be a little more handy to roll a couple boxes.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

December 12, 2012
8:56 PM

Post #9356939

If I remember right it looked like this

Thumbnail by Riverland

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 12, 2012
9:15 PM

Post #9356959

That is neat! I wouldn't mind having one of those. I have one of those same metal carts that fold up and the liner. I haven't used it in ages. I bought mine at Canton one year. It did work great at Canton.

The bag on wheels I bought at Garden Ridge is similar but smaller and stands on it's own. It's all canvas with a zipper on the top. You can't put a box in it but I pack things in it like I would a box and then just take the whole thing out of the car and roll in. It will hold quite a bit. I've taken it to auctions before and packed stuff into it rather than a box. I've noticed another lady that does the same thing.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 13, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #9357131

Yes this wagon is wonderful, especially since I have such a small car. I can fold it up and still fit plants in the back. I think it would be perfect for what you need too, Cindy.

We got the results from Ashley's test and they don't show a blockage so in one sense that is good but she is still having the same problem and since the test with the barium her stomach has hurt worst. The Dr. called and said to give her Miralax every hour for 4 hours and we did that yesterday and nothing so far. They don't believe in suppositories or enamas(sp) any more or this Dr. doesn't.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

December 13, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9357164

Oh Jeri, was sure hoping for an answer with that test.

Cindy did you look at SAMs on line. Please don't work yourself down with the booth. I am glad you are enjoying it, just take it easy

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 13, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9357193

Thanks Sandra!!! Me too!!! I feel like we are back at square one other than the Dr. does still think that she has that gastroparasis.

I looked online for Cindy and couldn't find it but will check at Sam's when I get to go.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 13, 2012
4:54 PM

Post #9357605

Sandra, I tried that link again and it appears to be just for mobile phones. I will just look for the song on youtube--maybe I can find it that way.

Cindy: I agree with Sandra--have fun, but don't over-work yourself! That fold-up wagon is really neat looking. I have never seen one like that.

I love "plunking around" in flea markets--you just never know what you might find. A lot of the booths are way overpriced on their merchandise, in my opinion, but those are mainly the ones that have a lot of glassware and trinkets.
Al and I bought an old iron garden gate at a flea market this last summer. I wanted one to put in the flower bed because I had bought some seeds of an old-fashioned flower called "Kiss me over the garden gate". My cousin had those in her flower bed and I thought they were beautiful. Naturally, I needed an old garden gate to go with the seeds. LOL Well, the seeds are supposed to be planted
in the fall so when I went to look for where I put the seed package, I couldn't find them!!! ARRRRRGGGGHHH! I'll just have to keep looking and hope it isn't too late to get them planted. :(

Jeri: so sorry that Ashley is still having these symptoms. SOMEWHERE there just has to be an answer for what is causing her problems. Hugs to you both!!

Have you all seen the meteor shower? tonight is supposed to be a good night to view it--between midnight and 2 a.m. is supposed to be the best time in our area but I will definitely not be awake at those hours! LOL We are going outside now to look--hopefully, we will be able to see at least some of it.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 13, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9357638

That was what I ended up doing too, Marilyn. It is really pretty.

Cindy & I, both almost attacked this little Japanese lady that had one at the New Orleans Botanical Garden plant sale last year. I came right home and found one. I love mine. It has a canvas carrying case to put it neatly in the trunk.

Thanks for the well wishes for Ashley. I believe that too!! I just hate that she has to suffer while we are on this scalvager hunt for the answer.

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 14, 2012
4:08 AM

Post #9357849

Good morning, y'all! I just got home from an almost 2-week trip. Have been reading and so enjoying the photos (furniture, deer, etc), and the stories!! Oh the stories of getting lost and seeing the 'Nope' signs, Marilyn, made me laugh, but it is kinda scary!

Cindy, so sorry you missed your 'big one' but glad Brandon got such a nice trophy buck! What good family fun! I don't think I ever mentioned what a great job you did with the doll house and furniture. That is awesome and so special!

Jeri, glad you are better and I almost feel the same way as you about the spirit. I am so far behind where i'd like to be I almost don't know what to do next. Woke up this morning early planning to start laundry and we had no water!! Great way to start out at 4:30 am!! Anyway after getting home at 3:30, we went to my daughters and I took a shower and we had our first Living Christmas Tree performance last night. I was exhausted but pushed through it with prayers from my alto section buddies and caffeine, am so glad I did as it was so meaningful and really got me back into what the season is really about.

Sandra, enjoy your new chair! Glad you had such a nice surprise from your family.

Charlotte, you are busy as usual and your furniture pieces are beautiful!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 14, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9357930

We've been missing you Elaine! Glad to see your back! Where did you go on vacation?
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 14, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9358002

I'm guessing Elaine was on a business trip but I could be wrong. (What? Me? Wrong? LOL) I haven't seen a Living Christmas Tree program in years. I would really like to attend another performance like that--they are usually very well done. I will have to investigate and find out if there is a program like that in our area--maybe next year.

We did go out around 10 p.m. last night to see the meteor shower. We saw maybe half a dozen meteors but that was about it. They were mainly just a quick flash in the sky--some brighter than others. It was too cold to stand outside for very long. I guess we were out there about 10 minutes.

Al had an appt. with his heart doctor yesterday--all is well but he is scheduled for a "routine" stress test in March to make sure his heart and arteries are doing okay since his heart attack 3 years ago. After reading all the instructions and the information about what happens during a stress test, (I've never had one), I think I would tell the doctor to "Skip it and think of something else to check out my arteries!" :o~ Oh, well, "you gotta do what you gotta do"!

We are going down to central AR tomorrow for the week-end. We will see my son and grandson tomorrow afternoon and then go on down to Benton, AR to spend the night and go to another holiday get-together with Michelle #2 and Michelle #3 and their families.

You ladies have a good week-end! :o)

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 14, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #9358103

Marilyn not to alarm you but it is important that Al have the stress test regularly. My mother's family has a history of heart problems. Once you've had bypass surgery doesn't mean you'll never have to have it done again. My mother had quadruple by-pass surgery 2 times and needed it for the third time before she died but other complications (congestive heart failure) prevented them from being able to do it. She watched her diet (no fried foods, no salt, etc) and followed her doctor's instructions very carefully. She also walked every day even in the rain! My brother never had by pass surgery but he had numerous stents put in. He said he had rather have a stent put in than go to the dentist.
All that just to say it is something not to take lightly especially with his diabetic condition.
A number of years ago I decided I wanted to have a stress test just as a precaution. My doctor didn't really think I needed one but for my peace of mind he ordered one. It was not a big deal but I'm thinking Al will probably need to have one that involved a lot more than the one I had. Mine was just the treadmill type stress test.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

December 14, 2012
11:05 AM

Post #9358132

Pat has to have the chemical induced stress test and she hates it, they pretty much put you at the edge of a heart attack to see what they need to see.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 14, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9358292

Yes, it was a business trip. I'm exhausted. It was in London, which normally would be sort of fun, but it was very cold, so it wasn't fun to go out anywhere. It gets dark around 4 pm and the sun doesn't rise until after 8 am this time of year. It is pretty this time of year to see the city all decorated for Christmas. But we had really long work days most of the time I was there. I did have one weekend and did a little poking around.

Yes, Marilyn, the Living Christmas Tree is beautiful and we enjoy doing it. This is somewhere around our 12th year to do it.

I'm listening to the broadcasts about the horrible tragedy in Connecticut at the school. It makes me just sick. Of course, I've been teary today anyway. Today would have been my Mama's birthday, and I guess between being tired and that, I've been on the weepy side. You'll always miss your Mom, and you'll always want to hug your babies a little tighter after something like this tragedy. Prayers for everyone in Newtown, CT.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

December 14, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9358377

Yes, Elaine, I agree, I will always miss my Mom and my Gunny too. I cannot imagine the pain the families have to be in that lost their children today. No wonder you are tired if you have been working in London for 2 weeks.
It has been said there is no love like a Mothers love, I lost 2 Moms because I was raised in the house with Gunny. I miss my Granddaddy, but was never as close to him as Mamma and Gunny. Pat was telling me the other day that she can remember Gunny getting me up in her lap and trying to bump me to sleep when I was probably 4 or 5 years old, she said I was way too big for her lap, but she had me there anyway. Pat is 6 years older than I.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 14, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9358426

No wonder you're tired Elaine!

You all got me to thinking about Dec. I've had some really, really bad Decembers (my mom died Dec 13) but that wasn't even the worst one and some really, really good Decembers! I've decided I'm going to focus on those good ones! I got to thinking what made the good ones so special. One of the best was when I was single and and living alone. I planned to spend Christmas day with my parents and then we were going to have our big family get together a few days after Christmas. So rather than just sitting home alone on Christmas eve I decided to have a party! I invited a bunch of friends that I knew were going to be in the same situation as me. They would be alone on Christmas eve. It was a real mixed group of people. One lady brought her mother that could barely walk. I didn't think she was ever going to make it from the car into the house!! She was also almost deaf and couldn't join in any conversation because she couldn't hear. I felt so sorry for her just sitting there with everyone having a good time all around her. She was just sitting almost comatose! I still had Jeff's piano at the time and I had made copies of a bunch of Christmas carols and one lady knew how to play the piano. So after we finished eating she starting playing the piano and we joined in singing. All of a sudden the little old lady came alive and starting just singing away!!! She could feel the beat of the music! I will never forget the look on that ladies face and the reaction all the others had when she started singing! It made me feel so good that I had made the effort to bring us all together. The essences of what Christmas is all about! I gave her a special gift and it taught me a big lesson! One of the other really good Christmases was one that Richard and I spent at the Greenbrier in W. Virginia with another couple. A really magical Christmas. But that Christmas eve party is the one that always comes to mind when I start thinking about the past.
So I've decided to focus on the good and try to put the bad behind me!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 14, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9358443

Charlotte, that is a lovely story about the Christmas Eve party you had. Thanks for sharing it. :o)

My thoughts and prayers are with all of those affected by this terrible tragedy in Connecticut today.

Charlotte, Thank you for the information. I am not alarmed and I do take Al's health quite seriously. Since he is diabetic, I watch his diet carefully and I remind him to prick his finger every morning if he forgets. I keep a close watch on his "numbers". I have lost one husband and don't want to lose another one. Oh, I know we will both leave this earthly body some day but I am going to do my best to see to it that we do our part in keeping ourselves healthy. We both hope to be together for many years. :) I have no doubt that the cardiologist would not have ordered the stress test if he didn't think it was necessary. Al doesn't seem to mind having to go through that procedure. However, I have been the recipient of one doctor's well-meaning but wrong decision which nearly killed me back in 2003 and I'm not ever going through that again if I have anything to say about it. (I could probably have sued him but chose not to do so). I was just saying that as far as a stress test is concerned for myself, I would tell them to find another way to find out what they need to know. Taking someone to the "edge of a heart attack" is not my personal idea of a good way to find out what they want to know. I would rather have an angiogram than to have a stress test. Personally, I don't want to have to go through either of those procedures and I thank God that I haven't been required to go through them as yet! :o)

Elaine: too bad your trip to England was mostly work and not much play. The weather probably didn't help matters, either. :o~

This message was edited Dec 14, 2012 9:05 PM
gen2026
Camden, AR

December 14, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #9358479

Marilyn, a lot of doctors do order an angiogram periodically instead of a stress test because the info is absolute in an angiogram... but they can usually obtain basic info from the stress test. But, we wish him well with it when the time comes! The heart doctor I saw last year did an angiogram on me because he wanted to be able to SEE what he was dealing with. The procedure has come a long way and he went in thru my right wrist and it was basically painless... and I had little to no bleeding afterward.

Jeri, I am so sorry to hear that they didn't find anything - I guess the no blockage is good. I just hate that they still don't have any answers, and more importantly I hate that she is still miserable! I sure hope they get her some relief SOON!

Elaine, it sure sounds exciting to spend two weeks in London! But then I have never been out of the country, other than one night in Canada many, many years ago. So, any trip out of the country sounds fun to me! :)

The tragedy in Connecticut is so pitiful... I agree it just makes you want to grab your kids and not let go! I am sure many of you have heard about the tragic killing in Arkadelphia last week (the city where the kids go to college). They have arrested a 19 yr old guy in connection with killing a man and his two step daughters in their home. The girls were 4 and 6. I have a friend who knows the Dad and his family - and they held a visitation in Fordyce for their family and friends, then held a second visitation in Arkadelphia for the Mom and her family... she said the family was so distraught because 24 hrs later and the kids would have been with their dad and would not have been in that house!! It is just sooo sad. The Mom came home from somewhere and FOUND the girls dead... I can not imagine such a horrifying event! So sick!

Kyle and Jessi finished up there finals today. They both had chemistry at 7 a.m. ... lol Jessica said it was still dark while she was walking across campus. Kyle nailed his and made a 98 on it! So, he ended up with an A. Jessica didn't do as well, and ended up with a B in the class, but we think she will end up with As in everything else. Grades haven't posted in all classes yet so she can't be sure until then. Kyle should have all As - so it has been a good semester! This is the first B Jessica has EVER made, so it is a big adjustment! But, I think it might actually be a stress reliever in that she doesn't feel like she has to battle to keep that 4.0 now... We transferred in 21 hrs of classes from the local jr college of all As that she got for classes taken during school or concurrent credit, so that will help distribute that B some and not effect her gpa as bad. I think that next semester will be a lot easier for her as she has a better idea what to expect and how to deal with her study habits. I am excited to have them home for a while! I even cooked supper! LOL ...

Genna

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

December 14, 2012
8:18 PM

Post #9358608

Elaine I wish I could have been in your pocket going to England . I have always wanted to go.

Boy that has really been tragic about the schoolhouse shootings. We are at the camp so had not heard the news until after hunting this afternoon,

Marilyn y' all really stay on the move.

Charlotte I loved your story

Sandra I forgot to say congrats on the new chair.

I'm going to mass Sunday night with the kids. they are going to have caroling.
Also going to get my new dog Sunday . Should be an exciting week to come.

Well I killed a nice buck this afternoon . John Paul our 4 yr old was on his way to the camp from monroe with Uncle Brandon when his daddy text them a picture of my deer. Brandon nearly drove off the road when John Paul saw the picture and said I didn't know Nona could shoot a gun, she is old !!!

Got a couple good shots of a Pileated woodpecker today and a northern flicker

Thumbnail by Riverland   Thumbnail by Riverland   Thumbnail by Riverland   Thumbnail by Riverland   

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

December 14, 2012
8:30 PM

Post #9358627

Genna you tell Jess you gotta fall down sometimes to remember what it's like to climb back up. Congratulations to all your children on their accomplishments. I' m sure all the new will be off next semester and she will ace it all again. I'm sure all the uncertainty with Leigh's job is weighting on all the kids minds but more hers. Girls worry about their dads.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 15, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9358816

Cindy, that is a beautiful rack on that deer! Worth the wait I'm sure and proud of you! That's funny what John Paul said! And loved the bird photos too.

Charlotte, I loved your story about 'Decembers' and your party. You are right...you can never tell when some small act will make a huge difference in another person's life. And what a wonderful memory.

Genna, I know you're proud of the kids! Jess will be fine; that first semester is always the hardest, IMO, on the kids, especially with the adjustments to be made and Cindy is right.

You all should try to go to London sometime. It really is a wonderful city and easy to get around. It's probably the best place to start for an overseas visit since you don't have to worry about another language.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

December 15, 2012
7:16 AM

Post #9358830

Cindy, looks like you got that new gun under control now--you look really good in the picture, it does my heart good just to know you feel like hunting again ! Terrye called last night and asked me a good place to eat in Ripley ? I told her there wasn't any, she had forgotten the day we looked everywhere for something to eat !!
Charlotte, what a wonderful memory, sometimes that whisper that God puts in our ear turns out to show us marvelous things, other times we never see the benefit of it. Just think of all the things He will show us that came from something we did when we get th Heaven !
I guess I am the odd man out on traveling, I really like the USA and think I will be happy to stay here. I will enjoy looking at others pictures and hearing their stories, Let us know when you get some pictures posted.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

December 15, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9358831

Cindy, Jerry just got up and said the deer you killed looks better than the one you missed !
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 15, 2012
11:18 AM

Post #9359060

I have been watching but not posting lately...I am trying to keep up. I had hoped to be less busy after the first of the year but I am certain that will not happen. Anyway, I had to share my news. As most of you know, I was diagnosed with diabetes in April with an average blood sugar of 340! 3 months later, my blood sugar was an average of 140! I went to the doctor yesterday my average was 105! I started crying, the staff was congratulating me and we all hugged. I am certain that all other patients thought I just found out I was pregnant! LOL The doctor was going to reduce my meds but we decided to stay the course, so I can eat a little while in Hawaii, in February.

I love you all and miss you!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 15, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9359319

Kim that is terrific news!!! All your hard work has paid off! You did it girl!!!

Cindy I agree with Sandra you look really good in the picture! You look happy! Well of course you had just shot a big buck!! But it looks to be more than just that.

Genna, Jessi will be fine. She probably is a little unnerved with her dad's job situation.

Sarah and I went hiking this morning with our hiking group. We did an in town hike at Burns Park. It had rained really hard last night and was still a little damp when we started out so we took a different trail than the one we had planned to hike on. We took one on higher ground. Since they were not as familiar with it we ended up getting lost and taking much longer to get back to where we had parked our cars. But it was good for us!! We needed the exercise! I think all of us were just not paying attention to the markers and I think we'll do a better job next time!
gen2026
Camden, AR

December 15, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9359509

Cindy that is an awesome buck! Kyle was shocked at how large it was!! :) He went duck hunting this morning and this afternoon - got a mallard hen on the fly at 40 yds so he was really happy!

No worries here about Jess ... I had really HOPED she would pull a 4.0 this first semester, but I am not upset that she didn't. I just mainly wanted her to know that she COULD. I think she knows that now, and has her study habits down - I hope... :-) She is taking hard courses and had a full 17 hours, I think she did well considering. I do think she worries more too as you say...

Charlotte, sounds like ya'll had a nice hike! I enjoyed your Christmas story... we did that a few years ago when I was feeling really sorry for myself because Christmas Eve was always a BIG deal when my parents were living... since my brothers don't speak to my sister or I now, it has REALLY changed Christmas and even my sister's family comes on a day before Christmas eve so it just isn't the same... so that year I decided instead of sitting around having a pity party, I would host dinner for some elderly people in our church with little to no family. I ended up having to take dinner to them, but at least there were 3 in one assisted living facility and we had it there. It was so much fun! made the holiday special for all of us! I really need to consider doing that again... one of those ladies is no longer living, and one is no longer in this area, but I am sure there are others who are in need of someone to visit close to Christmas!

I have been awake since 4 - not by choice... about couldn't wake up the past two days when I had to get up to go to work, but since I could sleep in today - I woke up at 4. Was still wide awake when Kyle's alarm went off at 5 to go hunting so I just got up and got busy. Cleaned up the kitchen, cleaned up some Christmas boxes, wrapped a ton of presents, and cooked pancakes for Kyle and his two hunting buddies... Now if I could just get all the wrapping mess cleaned up and put away! maybe tomorrow. I think I am about to head to bed...been a LONG day!

Elaine, I wouldn't mind going to London, but I would really love to go to Ireland and Scotland... plus several other places! :-) but then I love to travel. I want one of those jobs where they pay you to travel around the world and stay in fancy hotels and eat at restaurants and write reviews for the Sunday paper...not sure how you get a job like that! LOL

Sandra, you have that chair broke in yet? I know you are enjoying it!!

Congratulations on those great numbers Kim! Awesome job! So proud for you! I know you are looking forward to your trip too!

Hope everyone has a good night... I think I am calling it a night!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

December 15, 2012
9:18 PM

Post #9359545

Kim, I am so happy for you, I need to work hard on my sugar, but I am allowing myself holiday goodies, I always do better if I do, when I feel deprived I wind up overheating all the leftovers and make even more goodies on New Years. I will get back on track in Jan ! We all have to learn our weaknesses and how to deal with them, and it sounds like you have pretty well come to terms with it !

My sister Pat lived several years in Memphis, lots of her husbands family lived there then and one of them wound up in intensive care, can't really remember why or who, but it was near the holidays. She cooked some goodies and went back to that ICU waiting room on Christmas Eve that year and passed them out to the family members in the waiting room. Her relative was out then and everyone there was a stranger to her, but she said it was a wonderful experience for her.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 16, 2012
7:09 AM

Post #9359712

That's a good example Sandra. I think we have to create our own traditions and those even keep changing. My first really bad Dec was when I was in the 6th grade. My grandfather died of a heart attack at only 59 earlier in the year. My grandmother decided to live for a while with an unmarried aunt. She lived in the country and I think her daughters were concerned about her living there alone. But anyway that Christmas we all went back to my grandparents house like we had always done. I'll never forget that Christmas. The house was cold, everyone was very sad, there was a lot of crying, no real happiness - nothing like the Christmases before. They never went back there for Christmas, although my grandmother moved back into her house and continued to live there until she died.

Christmas eve was also a very special time for my DIL. How she celebrates Christmas eve has changed over the years due to deaths, and living over 2,000 miles from her sister. Her dad was a minister and he always held a midnight candle light service on Christmas eve. Her family would have their main Christmas meal on Christmas eve and then go to church.

So with her own family she created her own family traditions. Christmas eve is still the main Christmas meal. Their church has a candle light service but it is usually about 5 pm. We always go to the candle light service at church. Then we we get home we have hor d vouers (cocktail shrimp, cheese balls, etc) then we have dinner which is always chiopina (a very heavy seafood soup). The kids say prayers at dinner. Then my son builds a fire in the fireplace (the only time they ever use it) and we all sit around together after dinner. We will usually watch a Christmas movie together. When the boys were little she would always read the story of Jesus to them before we had dinner. It's not a night for presents. It's a night to concentrate on the birth of Jesus and to be with family.

All presents are opened on Christmas day and it's just a day to lounge around and let the kids enjoy whatever they got for Christmas. Since I've starting going out there I cook a tradition Christmas meal. That's my contribution to tradition.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

December 16, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9359942

The California Christmas sounds so lovely, life is ever changing, we can make some changer ourself, and fondly remember the good past.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 16, 2012
3:55 PM

Post #9360116

You are so right Sandra. The one thing that is certain in life is change! It's how we deal with it that determines our happiness and well being.
gen2026
Camden, AR

December 17, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #9360823

For sure! Charlotte, it sounds like they have a nice tradition going in California. I know Jessi and Kyle are all wondering how this year will affect all our traditions, etc with Alex and Natalie. I am pretty flexible - to me it doesn't matter which day as long as we are all together. I know next year Alex will have rotations - and no telling what his schedule will be. Then when he gets into residency, I am fairly sure he will not be home for Christmas... I am trying to enjoy it as we go, and we will work out the details as we need to change our routine. When my family comes over, we always start with the youngest and they open their gifts first - then we go one person at a time until we get to the oldest. My Dad was the oldest for years of course after we started this tradition - and it was really hard the first time we had Christmas without him there fussing that he wanted to start with the oldest first! :) Now my sister is the oldest, she is a couple months older than my BIL...so she has to go last... and she is always telling the kids we are going in reverse order too...but of course we never do. I don't remember when we started that tradition, but it was after my siblings married and started having kids and it was difficult to see what everyone got for Christmas with everyone opening at once, so we started doing it like that. We just all wanted to enjoy seeing the little kids opening their gifts! At my SIL's we usually go around the room and open one gift at a time but not in any particular order... we usually do the same thing when it is just Leigh and I and the kids... we go in some type of order - often reverse age, but just open one at a time and then start over down the list again. We always enjoy the time together and eat way too much and to me, just having everyone together, is the best gift ever!!

After we spent 7 weeks in ICU with my Mom, my sister started collecting little bottles of shampoo, soap, conditioner, lotion etc. Anytime she would travel she would pick up the extras in the hotel room, and she purchased a few here and there as she shopped. Then she would make up little baggies and on a trip to LR for the doctor or whatever , she would take by this bundle of baggies of soap, etc for the people who had family in ICU and were basically living there. She would leave them at the desk and the lady would distribute them as needed. I thought that was a neat idea... love the idea of baking Christmas goodies to take up there as well! The hospital is no place to be on the holidays!

There was a woman killed in our small community on Friday. I don't know many details except that she lived in a mobile home and was on the phone with a friend when she asked the friend to call 911 because she thought someone was breaking into her house. By the time police got there, her trailer was on fire and she was dead. They are calling it a murder - but they haven't said yet what was done to her...whether she was shot or stabbed or burned to death. So far, I don't think they have arrested anyone either. Please be in prayer for our community and pray they find whoever did this quickly. I didn't even know about it until this morning! Seems to be so much tragedy filling the news ...

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 17, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9361037

I have really enjoyed reading everyones traditions!!! Our traditions are pretty relaxed here I guess this year, Jim may not even be here. He is running mobile homes from a factory in Indiana to Cumberland, Md. to a staging area for FEMA to pull out to the Hurricane Sandy victims. He is doing that this week and then he is suppose to go to Mn. and load out to go to ND. His boss, Mr. Tom had a stroke yesterday so if Yall would lift him and his family up, I sure would appreciate it. They got him to the hospital immediately but there does appear to be some damage. Of course, with prayers and some physical therapy I know he will be back to his old self soon. The co. is run by his entire family so I know how hard it is on them right now.

Ashley made it to school today!!! Hallelujah!!! She said her stomach hurt all day but she made the day. Mid-term testing starts Wed. with 1/2 days for the rest of the week. We had already printed the study guides and started to work on some of them but there is even still more to do.

So much for catch up here at the house, Cameron(DGS) was in Hammond and called wanting us to have lunch and then bring him back to my house for a few days. I guess there is always tomorrow.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 17, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #9361038

That is so sad, Genna. As you said, there is so much tragedy filling the news. . .:o((

We went to Benton, AR over the week-end to celebrate Christmas with Michelle #2 and Michelle#3 and their families. For the information of anyone who doesn't already know, I say that I have 3 daughters named Michelle. Michelle #1 is my biological daughter. The other two Michelles are special friends who are as close as daughters to me. :o) Michelle#3 had everyone over to her house last night. There were 19 people there so Michelle #3 had everyone's name written on a piece of paper and put all the names in a basket. She drew the first name and that person got to open a gift. The first person drew the next name and so on until everybody had opened at least one gift, then we started over, with the last one who opened a gift being the first one to open a gift during the second round. After the 2nd round, it was a free-for-all with everybody opening the rest of their gifts. LOL It was more organized this way than it has been in years past with everybody opening their gifts all at the same time. We had too much good food as well as lots of good fellowship and a waaaay noisy bunch of fun!! :o))

It's fun hearing about everyone's traditions. This year will be a couple of "firsts" for me--my first Christmas with Al and my first Christmas with his family. We will be traveling to St. Louis on Christmas day, which is a 5 hour drive for us. I have never traveled on Christmas day before except for a short 30 minutes to an hour's drive to a relative's house for Christmas dinner.

Jeri: we crossed--so sorry to hear about Jim's boss. Prayers for him!
So glad that Ashley made it back to school!! Hooray!!
Sure hope Jim will be able to make it home to spend a few days with you during the holidays!

This message was edited Dec 17, 2012 8:44 PM
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2012
5:42 AM

Post #9361262

With a couple of hard-working nurses in our family, we have to be flexible these days depending on their days off. This year they both are off on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, but we try to do something as a big family on a day other than Christmas Day so they can be together with their little ones. I know it's hard since our 2 sons are in Birmingham, so we have tried to be flexible around both Thanksgiving and Christmas and give each one time to spend with the other set of parents too. It's worked out fine every year. This year they are coming to our house on Christmas Eve for a big lunch and opening gifts at our house and then can get home that evening and get the kids to bed. The youngest is now 5 so it's not so awful to get everyone home and to bed anymore as it was when they were babies.

Genna, that is a really sad story and I hope they figure it out soon. I heard from a good friend last week. Her son is finishing her residency in Kansas and will be moving to Enterprise, AL where his wife is from. He is a surgeon and she is a pediatrician (already finished her residency) and now they will be only about 5 hours from my friend, so she is thrilled she will get to see her family, including a grand-daughter, more often. Alex will be there before you know it, but you will be so proud!

Jeri, glad Ashley made it back to school and hope she will feel good soon!

I'm finally catching up...sort of. Wrapped a bunch of gifts last night and have most of that done now. Will finish it tonight and clean it all up I hope! I didn't get Christmas cards out this year and only put out about a third of the decorations I normally do, but I just couldn't get to it. I'm really not worried about it anymore. Only have a couple of gift cards I think I will purchase and will call it done.
gen2026
Camden, AR

December 18, 2012
6:47 AM

Post #9361315

Jeri, that is GREAT that Ashley made a full day of school! Awesome! I sure wish her luck on those tests...I know she has missed so much school. It must be really hard to keep up with everything!

Marilyn, sounds like ya'll had a great time in Benton! I like that idea about drawing names out of a hat for the order too. :) I just love getting together with family and friends and whatever is fine with me! But, I do enjoy getting to see others open their gifts and enjoy it instead of like we used to do when everybody opened at once and no one knew what anyone got and we missed all the wide eyed wonder of the little ones seeing what was inside. But, I will say, it drags it out and by the time we get to the last few adults the little ones are not paying attention at all...but then I don't guess that matters either. When they were really little, they would help most of the adults open too so they had a big time!

I want my kids to happy , but i sure hope they are somewhat close so that at least i can go visit(and hopefully spoil grandkids!)...although I don't really expect them to be! I know that Alex and Kyle would LOVE to live in Colorado - and that is a LONG way away! :) Oh well, never know what is in store, but I am trying to enjoy every minute along the way. No telling where we might end up either with Leigh's job situation - so we just wait and see. One possibility is Batesville - and although we would both love to move up that way, I have NO idea what I would do for a living in that area. Just trying hard to keep the faith and pray that God will show us what He wants us to do.

I finally got the Christmas wrapping mess put away last night... Kyle had two boys come spend the night last night so they could leave at 2:30 this morning going duck hunting, so I had motivation to get up the mess! I haven't gotten cards done either - but I have sure wanted to - not looking good though! :) I put up one less tree and a lot less decorations than usual. It was weird, I got my presents bought early and a bunch wrapped early - then the tree up...and hit a snag. Just couldn't seem to get it decorated in a timely manner or anything else put out! At this point, we are having everyone over on Sunday and what's up is up and I am not taking anything else out.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Genna

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 18, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9361362

Genna: I think the not knowing is the worst part. Once you actually KNOW where you and Leigh will be moving to, if you move at all, then you can make the adjustments necessary for such a move. You are correct in trusting the Lord to lead and guide you, no matter what comes your way.
((((((((((((((((((Genna)))))))))))))))))

Our weather is really nice and unseasonably warm--in the 60's for highs with lots of sunshine. This will change tomorrow and we even have light snow predicted for Thursday morning! I don't mind snow for a day or two but it can go away after that! LOL
gen2026
Camden, AR

December 18, 2012
8:08 AM

Post #9361371

Thanks Marilyn. Most days I do pretty good... then other days not so good. Guess that is normal. I am with you on the snow! It is beautiful, and I don't mind it as long as I don't have to get out in it - as in drive to work, etc. You will have such beautiful scenery at your place if it does snow!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 18, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9361819

Genna when will Leigh know for sure where or if they are going to transfer him somewhere. Like Marilyn said I know that when you find out that will take a lot of the uncertainty away. Batesville is a nice little college town. You know that's where Loretta lives. She was concerned about the company she works for and her job for a while but they were bought out and now she says the new owners are blowing and going and planning a big expansion. I would think there would actually be more opportunity for you there than in Camden. It is important to keep a strong faith!!

As much as we would like to keep our kids close by it is important that they spread their wings and do what they want in life! My son basically left home when he started to college. He was in Fayetteville which was about a 4 1/2 hour drive at that time. Then straight from college he went to work in Fort Worth. He was offered a very good job in Little Rock. It would have made me very happy but it was just not what he wanted to do. Like your sons Genna I think he just wanted to explore somewhere different and do something more exciting than the opportunities in LR. Then from Dallas they decided to move all the way to California. But I think I know my grandkids and am just as close to them as a lot of people that have their kids and grandkids in state. It just takes a little effort on your part and gives you a place to visit!!LOL My oldest grandson (will be 20 in March!!) is coming the 12 of Jan to spend a week with me although I'll be spending Christmas with them. He didn't get to come this summer because of his summer job but he has a really long Christmas break and wants to come. He calls me every other Sun afternoon and talks for almost an hour! Technology today sure makes it easier!!

The twins and I stay in touch a lot also and they keep up with all my activities which I think they sometimes find amusing!

When my parents had to move to Houston my mother was devastated! But she learned to get out of her comfort zone and do things she had never done before and found new things she enjoyed! Not having sisters around to spend her time with she developed a bigger circle of friends than she had ever had. She even ventured out on the interstate (even through it was just a very short distance). She had never driven any where but just around town before but she picked up an elderly lady to take to a ladies bible class every week and the only way she could get to her house was to get out on the interstate. So she did it! I couldn't believe it when I found out.

Just have faith that God knows what he is doing!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 19, 2012
11:30 AM

Post #9362333

I was just outside and discovered my forthysia blooming!!!

Thumbnail by cperdue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 19, 2012
11:39 AM

Post #9362336

Charlotte: good advice and encouragement for Genna!! This crazy weather has the flowers doing all sorts of strange things. I still have petunias in pots on the covered section of the back porch that are still hanging in there! This week will most likely finish them off, though. It is already getting colder here this afternoon and we have a dusting of snow predicted for tomorrow morning. A fire will feel good tonight!
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 19, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9362463

Just wanted to share something cute - I kept my son's girls last night and one of the twins asked for some medicine at bedtime. When I asked her why she said "Well I've been 'blessyouing' all night" We finally figured out that she had been sneezing - apparently that is bless-you-ing to her. How cute!

Hope all you guys have a great Holiday!!!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 19, 2012
2:10 PM

Post #9362464

I shared this poem with some of my email buddys but was so touched by it that I wanted to share with you here. It is titled HOPE but I think it should be called PEACE.

Hope

Twas’ 11 days before Christmas, around 9:38

When 20 beautiful children stormed through heaven’s gate.

Their smiles were contagious, their laughter filled the air.

They could hardly believe all the beauty they saw there.

They were filled with such joy, they didn’t know what to say.

They remembered nothing of what had happened earlier that day.

“where are we?” asked a little girl, as quiet as a mouse.

“this is heaven.” Declared a small boy.

“we’re spending Christmas at God’s house.”

When what to their wondering eyes did appear,

But Jesus, their savior, the children gathered near.

He looked at them and smiled, and they smiled just the same.

Then He opened His arms and He called them by name.

And in that moment was joy, that only heaven can bring

Those children all flew into the arms of their King

And as they lingered in the warmth of His embrace,

One small girl turned and looked at Jesus’ face.

And as if He could read all the questions she had

He gently whispered to her, “I’ll take care of mom and dad.”

Then He looked down on earth, the world far below

He saw all the hurt, the sorrow and woe

Then He closed His eyes and He outstretched His hand,

“Let My power and presence re-enter this land!”

“may this country be delivered from the hand of fools”

“I’m taking back my nation. I’m taking back my schools!”

Then He and the children stood up without a sound

“come now my children, let me show you around.”

Excitement filled the space, some skipped and some ran.

All displaying enthusiasm that only a small child can.

And I heard Him proclaim as He walked out of sight.

“in the midst of this darkness, I AM STILL THE LIGHT.”
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 19, 2012
4:43 PM

Post #9362571

AMEN, Jerri!

Karen: kids say the cutest things, don't they? :)
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 20, 2012
5:38 AM

Post #9362854

Amen, Jeri.

I finally got almost everything wrapped Tuesday night and put away most of the wrapping stuff. I know I will have a few last minute things to wrap so I kept out the box of bows and tags and the rolls of wrap are handy. But a friend is coming Saturday night, so I wanted to get the mess cleaned up. Taking off work after lunch today! Yay!!

Genna, hang in there and try to enjoy the kids and family and not worry. The company is probably not going to do much right at the holidays either.

My DD had iris blooming the other day. I had a re-blooming DL trying to bloom, but one of the earlier frosts killed that back.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 20, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9362882

Genna hope you have a wonderful birthday today!

I'm leaving for California tomorrow morning. So today is going to be busy getting last minute stuff done. I've pulled clothes to take and now to see what will actually fit in my suitcase. I've started taking just a carry on bag and a large tote bag. I usually fly into Oakland and for some reason it takes forever for luggage to reach the baggage area. So it's much easier and I don't have to worry about something getting lost if I have everything with me. Flying is not as easy as it used to be!

If there is something I need I can always go to the store. With 3 teenage boys I always have a chauffeur!LOL

It's really, really windy here this morning! It's supposed to be cold tonight but it's going to start warming back up tomorrow. The weather in CA is actually going to be about what we have been having. In the fifties during the day and in the low forties or high thirties a night. It is actually colder out than normal. Weird - we are having warmer than normal weather and they are having colder than normal.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 20, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9362887

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GENNA!!

Charlotte have a wonderful visit with your son and his family and safe travels!

Here in the Ozark Mountains it is overcast and WINDY--with gusts up to 45 mph. Snow showers expected but none here as of yet. We are in the southern end of the snow storm that has hit the midwest. I can only imagine what the wind is like further north, not to mention the snow!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 20, 2012
9:42 AM

Post #9363035

Happy Birthday, Genna!!! I hope you are granted a reprieve at least from worrying about Leigh's job. Do something nice for yourself today, even if it's to stop and treat yourself to a nice coffee.

Charlotte have a good time with the grands!!! When are you coming back? Enjoy the nice weather out that way!!!

Marilyn stay safe!!! We're under a tornado watch until noon, here.

Elaine we only had our 1st frost last week and I have under neath blooms on my giant turks cap and red firespikes. The leaves of my EE are mush but the stems are still nice and firm. I did hear this morning that we drop to 31 Friday night so that will probably take them to the ground. Of course, we will be back in the 70's.
gen2026
Camden, AR

December 20, 2012
9:43 AM

Post #9363037

Thanks for the birthday wishes! I THOUGHT I posted yesterday but I don't see it. We have reached the point where AT&T is supposed to start matching different ones to different possible jobs (Dec 18 was the first possible day for that on their timeline). I have no idea when or IF an offer of a different job will come. PLEASE pray for us to have clarity and peace about any decisions that are made because IF they make an offer, Leigh only has 24 hrs to accept or decline. For that reason, I assume that if we do not hear anything today it will be at least after Christmas before he hears anything, most likely after the first of the year. Although, technically AT&T only takes Christmas off - there are a lot of supervisors off and a lot of people off in the offices etc. Not even sure if whoever is supposed to be doing the "matching" is working! :( Ugggghhh TRYING hard to be patient and not think about it. The worst part of the not knowing is that they have sent out notice that they will NOT be paid for their Vacation leave and that they will need to use that before they go out. IF we don't know by the first, Leigh will need to start using vacation because he has three weeks plus some personal days... no way he can use it all by the 19th of Jan. Then comes the technical issue of HOW do they make him an offer if he isn't at work?? See why my nerves are thin? We just assumed until Monday that they would be paid for vacation at the end if a new job wasn't offered...

IT was extremely windy at my house last night to say the least. Shortly after one I work up to howling wind that was so loud my first thought that it was a tornado! Then the wind gust caught my gas grill on my back porch, slid it across the porch and down my back steps... it was quite a commotion!! We went out with the wind blowing like crazy to take down the porch swing on the back and front porches... the back one was flailing wildly in the wind and I didn't want it to blow off and fly into something else - like one of the cars parked a few yards away... the one on the front was barely moving but we took it down just in case. we picked up a door off the grill and took it inside so it wouldn't blow off - and left the rest of it to deal with later. Leigh did sit it upright this morning, although we left it down on ground level... it is pretty bent in some spots - and both doors are off so I will have to see if we can piece it back together... Kyle is supposed to be checking for loose or damaged shingles and looking around for any other possible damage. My vehicle looks like someone gave it a mud bath - I had to use my wipers and wash off my windshield to see this morning... Guess the wind had all the dust and dirt stirred up and then when it started raining the dirt came down with the rain? It didn't rain long - didn't really get much water out of it but lots and lots of wind! Still windy here now.

Charlotte, hope you enjoy your trip to California! I know you will!

Marilyn, if it is snowing hard up there with wind like we have here, I am sure they can't see!! Maybe you will get a few flakes just to enjoy the beauty.

If ya'll have a spare moment, please lift up Alex in prayer this afternoon. he has a HUGE test starting at 1 - will probably go until 4 or 5. It is the biggest test (as far as points) that they will have all year and he has been studying for weeks. He has gotten almost no sleep in several days and I know he is exhausted. I am just praying he can remember what he has studied and do well on the test! I can tell he is really nervous about it. I figure a few extra prayers can't hurt! :)

Elaine, I had some narcissus blooming last week - they got a little frozen in those 20's that we had... then it warmed up some and now I have more blooming. crazy weather - it has been so off schedule for so many months that I am not sure the plants know what month it is!

Have a great day everyone!
Genna

gen2026
Camden, AR

December 20, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #9363040

Thanks Jeri - we cross posted. I am trying hard not to worry.

Thought of you this morning because Jessica is sick and has had an upset stomach since Monday. We are going to the dr this afternoon bc they want to check her appendix and her gall bladder. Her back is also hurting. She has had diahrea and has thought she was going to be sick to her stomach - but never has. We originally thought it was the stomach virus that is going around - but since it is staying around and actually worse today, I am not sure. :( I thought how you must be so tired of dealing with that constantly! It has only been 4 days for us and I am ready for it to be gone!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

December 20, 2012
1:19 PM

Post #9363222

Happy birthday Genna, we have the terrible winds here too. We all have colds, looks like it is going through like wildfire, Cayla and Eli both went to the Doc today, Cayla god meds, but told her that Eli could only have Benedryl, now that he is 6 months old, poor baby is so stuffy he can barely drink his bottle. They told her to give him pedialyte, I was in the middle of sausage balls, so Faith went with her. I still have to make the sugar cookie dough today and let it chill overnight. Sat is our party here at the house and Charity's 13th birthday !

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 20, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #9363259

I know it's tedious waiting Genna. They may be seeing if some will just go ahead and quit. If so it might be easier to match the remaining folks to jobs.

It's still really windy here. My car was covered in mud and dirt this morning too. It was very clean before and it took me a while to figure out what in the world had happened.

Sandra I hope Cayla and Eli get rid of their colds soon!! Seems like lots of people have colds!

I've gotten my errands run and food stocked up for Richard but still lots of things to do before I go to bed tonight!

Where oh where did the year go!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

December 20, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9363411

Good question, Charlotte, I wonder too, have a safe trip and love on those dear ones ! You are probably right about AT&T trying to make people quit most big companies do people that way.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 20, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9363435

Are you sick too, Sandra? I pray that Cayla & Eli get better soon, Christmas is Tue and it's Eli's 1st. It is so hard with a little one getting sick. They don't understand what is happening to them. Poor little darling!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #9363864

I'm in the Phoenix airport waiting for my flight Oakland but I would like to ask that you remember some one in prayer. My first cousins daughter (Leigh - late forties) has a extremely serious lung diesese and was approved for the transplant list at osner's on Nov 26th. She received word this morning they are ready for her transplant . She is being flown to NO this morning.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

December 21, 2012
2:00 PM

Post #9363997

I have a sligHt cold, nothing to worry about, just a little sore throat. I have been going strong all day today.

Charlotte, I hope you are safely wherever you are, maybe with the family by now, have you heard anything from Leigh yet ? What a wonderful gift she is getting, I pray all goes well and she doesn't have any rejection issues.

I hope Ashley feels good now too
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2012
2:42 PM

Post #9364042

Charlotte, prayers for Leigh that her transplant goes well. I remember our daughter-in-law, Heather's, first year in our family, she was on call. She is on a transplant team at UAB. That day they did a double lung transplant on a 19-year-old young man who had suffered from cystic fibrosis his entire life. What a Christmas blessing to bring hope and life to that family! She said she waited to come home to our Christmas dinner until she could go in and see him 'pink' and talk with his parents. I'm sure Leigh will be fine! BTW our Heather is still working thoracic transplants, only now has moved to Children's at UAB and is doing babies and young children. Safe travels, Charlotte!

I think my life finally caught up with me. I went to sleep on the couch last night a little after 7 pm. Slept until 10, got up, washed my face, brushed my teeth and got ready for bed and went right to sleep apparently. Slept until almost 7 this morning. I think I needed that. Today felt like it was mostly spent at the grocery store (between Publix, Costco, and another place I go to for meat). I did go to lunch with my group from lunch but that's about all I've accomplished today and I feel like I've been beat with a stick already. Glad I didn't go to work!! Most of us were off or took the afternoon off and will be off the rest of the year. Yay! I finally can declare all the gift-buying done, and only have 1 more to wrap and 2 gift cards to put in a bag or envelope and I'm D-O-N-E, done!

Sandra, hope your cold doesn't get any worse. Hope Eli and Cayla are better by now.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 21, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9364230

Charlotte, I hope you have made it to Ca. and the family is all doing well!!! What a miracle for Christmas this would be for your cousin!!! They have meds that are very expensive called anti-rejection drugs. My sister still takes them after her eye transplant. But this has been the longest she has been able to not have her body reject the transplant. TG!!!!

I'm glad that you aren't more sicker than that, Sandra!!! Too much to do!!! How is Eli enjoying his 1st Christmas!!! Is he totally fascinated with it all? Please give him a big kiss for Auntie Jeri!!! I hope to get to see him in person before he is the age of my DGSs!!!

Elaine one of my closest friends growing up lives in Birmingham and her husband Danny is the pastor at UAB Hospital. She has worked around campus I believe but I don't know where. She was so impressed that I garden. Not something even I ever really thought about back then!!! LOL!!!

I would guess that jet lag is catching up with you finally. Remember you came home to the Living Christmas Tree. It's good you got some rest so now you can take off and finish up with all your activities!!!

Jim delivered to the Six Flags in New Jersey. They use the parking lot as a staging area for Fema. He's headed to Michigan to pick up Wed. and deliver to ND. His boss, Mr. Tom is out of the hospital and back to work. Thanks for all the prayers. They definitely have helped!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #9364724

We're getting ready to head into the city for the day, it's raining off and on and looks like it's going to rain most of the time I'm here. This is their rainy season, it only rains about 3 months out of the year,

My cousin has not had her transplant surgery yet. She had been in ICU in Monrore since Sun. They airlifted her by air ambulance yesterday to NO. It was a hard trip for her and she had a rough time with oxygen levels last night. She is more stable today. They have to get her stable before they do the transplnt. Not sure when that's going to be.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

December 22, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9365090

Hope they can hold the organ until she is able to go, I thought they only had hours for a window to get the new organ in?? Things change fast in medicine.

Been going all day, just sat down, got one picture for you, Charity and Faith left before this was made, but Eli was not happy that PapPaw had another baby in his lap--lol

Thumbnail by slcdms

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 23, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9365285

Too cute!! Pappaw looks exhausted too!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 23, 2012
9:23 AM

Post #9365381

That is too cute! They are going to be fast friends being so close in age! But I know they wear you all out now as much as you enjoy them .
I don't understand all the procedures of transplant surgery. I don't know if they already the lung or not. Yesterday the doctors thought they may have to vent her which they did not end up doing, instead they are using bpap. My cousin posted a few minutes ago that she had an ok night and that her saturation levels are holding with the bpap. She said the doctors will determine a plan of action tomorrow am. Please continue to pray!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 23, 2012
10:21 AM

Post #9365417

Cute picture, Sandra. The kids are all adorable and I know PapPaw adores having them crawl all over him!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 24, 2012
2:28 AM

Post #9365815

I've been awol for a few days--busy with relatives coming here and we are going to my daughter's this morning, then on to St. Louis on Christmas day IF the weather cooperates. Anywhere from 3--6 inches of snow forecast for here and all the way up to St. Louis, too.

Anyway, I hope all of you and your loved ones who are or have been sick are feeling better by now. Have a BLESSED CHRISTMAS everyone!!
I will most likely be offline for a day or two unless we get snowed in and don't go to St. Louis. ;o)

Thumbnail by marsue

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

December 24, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9365955

Winter storm warning for AK--all of you there please be careful !

Peace in your hearts is my wish for you all this Christmas, may Gods love reach into every corner of your hearts and minds and give you peace and joy each and every day.
Merry Christmas

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 24, 2012
9:06 PM

Post #9366456

Merry Christmas to all!!!! One of the Christmas trees we saw Sat.

Thumbnail by cperdue

gen2026
Camden, AR

December 24, 2012
9:55 PM

Post #9366483

Merry Christmas everyone! Wishing you joy and peace!

Charlotte, praying for Leigh - hope they r able to do that transplant soon...what a wonderful Christmas gift! Maybe the donor is on life support until they get her stable ...

We have already had most of our Christmas ...Natalie and Alex went back to LR tonight , so we rearranged most our gift opening for them! Leigh had to work today and so did Jessica. Currently Kyle and I are a k at the ER bc one of our little dogs snapped at Kyle and bit his face...and cut into his lip! If I had some small butterflies I would b ok but of course nothing is open!! The ER is totally packed !!! Guess Santa is you g to have to stop there ... ;)

Merry Christmas everyone! Have a blessed day !

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 24, 2012
10:57 PM

Post #9366495

Thanks Genna! I think the problem now is Leigh's health! They are trying to get her stabilized enough that she can remain on the transplant list. So lots of prayers are needed.

We went to church at 5pm then had our seafood dinner. Tomorrow is gifts and my Christmas lunch/dinner. Kristi made some kind of breakfast casserole this afternoon she plans to cook tomorrow morning. So we want eat until over in the middle of the afternoon.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 26, 2012
12:50 PM

Post #9367665

Hope everyone had a great Christmas!!!

I'm in Albuquerque on my way home. Going home to quite a mess!!! A foot of s ow and power is out in 70% of LR. They are bringing in crews and are assessing what needs to be done today, could be out 3 to 5 days! Sounds like my tropical plant collection is going to be reduced!!!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

December 26, 2012
2:47 PM

Post #9367778

Charlotte sorry to hear you are coming home to such a disaster. We have only gotten cold and really wet. I haven't heard from Sandra did they get all that bad weather too? Keep us posted.
Charlotte hope Leigh gets stable enough for the transplant.

I hope all had a wonderful Christmas. We did with lots of family and food.

Anyone ever seen a doe with horns. This doe we call cactus head . She has been around several years now. We have never seen her with a fawn though.

Thumbnail by Riverland   Thumbnail by Riverland         

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 26, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9367849

In Albuquerque I noticed an earlier flight to LR that would get me into LR at 5:30 rather than 8:00 pm. So I asked he they could get me on that flight. She did but what she didn't know was the flight had been cancelled out of Houston. So now I'm in Houston waiting for a flight to Dallas. Then in Dallas I skeptics another flight to LR and it's going to be about 11 before I get in! My neighbor just called me and one of our neighbors has a big fire going and several families are gathering there. So he's taking Richard down there. So he will be able to get warm and hopefully they have some food also!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

December 26, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9367912

Charlotte that is terrible maybe a blessing since you will be warm instead of freezing around a fire. I know you are worried about Richard. You do have good neighbors. We are supposed to get to 23 tonight so I don't think I will be doing any hunting until it warms a bit. Josh and Jimbo went out this afternoon but didn't see any shooters. Brandon is shot out. He kiLled another big buck last Sat. No bucks left for him. I think he is going to try duck hunting a little. Our water is low.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 26, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9367962

I've made it to Dallas! Supposed to get to LR about 10:15. We are so blessed to have good neighbors. Richard got something to eat and warmed a little then he was ready to go back home. So Todd walked him back and made sur he was in ok. He's now checking on me to make sure I get from the airport home. What a day!!
I can only imagine what I'm going to find at home. Richard has warned me that there are lots of limbs down in back. Beginning to sound like the ice storm of 2000. We were without power 5 days that time.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

December 26, 2012
8:26 PM

Post #9368034

Charlotte, safe travels when you hit the ground !

Cindy, we are ok here, just so busy. I am on cooking strike ! I am tired of cooking, still worked all day catching up on laundry, floors and taking care of Eli. Cayla only had Christmas Day off. Tomorrow Jerry is going to go get Ashe and Molly to stay until Sat. Ashe left last night crying because he wanted to go home with us. I had told them Sat when they were here for the party, that they could come, but I needed a day to recover. I went to the church to cook the ham and turkey and the dressing there, I got there around 2pm and didn't get home until 10 last night. This is Bens week-end to work and Amanda is wanting to go out with him, so if she does she will bring Charity and Faith back Fri to stay until Monday.
gen2026
Camden, AR

December 27, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #9368293

Charlotte, hope you made it home safe and sound... I haven't heard how the roads are in LR after yesterday. Alex and Natalie were rescued by some friends last night and will be staying there for a couple of days. But they were going to have to try to figure out a way to get natalie to work today.

Sandra, sounds like you have been busy! I know I had to come back to work to sit down some!! been up going non stop for days it seems like...

Cindy, I was in W Monroe yesterday and had given you a call to try to verify directions on the short cut out to the crossroads, so if you have a missed call from an 870 number - it was me. Figured you were at the camp when I didn't get you, but we asked for some directions and got some great ones and found our way with no problem. I kept trying to pull it up on my phone but it kept routing me thru a hwy where I would come in south of Farmerville...couldn't get it to pull up the way to the crossroads.

We only got about 3 " of snow, but our roads stayed mainly clear except for the bridges of course, so we had it much better than those around LR. It was nice to have a WHite Christmas...but we were in ARkadelphia when it started snowing - and it was snowing much heavier there with much larger flakes - and it took us 2.5 hrs to make what is normally a 1 hr or less drive home. We were in the suburban with no weight in the back - so we had a few slips and slides but we made it home safely. Thankfully the last 20 miles or so were very light or it would have taken even longer... by the time we got a few miles from the house the roads were completely clear.

Hope everyone has a happy new year!

Genna
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 27, 2012
8:28 AM

Post #9368334

Charlotte, hope you made it home safely, too! and also that your cousin will be able to have the transplant she needs. I hope Richard managed to stay warm!! Are you still without power?

We went to St. Louis for a couple of days and had a lovely visit with Al's son, granddaughters and their families, including the 2 great-granddaughters, ages 2 1/2 and 1 1/2. We also had a good visit as well with Al's sister and her family. Christmas night we played "Mexican train" for 4 hours and didn't get in bed until after midnight. It was great fun and I was able to get better acquainted with some of the members of Al's family. :)

We had NO snow at all in either St. Louis or down here in southern MO where we live. It made for easy travels, thank goodness. However, my son lives in central AR where they received 12 inches of snow and a LOT of people are without power as Genna and Charlotte have said. My son had electricity, fortunately. His girlfriend went to OK to visit relatives for Christmas and she had a wreck on the way back to AR--hit an icy spot and lost control of her vehicle (an Escalade pick-up) and hit two trees. :( It totaled her vehicle but she and her little girl were unhurt although Tory (his girlfriend) was sore from the air bag inflating. Her little girl, age 6, was in the back seat in her car seat so she was unhurt, fortunately.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 27, 2012
11:01 AM

Post #9368440

My cousin Leigh needs lots of prayer. She is losing heart function and they think she may have had a heart attack.

Glad your son's girlfriend was not seriously hurt. Is this a new girl friend? That's why I decided to stay at the airport last night. I sure didn't need to end up stranded or in an accident with Richsrd and the dogs here by themsves, I have them under a blanket with me on the recli er trying to get them warmed up good

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 27, 2012
2:30 PM

Post #9368572

Marilyn I'm glad that Yall a good time in St.Louis and made it home safe and sound. I'm sorry to hear about your son's GF's wreck but I'm glad that she and her daughter are OK other than being sore!!!

Charlotte I am sorry about Leigh's health issues. I will certainly continue to remember her in my prayers!!! Do you know if they have been able to keep the organs for her or does she have to go back on the list? (((HUGS)))

Wow Yall have been without utilities for a while. Have you heard anything about when you can expect service? I sure hope it's soon!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 27, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #9368599

Leigh had still been on he list. Not sure what this set back is going to do.
They are saying it could take 7 days to get the power back on. Not many places open to get food. Lots of grocery stores are without power. I found a Burger King open for lunch. We're snacking on summer sausage and cheese tonight.
I have all of us including the dogs dressed in 3 layers of fleece. I'm very warm. Feet just feel a little chilled.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 27, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9368666

Marilyn, glad you and Al had a great trip to Missouri and that you had a chance to spend some good times with his family. Sorry about the accident too but glad no one was seriously hurt.

Charlotte, glad you are home safe and sound. I saw your photos on FB. Good move staying at the airport with all that mess in between the airport and home. You will have your work cut out for you when the weather clears and you have power again. Stay warm and dry for now! Sorry you had the damage in the yard. We sure did have some high winds here but only flurries by the time it blew thru here on Christmas day and the day after. Winds and rain were awful though and there were tornados all over the state but thankfully none here.

We had our big family get-together yesterday. I was so tired at 10 last night after everyone left I told Earl I didn't even feel like I had the energy to take off my socks. I'm like Sandra in that I don't want to cook anything or clean anything for a while. I had to get up this morning and tackle the floors and wash the tablecloths and such but that's it for today. I'll wait till the weekend and start taking what little decorations I put out away and take down the tree.

Hope everyone gets their power back on real soon.
gen2026
Camden, AR

December 28, 2012
12:20 PM

Post #9369160

:( So sorry to hear that Leigh has had another set back! I hope they are able to get this issue resolved so that she is stable and proceed with the transplant. Must be scary waiting and waiting for a suitable donor and then have all this happen. Prayers going up for her. please keep us posted.

Elaine, I know exactly what you mean... I am still tired! I wanted to sleep in SO badly this morning... was finally sleeping good for once and it was raining outside, but I had to come to work! :( Was laying in bed thinking seriously about taking the day off when Leigh hollered at me because I had failed to put the coffee pot back under the filter last night so I had coffee ALL OVER the kitchen counter and floor! By the time I got that mess cleaned up I was wide awake so no point staying home then! LOL We have had a lot of heavy rain today but now the temps are dropping again. It was 48 earlier today but the last time I checked it was down to 40.

How are the roads in LR Charlotte? ARe they improving any? I know they said it stayed below freezing all day yesterday which sure doesn't help the situation!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 28, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9369357

The roads are drivable. You just have to watch for slick spots. They finally got power on to the busineses on Rodney parham this morning. My grocery store only has none persible items for sale. They are going to have to start all over Gain with every thing else. We ate at shorty smalls for lunch. So we had a good hot meal. Then I went home and got the dogs and we rode around in a nice warm car for about an hour and picked up a few things we needed. Poor dogs can't figure out what's going on. But they must have figured they need to stay under blankets to stay warm. I've been covering them up with a blanket and they don't move!!

I went out and looked around the yard more this afternoon. It is going to take a long time to get the mess cleaned up. Most of a neighbors pine tree fell into my yard at the end of the workshop. Part of it is on the deck to the workshop. Could barely squeeze past it. But all the plant in there look ok. Still haven't opened the greenhouse.

I have lost a out half the limbs on my huge tulip magnolia, I lost part of blood good Japanese maple, the top of a pine tree landed on my new variegated dogwood and broke the top off it. The pine limbs are on top of a big a azaleas bush right now. Too big for me to lift. It's going to have to be cut up with a chain saw. The arbor with Carolina jasmine is demolished. It's going to have to come down! A third of the privacy fence is laying on the ground! The rest would be if a tree had not caught it. The phone line and dish line was knocked down and is pulled away from the house. A limb fell on my neighbors power supply line and piled it away from there house. At least ours is just the phone.

I think I'm going to be doing air if landscaping come spring!! And I'm going to have a lot more sun!

It's raining now. We has some sleet this afternoon. Just hope the trees don't get freezing rain in them.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9369483

So sorry about the latest setback with your cousin, Charlotte. Things are certainly a mess down in central Arkansas, with all the snow and the power outages. You will definitely have your work cut out for you come spring. I have seen the photos you have posted on FB of the damage in your yard.

We have had NO snow here, although we were in Mt. Home this afternoon to the grocery store and it started snowing and freezing rain while we were there. It stopped before we got home, though.

Elaine and Genna, I can also relate to being tired. Yesterday, I stayed in my pj's till noon and just took it easy in my recliner and caught up on my internet forums. It seems that whenever Al and I go anywhere in the car this week, that I find myself drifting off and catching a few zzzzz's until we get to our destination. That is not something I usually do.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

December 28, 2012
8:07 PM

Post #9369516

Charlotte so sorry Leigh is not doing well. Keeping her in prayers.

I am really counting my blessings this year. We have had so much sadness close to us lately. A really close friend lost her husband last week in a pipeline accident.

My sister is raising her great grandchildren. Their father committed suicide Christmas night. These children have had a really tough life. The dad wasn't much as a father but he was still their dad. I think they are 13 and 11. Please lift them and my sister in prayer. She is 69 and has it tough financially and is in poor health. They just can't seem to get a break.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 28, 2012
8:28 PM

Post #9369526

Cindy that is awful. You must be so upset!!! I am so sorry for those children. Being 13 has so many insecurities beside losing a parent this way. Please tell her to go to the Social Security office and the children should get a monthly check until they turn 18 or graduate from college. That by no means replaces her son but it should help her some to raise the grands!!! ((HUGS))

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #9369698

Oh Cindy I am so saddened to hear about your sister's grandchilden's dad!!! Regardless of the type dad like you say he was still their dad! And what a day he chose! I have a friend just about your sisters age raising her grandson who is about 13. I know how demanding it is for her and as we'll for your sister! I really admire your sister for taking them in and caring for them! Praying for comfort for she and the children.

We're still without power. However the street behind us and some other streets in our neighborhood got power last night. So maybe it want be much longer.

Genna I forgot to say earlier that I mentioned Leigh's situation to my son. While he is no longer on the AAT payroll all the work he does is for AT&T. He was aware of the CO changes. He said their equipment is antiquated and being replaced by new Uverse technology.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #9369712

Cindy, so sorry to hear this latest news regarding your sister and the great-grandkids. Prayer for comfort, encouragement and financial help for them!!

Charlotte, sure hope your power is restored today. Buddy and I were without power for 3 full days back when practically all of Arkansas had that terrible ice storm several years ago (not the one in 2009 but the one a few years before that). It got down to 48F in our house. We slept in the den in front of the fireplace. I heated up soup, etc. over the fire. It was NO fun but we survived. Sure makes one appreciate the modern conveniences!!!

It was in the mid-20's this morning on our front porch--heading for a high of 32F. Supposed to be a bit warmer tomorrow but there is a chance that we will have a white New Year beginning New Year's Eve day. I don't mind 2 or 3 inches of snow for a few days but it can go away after that. 12 inches of snow is something altogether different. We aren't supposed to get that much snow, though.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

December 29, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #9369725

Oh goodness, poor Shirley. Cindy will correct me if I am wrong, but I think it is her granddaughters children, making their Dad an in-law. It is still horrible that he committed suicide. Caylas friend Lindsey's dad killed himself a week before Christmas and it has been a really hard time for that family.
Cindy will not tell you herself, but she has helped Shirley a lot financially raise those children. It is a sad situation all the way around.

I have surely been counting my blessings too! God has blessed us beyond measure this year. Just getting the treatment that cleared the hep c from Jerry was a miracle in itself, no way we could have paid for that and then it worked! Praise God! We got two healthy new Grandsons, I am able to use my arm again, which at this time last year was questionable, not to mention very, very painful! I could go on and on when thinking about this year. I will end with this last Blessing---all of you, I love you all dearly and cherish your friendship and wish you God's love and peace and joy for the coming year !

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9369728

Marilyn it was 2000 that we had the big ice storm! I'll never forget that! First of all it. Took me 2 hours to make what should have been a 15 minute trip home. Our power was out 5 full days. After a couple of days the roads got good enough that we could go down to my store We camped out there. Then we we got home and the house heated water started pouring from the attic all the way down to the den on the first floor. Finally realized we had forgotten about a humidifier hooked to the upstairs heating unit. So we had water all over every where then this really loud noise started going off. Finally figured out it was a detector we had hooked up for gas fumes! Turned out we had a crack in the upstairs furnace. So we had 2 new heating units put in. Then we had to have a big part of the ceiling in the den and kitchen replaced! Plus we had huge limbs down all over the back yard! a falling limb spit my huge pink dogwood in half. it finally died fotally. Limbs also broke some really large containers on the deck and smashed some of my metal lawn furniture flat! So I'll never forget that year. This has just been a little inconvience compared to 2000! It is going to take some major work to get my backyard cleaned up. I have huge limbs down. Too big too move without being cut up with a chain saw.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9369734

Sandra we did a cross post. Certainly counting my blessings as well!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

December 29, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #9369802

Jeri she has legal custody but not legal adoption. Anything the kids get coming to them the druggy mother manages to get and spend. She gets a small amount of SS for them from her late husband. Every time she gets 10 dollars of help from one source another source docks her 20. The boy was a crack head baby so has learning disabilities. It's a 24 hr job just dealing with him , school, and drs. The 13 yr old is an overachiever, artist, cheerleader . Keeping up with her schedule and needs is a lot but she will do everything she can to compensate for all the other areas in their lives that are lousy. Thank you Sandra but my help is very minimal. My Older brother is the one who keeps them afloat. There are not many outlets or provisions for great grandparents raising grandchildren as there are for grandparents raising grandchildren. Different qualifications. I really feel for these kids they have been dealt a rough life so far and don't deserve to keep getting slapped down.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #9369810

My friends situation is very similar. Drug problems with parents. The grandson was having lots of behavariol and other problems before she took him in. She was a social worker by profession so that has helped her know how to deal with him but still a big challenge.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 29, 2012
9:44 AM

Post #9369829

We get no help at all!!! Billy(Ashley's dad) gets it. He does provide medical and lunch money for school. That is pretty much it. I didn't realize it was her great grandchildren, Cindy!!! There must be a star in heaven with her name on it!!! We just think we have it bad and then you look around and realize how blessed WE are!!

Charlotte we were just talking about how different times were then when I grew up. I'm so grateful that we had the teachers that cared about us and the other students were our friends. TG!! Makes a big difference today where it's all about clothes, money and what they have.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2012
10:05 AM

Post #9369846

Yes times were so, so,so different when I was growing up and even when my son was growing up!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #9370116

Yeah we finally have power back on!!!!! I went out and checked the greenhouse and I couldn't believe it but stuff is still alive in there!!! A guy in my neighborhood is volunteering to help anyone that needs help with limbs. He is going to help me some tomorrow. I sure don't expect him to clean it all up but it will really help to have someone help me cut up some of the really big limbs. The entire tops of 2 pine trees came down plus lots of limbs from other pine trees and then then tulip magnolia limbs. It is a huge, huge mess!!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

December 29, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9370126

Yeah for power !!! Double yeah for help !!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #9370714

Taking a break from yard clean up!! Know what I'll be doing for some time now!

My cousin could not use her legs yesterday so docs took her off transplant list until they could do an MRI. They did not have an organ for her when they took her to Oschners. They wanted her there so they could treat her and get her ready for the transplant. The following is what her aunt (her mother's sister) just posted.

Leigh update- MRI showed no spine damage, just extremely weak-so back on transplant list. Now Drs are considering a heart/ lung transplant. Keep prayers coming. Thanx!!!

Lisa my first cousin and aunt to Leigh is the youngest of us cousins but she has always been the one to keep us all notified of important things - illnesses, deaths, etc. She lives in the same town as Leigh and Leigh's mother.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #9370718

Leigh is weighting heavy on my mind! Just so you know who you are praying for.

Thumbnail by cperdue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 30, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9370729

Thank you for that photo, Charlotte! It always helps to be able to put a name with a face--especially when praying for someone.

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

December 30, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9370887

Thanks for the photo Charlotte continuing prayers. Anything can happen. Is she from around here or Ark?
Sorry you have so much to clean up good news is you will have a little more sun come spring.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 30, 2012
6:15 PM

Post #9370896

Charlotte she has such a sweet smile!!! I pray that they can stabilize her soon so she can proceed with the organ transplant.

Don't overdo the clean up. Now that you have gotten the bigger limbs cut and out of your way, just relax and do a little as you go each day.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9370899

She lives in Farmerville. Her last name is Chandler. Her husband is Mike. She has two grown sons Clint and Clay. She also has two small grandsons. Her son set up a FB page for her. They have been raising money for her in Farmerville for several months now.
Her mother is Linda Black (she divorced years ago and took back her maiden name). Jan Nolan (Tex) who lives in W. Monroe is her aunt - Linda's sister. Cindy your friend that goes to the Church of Christ is a friend of Jan's. Mike Black who also lives in Farmerville is Leigh's uncle. Linda's brother. Lisa Preaus (Mark) the youngest sister to Linda and aunt to Leigh also lives in Farmerville.
Here is the FB link. They have not posted a lot on it.

[HYPERLINK@www.facebook.com]

This message was edited Dec 30, 2012 8:59 PM

This message was edited Dec 30, 2012 9:09 PM
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9371192

Charlotte, I'm also glad to see a photo of Leigh and pray for her to improve. You are lucky to have such great and helpful neighbors! I hope you get your yard back into shape but I know it's cold and damp outsisde. Glad you didn't lose anything in your GH!

I've been off for over a week and it hasn't been warm or dry enough at all to do anything in the yard except for a little bit here and there. There really isn't much I really have to do but I always like to tidy up a bit. We did get some pine straw spread in a few beds, thanks to our good neighbor who rakes it up for us. He borrows our straw rake for his tractor and Earl goes to get it. Works for both of us. I don't have to go back to work until Thursday...Yay! Don't have many plans except I need to get a new battery for my car. I also use this time to go thru our files and throw a bunch of stuff away, get organized for the new year and get a few things ready for tax season coming up. I've also tried to clear out some things from our closets and we made a big haul to Goodwill before Christmas.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2012
7:20 AM

Post #9371221

I got some of the branches hauled around front yesterday! I worked all afternoon and have a huge pile out front but it barely made a dent in the mess out back. It's going to take a long time to get it all but I understand it's going to be 2 weeks before the city starts picking any of it up. I decided to get limbs off azaleas first and then get my walk way cleared so I can use a wheel barrow to haul some of it around front. I didn't get too much damage to the azaleas amazingly! Some of them were bent all the way to the ground but not too many branches were broken off. We still have snow on the ground. A lot of my back yard is now just packed ice with me walking on it.

My next door neighbor that looked after Richard on Wed still doesn't have electricity. He did go buy a generator to keep from losing all the food in his freezer and refrigerator. The power line going to his house snapped into. Entergy has to fix it and for some reason haven't gotten around to it yet. The neighbor on my other side also had his power supply line pulled away from his house. But sense it pulled away from the house an electrician was able to get it reattached. But Todd has a broken line and only Entergy can fix that. He said when it broke they had smoke in the house and surges went through the house.

The neighbor that fed Richard Wed night also had some excitement last night. They have been burning their fireplace constantly since the power went out and they ended up having a chimney fire. The fire department came out and finished getting the fire out. The husband somehow got up on the roof real fast. It's a two story house and snow was all over the roof. He scooped up snow and dropped it down the chimney and a neighbor that was over put water on the fire in the fireplace! His wife then got concerned because he wouldn't come off the roof! Probably adrenalin got him up there and then he realized it was pretty scary!! They were lucky that the only damage was to the fireplace.
gen2026
Camden, AR

December 31, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9371602

Oh my, Charlotte, sounds like your neighborhood has had its share of adventures for sure. Glad everyone is safe at least! Sorry to hear about Leigh's setbacks but hopefully they will get her ready for a transplant soon!

Cindy, so sorry to hear about those kids Daddy... how pitiful that they had to experience that on top of everything else!

Jeri...any more word from Ashley's doctors????

We made a quick run to LR yesterday after church to return some items and try to get some issues resolved with Kyle's laptop at apple...but just as we got to the promenade they lost power so apple wasn't able to help him because they couldn't test his charger. :( We took a little firewood to Alex, but he still isn't at home because he is still without power. He also had a stomach virus so he wasn't able to meet us - which was fine with us - we just checked the house and unloaded the wood.

Even being uncertain what the year will bring we have so much to be thankful for...seems like there has been so much death and illness all around this year, especially in December!

Hope everyone has a happy and safe new year! Your friendship means the world to me!

Blessings to you all!
Genna

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

December 31, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9371824

Genna, life is always uncertain, I know you really feel under pressure about the job, but nothing is promised for tomorrow. I pray that whatever happens it will have many silver linings in it for you and your family !

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2013
7:38 AM

Post #9372179

Sandra I have re-read what you just wrote in the post above several times. Very well said and so very true! The older you get the more so you realize the truth in what Sandra said! Enjoy each day for what it brings!

Happy New Year to all of you!!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

January 1, 2013
8:24 AM

Post #9372219

Happy New Years to all, I wish you all sunshine and silver linings, and most do all God's Favor !
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2013
2:19 PM

Post #9372564

Happy New Year to all my dear friends here! I love you all and wish God's blessings to all of you for a wonderful new year! Wishing you all smiles and happy days ahead.

Sandra, you did say it very well. One of my friends had a very good quote, and I can't remember who said it originally, but it is: "Today is the first blank page of a 365 page book. Write a good one."

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

January 1, 2013
2:45 PM

Post #9372582

That is neat saying, this is the way the Bible says it

Psalm 90:9
King James Version (KJV)
9 For all our days are passed away in thy wrath: we spend our years as a tale that is told.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2013
3:40 PM

Post #9372606

The snow has melted and I can finally see just what I've going to have to deal with. I'm really not upset. Very thankful that our house was not damaged and that we were able to get power back on Sat night. Trucks are all over my neighborhood still working. The house behind me is still without power. A big bucket truck was out just before it got dark cutting off a bunch of big limbs that had broken but not fallen all the way down. They were hanging over the power line into the house. It's also amazing that with all the breakable things I have in my back yard only one gazing ball was broken! The big pile in the front yard is what I picked up Sun afternoon. I forgot to take a picture of the area where that came from but I still have a lot more to go where it came from.

Thumbnail by cperdue   Thumbnail by cperdue   Thumbnail by cperdue   Thumbnail by cperdue   Thumbnail by cperdue

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2013
3:50 PM

Post #9372610

Happy New Year! I hope everyone has had a nice day with family and friends. We had our cabbage and black eye peas along with a lot of good food. You can't have enough money or health!!! Jimmy's MIL brought raw cabbage leaves to put in our wallets. She said they have done this for years. I have never heard of this. She said with the cabbage your wallet is never without green. What are Yall's family traditions for New Year?

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

January 1, 2013
7:07 PM

Post #9372757

I cooked some peas and cabbage too, black eye peas. I also made a new chicken recipe I found on Pinterest. We have eaten it several times and Jerrytold me today it was better than fried ! Made a sausage crescent dish too.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2013
8:24 PM

Post #9372818

I did cook tonight but just some pork tenderloin and rice. Didn't even do black eyed peas! I had my black eyed peas a few nights ago! One of the places we eat regularly has a black eyed pea salad I eat a lot. It's just marinated black eyed peas served over lettuce. They have really good jalapeno corn bread also.
What is the chicken dish you are making Sandra?
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2013
8:49 PM

Post #9372834

Happy New Year!!!

Thinking about and praying for all those you guys mentioned above.

Charlotte what a mess! It seems that the pine trees took an awful hit last week. Our place doesn't have many pine trees but there are tops out of several trees. Limbs are everywhere and cleanup will take a while. Just driving those first days was crazy as there were trees everywhere on the roads and power lines zig zagging all over. One place had the whole top of an electric pole on the road with lines all over the place. It was crazy. We did get out on Friday and go to my son's house in Bryant and take showers and wash clothes then slid around all the way home. CRAZY!! My poor daughter-in-laws birthday was Sunday - what a birthday!!

We were without power for 5 full days and I can say that I think 5 days of crazy life is my limit. On Christmas when the power went off my youngest daughter was here with her dog, my oldest daughter, her husband and little boy (5) were here from NWA, then my youngest son and his wife and two kids (7 & 4) had to slide over because they don't have a generator or a fireplace and they only live 3 miles or so from us. We had both which made life easier but having 10 people in the house was it's own kind of hell. In some ways we had a LOT of fun b/c we played games and told stories and enjoyed each other's company but the cooking and constant fire building and cleaning up around all the cords and junk was crazy. On Saturday the youngest daughter went home b/c she got power but the youngest son brought over his great Dane and his lizard type pet to keep them warm so the house seemed just as busy as before.

Of course when the power finally came on my two grandkids did NOT want to go home they fussed and whined like they were never going to see me again. One of them even said "I NEVER get to come to Gran's house and play" SERIOUSLY!!!

The snow however, was absolutely beautiful here are some of the pictures I got of it...

Thumbnail by kjuddy   Thumbnail by kjuddy   Thumbnail by kjuddy   Thumbnail by kjuddy   Thumbnail by kjuddy

gen2026
Camden, AR

January 2, 2013
6:57 AM

Post #9373031

Very beautiful photos... snow can make anything and everything look so pretty. We were discussing that fact on the way home Christmas evening when it was snowing so hard we couldn't see. But, boy when it melted it sure left a lot of distruction in its path! When we went to LR this past weekend we saw fields of pines almost destroyed plus lots of trees in peoples' yards, fencerows, etc. It really took a financial toll on the state I am sure!

Alex had a small magnolia in his front yard that was busted all to pieces but i think that was all that was damaged at his house - but he still had lots of snow when we were there so it was hard to see everything. I know it will be a long time before people get everything cleaned up and back to normal! Charlotte, it looks like you have your hands full for a while.

We had hog jowl and blackeyed peas last night. It is an annual tradition. Had this long list of things planned to get done yesterday but most of them I didn't get to. I have been working on a tufted or tucked duvet cover for Alex and Natalie and had planned to finish it - but found that once I got all my tucks in place that it had eaten up too much fabric and now I have to come up with a solution for that... I had to just walk away because it has been a project that has really pushed my buttons every step of the way. I will try to deal with whatever solution I come up with this weekend! Wouldn't be a big deal except that I mistakenly purchased microfiber sheets to use to do the duvet and I found out REALLY fast that I HATE dealing with microfiber! Oh well, I will eventually come up with something so that I can get the thing finished! They are having about 11 young women (friends of Natalie) come on Jan 11 - and I told her I thought I would have it done before then. I sure hope I manage to accomplish that at this point!

We have had quite a bit of rain starting on Christmas day, then the snow, and several more days of rain. Not sure how many total inches we have gotten, but at least it has made a dent in the deficit for the year. It is misting rain again this morning too. I am sure all the plants are thankful for the nice soaking. Seems like it has been almost a year since we had several days of rain back to back.

Have a great day everyone! Have to get back at this desk... first of month and end of year means a large pile!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

January 2, 2013
8:13 AM

Post #9373084

Here is the chicken recipe
http://therecipecrayonbox.blogspot.com/2012/03/perfect-chicken.html?m=1
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 2, 2013
8:48 AM

Post #9373114

Sandra: the link didn't work for me. I, too, believe that what you said to Genna is true and very profound. Well said!!

Charlotte: you certainly have your work cut out for you but I am confident that by spring you will have everything as beautiful as it ever was!! It is truly amazing that the only thing that was broken was the gazing ball.

We have been fortunate in that we had no snow and no power outages up here in our area. We did get a bit of rain a couple of days ago but we finished the year with a 14 inch deficit in rainfall. :(

I started off the New Year with food poisoning but I am much better now though still weak. I'm just taking things easy for a couple of days. I spent all day New Year's Day in the bed and sleeping off the effects of the food poisoning. Al and I had eaten out at lunch on New Year's Eve day. He ate something different than I did and it was the only time we did not eat the same thing that day so I can only guess that is where I got the "bug".

I suppose nobody has started a New Year's thread for January so I will start one. BBL.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 2, 2013
8:59 AM

Post #9373131

Here is a new thread for the New Year:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1292566/

Join us over here with your hopes for the New Year. :)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America