Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Soil and Composting: Help!

Communities > Forums > Soil and Composting
bookmark
Forum: Soil and CompostingReplies: 5, Views: 41
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2012
12:23 AM

Post #9348363

I think I fertilized too much. I have nasturtiums that I planted in a pot that I had previously watered with Miracle Gro. I think I remember that they wont bloom but will just be all leaves now. Is there any way to correct what Ive done? I started them from seed and they look terrific but Im thinking they wont bloom. 'Appreciate any suggestions.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 3, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #9348809

Change out the dirt?

Well, nitrogen being more soluble than the other components, I think all you can do is NOT fertilize, and hope. I think they'll be vigorous and eventually will flower.
I have some fertilizer called bloom booster. it is high in the second number.(phosphorous?) and I think that a dose of that will stimulate a flush of bloom.

Me, I can't get nasturtiiums to sprout.
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2012
4:35 PM

Post #9349026

I had wondered about flushing repeatedly with water and I had also wondered about bloom promoter fertilizer. The MG is higher in phos than a balanced fert so Im just not sure what to do.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2012
9:07 PM

Post #9349224

Flush repeatedly with water...remember what I did to over 200 tomato seedlings last January? I flushed and saved more than 2/3 of my beautiful plants. And, I gave the ratty looking ones to my neighbor. They bounced back and gave him a viper crop !!!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2012
9:09 PM

Post #9349225

Flush repeatedly with water...remember what I did to over 200 tomato seedlings last January? I flushed and saved more than 2/3 of my beautiful plants. And, I gave the ratty looking ones to my neighbor. They bounced back and gave him a bumper crop !!!
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2012
10:35 PM

Post #9349251

I saved a ficus tree once by flushing that my two kittens had been using as a litter box without my knowing... until the ammonia smell caught my attention.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Soil and Composting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clay poppysue 16 Oct 21, 2013 3:56 PM
Free compost, myth or truth JaiMarye 14 Oct 27, 2010 6:58 AM
Who Bakes Dirt 76summerwind 29 Apr 4, 2008 6:22 PM
sterilizing options tiG 22 Mar 29, 2008 7:47 PM
Soil & Fertilizer: Compost Tea SoCal 119 Mar 5, 2008 11:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America