-
AuthorContent
RODICAP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

December 3, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9348489

Bobbie Lou is the secret weapon to my success in growing ferns in the house. Every morning she meows loud to remind me that I need to spray my plants, including the ferns since it is time for her to have a drink. I have a variegated small corn plant that she like to lick water from , therefore since I spray that plant , I might as well do the rest of them, that includes a Boston fern, a maidenhair ferm, two birds nest ferns, a staghorn fern and two rescued unnamed ferns.
Wuth no exeption, she will reming me every day about spraying for a drink.

Thumbnail by RODICAP   Thumbnail by RODICAP   Thumbnail by RODICAP   Thumbnail by RODICAP   Thumbnail by RODICAP
Click an image for an enlarged view.

judyb
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9348493

Nice ferns! My fern-downfall has always been the arid climate and forgetfulness. You're lucky to have such a pretty reminder. :-)
RODICAP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

December 3, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9348561

Judy,

She loves plants just as much as I do. You should see her when I come in the house with a plant or anything green, including the veggies from the Farmer's Market on Wednesday. She demands to get a look and sometimes a sniff or a bite. LOL

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

December 3, 2012
12:09 PM

Post #9348821

That is a thoughtful kitty!
RODICAP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

December 3, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #9348914

My sweet helper.

Thumbnail by RODICAP
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Crista
Gilbert, AZ

December 3, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9348979

Huh. My cats just eat plants...they don't remind me of anything!

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

December 3, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9349143

Zoey squishes sits/stands on plants

Thumbnail by Fish_knees   Thumbnail by Fish_knees   Thumbnail by Fish_knees      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

RODICAP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

December 4, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9349396

Zoey is smart besides being gorgeous. She gets the best spots either indoors or out.
judyb
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9349411

I really like the through-the-window pic. Such a pretty kitty, too.

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

December 4, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #9349499

I was working from home and she was watching me from outside. She is the sweetest little cat :)

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

December 4, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9350069

She's beautiful. I love orange kitties. I love all kitties, lol.

cactusjumper

cactusjumper
Glendale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

December 6, 2012
9:33 AM

Post #9351294

I am so envious of the ferns, RODICAP. LOVE verns and they hate me. I'm guessing the word has gotten out to the fern world that I am a death trap for all ferns so they immediately give up and die the moment they enter my house. Seriously! ! I have tried different kinds in different locations in the house.
RODICAP, do you only mist them for water or do you water them as well and how often?
I'm thinking I never get the amount of light they need as well. It seems that one widow area is too bright while the other is too dim. Picky little plants they are.
I even had a Staghorn fern hung up in a shower with a window at one time. Yep, it died. I just can't seem to get it right.
Anyway, thanks for the photos. They stirred up the desire again. I thought I was finally over trying to grow a fern. Because of your photos, the next one that dies on me, will be your fault. :-)
RODICAP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

December 7, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9352134

Thanks for the guilt trip Cactusjumper. :O)
I water them maybe once every two weeks this time and once a week in the summer. I use the 'finger rule' (stick your finger in the soil) to see if they need watering or not.
As far as the light, bright light with no direct sun is the best. The ones that Bobbie Lou loves do not have as much light as I would like but they are doing OK. I usually put trays with pebbles that they will rest on and I add some water especially during the summer.
I hope this helps.

cactusjumper

cactusjumper
Glendale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

December 9, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #9353661

Thanks RODICAP, most of the things you told me about I can control and work with. Sadly, I don't think I have an area that will offer enough light. I just may give in though and give it another try. Again, thank you.
RODICAP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

December 10, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9354480

Good luck.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Southwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugs are Bloomin SUNNYAZ 28 Nov 30, 2007 11:52 PM
Purple Hopseed Bush Judy81350 6 Jul 23, 2013 10:47 PM
Lady Bugs Desertdenial5 17 Jun 17, 2007 9:08 PM
Snail Vine KactusKathi 37 Sep 4, 2007 4:33 AM
My magnolia has flower buds. RODICAP 19 Feb 6, 2008 3:18 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America