Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Garden Pests and Diseases: Black LADY BUGS ?

Communities > Forums > Garden Pests and Diseases
bookmark
Forum: Garden Pests and DiseasesReplies: 12, Views: 155
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 3, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #9348754

My Prickly Pear Cactus are loaded with black lady bugs.
It looks like they are eating the cactus scales ... which it good.
I call them "black lady bugs" because the larva and the bugs look like a lady bug.
Can anybody tell me what they are exactly?
good or bad?

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor
Click an image for an enlarged view.

luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9350754

Interesting bugs. Try putting your question and pictures on the bug files and see if you can get an answer. Luciee {;^)

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 24, 2012
2:36 AM

Post #9365817

Drthor, not sure if you've found an answer to your query yet, but those actually are a type of a 'lady bug' (there are lots of varieties), and they are the good guys. Among other things (like aphids), they also like to feed on scales. Apparently they like you! =)
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 25, 2012
11:18 AM

Post #9366795

Look up "Two Spot Ladybug".

That is a MASSIVE scale invasion on your cactus! No wonder the ladybugs are coming to such a feast!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 26, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9367429

Thanks
Yes lots of scales and lots of lady bugs

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 26, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9367837

Think of it this way; you're kind enough to be feeding "The Good Guys", so good for you! :) Gotta keep up the population of the good guys. :)

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 26, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9367847

YES I agree

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 27, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9368322

i think it's wonderful that you have so many ladybug larvae on the plants but i think when spring comes and there are no signs of them present, i would use a light spray of oil to kill off any remaining scale. the infestation you have is, i believe, enough to kill even a hardy cactus. if the plant isn't too big, you can use a can of generic cooking spray (like pam).

believe me, i'm all for the good bugs and it will be interesting to see just how much damage they did to the scale.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 27, 2012
11:09 AM

Post #9368445

really?
I can use Pam on them?
I normally don't use anything on my plants. I think the reason of all of those scale is that the trees on top of them got too big and they shaded the plants.
I will try first to trim down the trees and see if the extra sun light will help.
I luv my lady bugs. I hope they will take care of the scales.
Thanks

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 27, 2012
11:13 AM

Post #9368448

i've used pam or its generic counterpart for many years on scale. you don't want to spray in full summer sun or in winter but spring and fall okay. it smothers them the same as horticultural light oil.
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 27, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9368569

trackinsand, thanks for that bit of info. Luciee {;^)

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 27, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9368697

Now ... this maybe a stupid question:
I don't use Pam in my cooking ... so could I use olive oil on the scales too?

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 28, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9368876

that would be more like a heavy oil...and expensive, i would think. you can buy a cheap generic can of spray at any grocery store. oils specifically made for gardening come in the heavy and the light and you can only use the heavy oil in winter when the plant is dormant. i wouldn't think it would be good for cactus, no matter what the season..might even hurt or kill it.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Pests and Diseases Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hollyhock Rust ??? snuggles 8 Feb 25, 2008 1:41 PM
Pests: Calling all slug experts! (Not for the faint of heart) candleberry 162 Jun 18, 2014 7:41 AM
PROOF that milk kills mildew Wintermoor 26 Jun 26, 2007 4:54 PM
These ants are a bane Dinu 18 Nov 13, 2007 5:18 PM
Getting rid of yellow jackets ButterflyGardnr 23 Jun 18, 2009 2:34 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America