Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Where can I order seed storing bags? :)

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 23, Views: 167
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sailstheseas
Staten Island, NY
(Zone 7b)

December 3, 2012
12:32 PM

Post #9348845

Thanks! :)
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

December 3, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #9348968

Got to Staples or any office supply store and get a box of coin envelopes, that's what I use!
Sailstheseas
Staten Island, NY
(Zone 7b)

December 3, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9349015

Thank you, Tommy! :)

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

December 4, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #9349489

I make my own
http://allotmentjunkies.wordpress.com/2007/07/27/seed-saving-use-these-seed-envelope-packet-templates/
http://allotmentjunkies.wordpress.com/2007/02/17/more-free-seed-envelope-templates/
http://www.gardensandcrafts.com/seedpackets.html
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2012
10:26 AM

Post #9349605

I get the small zip-locks that Walmart sells in the craft dept. I think they are meant for beads. Also Diane's Seeds sells small glassine bags that small seeds don't stick to with static cling. I put the seeds in that, then fold it over and put it in a Zip-lock or coin envelope. I find that the coin envelopes-- which I also have and sometimes use, have 2 drawbacks: some seeds can leak out even if sealed, and once you seal it, you can't open and re-close. If you don't want to use all the seeds at once you have to put them in a new envie.

Hope this helps...

Pam
Sailstheseas
Staten Island, NY
(Zone 7b)

December 5, 2012
2:50 AM

Post #9350200

Thanks Pam!
But I had read its not good to put the seeds into plastic because air cannot get to them. How can they be stored in the fridge/ freezer w/O
Worry of damage? Thanks! Carol
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2012
5:26 AM

Post #9350247

I don't think lack of air is a problem because the better seed companies put their seeds in foil barrier packets. What I don't like about little plastic bags for seeds is static cling. The plastic builds up static and the seeds stick to the inside of the bag. No amount of shaking will get them fall out either.
Sailstheseas
Staten Island, NY
(Zone 7b)

December 5, 2012
7:09 AM

Post #9350330

Thanks Doug!
So maybe I can wrap seeds in foil then put in plastic bags? Thanks! :)
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9350358

That's why I get the glassine ones for the little seeds
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 5, 2012
1:35 PM

Post #9350647

I like to use paper from junk mail to fold into envelopes. Free, abundant, easy to make, easy to open/close.
Sailstheseas
Staten Island, NY
(Zone 7b)

December 8, 2012
10:23 AM

Post #9353037

Howdy all!
All great answers! I'm going thru seed catalogs as they come in. :)
So many plans!!! Where can I find the glassine envelopes? Thanks! Carol
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

December 8, 2012
3:27 PM

Post #9353209

http://www.dianeseeds.com/glassine-seed-envelopes.html

blomma

blomma
Casper, WY
(Zone 4a)

December 25, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9367074

I use Walmarts craft ziplock bags for mideum to large seeds. For small and dustlike seeds I use glassine envelopes to avoid them sticking to the sides from static electricity. The glassine envelope is then placed in the ziplock bag.

Plastic does not hurt seeds as long as the seeds are stored correctly---in the fridge ofcourse.
Jim41
Delhi, LA

December 28, 2012
3:16 PM

Post #9369313

I save a few of the small pill bottles when the medicine is gone. Usually keep four or five on hand. My diabetic strips now come in small snap top plastic bottle. They are really great. I also save a couple of the big perscription bottles for larger seed. Big quantities of seed I save, like green beans, I put in a glass jar. I put the smaller bottles in a gallon zip lock bag to keep them together and all go in the freezer.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

December 28, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9369376

Plastic bags can cause fungus due to dampness, the plastic bags the seed companies use are air free also, I use cheap paper envelopes that I can right the date, names, flowering times, colour and any other relevent info like planting time, soil type etc, store these in shoe box and place in COOL dark place, I never put seeds in fridge unless they call for a period of very cold like in Delphiniums etc.
Planting at the right time of year gives better results rather that man made interference with nature but others will disagree, I am giving my own methods that work for me and over the years has been used by many gardeners.
Once you find a method that suites you it will become second nature and works out well.
Good luck, WeeNel.

blomma

blomma
Casper, WY
(Zone 4a)

December 28, 2012
6:51 PM

Post #9369467

WeeNel
I think you have it backwards. Plastic bags prevent dampness, unlike paper envelopes.

I also do use snaptop prescription bottles for larger seeds.

Doug, that is why I use glassine envelopes inside plastic bag due to static electricity/cling.

Below are my Daylily and Iris seedlings planted May 30, 2012 from a November 2011 sowing. Photo taken September 2012.

Each seed that produced the seedlings were stored in plastic bags, and kept cool in the fridge before sowing.

Edited to add that the Irises on the far right are mature plants, not seedlings.

This message was edited Dec 28, 2012 7:53 PM

Thumbnail by blomma
Click the image for an enlarged view.

WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

December 29, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #9370052

Plastic can cause contents to sweat if not dried well before storing, paper can only dry things out unless stored in damp conditions, I did say I was giving the method that suits myself and many other gardeners and mentioned that other people will find whatever method and treatment suits them.
I guess the plastic bag storage will depend on what condition the seeds are in when being stored and would imagine complete dryness is a must.
Hope this clears my reply up.
Good luck, WeeNel.

blomma

blomma
Casper, WY
(Zone 4a)

December 29, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9370097

Wee, ofcourse seeds have to be cured dry before stored in plastic bags. I allow mine to dry for a week before storing.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 30, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #9370668

A LIVING seed always has moisture, Many of us live in areas where humidity is so hi, seeds cannot dry. With plastic bags many of us have lost seeds. If I have large seeds i use old fashioned letter envelopes, dated and Id'd in pencil and stored in an old metal breadbox to keep mice out. As many times as I've thrown something in the fridge to keep, the cycling temps with doors opening and closing/ defrost cycles/ children playing with t'stats- I opt paper. Less tears. NOT everyone needs the same measures- as WeeNel said. And some of us need even more measures, chuckl
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 30, 2012
12:52 PM

Post #9370685

[quote="WeeNel"] I never put seeds in fridge unless they call for a period of very cold like in Delphiniums etc.
[/quote]

WeeNel, your statement may be confusing to readers who are not familiar with the difference between dry storage of seeds as compared to stratification of seeds to break down germination inhibitors.
To clarify...
Storing seeds dry in a cold temperature does nothing to break down germination inhibitors - but it does enhance the ability to store the seeds successfully by isolating the seeds from possible fungal or insect damage.
Stratification, which is exposing seeds (of the species that require such treatment) to fluctuating warm and cold temperatures, is only achieved after the seeds have imbibed moisture; hence, exposure to cold temperatures or "cold stratification" is effective only after the seeds have been planted in moistened medium or placed in moistened paper towels (depending on the method used). To summarize, storing dry seeds in cold temperatures is not stratification and does not break down germination inhibitors.
Anyone who is interested in this subject, or anyone who starts a lot of perennials from seed, should be encouraged to read the publications of Dr. Norman Deno - fascinating and extremely readable accounts of valuable scientific research that debunks much of the anecdotal "advice" that is routinely passed around with respect to seed starting. There is a link to these publications provided on this forum.

This message was edited Dec 30, 2012 2:02 PM

blomma

blomma
Casper, WY
(Zone 4a)

December 30, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9370878

altagardener,
You are correct. Stratification doesn't happen unless cold along with moisture happens as in nature. I also use Dr Denos way of starting all my seeds (except iris seeds)---in moist paper towels.

Photo is of DL seeds after sprouting in a moist paper towel in just prior to potting.

Thumbnail by blomma
Click the image for an enlarged view.

WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

December 31, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #9371499

Now I'm confused, I understood the question was where to get bags for storing seeds, this I took to mean, storing from collecting the seeds UNTIL sewing the seeds when the right time/season arrives,
I was unaware the question had anything to do with STRATIFICATION, that is a completely different question to storing the seeds for future use.

Sorry for the mix-up hope no one has miss-understood my answer, I gave advice on storage of dried seeds only.
Best wishes and happy gardening.
WeeNel.
BrendaVR
Cambridge, ON
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2013
10:56 AM

Post #9375282

I too prefer glassine envelopes.

You can also get them from entomology supplies stores. I'm also an entomologist so I had them already and use them for seeds now too. I get mine from BioQuip but many "scientific" stores will carry them. Available in different sizes. I use the smallest one the most often. Side opening: http://www.bioquip.com/search/DispProduct.asp?pid=1131A
End opening: http://www.bioquip.com/search/DispProduct.asp?pid=1130A Or you can by "pads" of glassine and fold your own size or shape: http://www.bioquip.com/search/DispProduct.asp?pid=1130T

Its odd there is misinformation out there on storage...a bit of google searching will bring up many resources, I would look at how seed banks do long term storage.

Drying fresh seed for a minimum of two weeks is recommended from all my research.

Personally for short term storage, say one season, (for dry seeds) I put mine in glassine envelope then put them in a plastic ziplock bag with some silica gel to remove any remaining moisture then place that in the freezer (fridge would be fine too). For longer term storage I put the glassine envelopes in an airtight glass container with the silica and place in the freezer (as plastic bags still allow moisture in over time, all long term seed banks use sealed glass combined with silica descants and low temp). BioQuip also sells silica descants but the blue indicator is not to be used indoors (been identified as giving off cancerous fumes minutely and slowly but still...) I have the safer orange indicating silica so I know when the inside may be getting moist and the silica needs changing (more of an issue in the plastic bags I'm finding, doesn't need to be changed in the glass unless I haven't dried the seeds properly before storage).
BrendaVR
Cambridge, ON
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2013
11:17 AM

Post #9375302

[quote="kittriana"]A LIVING seed always has moisture, Many of us live in areas where humidity is so hi, seeds cannot dry. With plastic bags many of us have lost seeds. [/quote]

PS: I totally agree with Kittriana. I never put seeds in plastic without silica to keep the excess moisture from causing rot/mold. (even with silica the seed itself will have up to 15% moisture inside it still. if you go below a certain %, maybe 2 maybe 4 I don't remember, you will kill the living seed) My early storage attempts (years ago) usually rotted in plastic bags...to moist and no air movement. And protecting from high temps or temp changes is the best way to keep viable longer term.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America