Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Houseplants: growing paperwhites in water

Communities > Forums > Beginner Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Beginner HouseplantsReplies: 21, Views: 102
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

December 3, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9349099

I put one paperwhite bulb in this old green vase, I am going to try to have Amaryllis and Paperwhite flowers this month, I have not tried paperwhites but they say they are really easy, so I will give it a shot and post pictures as they grow.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes
Click the image for an enlarged view.

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

December 4, 2012
3:39 PM

Post #9349855

My Paperwhite is growing quite well, as you can see there is new greenery on it.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

December 4, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9350009

As you can tell, it is getting greener, and it is getting taller, and the potting soil is finally drying out. The second is growing further out of its bulb and it has a green tip on it so success so far. Of course you know which is which, 1. is my Minerva Amaryllis and 2. is Ziva Paperwhite, I am so happy!

Thumbnail by emptyeyes   Thumbnail by emptyeyes         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

December 4, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9350012

Should I peel any of the papery covering back from the paperwhite?
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

December 5, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #9350624

I have decided to put the Paperwhite in a canning jar with rocks, it will be easier to see if the roots do grow. The green glass is a little hard to see through, I was going to try to put all 3 of them in there but I don't think they will fit. So will post a picture of the new home when I get it done. I will get some rocks and rinse them off and see how they look when I get done.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

December 5, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9350775

Here is the Paperwhite's new home, I hope it is alright, It is more stable than the green glass, here is hoping it grows well, will keep you updated on progress.

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

December 7, 2012
9:56 AM

Post #9352248

I decided to go the regular way and put all of them in the same pot with potting soil. I think that might be the best idea anyway, the first one that was planted has a very small root forming so that is encouraging. Here is their new home, my hubby put a small hole in the bottom of one of the plastic pots that the kits come with and we shall see what happens. I can't figure out why when you get the kits at Wal-Mart, they don't have holes in them, I was at the store in Lima the other day and did not see any of them!

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

December 7, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #9352341

Here is a better picture of the Paperwhites, as you can see, there is greenery on some of them.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

December 10, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9355122

This is one of my Paperwhites, is this something to be worried about, or not? I planted the Paperwhites and the potting soil was damp but not soggy, one of them is almost straight up and they were all pretty bent when I took them out of the box. Even if I get one to grow tall and bloom I will consider it a success. And one is almost that way now, I just wish someone would tell me whether the plants would rather be in the window or under the fluorescent light.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #9357259

They look good so far! I've never tried growing them, but I'd like to try it. I will be watching yours progress. Thanks!
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

December 17, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9361007

how close is this to blooming? I had to take some pics of it, hopefully it will be soon, I have a few more that are getting there too. They have really taken off. Got a question, how do I delete some of the articles that are in my favorites? I have one that is titled Paperwhites in water and I don't have any in water, any advice would be helpful. I moved my infected amaryllis on my desktop and the good one and the Paperwhites on the tv tray.

KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 18, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #9361495

I don't know how long before they bloom, but looks like they're doing great!
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

December 22, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #9364844

The first one that I planted is now 13 1/2 inches tall! For some reason it won't let me upload images right now, so I will post one when it lets me. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 22, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9364861

Wow, I hope you get a bloom for Christmas!
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

December 23, 2012
2:21 PM

Post #9365541

Success!!! At least I will have Paperwhite blooms for Christmas! I am so excited, I took them out of the window to prolong the blooms.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9365603

HOORAY, CONGRATS!!!
Evie21
Hull
United Kingdom

December 24, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #9366100

Wow,I've enjoyed watching your thread,I'm so glad one has opened in time for Christmas for you,hope the others open soon.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 24, 2012
1:52 PM

Post #9366197

Hmm, I wonder if they'll go on sale after Christmas around here...I want one!
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

December 25, 2012
10:47 AM

Post #9366771

As you can see the Paperwhites are blooming like crazy! And I think the Amaryllis is not too far behind. Here is a picture of the second scape. It has gotten some color and it is a very weird shape, don't know quite what to make of it.

KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 25, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #9366916

Maybe it'll be an interesting sport?
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

December 25, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9367071

What do you mean by sport? I have never heard that phrase in connection with amaryllis.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 25, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9367099

I found this definition here:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/terms/go/859.html

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America