Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: I can't tell if this is a wolf spider...

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 5, Views: 38
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Notamongsheep
Lower Grand Lagoon, FL

December 3, 2012
10:04 PM

Post #9349244

Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum. Today I found a big spider in my son's room. I've found several of these mostly around the back door and sometimes in my laundry if I've dumped the laundry on the floor to sort. I'm wondering what type of spider it is. I've looked through several pictures of spiders and none of them seem quite right. I've looked at the wolf spider and it seems more hairy and also has two pairs of eyes followed by a quadruple. The brown recluse has a violin shape and seems that it may grow to be smaller than this spider. If anyone can help me identify what this may be, I would surely be greatful! I live in florida near the gulf, if that helps any.

**EDIT**

Some info in case you can't tell from the picture : This spider has markings on it's back similar to the wold spider, but almost no markings on the butt (Sorry, I don't know what it's technically called =P ) It had a small-ish gradient type darker spot that sort of faded and lighter pairs of dots on the back end. The back end was very smooth and the spider did not seem hairy, although it looked as if to have a velvety texture. The back end was oval in appearance and the legs all seemed to be of the same length. There were six eyes, three pairs in mirrored vertical inclines toward the front. The legs had no pattern to them, they were one color but had sharp hairs sticking out from them. That's about all I can tell you =)

This message was edited Dec 4, 2012 12:10 AM

Thumbnail by Notamongsheep   Thumbnail by Notamongsheep   Thumbnail by Notamongsheep   Thumbnail by Notamongsheep
Click an image for an enlarged view.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 3, 2012
11:09 PM

Post #9349260

You'vre given good details.
I am pretty positive it is NOT a brown recluse, so rest easy on that. Since it's not a recluse, or black widow, rest easy that it's not very harmful, if at all. I'll let the pros decide on the ID.
Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

December 4, 2012
3:25 AM

Post #9349313

This is a wolf spider, the lowest two pair of eyes are small and close together - http://www.flickr.com/photos/10676369@N07/2605213467 - difficult to see in your image.
Notamongsheep
Lower Grand Lagoon, FL

December 4, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #9349467

Sally g, thanks for the reassurance =) flapdoodle, could this wolf spider be female, younger, or a different type of wolf spider? I'm just curious to know exactly what it is =) it was a beautiful spider, the markings on it didn't look distinct like pictures I saw of other wolf spiders. It was a really really nice texture as well. It was beautiful. The pictures don't do it justice!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2012
9:37 AM

Post #9350461

I agree on this being a beautiful spider. Not many people can appreciate their beauty. The large pedipalps point to this being a male. FD will correct me if I'm wrong.
Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

December 5, 2012
11:41 AM

Post #9350546

It more likely is a male, as their palps are swollen at the terminal end. This is more reliable than the length of the palps - see http://bugguide.net/node/view/512530 for a wolf spider that has one male and one female palp.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America