-
AuthorContent
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 4, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9349421

How do you see where you are sewing when you have to sew from corner to corner and can't see the line under the presser foot. I know that detail is so important as is getting right from corner to corner.
This is what I am doing. Sewing a square block onto a rectangle and even though I have marked the line from corner to corner I can't see under the presser foot where I am going??? I finally got a few done but had to rip out several before I got it right on the corner to the opposite corner.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader   Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9349427

You need to look in front of the needle. Do you nave a 1/4" quilting foot? Those usually have an open front end so you can see where the needle is going.
Another trick is to draw the line at the 1/4 and follow that with the 1/4" foot.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 4, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #9349442

Better picture
Also, when I go to put the needle down in the corner it goes into the opening of the machine. Help.

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9349453

If you use a leader piece of fabric first, then it wont scrunch up the corner when you first put the needle down in your patter piece, it will just glide from one piece of fabric to the next. . You can use a scrap piece of fabric over and over or cut yourself some little squares and keep them for leaders and enders and toss them into a bin for making nine patches or w/e later.

I either use Jeans line method or if using small squares I eyeball it. Using the method you are is much easier than making them with triangles. Im horrible at that.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2012
9:02 AM

Post #9349551

does your machine have a needle down option?? put the needle down, presser foot up...butt the pieces of fabric up to needle, start to sew...sometimes very helpful to hold onto the threads coming off the back as you start to stitch...

go to u tube and watch a few 1/2 square triangle videos...Eleanor Burns, sewing with Nancy... Missouri quilts

see Bonnie hunters blog for ideas on leaders and enders http://quiltville.blogspot.com/ take a look around she has wonderful ideas and tips !!!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #9349585

O man, that is a great site. I could live a lifetime and not get thru the things there I like. If you can make it past the free patterns, to the mystery quilts, if you click on the last part of each quilt you can see the whole thing. Love those too.

Its her leaders and enders book that got me addictied to doing that anyway. If Im doing a quilt, not a wall hanging, Im drawn to scrap quilts anyway

As I said somewhere else, those Missouri qult videos can keep me up late at night. So many good ideas, especially if your a visual person and like to see, not read.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 4, 2012
10:02 AM

Post #9349593

Here is my question and answer all in one shot
http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2011/03/those-bonus-triangles.html
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 4, 2012
11:04 AM

Post #9349629

TA DA
Thanks you gals. I also found my quilting foot that has the open end like you mentioned Qwilter. Woo Hoo, I am a happy camper now.
They aren't perfect but I think they are close. Now I only have to make 9 more blocks. ehehe I have 3 done so far

The fabric was free and it probably isn't the best choice but I loved the vintage toile and the burgandy balls worked for contrast and it will have a nice red border and and and you will just have to wait and see. ehehe

This message was edited Dec 4, 2012 3:24 PM

abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 4, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9349697

That is what makes these threads so great...you have a question, there is always so help close at hand. I don't know how I lived so long with out this group.;-0

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

December 4, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9349844

Well I think you're doing great. Hmmmm 9 more blocks...table runner maybe?

Totally agree on the Missouri Quilt videos., I find my self going back for refresher courses. Put several in my favs.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 4, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9349866

No table runner, the blocks are 18" x 18" x 12 plus sashing plus inner border and outer border and binding. It should be a pretty good size quilt.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
Click the image for an enlarged view.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

December 4, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9349913

Ahhhh OK didn't know the blocks were so big. Very pretty.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9349962

Me either I would sure not have eyeballed those.. I was thinking more a 2 1/2 inch size , when I suggested that.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2012
8:39 PM

Post #9350133

I think you have a lovely combination of fabrics Jan...think you were a quilter in another lifetime??? You are doing great...I think I was sewing/quilting for about five years before I attempted 1/2 sq triangles... that was a long time ago, I still do not get them all perfect...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2012
9:39 PM

Post #9350149

I've always loved 1/2 squares! I like the technique where you sew continuous several squares on either side of line and then cut them apart. I'm more confident in 1/2 squares than I am lining up straight sewing over and over again.

I love your combination Jan and look forward to seeing pics of the finished product!
mittsy
Cocoa Beach, FL
(Zone 11)

December 5, 2012
1:39 AM

Post #9350190

I always make my half square triangles oversize, then cut them to perfect size before beginning the block assembly. Saves on rejects.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 5, 2012
3:37 AM

Post #9350207

Great suggestion Mittsy..
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2012
5:36 AM

Post #9350251

To stop the fabric from going into the "hole" most brands make a sole plate that has a hole just for a center needle position. So instead of that long slot, there is just room for a needle. Really does help with the corners getting "eaten".

You just have to remember to change it out when you go to do any zigzag type sewing.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2012
6:29 AM

Post #9350298

Ah Ha! I have one of those. This is a fairly new machine and I am still finding out what all the pieces and parts do.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #9350303

I keep the single hole strike plate on when quilting. I think it makes everything glide thru easier.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9350355

Oh, I found out the one I have is strictly for the quilting process as the foot feeds don't touch the fabric. Duh... I only took a moment to figure that one out. I guess I don't have a single hole striker plate.
heheh

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America