Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Gardening Questions: tiger aloe help/advice.

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 9, Views: 72
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sgp1
london
United Kingdom

December 4, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9349726

i have a question but im brand new here so dont know hot to start a topic but my tiger aloe is growing up like a palm tree? why? have i repotted it wrong when it was young brecause it definatly a tiger aloe but its growing up every time it loses a leaf its growing tallish this has been over a good 6-7 years should it be potted up to the base of the leaves and not have the stem thing with remains of years worth of dead leaves i would upload a pic if i knew how,can someone in the know get back to me because imnon are like this puzzled ivs seen hundred's of images and NEVER one like this it ait grafted onto somthing iv had it from a tiny pup

This message was edited Dec 4, 2012 1:19 PM

Thumbnail by sgp1   Thumbnail by sgp1   Thumbnail by sgp1
Click an image for an enlarged view.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9349860

One of the prime reasons Aloes lose leaves is overwatering. Does your container have drainage holes? How often do you water? What about light? Is the plant in sun or shade?

You posted just fine...it can be a bit intimidating at first, but hang in and you'll soon get the hang of things here.
sgp1
london
United Kingdom

December 4, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9349983

i aint joking hen i say aby 4 times a year,i meand the question is. i mean have i potted it wrong should the "trunk looking thingbr be exosed like that or under with soil upto the beginng of leafs? it was in a tiny pot rootbound and only got moved into the larger pot,
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9349987

I agree with moon about checking your watering--aloes are succulents and don't need a lot of water so it's not hard at all to overwater them. Also, it looks like you're growing it indoors, and insufficient light will make things grow taller/leggier than they would if they were grown with the ideal amount of light.

But--if you want to doublecheck that it is indeed a tiger aloe and not something else (mislabeled plants are a very common problem!) I would see if you can get some more focused pictures of it and post them in the Plant ID forum http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/plantid/all/ (to get your camera to focus on the plant, try sticking a piece of white paper behind it when you take the picture, that'll force the camera to focus on the plant rather than something else)
sgp1
london
United Kingdom

December 5, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #9350532

i think people are missin my point shoud the trunk thing be burrid when repotting?all others tigher alos and yes it is one,dont have a trunk they are potted right up to the beggining of the leaves? it dont have bad lightin its a pic took with a crap fone and in a bright room to get a good pic

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9350726

Personally, I think burying the trunk would not be a good idea as it would become susceptible to rot/mold/infection. You asked why your plant was growing "like a palm tree" and that was the question we were trying to sort out first.
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9350734

I has a regular aloe that had a long stem and a problem staying up right. The problem was that I was over watering and fertilizing it. As a result it grow to fast and wasn't particularly strong.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2012
11:06 PM

Post #9351042

It looks to me like it's just getting older and has developed a stem. Sometimes aloes will do this. It looks pretty healthy to me.
Aloes are pretty forgiving. I have lots of different aloes and I haven't ever had one "distort" because of watering it too much or too little. They aren't even all that picky about how much light they get, they just won't bloom in the shade. About the only thing you can do to damage an aloe is over-water it and then the roots will rot like with any succulent.
sgp1
london
United Kingdom

December 6, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9351166

[quote="Domehomedee"]It looks to me like it's just getting older and has developed a stem. Sometimes aloes will do this. It looks pretty healthy to me.
Aloes are pretty forgiving. I have lots of different aloes and I haven't ever had one "distort" because of watering it too much or too little. They aren't even all that picky about how much light they get, they just won't bloom in the shade. About the only thing you can do to damage an aloe is over-water it and then the roots will rot like with any succulent.[/quote]

it is over 10 years old i dont know exaxt age it was tiny when first got it when i collected cactus as a kid my aunti gave me it so im taking its just age im not planning on burrying the stem just all pics iv looked at to just be the leaves at ot level and stem.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 16, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9359947

Most aloes have pups under them- you dont see the stem- has it bloomed before? mine die after they bloom, dont bury stem, mine also survive out of ground in a drawer without water all winter, then we stick em in ground.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America