-
AuthorContent
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9349942

Unfortunately vine broke in 1/2 so I tied sheer fabric around split and put some root hormone on it hoping it will heal. If not will cut it and try to start new plant. It grows very fast.

Thumbnail by BonnieGardens
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 5, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9350344

Very pretty Bonnie. Love the color.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2012
9:52 AM

Post #9350478

yes, very nice, Ive been waiting to see what it was going to look like. I love flowers with orange and pink
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9351759

The pic. doesn't really do justice to the beautiful colors but thought you would enjoy seeing it anyhow. Vine broke completely so I peeled some bark back and dipped in rootone and planted it in same pot. I'm hoping it will root.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 7, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9352370

Bonnie, mine is loaded with buds and now has a couple of blooms. Take that broken piece and stick it in a TALL pot of good potting soil - it should root in about 4 weeks.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 8, 2012
3:51 PM

Post #9353220

It's in good soil so hopefully it will root. It's such a beautiful vine.
Kay, do you have to bring it inside when it gets cold? I'm sure your area is colder than mine.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 8, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9353280

Oh, YES - we get a couple of nights of hard freeze. I leave it out until night temps drop to 40, then I bring it in. It's difficult to move, being in a 30 gallon tub.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 10, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9355007

Mines just in 2 gal. pot so I can bring it in but my house is all wood walls so pretty dark. Will have to put a light up over it I guess. Occasionally we get 27 night time temps. I figured that would do it in so will protect it. Thanks you for info.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 12, 2012
5:55 AM

Post #9356237

That is an absolutely beautiful flower. I just love bright colors. I need to add this to my "NEED this plant" list!!!!!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 12, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9356881

Quilter if my rooting works I will have one for you at next RU. Have 2 stuck in pot and hope they make it.
Bonnie
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 13, 2012
5:01 AM

Post #9357039

Bonnie - thank you so much!!! Maybe by RU time I'll finally have a plant to share.
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2013
10:35 AM

Post #9396133

Does anybody have seeds from this plant they could share or swap? Thank you!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2013
3:07 PM

Post #9396422

Buttoneer,
Haven't had this long enough to know much about it but if I can get a rooted cutting or 2 I can send 1.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2013
3:26 PM

Post #9396448

Bonnie, they root easily, though the cuttings do take a couple of months to root. Here's how I was told: take a foot-long cutting, dip it in rooting hormone, stick it in some well-draining potting mix and keep it moist.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 24, 2013
3:50 PM

Post #9396474

I was given a small cutting of this last fall by a neighbor and it wasn't blooming at the time. It's caught! Now I am looking forward to it. Somehow I forgot to research it until your photo brought it back to mind! It is like a tropical sunset Morning Glory! It took forever to get going...
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2013
5:10 PM

Post #9396552

Ah but I'm sure its worth waiting for. Blossom I took pic of was the only one I got. Kay thats just how I did it. On the largest section left it now has 2 buds. I have it right next to my front door so if temp. drops and I put it inside easy.

You know how some plants just captivate your interest well this one sure got my attention.
Some lady in Mulberry said she had lots of them so I contacted her but couldn't effect buying any. Said she had many rooted cuttings. Hopefully someday I will also but I doubt I'd ever plant them out in yard as too cold sensitive.
Anyhow, I'll just hope for the best.

Bonnie
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2013
5:39 PM

Post #9396584

Bonnie, Thanks much. I would gladly reimburse you for the cost of the postage but March or April would be better for shipping up here to Pa. I have a greenhouse, so no problem keeping it warm. I believe the scientific name is Stictocardia beraviensis.
http://www.google.com/search?q=stictocardia beraviensis&hl=en&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=AuIBUY7XGM6u0AGHv4CIDA&sqi=2&ved=0CC0QsAQ&biw=800&bih=437
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2013
6:11 PM

Post #9396636

Buttoneer, I think it would be safer to wait until June for Bonnie to ship to you. This plant is super cold-sensitive.
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2013
6:33 PM

Post #9396655

Okey Dokey. Thanks, Kay for the advice. Then, June it is, then and would give her a chance to get the cuttings rooted. Isn't it possible to get seeds off this plant? I did a google images on it & it showed seeds. Thanks.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 25, 2013
3:22 AM

Post #9396902

Yes, they do set seeds if pollinated, but mine has never set seeds. You can buy the seeds on EBay.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 25, 2013
3:51 AM

Post #9396910

My friend Sue has had hers in the ground here 2 years, and it comes back on her fence like a weed! However I read last night that many say they do just as well in a pot and don't mind being shaped up on occasion. Sometimes more blooms this way... Just looking forward to the first one!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2013
4:18 PM

Post #9397578

I figured it will take a couple of months to root and get well established. In your climate better to ship to in summer I'm sure.
I just hope it roots.

David, sure hope yours does well. They are really a beautiful bloom.

Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2013
4:26 AM

Post #9399797

Buttoneer,

Got a lousy memory so please D-mail me in June and see if I successfully rooted some.

On our way back up to my original home Connecticut we went thru Carlisle one year. Great looking little town. No more trips up north now my family is all gone. If your ever in Fl. you can stop by and visit my garden and ponds. One of my greatest joys is sharing gardening and ponding experiences with others.

Bonnie
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2013
8:13 PM

Post #9400817

Bonnie, I've been badgering my DH to take me back to Florida once more. His Aunt & Uncle live in Lakeland and I have a couple of girlfriends, one living in Auburndale and one in Plant City but I can't seem to get him to take the camper down there & spend some time, preferably in March. All he seems to want to do is to go to Va. and go gold prospecting. Men, anyway!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2013
3:55 AM

Post #9400953

Buttoneer - I'm originally from outside of Pittsburgh, went to college in both Erie & Indiana, & can tell you a winter in FL (on a bad day) beats any in PA!!!!!! Washed pollen off of 3 cars yesterday & got a sun burn in the process!!!!! The decision to move down here was one of the best we ever made.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 30, 2013
6:29 AM

Post #9402348

As a Born Floridian I can tell you this is not a normal winter. AND our summers can be hot as h***!!!!

Sandy
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2013

Post #9407927

Button,
I am about 30 mins. from Lakeland and Plant City is not far either. March maybe warm but shouldn't be hot and h---.
Wren is right we are not experiencing a normal winter by any means. I still haven't covered any plants but last night it went down to 33 at least when I got up at 6AM. I ran out with flashlight in bathrobe to check my fish. They all were living so I'm happy.

After being here 43 years I know I couldn't take the northern cold anymore. When it gets real hot I just come inside with the AC and work inside the house. Can't have everything in the way of weather so I just go with the flow.

Bonnie

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 28, 2013
8:16 PM

Post #9435075

Qwilter I have found that people who first come to live in Florida love our winters but after a few years they find out why we Floridians think it is darn cold when we do have cold weather. Our problem is we never have a chance to get use to a weather change. We may wake up freezing in the morning and in shorts by afternoon. Back when I worked I saw a lot of my Northern coworkers get very sick during their 2 and 3 winters down here.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 21, 2013
6:12 PM

Post #9457526

Been babying that Hawaii sunset vine along. Looks like it might have been worth the effort. Now it is loaded with buds.
The cuttings did not root but I will keep trying. Quilter when you come down for RU we will cut some off and you may have better luck than I did.

Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 23, 2013
10:36 AM

Post #9459116

Curb alert! If you live in the Orlando area and want any of the 300 fingernail bromeliads I just ripped out and put down at the curb, have at them! DMail me for the address. Please don't knock, just load and go! :)

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 23, 2013
12:47 PM

Post #9459238

My little Hawaiian Sunset is still sitting there,...I am hoping it was just because of the late cold weather. It does have a new growth bud showing development though!

David
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 6, 2013
6:35 PM

Post #9474107

My Hawaii sunset vine has finally got a bunch of buds on it and has bloomed 2 flowers so far. They are really beautiful.

I have more patience with waiting for plants to mature than many other things. Good luck all with yours. The 2 I started dried up and died but I will keep trying.

Bonnie
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 7, 2013
11:22 AM

Post #9474766

I have a UI vine on my side fence that looks a lot like this vine. Since the winter was so mild, it just kept growing. BLooming like crazy now. Perhaps I'll take come cutting & see if I can get them to root.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 7, 2013
12:44 PM

Post #9474853

Bonnie, don't toss them! I had the same thing happen - it took nearly a year for the cuttings to root - maybe patience is the key to success with these cuttings.
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 9, 2013
3:41 PM

Post #9477940

They do produce seeds. I'd take a small paintbrush & try to o=pollenate all the flowers LMK if this works for you.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2013
3:47 PM

Post #9477951

Thanks Kay, I'll try again.
Bonnie

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 10, 2013
4:37 AM

Post #9478486

What is a UI vine Q?

I had just got the Hawaiian Sunset cutting before Winter and it had just started rooting then. I thought it was a goner a month ago but it is all of a sudden growing. Hurray! I worked the soil really well with lots of good compost and gave it a home by the front door yesterday. Here's a couple of pic's now...and am hoping to be able to show it blooming by Summer...

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 10, 2013
5:02 AM

Post #9478511

UI = unidentified...no idea what I planted 5 years ago!!!!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 15, 2013
8:03 AM

Post #9484694

Here are some more photos of Bonnie's sunset vine I took at the round up...
-Sherri

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 15, 2013
8:06 AM

Post #9484698

Lovely

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 15, 2013
2:23 PM

Post #9485215

Great pictures of Bonnie's Hawaiian Sunset Vine Sherri! I'm hoping mine gets that pretty and I like your new avatar!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 16, 2013
9:21 AM

Post #9485962

Isn't that vine gorgeous, I want one now. David, I'm sure yours is gonna really take off now that it has poked out of the soil.

I guess all the avatars are a bit blurry but my monarch cat still looks like a caterpillar at least, could hardly tell what the other one was. ☺

I was out in the garden working away and heard Amazing Grace playing really loud somewhere in the distance...I stopped for a moment and thought about all those injured and the loved ones of those that lost their lives yesterday in Boston.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

June 5, 2013
6:05 PM

Post #9547833

Have any of you fertilized this plant? If so what with? This low zoner is very grateful for any and all help!

I purchased a vine that the greenhouse called a perennial Morning Glory vine. It came from Florida and has leaves the same shape as the plants above. The owner of the greenhouse said the blooms were pink and orange and very unique (I figured it might have been named incorrectly and may be the above plant). It has numerous buds on it now so I'll know soon.

This message was edited Jun 5, 2013 7:07 PM
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 5, 2013
7:17 PM

Post #9547925

Kay I was supposed to remind you in June if your Stictocardia produced seeds or if you were able to root a cutting. I would give anything to be able to move to Fla but DH doesn't like the hot summers. I would do as you do & stay inside and do my outside gardening early morning and evening. Right now, I am starting seeds from trades & some I brought back from Central Va, I successfully rooted my beach beans (a couple of them), also what I suspect is a Mucuna seed I got from a sea shell shop at the delaware seashore years ago, and it is growing like crazy in sand along with the beach beans. My biggest problem is spider mites. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kay, I', so sorry, I was supposed to remind Bonnie.

This message was edited Jun 5, 2013 10:18 PM

This message was edited Jun 6, 2013 4:15 PM
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 6, 2013
3:43 AM

Post #9548168

My Sticto. did not produce seeds and the cuttings died.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

June 6, 2013
6:30 AM

Post #9548305

Now I'm positive I have the above. Last night I left mine out and this morning, after reading they don't like cool temps, I went out to check mine. The plant itself looks fine but the buds have all turned brown (I'll have to take a pic of it soon).

Oh well it can head off to my greenhouse and work on making more.

:'(

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 6, 2013
9:42 AM

Post #9548546

Lilypon I know Bonnie has cows, and she makes her own potting soil with the manure. Not sure if she fertilizes beyond that. Keep that baby protected because they are stunning flowers...I still need to snatch some up from Bonnie.
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 6, 2013
1:13 PM

Post #9548742

So sorry to hear that, Kay.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

June 6, 2013
7:44 PM

Post #9549325

Thank you for the heads up Sunkissed! :D In another thread, in the Florida forum I think, I saw where some suggested something like 9-3-6 for Hibiscus so I'm learning the tropicals do have different wants then the normal plants we grow here. Will also feed my Lady Margaret with just epsom salts and watch for yellowing (saw what someone down South said to do that...my notes on what to do for that are elsewhere right now).

Am praying I can overwinter the Sunset vine now after reading your "keep that baby protected because they are stunning flowers." *sigh* re my leaving it outside last night.

This message was edited Jun 6, 2013 8:47 PM

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

June 19, 2013
9:20 AM

Post #9564937

My mystery perennial morning glory plant bloomed and I now have confirmation that it is the above!!!! :D

It also came with a few bugs (currently under treatment).

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

June 19, 2013
10:41 AM

Post #9565032

nope mine has http://www.hort.uconn.edu/ipm/greenhs/htms/edema.htm edema ... too much love. *sigh*

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

June 19, 2013
12:39 PM

Post #9565149

Mine with edema,,,some leaves have it bad some not at all

Thumbnail by Lilypon

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 21, 2013
7:51 AM

Post #9567451

LILYPON,
HAVE NEVER FERTILIZED MY SUNSET VINE SO REALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU SHOULD USE. EXCUSE LARGE TYPE, JUST HAD EYE SURGERY AND CAN BEST SEE IT.
I NEVER LEFT IT OUTSIDE ALL WINTER WHEN IT WENT BELOW 40. I NEED TO BUY A BIG BEAUTIFUL POT SO I CAN PUT IT ON DOLLY TO BRING INSIDE. SOME WINTERS HERE WE GET SERIOUS COLD SNAPS FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS AND I THINK THAT WOULD KILL IT.
HOPE YOU CAN KEEP YOUR LIVING AS THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL. I MAY TRY SOME MORE CUTTINGS TO SEE IF I CAN ROOT THEM.
HAPPY GARDENING
BONNIE

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

June 30, 2013
3:08 PM

Post #9580519

THANK YOU FOR THE HEADS UP BONNIE! (SOMEHOW I LOST THIS THREAD).

OUR TEMPERATURES ARE PREDICTED TO BE IN THE 90'S THIS WEEK (TEXAS AND SASKATCHEWAN ARE TRADING TEMPERATURES SOON). :'(

SO I'M THINKING MY HAWAIIAN SUNSET VINE (AND PLUMERIA...IN BUD BTW) WILL BE VERY HAPPY HERE (AND I'LL BE TAKING THEM OUT OF THE GREENHOUSE TONIGHT). US COLDER TEMPERATURE LOVING CANADIANS HOWEVER WILL BE MELTING AWAY.

*SIGH*

PAM

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

July 14, 2013
11:52 AM

Post #9598652

Bonnie I hope you are seeing better now! I have a question for you...

How easy does the vine pollinate? What is/are its pollinators?

By chance I found another Sunset vine (its trellis and vines had been broken) but the vines were still a couple of feet long. My daughter wanted a cutting from mine (didn't think I'd have much luck there since Floridians are either reporting failure or that it takes months to root) so I was tickled pink (and it was very cheap and I expect it will send up new growth very quickly).

I'm going to give the above to my daughter, next time we head to Alberta, but was thinking of using the above to pollinate mine (it has some unopened buds on it right now).

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

July 14, 2013
11:54 AM

Post #9598655

Should also say mine loved the *feels like* of 100F that we had a couple of days ago.

It is pumping out the blooms like crazy now.

(though last night we hit 48F due to a cool front going through so this time I made sure mine was back in the greenhouse ;o).
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2013
6:49 PM

Post #9620668

Lilypon,
Sorry but I have no idea who polinates it. I did add a little more cow manure tea to its pot since I posted last. I watered in it also. I keep it very wet now cause its really hot here and its in direct sun. It has a lot of new shoots coming out on it right now.
I was sad I couldn't root it cause I know a lot of people would like to have one. I will have to keep trying. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
Glad yours is doing so well. Enjoy!!
Bonnie

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

August 3, 2013
9:21 PM

Post #9620750

Darn I was so hoping!

I wish you lots of luck re rooting it Bonnie...maybe now that it is warm (ok really hot there ;o) it will root easier for you???

Mine sent lots of new shoots up in my greenhouse as well so we know that plant loves the heat (daughter's broken one has also recovered and has a lot of new growth). I sure hope that we will be able to overwinter them!

Thank you for your reply!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2013
7:18 AM

Post #9620940

Instead of trying to break off a piece to root, what if you lie it along the ground to see if it will form roots where it touches the dirt. A few of my vines seem to do that.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2013
6:32 PM

Post #9623538

Mine is in a pot cause it has to come in for cold weather but Quilter thats a good idea I can try.
Bonnie

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 11, 2013
10:32 AM

Post #9627494

Just use a second pot next to the first one and put a little dirt over it.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2013
1:53 AM

Post #9629203

Good idea Wren. I'll try that.
Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 31, 2013
6:25 PM

Post #9647142

Woohoo got one rooted and possibly a second. Felt like doing the happy dance. My husb. thought I had flipped out. What else is new.
I'm sure its rooted. Just put 2 little stones over them to make sure they stayed down in the dirt.
When I get the chance will fill more pots and try to start more so when next RU comes up I will have some to share with others. Really need a greenhouse. Would be so handy.
Happy Gardening to all.
Bonnie
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 31, 2013
6:32 PM

Post #9647146

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I've usually had good luck with this method for rooting.

Noticed very few Dutchman Pipes and a lot of cats the past week or so. Big, fat, happy looking cats.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 31, 2013
6:40 PM

Post #9647153

Bonnie great news

I have Gold Bar cats on my pipe vines, have had some many this year
that 9 vines are not enough. Need to start some seeds

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 4, 2013
10:51 AM

Post #9650579

That is great Bonnie, you sure do have lots of space for a greenhouse...Hey maybe the pool area...LOL.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2013
11:28 AM

Post #9653313

Sherrie, don't temp me. Pool has been nothing but a pain all summer. I've decided this winter I am going to pump it out and start from scratch. Takes 2 days to pump out. I'm sure it needs painting so I'll wait until its cooler. As long as it doesn't rise up out of the ground I'll be OK. My pool co. I deal with warned me it oculd happen but I doubt the water table is high enough now to do that. That pool has 8" thick walls of concrete. Built in 1954. Now you can't build a pool over 6 feet I don't think.

Thanks to Sandy for the idea of how to root the Hawaii sunset vine. For once I got someting to root easily.
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

September 12, 2013
8:11 AM

Post #9657831

My parsley was just cleaned out by the Swallowtail cats...they're just a pretty as the actual butterfly! I don't mind them munching it away every year, the benefit outweighs the lack of fresh parsley!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2013
7:48 PM

Post #9658366

M Mary,
Another plant they love is the red cleredendrum of which I have tons and it has really spread itself. When you come over remind me to give you some. Plenty rooted all over.
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

September 12, 2013
8:32 PM

Post #9658392

Bonnie, how tall do they get?
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2013
5:27 PM

Post #9660875

Some of mine are about 5 or 6 feet. If they get out of hand they rip out easily.
Butterflys don't eat them up they just get the nector.
Can't understand why no cats. on the dutchmens pipe vine this year. It's still all intact.

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 17, 2013
11:12 AM

Post #9662375

BonnieGardens wrote:
Can't understand why no cats. on the dutchmens pipe vine this year. It's still all intact.

Bonnie, I think that is because they all are on mine! LOL

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 21, 2013
1:05 PM

Post #9666250

And mine...they ate the vines down tot he ground and I had miles of the vines. So many baby butterflies out there now.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 21, 2013
4:35 PM

Post #9666423

I have lots of vines and butterflies but little damage

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 24, 2013
11:49 AM

Post #9669094

This was my first year getting blooms of the pipe and it seems that mine is starting another bloom season. Had flowers for a good part of the summer and then they stopped. Last week I noticed more blooms starting to form .
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 25, 2013

Post #9669763

Shauna,
My dutchmans pipe is blooming like crazy again also. Go figure. Maybe its all this rain we are getting is making them happy.
We got 4 inches in past 2 days.
Bonnie

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 25, 2013
10:26 AM

Post #9669887

This has been such an odd year weather-wise. Late season cold fronts, overly heavy amounts of rain all summer...

wonder what winter is going to bring...

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 26, 2013
6:48 AM

Post #9670577

:)~ (evil grin) ;o)
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 26, 2013
9:06 AM

Post #9670719

Whatever it brings we can handle it. Personally I'm ready for some cooler weather.
If we get freezes we cover all we can and just pray they make it through.

Going to N. Fl. to see my dgt. tomorrow and she has planned to take me to the Fall Garden Expo. at Leon Cty. Extension Gardens. She knows what makes me happy.
She works in Talla. so doesn't really want to drive there but she is trying to amuse me which I appreciate.

Have a good weekend all.

Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2013
6:54 PM

Post #9720974

Here it is Dec.3 and Hawaii sunset vine is blooming again.

BTW the broken off piece has rooted and has a couple of buds on it.

We are having such beautiful weather lots of plants are blooming. Crazy weather for sure.

Bonnie

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 9, 2013
5:30 AM

Post #9724402

That's nice Bonnie, I do have to admit I'm enjoying this warm winter and the abundance of blooms the garden it giving.
The flowering maple you gave me has been giving beautiful blooms.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 10, 2013
7:37 PM

Post #9725820

Yes we are getting lots of stuff blooming. Glad that maple did well for you.
Hawaii sunset vine is blooming more today. Also the one I started.
I won't say too much cause next week we could be cold but its nice while it lasts.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 10, 2013
8:20 PM

Post #9725842

Bonnie

Beautiful. So when is the next round up and is it always at your place? If it is at your place then I know I'll most likely be able to attend, provided it is on the weekend. (just in case I do find a job)

thanks

Jan

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 11, 2013
8:59 AM

Post #9726064

I think this mild winter is fooling the plants, because everything seems like it is growing crazy right now! We have some cold fronts coming through and should get some cooler temps over the next few weeks. Granted, I love the warm temps, but would like some cold for my winter crops.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 11, 2013
9:10 AM

Post #9726076

Hopefully it just gradually cools off and doesn't shock all the plants...a bit of rain would be nice also. I have such a head cold and would love some soup, so a bit cooler would be nicer for me. Head colds and heat waves don't do well together.

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 11, 2013
10:08 AM

Post #9726108

The weathermen are saying there is a good chance of rain this Sunday and I am hoping they are right.

Sorry to hear you are fighting a cold Sherri! Hope you feel better soon. I made a homemade vegetable soups this past weekend and if you were closer, I would have come over and brought you some.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 11, 2013
1:38 PM

Post #9726226

Shauna

You didn't get the rain last night? My tomatoes, well whats left of my tomatoes, really liked it. We had a wonderful shower, I didn't know it was raining and just happened to go out to plug in the lights only to find it raining which then I had to run over to the backyard gate and get Gracie out. Thank goodness it wasn't raining hard as a wet collie isn't a happy collie. As it was just wouldn't lay down by me for about an hour until she finally decided to grace me with her presents...LOL

Jan

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 11, 2013
1:42 PM

Post #9726243

Ho Jan,

All the rain fell apart before it hit Hillsborough county last night and I didn't get a drop. My rain barrels are empty!

Shauna

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 12, 2013
6:26 AM

Post #9726686

No rain here last night. :-(
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 13, 2013
3:50 AM

Post #9727221

Heat wave over here ended yesterday. Now it seems really COLD (48 this AM).
My Mexican flame vine is blooming like crazy. I was told it liked hot weather & would bloom all summer. Guess I got the cold weather variety!!!!
Hibiscus are also blooming & full of buds. Temps are not to get below mid-40s so everyone should be fine for the near term.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 13, 2013
7:43 AM

Post #9727317

Yep it was rather cold to me /cool to DH last night... but this morning just beautiful. I love living in my birth state...

Jan

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 13, 2013
8:18 AM

Post #9727326

My Mexican flame vine has always had peak blooming from fall through spring, in fact it hardly has any flowers in the summer. The past two years it didn't freeze back like it does most winters, and was taking over, so I chopped it way back at the end of spring when the flowers were all going to seed.

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 18, 2013
5:29 AM

Post #9730090

I've got a measley 2 blooms on my Stictocardia right now - last year it was covered.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2013
4:00 PM

Post #9737095

My Stricto is covered with buds and is blooming. The other one that I started is blooming also.
I had better get on the stick and cut some off and start rooting more so I can share.

I'm being very careful about checking night time temps. Sure don't want to loose it.

Buttoneer, I didn't forget you want one. I just need to start a bunch.

Bonnie
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 30, 2013
5:40 PM

Post #9737132

Bonnie, what is your 'starting' method?
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2013
5:03 PM

Post #9737734

Cut a section off main plant, peel a little bark back, some root tone on end and stick down in pot where other ones rooted. I figure they must have liked that soil so I'll stick to it. Went out today and discovered 2 rooted plants in same pot. It is small but has buds on it. For once I must have done something the plant liked. I am going to try and start some more. First one I did what Wren suggested and put rock over it while still attached to main plant. Called air layering I think and it took right off. No month long wait. Second one I just poked into ground and it took off and is now vining. One I found today is about 3 feet long and budding. I'm so happy. Doesn't take much to make me happy as you can tell.
Does anyone have any nematanthus Tropicana (goldfish plant)? Saw 1 in picture and was fascinated.
We are supposed to be getting rain all day tomorrow. We can use it. I shut irrigation down if we get a good rain. Got one a couple of nights ago and it really helps.

Happy New Year All.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 31, 2013
5:54 PM

Post #9737766

Bonnie, I have a man-made bog, where I stick my cuttings. They root just fine and are left in the bog year around. When the temp. drops below 45 degrees, I toss a heavy blanket over the bog, so the Sticto. babies don't get too cold and die.

I had a huge goldfish plant/vine, but the greenhouse got too cold a couple of years ago and it died. I haven't seen one since. Happy New Year to everyone!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2014
11:35 AM

Post #9739436

Sounds like a great place to root stuff. Tonight I'll bring them close to front door and put landscape blanket over them just in case.

That's wonderful that you have a greenhouse. I'm sure it comes in handy. I seem to be attracted to weird plants. I've always liked things that are different. I found 4 sources to order from but they were pretty pricey. I'll just keep my eyes open and possibly come across one at a local nursery or someone on Craigs list.

Today I got a Craftsman gas blower and vacuum from Craigs list and I started it right up. I bought a battery powered blower and trimmer and neither one are worth a flip. Don't last long enough to do anything with so am glad to get this. Got to clean out my garden shed as tools are piling up and I like to keep it as neat as possible. I also have to store Christmas lights in there and they take up a lot of room. Really need to start taking them down also. Chores never seem to end. Wouldn't want to be bored. That will never happen around this place.

Happy New Year everyone.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2014
6:44 PM

Post #9766038

I'm happy to announce the Hawaii sunset vine made it through the cold snaps in Charlie's shed and has come out blooming and 2 others have rooted. Woohoo.

It deserves a new large pot that is much lighter than what I have it in as its backbreaking to haul it up into Gator and then back out.

Finally I am growing some tropical right. I'd better be quiet just in case it croaks. But while it lasts its beautiful.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 10, 2014
4:03 AM

Post #9766153

I'm afraid my Stictocardia froze - no sign of green under the outer layer.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 23, 2014
10:11 AM

Post #9796080

I'm going to brag a bit--just pruned the H. Sunset vine and stuck 4 pieces around it in it's new large pot. In 2 weeks they have nodes on them. Looks like even a bud on one. Boy am I happy camper I mean gardner. The 2 larger ones drooped for a couple days when I repoted them and then picked up after I faithfully watered them.

No rooting hormone just plain old cow poop in the pot mixed w/peat moss with foam pellets to take up some room.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 23, 2014
5:17 PM

Post #9796350

Good for you, Bonnie!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 24, 2014
5:20 AM

Post #9796658

That's great, Bonnie, such a beautiful vine, I still admire the photos I took of yours last year. Cow poop is a good thing.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2014
8:28 PM

Post #9815329

You had so much to see I wish I had made a list of all the ones I wanted to see before we came out. Next time I will...LOL

Jan
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2014
5:04 PM

Post #9817343

Jan,
Come by anytime as I'm usually always home. Been changes already since you were here. Charlie and my Kubota pulled out that Fl. orchid tree as it was really in my way plus stopping sunlight from getting to southern magnolia in the center which I'd like to see bloom before I croak. Also gave me room to plant some of the smaller plants from RU. I still have about 20 pots of plants to find homes for. If I already had some I just planted new ones next to old ones. I'm really hopping that gold finger plant grows. That's different.

We have been promised rain for several days. I'm still waiting but tomorrow I'm going to turn the irrigation on that usually makes it rain. Then I run out and shut it off.

Hope everyone had a Happy Easter.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 22, 2014
3:53 PM

Post #9819090

LOL, Bonnie! My sprinkler system, when turned on, causes rain, too!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2014
5:02 PM

Post #9819972

This time it fooled me. It didn't rain so irrigated thoroughly.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 24, 2014
11:34 AM

Post #9820495

Yep - Sticto is DEAD! Bummer, for sure!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2014
5:17 PM

Post #9820730

Kay I will try and root some more and sent you one if you'd like??
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 25, 2014
4:20 AM

Post #9820992

Bonnie, I'd be happy to trade with you for a rooted cutting - thanks so much for your effort. Please dmail me for trade details.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 25, 2014
4:54 AM

Post #9821002

No trade necessary. Just hope I can root some more.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Florida Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Florida Gardening Magazine - does anyone here subscribe? JaxFlaGardener 58 Apr 16, 2013 7:48 PM
Native Plant (wanted) Botanyguy 16 Jun 6, 2008 6:20 PM
Duranta budgielover 26 Jul 21, 2008 10:36 PM
Jeremy's Mystery sugarweed 11 Jun 12, 2011 9:23 PM
Do Tall Bearded Iris grow in Florida? JaxFlaGardener 67 Jun 20, 2008 6:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America