Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Trash to Treasure: Old lampshades?

Communities > Forums > Trash to Treasure
bookmark
Forum: Trash to TreasureReplies: 17, Views: 275
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 4, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9350014

I have several old, sturdy, but yellowed lampshades. They are way too big for any lamps I now use. Some straight cylinder shaped, one sharp-pleated and larger at the bottom,, one a cylinder with pleated silky fabric but the lining dry rotted out. Are there ways to use the frames or something?
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 5, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #9350799

Turn them into trellises for your vining plants.

Take the fabric off, turn them upside down, attach some chains, add some crystals and make a chandaleer.

ecnalg

ecnalg
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 7, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9352107

The frames might be useful for hanging dried flowers or for a mix of Christmas cards and ornaments. You might even wrap the frame in ribbon.

Thumbnail by ecnalg
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 7, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9352418

Pretty picture, ecnalg!
helenchild
Decatur, GA

December 12, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9356363

I have several old lampshades myself. I have been wondering about refurbishing them, not necessarily repurposing them. Anyone try painting them? Dying the yellowed fabric of the shade? Bleaching them white or lighter?
Helen
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 13, 2012
8:07 PM

Post #9357740

I had an old fabric lampshade with a waterstain. It was summer, so I sprayed it off outside with the gardenhose with a brass nozzle set to a fairly gentle spray. I let it dry, but the waterstain was still visible. I made a paste of powdered cleanser (Ajax, Comet or Bon Ami type) and scrubbed the brown edges of the stain with an old toothbrush. It worked to fade the stain, but unfortunately the fabric of the shade was glued to some sort of "paper" on the inside. The old glue between the fabric and paper kind of came back to life, causing ugly stains and puckering of the shade overall. In other words, don't try this at home! Fortunately, the shade was one I had snapped up for free at a yard sale. Unfortunately, it is still out in the garage.

I hope you will get better advice.
Cicca
Herndon, VA
(Zone 6b)

December 15, 2012
9:56 PM

Post #9359553

I'm working on a shade now that I tore the fabric off of and am now hand lacing. When it gets done I'll have to post pics. :)
helenchild
Decatur, GA

December 16, 2012
4:39 AM

Post #9359607

I was wondering about spray paint? Anyone try that?
Cicca
Herndon, VA
(Zone 6b)

December 16, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #9359949

I'd think that unless you were really careful that spray paint would not end up looking all that hot.
it tends to run and you would end up with some ugly shades, however you could try spraying the paint into the lid of the can or into a bowl or something and using a fine brush to actually paint designs onto the shade I have done that and it ended up looking awesome.
Cicca
Herndon, VA
(Zone 6b)

December 16, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9360177

Oh u asked about dying them, yes it can be done.
You need:
Gloves.
Old clean rags.
Newspaper.
Bucket.
Dye packets (wet not powder)

To do:
Don gloves.
Empty dye pks into bucket
Place shade on paper
Dip rag into dye and gently rub with even strokes over shade
Wipe away excess with clean rag allow to dry fully.

Test this with a small area first some matterials hold color better than others.
We had a black lamp with an ugly white shade, I used spray paint as I posted earlier and then used gold model car paint and a pretty stencil to finish it off. I wish I had pics of it the lamp is now part of my little sisters dorm room, I'll see if she can remember to snap a pic of it.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 16, 2012
8:15 PM

Post #9360305

Thanks for that Cicca.
I could practice the dye on some, then tear up the mistakes for some other ideas here, then do for real dye on some to use.
helenchild
Decatur, GA

December 17, 2012
5:22 AM

Post #9360411

Thanks Cicca. Those are some good ideas! I think fabric dye makes a lot more sense than spray paint.
Cicca
Herndon, VA
(Zone 6b)

December 23, 2012
1:19 AM

Post #9365209

I'm full of useless information. lol Glad you found it helpful!
Post pics and let us know how it works out for you. PLEASE!!!!!!!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

December 24, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9365990

Paint 'em with Kilz , then paint with whatever you want . Works on paper or fabric .
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2013
3:54 PM

Post #9381346

Sally - I burned the fabric off a tall, large lamp shade and now it's invisible (except for winter) to hold up the Baptisia that loves to spread out way too much. I used long earth staples to secure it.

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gemfire55
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 10, 2013
5:28 PM

Post #9381452

take the fabric off and put clear plastic on, use on small plants in the winter during a frost.

Pam
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

January 11, 2013
6:05 AM

Post #9381831

Except for a small hoop house with frost cloth over it , I just keep 5 gal.buckets to turn over my very few small plants . I have some lattice against the foundation and a rake, some stakes , and an old quilt from the thrift store , cut in four sections and hemmed make great covers for my plants. I stick one end of rake and stakes in the lattice and the other end comes out and props on a wagon . drape the quilt over the stakes and rake .If I had some tomato cages , they would work like the lamp shades .
Hope this makes sense .

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2013
1:48 PM

Post #9382217

pirl's idea might be my best use for the ones that are really just too big for my current lamps anyway.
Thanks everybody for the ideas and hints.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
here's my little treasure wheel Gourd 67 Jul 14, 2013 12:59 PM
Thank you Terry for this forum! Tradewind_64 26 Apr 17, 2010 4:52 AM
My second plant stand Vee8ch 30 Oct 18, 2007 12:48 AM
A Filigris Arbor Made from Trash ButterflyChaser 58 Sep 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America