-
AuthorContent
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

December 4, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9350035

I am in a Holiday group show now which opened last Friday and runs for 3 week ends. It has gone reasonably well so far. The best part is that I can unload any of my way too many seconds in the special sale area. We had a mob waiting at the door for the seconds sale to open at noon the past Sunday. People were actually fighting over some pots which was pretty funny. Of course I took out some work that were favorites from other potters who had things in the second area while we were setting it up as did the other potters. So we actually got some of the best work before the actual sale opened. Greedy us. Our studio only has space for 23 people to be in the show, but I went to a really fabulous studio yesterday called Mudflats, also in the Boston area, which has a huge show going on with at least a 100 potters. Rumor has it that they sold $19, 000.00 on their opening night alone. That is a lot of clay! We sold a much more modest amount. Here is a link to some of my work and some shots below of some of our little booths in what is normally a room full of wheels. Patti

[HYPERLINK@picasaweb.google.com]

Thumbnail by bbrookrd   Thumbnail by bbrookrd   Thumbnail by bbrookrd   Thumbnail by bbrookrd   Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Click an image for an enlarged view.

ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2012
4:26 AM

Post #9350225

Very nice. I see a lot of the same colors so think you may have dipped rather than brushed on the glaze. That's my favorite way to glaze unfortunately I'm obsessed with color so I keep buying pints of brush on glaze; I think I have nearly 50 colors to choose from now but very few dipping glazes. Oh well, maybe some day :-)
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2012
7:22 AM

Post #9350343

Yes, I dip most of my glazes, though I do use some painted on under glazes and I do at times use a brush or my fingers or squeeze bottle. At the studio where I am currently a member, we have about 40 choices of studio glazes that are stored in 5 gallon buckets. I am one of the glaze makers, so I make up batches that are between 8 to 10 thousand grams at a time. We have a special room full of Raw Materials and Ceramic Chemicals, as well as scales, augurs, and sieves etc. to use. We can dip anything that isn't too large directly in those buckets or for larger pieces we can pour the amount needed into a wider container and then dip the piece. We can also spray, pour, or paint as we so desire on our work. I also have bought some small jars of commercial cone 6 glazes, but haven't used many of them yet. I have done a few things with slip too.

I am thinking about moving to another studio which has a cone 10 gas reduction kiln. That would be an interesting change from the cone 6 electric ones that I use now. I fire my own work at the current studio, so being at a studio where they do the firing will be quite different though they will let you help load. I would miss some of my pottery pals, but the logistics for me would be much better at the new studio and I wouldn't have to make glaze anymore as they have a paid person to do that for the studio glazes. Patti

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

December 5, 2012
11:44 AM

Post #9350549

Interesting work---I do love blue. Handwash?

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 5, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9350846

Patti, nice pieces. I know about Mudflats. all amazing.
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9350948

irisMA, what is Handwash?

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

December 5, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9350962

How you wash the pottery after it is in your house. In other words, not dishwasher safe?
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2012
9:23 PM

Post #9351013

IrisMA, Oh, I use food safe glazes on all utilitarian pottery. They can all go in the dishwasher, oven or microwave. So these pottery items are treated like any commercially bought pottery. I have used only one non food safe glaze for a few sculptural pieces. I also used it on some back-splash tiles for behind the stove and a pendant light that I made that is hung above the sink in our recently renovated kitchen in Vt. I will be using different clay bodies if I switch to the other studio with the gas kiln. Always fun to change and try new things, but those will be all dishwasher safe too. Patti

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

December 6, 2012
2:50 AM

Post #9351078

I just wondered. Thanks for that type of information.
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

December 10, 2012
9:04 PM

Post #9355221

Looks like a beautiful display and a lot of lovely pieces----impressive body of work overall!
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

December 11, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #9355426

Thanks, the show is open for just 3 more days on Friday, Sat & Sun and so far I am pleased. Not getting rich but it is nice to have strangers buy your work. The overall show numbers so far are up a bit from last year over the same period, so I hope next week end is busy too.

I have unloaded many seconds which is a joy. Any of those that don't sell at this show that I really hate will go into a donation box at the studio where we collect the unwanted pieces for a local charity center for their thrift shop. A potter friend was a dinner party recently and found one her bowls on the table that she knew she had put in the donation box. The host had no idea that the bowl she had bought in another part of Boston was thrown by her friend. She was pleased and embarrassed as it was not a very well thrown pot, but the lady loved the glaze. And the money went to a a good cause. Patti
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

December 13, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9357617

I only keep about 1/3 of my greenware. I pick through my pieces before I bisque them and only keep the ones I really like that are technically good. I've had too many opportunities to run into my own older work at friends' houses and wished I had a hammer with me...LOL!

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9365505

Beautiful work, Patti. I hope you made some good money. I miss doing ceramics.

Karen
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2013
5:04 PM

Post #9598959

I really envy you your hobby/work. Looks like you have so much fun and joy. I used to do ceramics too. Partner in a shop. Loved the pouring of the greenware and working with the slip. Firing etc. Really miss the hobby. Yours are gorgeous.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Pottery, Clay and Ceramics Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Kiln fired clay questions... WUVIE 144 Sep 1, 2009 3:13 PM
Claylovers' Topics: Bios / Work / Glazes / Firings, etc! #2 zenpotter 66 Jan 8, 2009 7:22 PM
Pottery,clay jcoats123 25 Jan 11, 2009 3:01 AM
Pottery,clay,ceramics,kilns, firing, sculpture, etc. jcoats123 192 Sep 10, 2009 7:52 PM
completed one pot jcoats123 6 Jun 23, 2013 9:02 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America