Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: SCHOOL, A New Adventure

Communities > Forums > Mid-Atlantic Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-Atlantic GardeningReplies: 291, Views: 1,404
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 5, 2012
3:00 AM

Post #9350203

Howdy! So, I've mentioned elsewhere that it's been made clearly known to me that I'm to go back to school. **Gulp!** I already know that I'll at least start out in Environmental Studies, aiming eventually toward agriculture. I guess I'll just sorta chronicle my adventures with you all here; share my excitement and joys, tears of frustration... ask for help with math, heeheeheee. Interestingly enough I got some confirmation in the mail yesterday... in the form of a book from my school of choice, cataloging all their course options. WOW, talk about confirmation!!

My next day off is tomorrow and I've got nothing scheduled, no window/door contractors etc., so I'll be dry-calling my way up to the school tomorrow into an advisor's office to look like a big ol' Pollack asking "Hi, I wanna attend here, what do I do now!?" < =D THAT won't be too awkward!! LOL! Wish me luck, please?!

< =D
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 5, 2012
4:59 AM

Post #9350239

GOOD LUCK!!!!
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #9350349

Speedie: You've made an exciting decision: I can't wait for the chronicles!
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2012
2:01 PM

Post #9350674

Good luck. That is very exciting!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 5, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9350719

Thank you guys. Yeah it's exciting, another new chapter. Wheee! =)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2012
8:15 PM

Post #9350981

Speedie---

This will be LONG--but i want to share with you the same struggles and trepidations you are now going through.

By the mid-80's, my girls were grown--my husband was in a pretty high-up position as the
Chief of the Design Branch of the US Army Corps of Engineers---and there I was...
working with plants in some greenhouse and getting paid nothing to brag about.

I always felt a bit "unaccomplished" in the education area--as my two sisters are both degree'd ladies.
My older sister is a Masters Degree Librarian--and my younger sister has always been a very respected Nurse.
Both are now retired--maybe doing some spotty fill ins--as we are all in our mid 70's.

I had, for years, thought about going to college, but as the registration times arrived--I always chickened out.
Just had NO guts to take this leap--mainly because I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life.
One MUST have some kind of a goal to start college courses--right? That costs a lot of money!!!
And--so it went for several years. It bugged me to no end at how indecisive i was.

SO! Sometime in the--mid--80's, I took a deep breath and went to my closest Community College (Essex)
and started the enrollment process. I had NO idea what I really wanted to do--and in what field.
My main interests were Gardening (no such a curriculum)--Psychology to some level--
and anything to do with medicine (they have a great Nursing program). But--I was too old to start this by now.

So--I enrolled--with NO Program in mind--and the first class I took was called "Career Life Planing".
This course was a bunch of interest assessments, a lot of aptitude tests--like writing and math
and spacial perceptions and such. Lots of tests and scoring. It was aimed at narrowing down
where your interests and abilities lay and for what jobs I would best be suited for.

After this exhaustive class--what came out of all this testing was that I would be most suited as a
Librarian (I do not read books)--or in sales. More logical.
Both of these positions emphasized "Organization" and attention to detail. Yes--I do personify that. I know!

But--neither of these appealed to me--so I enrolled in the "Mental Health/Human Services" program.
This would, surely, combine my interest in Psychology and Medicinal things. Human dynamics---YES!

Because I had taken a bunch of courses in the late 50's, when I was working in a Pharmaceutical
Research Lab--cutting up mice and Guinea Pigs daily--as they paid for any relevant courses I took.
So--I took every class I could that ended in "ology" in the Evening programs at the (then called) McCoy College
--which was then part of what is now the Johns Hopkins University on 33rd Street.
And so--I had acquired about 28 credits from all this--which Essex CC accepted.
This shortened my attendance time there to 3 years.

And thus--in 1990 I graduated with an AA in "Mental Health and Human Services" with a 3.8 GPA.

These were the MOST stimulating, fulfilling years of my life. I felt so rejuvenated!!!! Learning and studying
and interacting with younger people was just great...I was one of many Senior-aged students there.
It was hard--but it was so rewarding. Mostly--because I am not a swift reader--and as many of you know--college
courses take a lot of reading...BUT--I had a disciplined mind and was tested (in the 1st class) with an
amazing level (80%) in Math and numerical perception. But--then I am also artistic--and these often
go hand-in-hand. Haaa...I can still look at a peg and a hole and know that it will fit in there...:o)

Spent the year after graduating trying to find a job, roughly, in this area--to NO avail.
With an AA, all I may have been qualified was to work in addictions, and these lower level jobs with wayward people.

SO! That was a negative awakening. I reverted to my first love and got a job with a Florist/greenhouse business.
That led to more jobs in this area--and I am still working in that field --more or less--at HD.
This is a total of over 25 years now I have been working in the Plants and gardening field.
And--have accumulated an amazing knowledge field in this area.

However--I still wanted to use my new College-earned degree in some way--and I signed up as a Volunteer
Facilitator with the (then) "Parents Anonymous Organization" Its aim was to abolish child abuse.
This is now called "Family Tree". I no longer know what their goals are--might be the same--in a more
political way...Things change...

Every Wednesday evening--for 12 years--I went to a location where our meetings were held and attended to
the needs of whomever showed up. I always had a Co-Facilitator --I think there were 4 of them--but I stayed the whole time.

They came and went. One of them ended up hanging himself in his basement... Seems dysfunctional people
seek out other dysfunctional people to try to help--as they have "been there"... but still cannot deal with their own lives.
The last one I had was, herself, a seriously abused woman by her Mom--and she contributed immensely to this Group.
She is still a dear friend of mine...we get together now and then.

This endeavor ended when the Organization, basically, abandoned all the volunteers with no further support
and closed many of the locations the meetings were held in. There used to be about 50--all around
Baltimore City and County.The one we were holding our meetings in also got closed.
Sandy Plains Elementary School.
More greedy politics...More bowing to the fund-raisers--No more attentiomn paid to the volunteers
that made the organization what it was known for. And so--this phase of my life ended.

BUT--I can tell you this...I learned more from the people attending these sessions than I ever did in college.
Weekly--we dealt with suicidal people--Sexual abused women and children--people cutting on themselves
to try to cope with the abuse in their lives and to turn their thinking around to teach them to see that
the abuser is the weaker of the two. There is just SO MUCH dynamics in this field that
most people do not know about--or understand. It was a true revelation to me have gone through all this.

We wept with the mothers whose children had been abused--and the one whose 11 year old, sexually abused
child was hit by a car and died. We went to her funeral to support the Mom---and as devastated as she was over all this--
she had gotten a new hair-do and make up to look nice at this Memorial Service...HUH???
I always found that to be a bit weird. BUT--that was their way of life...incomprehensible to the rest of us.
I could write a book on these years---and, maybe, I just have. I think I will print this out...

I apologize for digressing to this level---as it all started with me sharing my late-in-life going to college
to gain some respect of myself--to have gotten a degree in something...
Besides--I beat my youngest daughter's graduation from college by one year...

The saddest part of all this was--that my husband decided to leave me soon after her graduation--I asked "WHY"!!!!!!
and he told me---because "I have fulfilled all my obligations"...(as in--seeing my daughter graduate from college)...
As if I was, in no way, an obligation to him.

That was in 1991. He divorced me in 1993 to be with another woman.
The rest is now history...

Thank you for reading all this. You all are my "family" now and I feel comfortable sharing all this with you.
No sympathy needed--I am a stronger person having done all this. I AM a survivor!

Gita
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 5, 2012
8:44 PM

Post #9351002

Have fun tomorrow Susan.

Can't help but note that just like your house has new windows and doors, so does your life! God bless your comings and goings.

And, a reminder that
the journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 6, 2012
3:41 AM

Post #9351085

My God My God, do you guys have even the slightest idea of the Blessing you are? I mean, REALLY?? Really really!?!?!?
I read your (Gita and Judy) last 2 posts here and burst out crying. No, not all weepy "feel sorry for poor Gita" tears, but tears of thanks and joy to know you beautiful Ladies. Just to know you. That's enough, isn't it? Yes, it is. WOW, it's overwhelming, the beauty of you guys...

After I write this I'm gonna head into the shower and then out the door to school. (I've got my clothes all set out, including my Big Girl Britches). ;)

Judy, I'm ready for that First Step. I can actually SEE you standing beside me, taking this first step with me, and I don't feel alone, I feel all warm and supported. =') I'll carry you in my heart with me to that school and I'll be just fine as frog hair.

Gita, ya know what I think? I think God already knew what was coming (of course He did!), and he was preparing you for it, that's what I think. "Because I have fullfilled all my obligations" was just the lame excuse your ex used, but The Lord knew it was coming anyway, and He got you ready for that next phase of your life. He was sittin' up there in Heaven thinking "Ya know, that cretin is gonna do my Angel wrong, I'd better help her get ready..." He's always got our backs, always.

But I digress just a tad. I do so know the feeling of self-worth of which you speak. I went through that down-turn before I started working where I work now, and my own DH recognized it, probably before I did, and he was my MAJOR cheerleader in doing something about it... as he is now to go back to school. He sees into me sometimes way better than I see myself, and he's told me a grazillion times already that he's behind me and supports me a million percent in my going back to school... heck, he's even already pulled out HIS old math books from when he was in school, to help me along. (have I mentioned, math is NOT my forté?) He recognizes that need for self-worth, encourages me to recognize my inteligence (which I tend not to), reminds me that, whatever it is, "YES I CAN!!", and... he's just the BEST all-around cheerleader. I voiced my concerns about the finances ... his response: "When YOU need something, have you ever known me to NOT be able to figure it out?" The answer is a flat out clear NO. Simple as that; he ALWAYS finds a way. I'm so blessed I can't express it enough. My only job now is to shuck my buns and GIT 'ER DONE!! < =D

And with that, I hear a shower calling me!! Have a fantastically BLESSED morning y'all, updates foth-coming (forthcoming?) when I get back! =)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 6, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9351155

Susan--
Thank you for your comments. You are such a sweetie!

What will you be taking in school? Are you going to a college? A trade school of some sort?
Do you have an end-goal in mind or are you just taking random courses to broaden your mind?
I think they call that "self-fulfillment" What will be your first class you are taking?

Re the math--it is hard if you have never had it in school--like algebra. I never had it and still had to
pass these tests. Relied a lot on my earlier schooling and plain old memory...

You know what classes i would still like to take?
I want to learn how to use tools correctly. Basic carpentry skills.
I have advice available at the HD just for asking--but no hands-on.
I have assorted tools that just sit--plus a lot of stuff my Ex left here.

He was the most talented handyman there ever existed. He could build anything.
The whole club room, walls, entertainment center, bathroom, etc...The roofed over patio
outside that is now "my world". All done with perfection and care. A true engineer...
He has built intricate things for my/his daughter. She collects dragons which now sit is a glass-walled
etagierre (sp) made by Dad. Lately, a velvet lined jewelery box. A lg. chest--immaculately finished, etc...
I miss that about him not being here.

I am not an experimenter--so I shy away from trying to fix and do what needs to be done
because it may not turn out "perfect"...:o)
Finding people that do favors is next to impossible. Even if I offer to pay some money.
No one has time...

Judy---I am a fine example of "inertia"...and I know it. Gita
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 6, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9351217

Gita, my dear - re: fixing things - I lost my husband, too - he died of Pancreatic cancer 5 1/2 years ago. This man could do anything, and did - I didn't learn to do anything until after he died. I just 'did' it, sometimes really messing things up, but I had a hammer, a nail, screw drivers, duct tape, pliers and baling wire. If I can't fix the problem with one of these tools, I hire it done, but for the most part, it turnes out o.k.

U-Tube is a wonderful resource for me - I have learned how to do a lot of jobs by watching it. If I can't figure out what I need to do, I go to Home Depot, tell Larry what my problem is and he helps me find the right tools and shows me what to do. Being single sucks, but I have adapted. I'd still like to find a cute handy man, though!! LOL

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 6, 2012
12:17 PM

Post #9351410

Thank GOD I'm married to a cute handy man, and by golly he MAKES me work with him so I can learn to use the tools just as well as he can... and I try not to grumble too much. ;) Gita, if you ever need an old toilet removed and a new one installed, I'M YOUR MAN!! =) I can install a bathroom sink/vanity, I can hang an indoor door WITH hardware... from a plain slab, mind you. ;) (yeah, one year he bought me a set of planers and a handful of slab doors and said "Go to town, don't stop 'til it's just right!" HAAA! .. OK, technically he's an electrician, but he's one of those really smart guys who can do anything.

Oh yeah, I went to the school today!! =) Anti-climactic, really. Walked into the admissions building, went up to the "help" desk, said to the kid "Hiya, whom would I speak with about becoming a student here, please?". He raised his eyebrows at me and asked 'A brand new student?', incredulously. heeheeheee. I said "Yup!" OK, I've got an appointment with the asst. director of admissions on the 19th. I've also applied online, so that much is done too. Pheewww!!

Oh .. so, I'm interested in Environmental Studies, to eventually focus on agriculture. For now I'm starting out at a local community college. I'll take that as absolutely far as I can go there, then transfer after that, as necessary. I really want to focus on agriculture though, it's just really tugging at my heartstrings. And soils. I think I need some loonnngggg conversations with Tapla. ;)
As for math... From about 5th grade onward I never had any good math teachers, so I fell off the radar there. They all always seemed to be too busy being cute or snotty or flirty with the girls (that was in high school, that one algebra teacher, he was a young guy and could NOT find the time to help someone in need, too busy flirting, UGH)... so I just fell apart. I dunno where my son gets his math skills from, it sure wasn't me! He's waayyy beyond calculus and quantum whats-it and all that sort of stuff; I'm sure I'll have to have some study dates with him. =)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 6, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9351498

Susan--you HAVE TO read this Thread!!! It is called "Poetry on the Pile" and was started by Steve
(aka "soferdig") in 2006. It is under the "Soil and Composting" Forum.
I have, once again, tried to resurrect it. Check in the MA. And--every time i do--I have to write a new "ditty".
It is a hoot! and--it is all about compost and poo and the slimy things that devour it...and how grateful we all are to have it.

You could think of this as "Lighthearted Agriculture"...

Take your time--there is a lot of fun poetry and "ditties", as i call them--and make them, on there.
It will give you chuckles when you need it...some insight as well. Some of the poems are more serious.
Besides--I am all over the place in there too--more so in Part #2.
Enjoy!!!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/664716/?hl=Poetry

Susan--could you post a picture of your "cute Handyman"?? We would like to see him...

Gita
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

December 6, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9351758

Speedie, I am just sooo excited for you and your new endeavor! Will be anxiously awaiting word of all the goings on. I soooo hear you about math. As soon as my cute handyman, teacher of Calc and physics starts talking about his classes I am positive my eyes glaze over and my ears close up, cuz I have nooooo clue what he is talking about. He does the same when I talk life science. Heehee. Must be true, opposites attract.

Methinks that your classmates will have to work hard to keep up with you.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 7, 2012
2:49 AM

Post #9351957

Gita; thank you for directing me to that LOVELY poetry thread! Oh what fun!!! It's saved on my favourites list now, wheeee!!! Not sure how "fun" it'll be to read once I start posting ditties about the SCIENCE of soils though.. heh heh. As for a pic of DH.. I will respectfully decline in respect of his privacy in a "public" forum.

Jan, thank you!! =) Heeheeheee, next time you're trying to learn something from your Cutie, try putting blinders on! LOL!! I try not to look at my DH too much when he's explaining something to me 'cause I start thinking dumb stuff like "Gosh you've got such a nice face, I just wanna touch it!" Haahahahahaaaaa!! (I bet that's what your Cutie is thinking about you when you're talking about life science stuff,... among other things). ;)
I dunno about my classmates having a hard time keeping up, there's gonna be some serious science stuff there that I'm gonna be soooooo lost in!!! < =/ Well, eventually, anyway.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 7, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9352083

On the contrary----

Whenever I wanted to "implement" my love and knowledge from the psychological aspect any way--
like, maybe, explaining why someone does something...all I ever heard from my family was:

"There she goes again!"... Quite belittling...
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

December 7, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9352670

I busted up laughing, speedie!! Thank you for the merriment heehee. Oh, I am positive you will nail things. Why? Because you are sooooooooo motivated. You know I will never look at DH the same way again.

Sometimes, Gita, family is our worst critic.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 8, 2012
3:03 AM

Post #9352783

I get that look from DH sometimes... but in a bemused sort of way, not in a "Oh Dear Lord help me, I don't want to hear this!!" sort of way. He looks like he's thinking "she's so cute, lookit the stuff she knows!". Haahahahaaa. Then he gently breaks in and says, "Dear... Dear... oh yooo-hooooo, Deeeaarrrrr!! You realize of course I have no CLUE what you're talking about, right?" Sometimes he's gotta say "Hey, please don't yell at me, I'll cry!", 'cause when I get overly-excited about something I tend to raise my voice. ;) (eg: "DUDE!!! Do you have ANY idea how beneficial that moth is to our little environment here!?!? Don't squash it!! Give it here, let me put it back outside on the Verbena. See...") ... Sometimes I swear, I could baste a ham with the glaze dripping off his eyes. < =D

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 8, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9352893

speedie---

You are too funny! "Basting a ham with the glaze dripping off his eyes"????

That is so weirdly poetic. Get thee to that "Poetry on the Pile" and make this line fit into
the "pile" topic in some fashion.

Will be looking for it...shovel in hand...:o) G.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 8, 2012
8:35 AM

Post #9352966

((chuckling!!!))
Mark tries but I can tell when he's going into lala land. When I talk, he has a pattern. First pause is huh.., second pause is uh huh.. then I know I am running out of time!

It's a skill, known as being a fast listener. He is finished listening before I am finished talking.

(I did not make that up. From a cartoon!)

Privacy is totally cool. Many around this area have jobs that require it.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 8, 2012
10:30 PM

Post #9353402

Ahhhh y'all have me snorting!!! Got the 19th etched into my prayer 'remember to's'...for sure!! This is SO exciting!!! It's going to be a great start Suze...I'm SO proud of you!! Next time a young'un asks that questions ('a brand new student') - break out the 'here'sssssss Johnny' look from the Shining...nod yes and whisper...'be afraid...be very afraid' LOL

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 9, 2012
3:15 AM

Post #9353443

[quote="Chantell"]Next time a young'un asks that questions ('a brand new student') - break out the 'here'sssssss Johnny' look from the Shining...nod yes and whisper...'be afraid...be very afraid' LOL[/quote]

Aaaaaah, I wish I'd thought of that, I would have done it!!!!!!!!! Haahahahaaa!!!!!! I may even have said "Heeeere'sssss Suzie!!" < =D Thank you ever so kindly for the prayers, they are reeeallyyy appreciated!!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 17, 2012
3:21 AM

Post #9360361

Day after tomorrow is the big day!!!

Meanwhile though... my son has worked for our local Department of Public Works while also in school. He's worked at the local landfill, and also in their government building... and while at the office, one day this past Spring, someone decided that he has a great voice and asked him to do the voice-over work for a commercial for the Dept. of Public Works, regarding the proper disposal of hazardous waste, and the DPW's facilities for such disposal. I've got a you tube link to his commercial... would I be allowed to share/post it in here? It doesn't sell anything, just tells locals where they can go to properly dispose of their stuff, and describes a few things that are, and are NOT, considered "hazardous waste". (like Latex paint! I never knew that!)

I'm so proud of my little peanut, I'd love to share his work here!! =)
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

December 17, 2012
5:01 AM

Post #9360398

Well, personally, I think that would be just fine. I see links to all kinds of things on DG. Good for him!!!

Will be thinking about you tomorrow!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 17, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #9360458

I'll take your word for it, Jan... and if The Powers That Be decide it's not appropriate, then PLEASE remove it, or ask me to and I will obey gladly and willingly.

And now, for your listening pleasure... Heeeeeeeeere's Johnny!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bL5etyxYzw

(no, really, my son's name is John!) =)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2012
6:13 AM

Post #9360479

Ohhhhhh--
His voice is soooo soothing...dripping with honey...

He can read the phone book to me--any time...:o)
G.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 17, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9360485

Heeheeheee, I thought it sounded really good too... but, honestly, do you really think so? I'm thinking, with a little more experience, he might actually persue a real career at this! I can sorta hear his nervousness (knowing him as I do), which makes him want to sort of talk faster... he really had to work hard to slow it down. But for a first time, I think he sounds darned sexy (NOT what a Mom thinks she'll ever say about her son, I know, LOL!!), but more importantly, clear and professional, and friendly and inviting, and intelligent. (trying to take the "I'M THE MOM!" out of it here, really I am).
I'm really proud of my little Peanut! (can you tell?) =)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 17, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #9360796

your Peanut did done good! Loved it! THanks for sharing!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 17, 2012
2:14 PM

Post #9360859

Thankee Sai! =)
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

December 17, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9361101

He does have a pleasant voice to listen to. Voice career!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 18, 2012
1:22 AM

Post #9361178

Played it for DH when he got home from work last evening, and he said at first he thought it was an intro, was waiting for John's voice... then it dawned on him; THAT IS John's voice!!!! He was speechless, something that doesn't happen to DH often. =) Was fun to see his response, love to see him blown away like that. < =D
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 18, 2012
4:37 AM

Post #9361223

Speedie, Congrats, Such exciting news and a wonderful step into a new life experience. Go for it!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 20, 2012
2:12 AM

Post #9362787

Alrighty then, had the meeting with the Admissions Director today, and ooooh boy, I can see I'm REALLY gonna be in for a challenge!!!!! It all went well, I'm not lost as to the "Whats" to do, but the HOW I'm gonna get through it ... ACK!!
One part of the meeting included, not only going over getting my transcripts from nursing school sent to them, that's not a problem (even though it was 23 years ago), but she suggests that I ALSO take the "placement test" meanwhile. She directed me to a website that gives little samples of what the test looks like, so when I got home, the first thing I checked out was the maths portion. The beginning, the easy part, is the first section, and I had no 'troubles'.. it starts with basic pre-algebra. I had the WORST algebra teacher in high school (really, I had some awful math teachers across the board in school from Jr. High onward), so I never got any farther than Algebra I!!! And I never actually "got" those basics down!! The test then goes onto stuff like linear equations (hard for me to put numbers into "sentences" that make sense to my word-oriented mind), to polynomials... and don't even ASK what from there 'cause I just dunno.

I have a whoooole lotta ground to make up before I even TRY this placement test!!!!!!! Boy oh boy, time to buckle on the Big-Boy boots and get ready for a serious ride!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 20, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9362846

Suze---

Been there--done that when i enrolled...back about 23 years ago as well.
I never had Algebra in HS either--as I majored in art and had 10 classes of art a week.
Besides all that--I was also just learning to speak English. many handicaps!

Believe it or not--when it came time for the equations and multiplying and dividing, fractions and all that,
my brain went back to all the classes I took in math before I came to the USA. at age 14.
They take the three "R's" seriously on schools in Europe. The old "math rules" just came flooding back.

Could you find a math geek to tutor you a bit in the basics--like two negatives added make a positive?
I was amazed that I passed all these tests. I actually did better than many others...as my brain did not grow up
with a calculator in hand. I still, unconsciously, go back to metrics where everything deals in 10's.

I think the most confusing, and hardest, thing to me was these kind of math questions
ust making this up...OK?

If "A" = 15 and "B" equals 27---What is the value of "C"???? Those always threw me for a loop...

I wish you much success--I know you will be able to do this...math is ALL logic!
Gita
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 20, 2012
5:34 AM

Post #9362851

I agree with Gita. And if you don't want to pay for a math tutor, buy a second hand textbook -- one with answers in the back -- and work your way through it.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2012
2:53 AM

Post #9363596

Gita, and I, without the same educational growing-up background, hope I can do 1/10th as well as you did (without having had the base of "old rules" drilled into my head so thoroughly as you did, to "come back to me"). I did not grow up with calculator in hand either, however, nor did I grow up with a full range of teachers dedicated to getting those basics into my head as well as could have been. What's funny though is, after reviewing stuff with DH, I do know the key in "solving for C"... or "X" or "Y". The key is to 'get C (or X or Y) by itself, to isolate each from the rest of the numeric stuff on that SAME side as the = sign. The key in THAT part, when you have more than 1 variable or constant (C and X and Y), is to know what those numbers around it/them are doing. THAT can be tricky!!
... Now, having said that, it makes me look like I know something... don't be fooled! I'm at that dangerous "A LITTLE BIT of knowledge" phase.. emphasis on "Little Bit". ;) I'm pretty sure hiring a tutor would cost too much for us, we're praying hard about figuring out how we're gonna pay for school alone as it is. However...

Happy, you hit on a GREAT idea with the text books!! DH has still got his (maths) text book from when he was in school, so what he started doing yesterday when he got home from work is...
He went online, found a homeschooling website that provides and and allows for printing of, sheets of progressively difficults maths problems! He found pages of equations that coincide with what is provided in his text book, printed them out, and then hand-wrote at the top of each page "refer to page(s) --- & --- in text book", (in case I need help). He's got a FAT stack of printed out maths problems for me to do... "work sheets", if you will. I got home last night and had my first homework assignment waiting for me on my desk. < =)
It may be a good idea to also buy a book or 2 as well.

[quote] math is ALL logic! [/quote] That is true, and sooooooo hard for a non-logical person like me... which I think might be why English studies were always my forté in school. In 4th grade, I was at an 11th grade reading/comprehension level. English makes absolutely no sense much of the time, and I adore it; so darned many variables! ... OH! "Variables"! I think I can use that with my maths problems, HA!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9363695

English makes absolutely no sense much of the time, and I adore it; so darned many variables! ... OH! "Variables"! I think I can use that with my maths problems, HA![/quote]

Speedie---You are absolutely right. The English we speak here in America makes NO sense to someone
listening to it from another country.

WHY? because:
1--American English uses too many "idioms" as part of the language. Expressions--if you will.
These mean nothing on their own--it is what is implied by using them. There are thousands of these!
Ex: "Hang loose"---"don't sweat it"---"don't cut off your nose to spite your face"----"don't judge a book by its cover'--etc...
These, translated, mean nothing...it is what is implied by using them.
Yet we "toss them around" and freely "pepper our language" with them. I could "go bonkers" just thinking about it.
It makes our English colorful--but confusing to newcomers that are trying to learn the language.

2--English should be easy, compared to other languages. Grammar is almost non-existent.
Conjugation (Nominative, genitive, accusative, etc...) is expressed with prepositions.
"to"--"from"--"Of"--under, etc. In most European languages the noun is conjugated and has different endings to denote
these forms. Also--the endings change whether using the "familiar" or the "formal" form of address.
And then conjugate with the new form of endings differently.

3--Too many words are spelled differently--but pronounced the same. Ex: There, their.
Or--spelled the same, but pronounced differently. Kansas and Arkansas.

4--We have NO gender endings (male/female); NO formal "YOU" in addressing people like elders and strangers.
"You" is "you"--whether you are talking to the homeless man--or the president of the USA.

5--Lastly--and I had a lot of problems with this, English is NOT a phonetic language. Letters all have
a different pronunciation that what it may look like (to one having spoken a phonetic language).
"tough or Rough"--only has 3 sounds in it. "taf" and Ruf" . "Hi"--to me would be--"hai"...

OK, enough. I just want to say to you all--Be more tolerant of people who do not speak English well.
They are not ignorant, uneducated or illegal.
They are still learning...and, too many times, there is no one to teach them the correct way.
If you have a friend in this category--it is OK to point out the correct way to say something.
Usually--it is appreciated.

Ciao! (Chow). gita

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9363752

Speedie -- you can get used textbooks really cheap on Amazon -- shipping is 3.99, but the books themselves wont cost much if you don't care about the condition they are in. Or there may be a local second hand store where you can do better.

There is a lot of support on-line, but personally I need a physical book to really learn.

This message was edited Dec 21, 2012 11:10 AM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2012
10:28 AM

Post #9363862

speedie- try the library!! books like Pre Algebra Made Easy or some like title... Look at the branch near you- ask where it is on shelf and if not on shelf ask if they can get it sent over for you to pick up in a couple days. With renewals you can keep them for couple months.

You current certificate program will require math credits?

If we lived close Mark would help you.
8 ^(
(over an hour...)
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9364151

I sooo hear you, speedie!! Math is NOT my strong suit. Gotta love your dear hubby, doing all that to help you prepare. Whatta guy!!! Praying for you as you jump in with both feet

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9364159

Sppedie--

If you have an "Ollies" near you, they must have the complete line of "----for Dummies" books.
Maybe there is one for "Algebra for Dummies"...

Now--you KNOW that i am assuming you are a "Dummy"--it is just the name of these books.
They are like--$3.99 each.
Gita

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9364163

Sally: Oooh, I LOVE my local library, but sadly I've not been there in a very long time since DH got me my Kindle and I can borrow books on it... not to mention, there are many many books available for free!! (I've gotten numerous classics for free, it's wonderful!). I will definitely check out my library, thank you!! (I don't know why I didn't think of that!) Oh, and yes Ma'am, my curriculum of choice will require many maths credits. There are also quite a few Bio's and sciences involved as well.

Happy, I've got the Amazon Prime account, so maybe I could even get them shipped free! I'll check there too, thank you a ton! =)

Gita, ... heh heh, all those things you mentioned, and so many more, are all the reasons why I love English so very much, and why I love Language in general so much. I started taking Spanish in school in 6th grade, and continued on with it all the way through graduating High School, then added French in 10th grade as well, continuing with it through graduation. Spanish and French, for the most part, are both very phonetic languages, and the conjugating was very easy... at least to me it was. Where I work we have many Spanish-speaking people, both employees and customers. I keep my English/Spanish dictionary handy at all times and use my Spanish skills as often as possible. It's nice to know I'm better at it than I sometimes think I am. ;)

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9364165

Heeeyyyy, that's a good idea, those "for dummies" books are really helpful, I've read/used a few of them! EXCELLENT!!!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9364231

Speedie--

Just wondering--Since you have extended education of Spanish and French--can you, actually, speak them now?
Like--enough to have a conversation?

I took French in HS. I only had 3 choices. French--Spanish--or German. I chose French...because...
I had just emigrated to the US--and before that, I lived in Germany as a refugee/displaced person (DP) for 7 yrs.
We, of course, played with other German children--picking up enough of the language to become a bit familiar.
We also studied German as a language in schools there--along with English and Latin.
There, in 5th grade, everyone already had 3 foreign languages on their curriculum--plus out native one--Latvian.

SO! When I started HS here--I thought it would not be fair for me to take German--as i already had some knowledge of it.
See how long ago I already had a conscience???? I do not remember anything from the French.

I SOOOOOO wish I had taken Spanish, because I have lived next door to a Spanish-speaking family (from Spain)
for 42 years now. Our kids grew up together--and all I ever heard my neighbor, Olga, (the one that has all the Fig trees)
speak was Spanish to HER kids and her Grand-kids and her husband and her sister and so on.
I would just wait, patiently, till they were done--and then continue whatever i was talking about.
I NEVER, NEVER took offense at this--it is just the way it is for us multi-linguals. We take it for granted that
elders will speak their native language to each other and their children so they can learn it.

Eventually--I could, almost, tell what they were talking about.
How i wish I had taken Spanish in HS!!! I could then ad that language to my knowledge base.
I already speak 2 languages fluently--mine--Latvian--and English. I also have basic knowledge of German and Estonian.

You know why knowing another language enriches your life? You learn to see and think and understand life on different levels.
Their cultures, their traditions, their songs, their recipes...and all that. Also--what is meant when they say something
that is particular to their language. Like what i was talking about earlier--those "idioms"...Of course here--we speak in idioms...

Here is a "window on this world" of ours...(ahem--that was also an idiom)...

OK! Pretty soon I will have to "hit the sack" (an idiom)---and get some "ZZZZZZZZZZZ's"--(another idiom).
I want to be "bright-eyed and bushy tailed" (an idiom) when I get up. I will have to "hit the road" (a idiom)
and make my way to the "ball and chain" (an idiom) by 8AM.

When I get home from work--i will have to "fix some grub" (an idiom) and "chow down" (an idiom) whatever I have.
Will need to "hit the sack" (an idiom) for a "couple of winks" (an idiom) so i can go and "hang out" (an idiom) with my Pals
for a bit.
The drive home will "be a nightmare" (an idiom) as I will have had one too many.
Just hope I don't get "pulled over" (an idiom) and get "taken to the clink" (an idiom).
My Dad will "have a cow" (an idiom) if i do.

DO YOU GET THE IDEA HOW CRAZY ENGLISH HERE IS????? I enjoyed this demo.

Gita

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2012
8:32 PM

Post #9364336

Speedie -- Amazon Prime doesn't cover most used books.

Gita; That was a really good illustration of idiomatic English!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2012
4:03 AM

Post #9364453

Yes, I agree, that was a really fun illustration of how funnily we Americans speak! :)
(oh PHOOOEY Happy, you're right about amazon Prime and shipping ... forgot about that)

To answer your question Gita, Yes, and No. I can hold a relatively steady conversation in Spanish, but not at all in French; it's been too long since French class and I never really get a chance to exercise it. The fun part is, we get so many TYPES of Latino customers, from many different areas, and while one of our employees is from Puerto Rico, one is from Mexico, so the word "bucket" will be different depending on whom I'm speaking with... just an example.

It's a lot of fun and I learn a lot!

GALLETAS ANYONE!?!? < =D
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9364509

After looking it up for the translation I will say, yes, please!

English is a very difficult language. There are so many exceptions to rules.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2013
7:49 AM

Post #9374033

Bump! =)

Just a teeny little update; I'm into my last days of "cramming" as I will be taking that entrance exam the beginning of next week... I'm thinking Tuesday, to allow for one last cramming-session day.

I've re-taken the mock-up test they offer online and did MUCH better than the first time, so apparently the rust is falling off, YIPPEEE!!! Gosh, there's a lot of stuff I need to know!

Anyway, will give a new update after I take that dratted placement test. =)
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2013
8:07 AM

Post #9374063

Speedie -- that's great news -- and don't be upset if you don't pass on the first go-round, even with all that studying. I'm sure you can take it again.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2013
9:51 AM

Post #9374154

Yippee!! I keep thinking, better you than me. I did make it through organic chemistry, though. Also, I am glad calculus was not required for me.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2013
10:10 AM

Post #9374182

Happy, oh yeah, I can take it again if I don't like how I score the first time around, but it's not so much a matter of "passing" or "failing", it's more a matter of "let's see how smart/stupid I really am". ;P The better I score in each area, the higher the placement in actual classes once I start.
I worked like a fiend for about 6.5-7 hours this morning, then I just HAD to take a break. Got some brunch, did a little housework, now I'm gonna take a shower and get dressed (FINALLY!), then get back to work. Yeah, I started, literally, the MINUTE DH went out the door for work, a little after 4:30 this morning.

Anyway, goof-off time is over. Shower time, then back to work I go! =)
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2013
10:22 AM

Post #9374195

Speedie: I am really impressed with your tenacity!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 3, 2013
8:55 PM

Post #9374782

You GO, girl!

You've got a good cheering section, and I'm in it too! Re. tutors being expensive... check with the dean's office, as you might be surprised at the help that's available. I was stunned to learn how much free tutoring was available at our community college -- even for me, as a part time non degree student who was only taking a few credits (intro ASL & fingerspelling). I was even more stunned that almost nobody took advantage of the tutoring... in my class, I think I was the only one, and I wasn't really struggling. I know you're going to get the maximum out of your courses and from the entire experience, and I totally applaud your gutsy attitude!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2013
9:31 PM

Post #9374809

Speedie, I've used the Kahn Academy for some quick and good math review.
https://www.khanacademy.org/

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2013
4:19 AM

Post #9374898

Judy, that looks like a wonderful link, thank you, I've saved it in my favourites.

I will be SURE to check into tutoring when I start classes, I'm sure I'll need it and I'm certainly not shy. ;) Errrmmm... what is "fingerspelling"?? < =/
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2013
6:14 AM

Post #9375000

Speedie: Critter is so right -- I had forgotten about the resources that are available at colleges for free. My daughter is at a state college in Maryland, and was struggling with Biology. It turns out they offered free tutoring sessions 3 times a week and NO ONE went! Including my daughter (sigh).

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2013
10:16 AM

Post #9375236

I will be sure to keep that at the TOP of my "things to remember" list.

Meanwhile, I am now finished with the giant pile of "homework" that DH had printed out for me, so I'm taking a small break before I push on to (taking some Excedrin and) getting online to see what other pages I can find to review what I need to review. =) I'm finding that there are actually some math areas that are FUN! Who'da thunk it, eh!?
< =D
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2013
10:19 AM

Post #9375240

Speedie -- you are so going to be ready for this test. I'm really impressed by your commitment.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 4, 2013
11:22 AM

Post #9375310

Speedie, you're amazing. And there are lots of fun things in math, even for "not a math person" people like me. The trick is to shut down that gibbering voice inside that says "I can't do math I can't do math I can't do math I can't do math I can't do math." LOL

Another thing to take advantage of once you start classes: office hours. Unless things have changed dramatically, professors all have office hours, when they are available to their students. As with tutoring sessions, almost nobody goes... and it's a really valuable chance for some one on one time with your prof. Teaching assistants often have office hours also, and that's in addition to any study/review sessions offered.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2013
11:50 AM

Post #9375341

Things have changed then, cuz when I tutored in college, my sessions were busy. It was mostly the nursing students coming for help in anatomy.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 4, 2013
12:04 PM

Post #9375350

It may simply vary from class to class... anatomy is intense enough that everybody figures they need all the help they can get! :-)
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2013
12:58 PM

Post #9375415

Heehee. I hear you. Fortunately I loved that!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2013
2:50 PM

Post #9376398

I remember anatomy waaayyy back when... all I can say is "Ugh!".

And UGH, I'm all mathed out for the day! About 8 or so (8.5?) hours darn near non-stop (except for potty breaks and brushing my teeth after lunch)... I am fat-i-gued. (3 syllables).
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2013
4:04 PM

Post #9376461

A quote for you Susan

"Math is like love---a simple idea but it can get complicated"

http://www.pleacher.com/mp/mquotes/mquotes.html

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 6, 2013
5:32 AM

Post #9376920

Judy, that's a really cool site, I think I'll have to save it for future reference. For now, I think I'll live by this quote:

"But in the new (math) approach, the important thing is to
understand what you're doing, rather than to get the right answer."
-- Tom Lehrer
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 7, 2013
9:21 PM

Post #9378788

God speed on your placement tests tomorrow!

And, as far as 'placement' goes...I'm hearing the song "Tis a Gift to be Simple"

'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free
'Tis the gift to come down where we ought to be,
And when we are in the place just right,
'Twill be in the valley of love and delight.

When true simplicity is gain'd,
To bow and to bend we shan't be asham'd,
To turn, to turn will be our delight,
Till by turning, turning we come 'round right.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 7, 2013
9:25 PM

Post #9378789

Wishing you all the best -- may everything you know and everything you've learned and reviewed come popping up to the top just when you need it tomorrow! Hope you're getting some good rest tonight.

We're in your corner!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 8, 2013
2:39 AM

Post #9378826

Today is The Big Day, and I am ready! Thank you guys, for being in my corner, and thank you Judy for that oh-so-beautiful song. I had never heard it before, so of course I went straight to you tube to check out out... a few times. OK, more than a few. ;)

I did get a good night's rest, thank you, and now I am ready. I did a bit more 'reviewing' of some word problems yesterday that I had been stuck on and then I just couldn't take it anymore, hahahahaaa!! (3 hours' worth was enough). So, I spent the evening relaxing in the kitchen for a little creative outlet... figuring out how to make a chicken breast, some shrimp, spices, and some fettuccine turn into something edible. By adding broccoli and learning a new way to make a 'white' sauce without adding cream, it was fan-shmabulous!!! Nothing like getting creative in the kitchen to relax the soul...well, other than going out and playing in the dirt, that is... but it was time for dinner. ;)

I am now ready to "Place". I have been telling myself this over and over, and DH came home from work and confirmed it to me yesterday. "Remember, you're not going to take this test to 'pass' or 'fail', you're just going to go 'place', so no matter how it comes out, I'M PROUD OF YOU. You will go find out where the place is you belong, and then you'll make the most of that place, I have faith in you".
He also reminded me of the #1 rule of test-taking: If you look at a question and you KNOW that you don't know it, SKIP IT... you can always come back to it later. (no, the test is not "timed").

Deeeeeeep breath... GO! < =D
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 8, 2013
4:58 AM

Post #9378869

Good Luck Speedie, Remember it doesn't matter where you start it just matters where you go.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

January 8, 2013
5:24 AM

Post #9378884

Woohoo!!! Can I say that I love your husband?!!!! He seems like a great soulmate for you! Love his encouraging words. He is spot on!

When you are finished, treat yourself!!

Standing with you!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2013
5:58 AM

Post #9378911

speedie--

Your husband sounds like a Gem!!! He gave you great advice. I like what he said re:
If you do not know the answer---SKIP IT and come back,. A few questions later--it will pop in your head.
It is like trying to remember someone's name...you rack your brain--and then, as you are doing
something else--BAM! it pops right into your mind...

Good luck--relax and open your mind---and the right things will come dribbling out...

I know you will pass this with honors!!! Gita
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2013
7:10 AM

Post #9378979

I'm rooting for you too!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 8, 2013
3:39 PM

Post #9379404

Pheewwwww what a day! < =D Turns out the testing center doesn't open until 10:00 AM, so I had more time this morning to panic and wait... ran a few errands on the way there, then took the years-long test. Good Heavens to Betsy, taking the "real" test, looking at those math problems, they didn't look ANYTHING like what was on the mock-up test!! Aaaack!! Low scores in pre-algebra and algebra, but that's ok, it was pretty expected, at least I know the truth, and will be properly placed accordingly. The interesting thing was... I knew I'd do pretty well in Writing and Reading comprehension, but I had no idea I'd do as well as I did. I place in the Honors Writing/Rhetoric class, and I placed too high to even need any Reading classes, WOW!! Guess that's a good thing, considering I'll be making up for it with more math classes. ;)

So, the next thing to decide is, will I start with one class at a time or 2? The math course is 2 days/week, so I should probably start with 1, is my guess. 3, or 4 days/week would end up getting to be too much when I start back to work the end of February. I'm thinking I need to get my feet wet first, so to speak, and get the feel of all this school stuff again before I dive in with all four feet.

PHEEWWW, I am sooooooo glad this part is over with!! < =D
Thank you, y'all, for your thoughts and prayers, and cheers!!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

January 8, 2013
3:42 PM

Post #9379409

Woot, woot!!!!! Now, for a nice relaxing evening.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 8, 2013
3:46 PM

Post #9379412

Yay Suze! Congrats on a great first step!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2013
6:15 PM

Post #9379562

speedie--

Is there a possibility that the 2 classes would be on the same day? That way you would still just
be at school 2 days a week. If there are a couple of hours in-between--you could do your homework.

I know you will love being in the higher ed, atmosphere. I loved it! At the ripe age of 60.
It was so stimulating--and being with all kinds of old and young people was so great.
Cruising around the campus...
I did hate all the work--as i am a slow reader and that is one thing you have to do a lot of.
I was at my local (very good!) CC and was working towards an AA degree in Mental Health/Human Services.
Graduated in 1990 with a GPA of 3.8. YEAHHH! Never got a job in this field. Need a BS or a Masters.
So I went back to working in greenhouses and with plants..

But--you know what???? it made me a better person inside. So many new insights--and I have always loved
psychology anyways. Now I just know better and more...

I betcha--you will be amazed to see how many older folks go to school nowadays!

You go, Girl!!!! Gita

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 9, 2013
3:35 AM

Post #9379773

Heeheeheee, I had as relaxed an evening as I could, while still "living life" and dealing with all the other little fun things that it entails. ;) Popping the left-over lasagna back into the oven for dinner sure helped! =)

Gita, yes Ma'am, if what is shown online is correct, there is a possiblity of taking 2 classes on the same days, (both on Tues and Thurs), however, they are only 10 minutes apart. < =/ One ends at 11:20, and the next starts at 11:30. UGH. OR, I can opt for being at class 4 days a week, OR, I could travel to 2 different campuses 30+ miles apart on those 2 days/week.
With the semester going into the end of June, the BUSY time at work, I don't see me living through that sort of load, while still doing as well in school as I INSIST upon doing.
My math skills (or lack thereof) need all the help/attention they can get, so that will be a LOT of time concentrated on that alone... then, here's the description for my English/Composition class:
"Students in this course complete their first semester college-level composition course. Students focus on planning, organizing, and developing a variety of argumentative compositions. Students practice the conventions of written Standard American English, gain information literacy skills, and learn research and documentation techniques including conducting online and print research and documenting sources. By the end of the semester, students demonstrate their abiity to write a unified and coherent argument-based essay of about one thousand words that incorporates research and is nearly free of grammatical, mechanical, and structural errors. Students should refer to the schedule of classes for sections of this course taught in a computer lab. Students must pay an additional lab fee when taking this course in a computer-assisted classroom. Students may earn credit for this course through CLEP or Advanced Placement Examination".

That looks like, not only a LOT of work, but a LOT of time/access needed to my computer at home. I **think** I could get my schedule at work whittled down to 3 days a week, but then that cuts into 'family time'... I've got a few pros/cons to weigh against each other, lots to pray about. QUICKLY. Thank God I've got DH's support no matter what I choose, 1000%.

EDIT: Oooops! Here's the proper description to the English/Comp class that was recommended for me:
ENG-1010H - Composition & Rhetoric-Honors (3)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prerequisite: Consult with the Languages and Literature Chair for eligibility requirements;

English 1010H, designed for honors students, focuses on the advanced literacy of college reading and writing. The course will focus on how and what we read and how and what we write, and the close relationship between reading and writing. Students will gain an understanding of how diverse disciplines use a variety of strategies and conventions to organize and present information and will explore the influence the divergent strategies and conventions have over how we think, how we learn, and how we write. The course will be reading, writing, and discussion intensive.

This message was edited Jan 9, 2013 7:04 AM
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2013
6:41 AM

Post #9379874

That is an interesting dilemma, whether to take one or two classes. There is something to be said for biting the bullet and doing two, just to keep yourself moving through the program. Sometimes if the pace is too slow it is easy to lose focus. I don't think it is bad that classes are 10 minutes apart. It just turns on your drive (of which you have a ton) and your other responsibilities. If it were me, I'd jump at two. But then I was in night school for 3 years, so I'm used to it... I'm guessing these classes won't feel that difficult.

I have an idea: Maybe get a copy of the syllabus for each class, and go to the book store and look at the books. That will give you an idea of how tough they will be and how much homework there will be. I bet after all the studying you've done, that the math class will feel like review. And the English class should feel like fun!

If you take the Tu/Th classes, you can do the homework that is due Tuesday over the weekend. So the issue is whether you'll have time for the homework that is due Thursday. I think my daughter's school said to expect to study between classes three times the length of the class. If that carries over to your school, then if the classes are an hour long, you'd need 6 free hours -- 3 hours Tuesday night and 3 hours Wednesday night. So you can figure out whether you have that kind of time available.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2013
3:39 AM

Post #9380721

Heh heh, yessirreee Bob, there is something to be said for biting the bullet and going for it. But I think there's also something to be said for facing your own reality, and after prayer and consideration, I think my own reality is telling me to start with just one class to get a feel for it, then take it from there.

Following what your daughter was told: If each class takes 1 1/2 hours, then I can expect 5 1/2 TOTAL time per course (class-time + study/homework time)... TWICE a week... = 11 hours/week, per course... = 22 hours/week for 2 courses, including class-time and homework/study time. And, that is IF I fall into those specific guidelines and don't need any extra help or anything. Then we factor in work, and considering I work in retail, and would need Tues and Thurs off for school, you can be assured I'd have to work weekends. Most of them. That's just reality. Yes, BossLady will work with me on my schedule, but she can only do so to a certain degree, that's just business.
Also, no matter how much DH has said he would pick up the slack and be understanding, he doesn't cook. That's just another reality. I don't expect him to suddenly do something that he doesn't. (I shouldn't suddenly be expected to do electrical work, why should he suddenly be expected to cook?) That is a fact that I readily accept. It also means that is something else to use up valuable time to make sure I've got meals prepped for him to just pop into the oven/microwave for when I'm busy (studying) or not here.

... I know, all this sounds like I'm being a nay-sayer and argumentative and all that, but really I'm just trying to work within the perameters of my life and give myself the best chances of real success, and if I overload myself, then I know how I'll respond; by REBELLING. "Nooooo, I can't do itttt!!". That would be unacceptable.
I'll start with one (Math) class this semester. If I find, after this semester, that it was easier than I expected, then I'll just take 2 classes next semester. =) But I really think I just need to test the waters first.

On the plus side (is there one?)... I dunno if I mentioned this or not, but, with my high scores on Eng and Reading, I just might qualify for a Scholar's Program, so I'll be asking my advisor about that today. I'm not sure precisely what that is, or means, if it could have any effect on finances, but I'm pretty sure it could have a positive effect on my transcripts! =) I'll see what she tells me today.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2013

Post #9380764

Speedie -- that makes complete sense. When you said you could take off time from work, I thought you meant you were going to reduce your work schedule, not that you were just rearranging it. You have a ton on your plate -- it would make no sense to tip that plate over!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2013
6:15 AM

Post #9380786

Totally agree with you because that is your reality. Behind you every step of the way knowing that He will guide you. Maybe crockpot will be in use more frequently, or a big cook up one day for several days of meals. I'd cook and deliver, but that's a little too far. Heehee
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 10, 2013
6:58 AM

Post #9380830

You've thought this through as well as prayed through it carefully... I think that puts you in a great position to not only be successful in terms of grades but to get the most out of the whole experience!

You're on a journey of discovery.. Thanks for taking us with you!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2013
12:12 PM

Post #9381116

Thank you thank you guys!! Pheewww, a BIG load off my mind! < =D
I've got the appointment set with my advisor for Monday at 11:00 to register and pay for my class. Wheeeeeee!!!!!!! < =D

Hmmmm, you mean I can use the crock pot for something other than roasting stuff in the oven?? ;P (heeheeheee, that crock part is the perfect size for roasting a chicken in the oven!) =) Yes, time for ye ole crock pot to get more action, excellent, thank you for the reminder Jan!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2013
1:30 PM

Post #9381180

if two classes, I vote def for the same day. Much less running around time.

I'm sure your enthusiasm really brightens the day when you talk to the staff.!!!!!!!!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2013
3:30 PM

Post #9381282

It has all been figured out, thank God. A big relief to not have to stress anymore over figuring that out. =)
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2013
5:18 PM

Post #9381444

Heehee. Never thought to use the crock pot part to roast a chicken in the oven, but thinking about it, the size is perfect. Cut down on spatters, too, I reckon.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2013
2:40 AM

Post #9381716

Yes Ma'am, the size is perfect, and the clean-up is soooo easy! I've got one of those big oval crock pots, and that crockery is very versatile. Several years ago I found I'd worn a few small holes through the bottom of my "roaster pan"... you know, those old, oval, black-with-white-speckles things? I'd had 2; a hugemongous one, and a smaller one that was perfect for roasting a chicken. It was the smaller one I'd worn out, (and have yet to replace), so I learned to love using my crockery for roasting smaller items. It's ok, but just not the same...
Now you've got me wanting a new roasting pan, Ha! Sooo, of course I've already gone over to amazon and put one on my wishlist. Heeheeheee. While I was there I did some reading... turns out not all "Granite Ware" is created equal, who knew!? Guess ya gotta be careful.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2013
5:08 AM

Post #9381759

I didn't know, but, now I do! I am soooo excited for your new adventure. I read what your DH said to my hubby and he got a big smile on his face and said what a great guy you have.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2013
7:45 AM

Post #9381928

Aaaaaw, please tell your Hubby we say, "thank you!"... (and I agree with him). < =D I am super blessed and very thankful.

And very sore and tired... just finished painting the bathroom, ouch. Now the primer and coat-of-paint-#1 are done. Just one more coat of paint to go before we can install the flooring... and get that darned toilet out of the bathtub! HA!! After that, the medicine cabinet and vanity/sink/faucet will be a breeeeze.

Now, time to get a shower then clean out my dresser drawers. Gotta get some of these "to do list" things done before SCHOOL starts. < =D

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2013
11:08 AM

Post #9384724

Hi there! I got registered today and I am now "Official"!! < =D ... note to self: Make sure it is NOT a rainy day when you plan to get a PHOTO taken for any sort of ID. < =/ Can you say "Bad Hair Day"!?!? Eeeeek!! Oh well, when I smile and these railroad tracks flash, anyone will be able to tell it's me when they check out my student ID. ;)

So, that's the good news. The bad news is, the math class I need is already filled up, so I have to start with the English class. =( Oh well...gotta start somewhere, and it matters not that I start here. Got that done and paid for, got my ONE book, (poor solitary little book!), got my student ID, all done but wait for class to start on the 24th. This is the most different sort of English class I have ever taken, boy oh boy this is gonna be funnn!!! < =D
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2013
11:21 AM

Post #9384739

Speedie -- often people change classes after they first register, so you might monitor the math class. Given how hard you have been working recently on math, it might make sense to take the math class now to build on all the studying you did.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2013
12:44 PM

Post #9384844

ROFL- student ID, probably right 'up there' with Drivers License for flattering-ness! UN flatteing-ness?

Maybe you asked but yeah might be a waiting list., that you might get in after just a week.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2013
1:33 PM

Post #9384882

Yeah, we talked about that math class when I was there, so he pulled it up on the computer, showed me all the campuses it's available, and the status on all of 'em is "closed", so I don't think I'll be able to switch later.. and I don't think I'd want to either, not if I miss something at the beginning. It's all good, I did find out the earliest date for registering for next semester, so I'll be totally ready then! I'm not a good gear-changer, once I get started on something, I like to stick with it. Now that my mind is 'set' on this English class, I'm gonna take it. I'll do math next, that's ok.

Yeah, UN-flatering-ness is spot-on for that ID pic, HAHA!!! Hairs all over the place...
>l=)
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2013
1:58 PM

Post #9384914

Speedie: Sounds like a great plan! I'm excited to hear all the details!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2013
4:09 PM

Post #9385062

Who hoo!!! Speedie's gonna get sum edgemication!!!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2013
2:44 AM

Post #9385523

And I knead it, two!! < =D
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2013
6:11 AM

Post #9385643

Heehee

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2013
7:50 AM

Post #9385752

haha!!!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2013
9:02 AM

Post #9385846

Speedy, that english course as you outlined it seems pretty daunting all by itself. Is the focus on 'research' and paper writing? Hard to get back to original sources and to cite them as well. Just doesn't sound like creative writing to me.

Several times I have recommended that students needing to take a math course to fulfill graduation 'requirements' take Statistics as opposed to regular Math. Bypasses some of that ingrained 'not good at math' programming and lifts the veil to see how 'voodoo economics' or 'pseudoscience' gets away with distortions and manipulation of every sort so that "One and one equals two" depends on who and where it is being asserted for its trueness and impact.

Is the math course you placed for a prerequsite or will it count toward graduation math requirements? (Or, however they term such things now...it has been a while since I've reengaged with academia.) With a little continued math review this term and retaking the test you may be placed differently.

Most of the high school 'drop outs' I worked with to get their GEDs did best learning and reviewing math with and individualized self- pacing computer learning program rather than a class or tutoring. Another observation from my teaching days is that the speed with which a person can physically wirte the numerals 1 to 10, etc increases their math ability. We did a lot of 1 minute timed tests on work sheets and students could see their progess and chart it from week to week until a certain level of proficiency was achieved (80+% completed and 80+% correct consistently) In other words, you are competing with yourself.

Hope I haven't said too much...

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2013
9:28 AM

Post #9385877

Hello there Judy! Oh no Ma'am, you certainly have not said too much. Actually, the focus of the English course is researching and writing effective arguments, with the text book (thus far) being Lester Faigley and Jack Selzer's "Good Reasons" (Fifth Edition), to include access to mycomplab. The book does outline how to do the research, including the planning, analyzation, finding sources, et al. It looks to be a very comprehensive book. (there will also be presentations, **gulp**).
In High School, I got as far as College English Composition/Poetry, that's the last HS English class I took when I graduated. I never did get into "debate", but it looks as though I'll be getting a taste of that now, or some facsimile thereof.

Math, on the other hand...when I graduated, I was still in algebra 1, and barely passing with a C. The class that I will take here is both a prerequisite AND will count, credit-wise, toward my degree... how on earth that works, I do not know. I have asked and have been assured it "counts". The interesting thing is, it's a newly developed class, designed to work at the student's pace. If I excel, then I can "test out", and complete the class when I'm darned good and ready, ahead of schedule should I feel so inclined. Should that be the case, I would still have to wait for next semester before I can take the next-in-line math class, so the only plus for "testing out" early would be to free up my personal schedule. My degree requires a certain number of credits, to be split accordingly between maths/english/sciences/and "electives". There are a certain number of specific classes, but I don't remember off the top of my flat head right now how many.

Oh, and as far as the "how" of how I, personally, learn best, I definitely know that I learn best in a more 'humanized' setting, sorta balanced between some human contact and 'leave me alone and let me do my stuff'. ;)

I hope that makes sense.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2013
7:24 PM

Post #9388720

I'm SO proud and inspired by you!! You GO girl!! Can't wait to hear more updates!! Debates? Those are FUN!!! ^_^
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2013
12:53 AM

Post #9395596

Happy First Day of School. Go Speedie!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2013
2:09 AM

Post #9395613

Thank you thank you!!! I got all my little stuffs ready to go.. then I wake up at 4:30 to find about 3 inches of snow out there, and it's still (lightly) snowing! Haaahahahaaaa!!! I sure hope some roads get cleared, 'cause I GOTTA GOOO!! < =D

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2013
7:29 PM

Post #9396734

aa Comm College had delayed opening. don't know about your county, but Boy speedie, what a bummer if you had to miss your first class...!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2013
2:27 AM

Post #9396886

Goood morning! =)

Trying to keep a smile on the situation 'cause as it turns out, yeah, I did not make it to my first class. Everything was delayed until 11:30 yesterday morning, so I listened to the radio for road condition reports and they were not good, they included all sorts of accidents all over the place down here, including RIGHT down the road from the school. Nope, not risking my life for one class. The road that the school is on is a very narrow winding road and people drive waaayyy too darned fast on it while tailgating, (what else is new in Southern Maryland, right?), but to have to drive it in 20'ish-degree temps when it's icy just didn't sit well with me at all. =(
Will just hope that Tuesday turns out better. Meanwhile, I'm ready for it.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2013
5:27 AM

Post #9396944

As my parents would say, "You have a good head on your shoulders." Wise woman decision for sure. It's not the mission to Iditerod with life saving medicine on board although that road seems risky even on a good day weather wise...Glad you have your 'mush' on for next Tues!

Thumbnail by coleup
Click the image for an enlarged view.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2013
12:01 PM

Post #9397310

Oh what an adorable beautiful little Husky face!!!!!! I wanna snuggle it and smooch it!!!
< =D

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2013
1:45 PM

Post #9397466

Suze, it was a mess on the roads, and that was ROute 2 well traveled (Too well traveled) commercial road in our county. Impatient people and everybody trying to get on campus at the exact same time. You could well have missed half the class anyway. And I'm sure the instructor will not mind. Listen up if there is email or other internet communication with instructor, seem they are well into that some places.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2013
5:30 AM

Post #9397927

Yes Ma'am, when I get there on Tuesday the first thing I'm going to inquire about is alternative contact options. (like email and online student forums et al). DH and I were talking about that very thing yesterday afternoon. I do HATE to have missed the very beginning!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2013
12:12 PM

Post #9401423

Well, that was interesting!

Firstly, it turns out I didn't miss a thing last Thursday. They had decided to close the entire campus at 11:00 (nothing like last-minute planning, eh?), so I didn't miss my first day after all, today was my first day.

We spent just a few minutes in the 'regular' classroom to go over the schedule of computer lab time, then we all tromped like sheep (it took all I had not to bleat "Baaaahhhh") across the campus to the business building to the computer lab room. There we spent the rest of the time discussing what constitutes a complete sentence, then worked on the computer doing our "assignments" about comma splicing and fused sentences. I had started to get worried that I would have no idea how I scored because I kept seeing nothing but green check-marks, but finally I finished and realized I had seen only green check-marks because I got 100%! < =D

It's really strange, I'm the oldest one there, and that includes the professor. Everyone is so quiet, too... it's all so odd. No chatting amongst the students... eery. However, the professor is cool and quite upbeat. He's got a great sense of humor and is very encouraging of openness and conversation.

All in all a very positive first day! < =)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2013
1:36 PM

Post #9401610

sounds fantabulous!

So happy your second 'first day' did not cancel with the frozen rain we got up here.

I bet you can get em warmed up soon!!!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2013
1:42 PM

Post #9401618

Eeeek, you have frozen rain up there? Today!? I'll just quietly mumble that we had a lovely warm sunny day down this way. < =/
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2013
2:04 PM

Post #9401629

Sounds like you're off to a great start! Commas are one of the great tripper-uppers for people trying to "professionalize" their writing. I know most writing is very informal nowadays (and that's without even considering texting), but it's always good to know correct usage and how to "polish up" your words. I bet your fellow students will start to relax as the semester continues, maybe even exchange a few words before or after class!

GO, SPEEDIE, GO!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2013
3:54 PM

Post #9401778

I can just picture you looking around so innocently with the rest of the crew wondering where the baabaabaa was coming from. Hahaha

Glad you didn't miss the first day after all. I agree that you will have everyone in a jovial mood soon.

We had a first day of school in my family yesterday. Our oldest son and wife have gotten legal guardianship of a little boy named Markus. He is 6 yrs old and moved in last Friday night. He started kindergarten at the christian school where my DIL teaches. They have been told there are some developmental issues, so he'll be tested to see what they can do to help him. hopefully the adoption will be finalized this summer.

I have always found it difficult to express myself in words especially if I have to punctuate correctly. Maybe I should do as my father did when he wrote a letter- no capitals or punctuation. It was a trip to read. Maybe you feel that way after reading some of my posts. Heehee.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2013
2:57 AM

Post #9402213

Oh Jan, yeeesssss, I have been reading about Markus joining the family, WHEEEEEEE!!!!! < =D So his first day of school was yesterday? I will keep him in my prayers that he eases right into things smoothly and comfortably. I cannot help but wonder if a part of his 'difficulties' might be a combination of culture differences, language differences, and a just plain ol' "WOW this is different!!" type of need for time to adjust a bit more. Not to mention, he's awfully tiny-young! I will also keep "open hearts and spirits" part of those prayers for him. <3

EDIT: WOW, some of my originally-typed-out post got eaten! Here's the rest... I hope...

Oh, and .. no thank you, please keep typing the way you do, it's quite easy to read! < =D Haahahahaaa!!!

Crit, you're right, commas are the biggest tripper-uppers!!! (I'm sure you've noticed it often in my own posts, and now I am horribly aware of them!). I learned something new yesterday that I'd never heard of before: The acronym FANBOYS. It's to help remember the coordinating conjunctions For, And, Nor, But, Or, Yet, and So. True, there are others as well (like "however"), but... I'd never heard of this before and I thought it pretty cool. =)

I discussed the "Honors" thing with the professor yesterday and we decided that, based on my long-term goal (of agriculture), it would not do any real-world good to have an "H" on my degree next to English, so I will skip all that extra work. He said it truly is a LOT of extra work, and all for no real-life benefit for my intended goal. OK, I can live with that reality. =)

This message was edited Jan 30, 2013 6:08 AM

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2013
3:09 AM

Post #9402220

Well NUTS, much of my last post got eaten, so here's the rest of it... (I tried to "Edit" it, but that didn't work either). =(

Crit, you're right, commas are the biggest tripper-uppers!!! (I'm sure you've noticed it often in my own posts, and now I am horribly aware of them!). I learned something new yesterday that I'd never heard of before: The acronym FANBOYS. It's to help remember the coordinating conjunctions For, And, Nor, But, Or, Yet, and So. True, there are others as well (like "however"), but... I'd never heard of this before and I thought it pretty cool. =)

I discussed the "Honors" thing with the professor yesterday and we decided that, based on my long-term goal (of agriculture), it would not do any real-world good to have an "H" on my degree next to English, so I will skip all that extra work. He said it truly is a LOT of extra work, and all for no real-life benefit for my intended goal. OK, I can live with that reality. =)
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2013
10:51 AM

Post #9402608

I could definitely live with that realiy very easily!!!

My son is thinking that some of Markus's problems are definitely speech related. No, Markus was in first grade while he lived with his grandmother. They decided to put him in kindergarten to help him get a good foundation.
They have a new concern-my DDIL's Grammy is in the hospital and my DDIL has responsibility for her. Talk about a sandwich situation. She will be glad when her dad gets home from his trip so he can take over.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2013
12:01 PM

Post #9402686

And, when Markus lived with his Grandmother, was this in the States? Just wondering.. ya know, about that cultural thing. Or maybe a school system thing?

Goodness, yes I hope your DDIL's Dad gets home soon too, she's got quite a plate full!!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2013
2:59 PM

Post #9402908

Yep, in the Portland, OR area.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2013
3:38 PM

Post #9402967

Oooh, ok... no, you're right, that's not it. =/

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2013
4:43 AM

Post #9486849

Good Heavens, I haven't been here in ages!!! Well, just a quick update since I'm off today and working on the latest essay... I've turned in, and been graded on, 3 argument essays so far, and gotten an "A" on all of them, Yippeeeee!!! I gotta say, I'm really surprised to be doing this well so far, but am ever so thankful... it's a really nice re-start in my continuing education career, enough to keep me energized and motivated!
I never realized before how many different types of "arguments" there are out there... causal, proposal, narrative, rebuttal, definition, evaluation... it's enough to make one's head spin!

Anyway, the juggling act continues; Home/school/work/ and a little bit of yardening when I can squish it in there. I finally got all the beds out front cleaned out this past weekend... from LAST YEAR! Yipes!! And I dug out all the pots from under the benches out back... OH BOY those Hostas are really flushing out nicely! Got.. I think they're Virginia Bluebells blooming, the Columbines are filling out prettily, and the Clematis have buds on them, WHEEE!!! Boy oh boy, I'm really gonna need to get some new babies in those beds out front, I NEED COLOUR!!!!!!! < =D

So, that's what's up around here on the school front. I'm already registered for the summer with my Maths class. NOT looking forward to it, I can tell you that! < =/ HA!!! Well,... ok, I sorta am looking forward to it, heeheeheee. Want to start figuring out what I am capable of learning on that front. Not my forte to be sure!

Hope you all are doing well... and now back to the grind...
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2013
5:04 AM

Post #9486866

Grind away, girl!!! We've got your back. Glad to hear your good report. Math is not my forte either, nor is writing for that matter. Heehee.

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2013
5:23 AM

Post #9486901

Way to go Speedie, Thanks for the update. Hope you get a little time to smell the roses this summer.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2013
6:34 AM

Post #9487014

Your progress is fantastic -- you should be really proud of yourself! And we are all proud of you!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2013
10:56 AM

Post #9487332

congrats! awesome!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2013
5:51 AM

Post #9529443

Update time, Yippee!! =)

Well, that first class is done, but I have yet to get my final grade... heck, I have yet to get the grade on that final paper I turned in 2 weeks ago! But still, that class is done, I had my 2'ish weeks "off", and now yesterday I have begun that math class. YOIKS! Basically, it's a full semester's worth of work crammed into half a semester, from basic pre-algebra to graphing linear equations. It is an aggressive course, but thankfully it's also a self-paced one as well. What one doesn't finish the first time around, one can go back and take the class again, pick up where she left off, and then finish it. In other words, you CAN take a whole semester to finish it if you have to and it doesn't count against you... but I am stubborn. ;)

Ma and Grammy are still in town, and there was this whole breakfast/movies/shopping/lunch/shopping/dinner day-evening planned for today... but I will be staying home to work on my homework and be ready for THREE quizzes tomorrow. DH is already out the door to hook up with the family and head out, and I'm here to work... not my idea of fun. Oh well, whatcha gonna do? I am in this to SUCCEED DARNIT!! < =D

And with that, I am off and running; work to do. You all have a GREAT day!! < =)
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2013
6:47 AM

Post #9529531

YOIKS is right!! You have plucky determination. Love it.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2013
8:27 AM

Post #9529654

I love your updates -- thanks for taking the time to share!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2013
12:48 PM

Post #9529996

way to go speedie !

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2013
3:17 AM

Post #9530738

Thank you guys. I need a nap ... and a 7-week vacation from work. ;)

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2013
3:14 AM

Post #9536550

Great Googley Moogley! I am now dreaming crazy things like A=Pi r squared, and 4Pi r cubed/3 --- I think my brain is going to explode. (yeah, honest, I had a dream last night that I was kidnapped by crazy religious lunatics trying to convert me, and somehow A=Pi x r-squared was supposed to help me out of that mess!)

I worked my butt of this past Thursday and missed out on fun with the Family - movie and lunch and shopping. That was ok though, got a LOT done. Took a couple quizzes and a progress test on Thursday, and learned that I have ... I think 3 quizzes and 2 more progress tests to take today, through Chapter 9... the hard part is, THE HOMEWORK ON THE COMPUTER PROGRAM LOCKS ME OUT AFTER CHAPTER 5!!!!!!! They expect us to take tests on stuff up-to-and-including chapter 9 when chapters 5-9 are locked out!?!?! ('cause I hadn't done those quizzes yet... it's not on the syllabus...) WHAT!?!?! I don't like this computerized math taking GARBAGE at all!!!!!!!!!!!!! I found a way around it, however.. with the help of The Great DH. I found another way to watch the provided videos and used the book to work instead. HA!! < =P

I may be losing or confusing some here... let me try to explain. First, there are these things called "Pre Quizzes". Basically that means that, if you get 80% or better on a chapter's "Pre Quiz", then you can skip that chapter's homework/quiz 'cause you have already proven that you know the stuff. If you DON'T get better than 80% on the Pre Quiz, then you HAVE TO do the homework on the computer program AND you HAVE TO do the work in the book... then take the "post quiz".

Next: The progress of each "Chapter" (called "Mods" in the computer program) goes like this: Video, Concept Check, Homework. You CANNOT do Chapter 2's concept check/homework until you have watched the video, and you CANNOT watch Chapter 2's video unless you have completed the Concept Check/AND/homework for Chapter 1. Pretty linear. There are "Progress Tests" to take after every 3 "chapters". OK, still linear and makes sense.

The Problem: We will be EXPECTED to be THROUGH chapter 9 and ready to test on ALL of it when we show up for class today... but access to Chapter's 6-9 are LOCKED OUT if we have not taken the pre-quizzes!!!!!!! There are built-in stop-points beyond which one CANNOT progress (using the computer program) unless one has taken those Pre-Quizzes, and that's just RUBBISH!!!!!!! Other than finding a way around it (like I did), how is one supposed to "study" to take the quiz unless one has access to the video and homework!?!? And, not only are these things locked out, but ALL quizzes require an instructor's password in order for a student to be able to take them. Now, I COULD drive to the school, any day they are open, to any math lab, and have ANY instructor there sign in for me so I can take the test, it doesn't HAVE to be during my class-time... but I WORK FULL-TIME!!! Not to mention, we just had a 3-day weekend/Holiday.. school wasn't open Sat-Sun-Mon anyway, even if I did want to drive over there!!!!

This whole thing is gonna be soooooooo maddening!!!!!!!!! THANK GOD for the book, that's all I can say!!!

Prayers, lots and lots of prayers, that's what I need!! < =D

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2013
4:38 AM

Post #9536590

Googley moogley!!!! For sure. Praying the instructor understands the problem. Yay for the book!! Thankful for your conscientiousness and determination. You go, girl! I'll have to remember that the answer for many of life's problems is ----- A = Pi x r squared. Heehee. I can relate to the dreams, cuz when I was a toll taker sometimes I would wake up with my arm reaching out and back.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2013
3:10 AM

Post #9537965

Jan, HAHAHAAAAA!!! OK, well, **now** that's funny.. reeeaaalllly funny!! (I bet it wasn't funny to you at the time though!) < =/

Got the situation with study access straightened out yesterday. While it's true that access to the "grade-able" stuff is limited, there's this part of the program called "Study Plan" which, when combined with the video access link, gives one the opportunity to "study" LOADS of problems... just like the grade-able "homework" section, only with WAY MORE problems to practice on. YAAYYY!!!!!!!!! It turns out that I wasn't the only one having that problem, too. The big discussion in the hallway amongst all us students (before the Prof arrived) was about just that, everyone had been having the same problem. I guess the Prof either never went over it in the first place, or, if she did, she did it at such break-neck speed (as the entire course is break-neck speed) that we all missed it. Well, now it's all better and I can study my little heart out, YAY!!!

Meanwhile, I had planned to do 2 Pre-quizzes and 2 "progress tests", but was only able to do 1 progress test (the next one covers stuff that I haven't gone over yet), HOWEVER... I got 4 pre-quizzes done. Prof said to me on my way out the door yesterday "Hey, really good progress today!". Yippee!!! < =D (a couple "100%'s", and a few 90-somethings on the quizzes/test, by the way).

Rollin' rollin' rollin', Raw-Hiiiiide!! < =D

Back to work today... hope I remember what to do there! HA!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2013
4:22 AM

Post #9537991

Speedie---

You really ARE!!! Good work...Good grades...I am proud of you!

Gita--
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2013
5:59 AM

Post #9538070

Thumbs up to you Speedie, So glad you are doing well .
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2013
12:18 PM

Post #9538483

Woohoo!!!!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2013
1:20 PM

Post #9539728

Way to roll!!!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2013
2:52 AM

Post #9540373

Work went well the other day - busy as all get-out! Two more pre-quizzes passed yesterday, now time to re-study and get ready for Progress Test #2. According to the Prof, I'm waaayyy ahead of "schedule"; the plan was for everyone to be working on chapters 5-6 now, and I'm done with Chapter 13. So far so good. Work again today through Monday, so no days "off" to study. UGH. That's what makes it so hard. < =/ Oh well, "I Will Survive"! < =D

Thank you all for your support, it means WORLDS to me!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2013

Post #9540507

Being ahead helps when you have work days. You inspire me!
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2013
7:04 AM

Post #9540642

I love to hear how you are plowing through! And ahead of everyone else - how cool is that!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2013
4:51 PM

Post #9541264

OK, today at work I enjoyed THE moment I had been waiting for since the geometry section, I just gotta share!

Had a guy come in needing a pump for his pond. I was standing near BossLady (cooling off for a minute after being outside watering), when she asked him how long, how wide, and how deep the pond is. He said it was (get this!!) 10 feet in diameter and 2.5 feet deep... She said "It's a ROUND pond?" He said yes... so she turned to me and said "Do your thing girlfriend!" WHEEEEEE, a $300+ sale 'cause I could do the math!!!!! I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!! Heeheeheee, ok, it may sound small and silly to some, but this stuff is REALLY STICKING, and it makes me want to jump for joy! That moment tooooootally made my day today!

HAPPY FRIDAY ALL!! < =D

This message was edited Jun 1, 2013 4:31 AM
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2013
5:35 PM

Post #9541307

Yay, girlfriend!!! Do you work on commission? What a fulfilling feeling?!!!!!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2013
2:35 AM

Post #9541595

Thank you, yes it is a fulfilling feeling! But nah, I don't work on commission, but it doesn't matter to me 'cause I was actually able to help that guy! **That** pay(off) is priceless! < =D
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2013
4:44 AM

Post #9541661

Hooray!!!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 2, 2013
6:09 AM

Post #9542953

How satisfying it is.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2013
8:20 AM

Post #9544424

That's great -- plus, you will NEVER forget how to measure the volume of a cylinder and you will always have a story to tell!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2013
2:25 AM

Post #9546893

Thank you guys!! Yeah Happy, the using of it sure does make it stick, that's for sure. Plus, I was able to help out a buddy of mine in So. Cal. who was working on his car.. another "cylinder" thing.

Was all ready to head out for school yesterday when a little birdie nudged me to check my email before I hit the door. Checked, and sure enough, there was an email from the Prof telling us that there was no school yesterday because her daughter was sick. :( All dressed up and nowhere to go. =/ Well then, I got more studying done then! =)
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2013
2:04 PM

Post #9547598

Sometimes I ignore the little birdies nudging me and am sorry. Glad you listened!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2013
9:42 PM

Post #9551645

speedie, that story of calculating the pond...priceless! Way to go!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 13, 2013
2:42 AM

Post #9557108

Thank you Sally, yeah, it was rather fun! =)

Tuesday I took 2 "Pre-Quizzes", got 100% on both of those, so that opened up the next chapter (AKA: Module) to me. That would be #16. Reviewing that some more today and will take the "Pre-Quiz" for that today so I can officially open up Chapter 17, which finally starts getting into really scary stuff, graphing and plotting on the calculator. I started it a little bit already by detouring around 'the system' using the "Study Plan", and so far it's not really hard... yet. More linear equations, solving for both X and Y, (but this time I get to pick my own value for X to find Y), pair up those numbers and then graph them on the calculator. Linear equations/solve for Y, I can do. Plug it all into the calculator I can do. Watch the pretty picture emerge, I can definitely do! =) So far so good, but I sure hope I do ok on this Pre-Quiz today.
Meanwhile, all heck is breaking loose in the rest of my world and it's leaving me very little time to do my work!! < =/ Dealing with Orkin due to what I'm SURE is a carpenter ant problem around our newly-installed front door. (insert ACK! here), need the breaks worked on on my truck, more phone calls to make, more running around to do... it just eats up so darned much time!

And speaking of which, I think I've chilled out here long enough, back to the "books" to be ready for that quiz today. Pray me luck, please!! < =D

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2013
5:56 AM

Post #9557242

Right now--it is as dark as night out there--at 9AM.
hate to think what is coming...it is NOT going to be a good day.

I think i will disconnect the power source on my computer and my TV. Hope that is OK to do.

Gita
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2013
6:43 AM

Post #9557325

Speedie -- best of luck -- but I know you'll do great -- and if you don't, so what? You'll just pick yourself up and do it again! It's all good.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

June 13, 2013
7:21 AM

Post #9557386

Yep, it's all good, school-wise!!

Praying all the other issues get resolved without too much inconvenience.

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 13, 2013
7:24 AM

Post #9557392

Speedie, Good luck on the test, but with all the studying you are doing and the way you have been rocking the other tests I doubt you really need it. :^)

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2013
2:22 AM

Post #9558442

Thank you thank you guys (and Gita, were you safe yesterday? What ended up hitting you, storm-wise?), I did a bit of prepping after I got to class yesterday morning as well, and then got a lovely 93.3% on it! =) Yippeeeee, now I can officially move on! < =D Who says prayer doesn't work!?!? I say otherwise!!! < =D

Happy, ya know, I've been trying really hard to tell myself that very same thing as well... but I listen like my kid. ;) (ie: I DON'T!) HA! This is one of those classes that is "self-paced"... if ya don't finish it this time around, then you can take it again and next time around, you just pick up where you left off and keep on going. DH tells me that I need to just keep trying, and as long as I'm trying and working, then if I don't complete the course in the allotted time frame, then at least I tried, so don't sweat it. I guess I'm just wired that way though; I'm GONNA sweat it. < =/ I'm just a sweaty little person. =P heeheeheee

Gonna peek around in the Bugs forums, I've got concerns about these things that I SWEAR are carpenter ants, but the first "technician" (I HATE the over-use of that word!!) that came out from Orkin insists that they are not. Grrrrrr.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2013
5:02 AM

Post #9558512

speedie--

It was a really hard rain--and about 2 big Thunder claps--and after 20min-1/2hr. it was all gone.
The sun came back out like nothing ever happened--except all the puddles in my yard.
The ground is SOOO wet..it squishes everywhere i walk.

The predicted afternoon storm was just another short, heavy rainfall .
Puts a glitch in doing any gardening..
Gita

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2013
5:40 PM

Post #9559312

Thank goodness for that, glad your power stayed on and that you stayed safe.

What you got sounds about like what we had here; DH and I were driving home from dropping my truck off to have her brakes looked at and we got caught in it. Thunder, lightning, torrential downpours... just for a very short time, then done.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2013
8:29 PM

Post #9559478

Speedie: We lost patience with exterminators -- too expensive, and we didn't trust what they were putting down, and it didn't work half the time. We've been much happier for most pest-control issues looking on the internet for remedies. There are several good pest control sites.

This message was edited Jun 17, 2013 6:17 PM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2013
9:57 PM

Post #9559524

I'm also leery of exterminators. They just seem to use scare tactics. I had a good conversation with someone in the office of MD Agriculture who licenses them, and about termites in general.
Anyway, WAY to GO with your test!!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 15, 2013
5:56 AM

Post #9559680

Speedie! Way to go, girlfriend! :-)

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2013
2:51 AM

Post #9573576

Just an update 'cause it's been a little while... I have finally come to grips with the fact that I am simply not going to complete this whirlwind in the given time-frame, it is too much in too little time. So far I am "getting it" just fine, and it's actually fun, it's just simply not enough time. So, I'll get as far as Progress Exam 5 by the end of this 7-week period, then I'll pick up where I left off and finish it up the next go-around. (the second go-around will cover only 9 chapters/modules and 3 progress exams, as compared to 16 chapters/modules and 5 progress exams covered during THIS go-around).

Right now we're solving systems of linear equations by graphing... the trick is to know how to do it on the calculator ('cause on paper it's a WHOOOOOLE lot easier!). =) ... pesky calculators! < =P

OK, back to work I go!! =)
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2013
5:37 AM

Post #9573685

I soooo agree about the paper thing. It would be a whole learning curve to be able to use a calculator. DH tells his students he was in school BC. Before computers? They ask. Nope, before calculators, he replies. When he shows them his slide rule, they are amazed.

Glad you will not try to stress to get it all in. Better to do it at your pace, which BTW is impressive to me!!!
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 1, 2013
1:43 AM

Post #9581107

I woke up about 3:30am..and can't get back to sleep..head was all stuffy. Went and reloaded the dishwasher and got a cup of hot tea to "unstuff my head/nose"
Just catching up on all of ya'all and Speedibean's conversation. I don't know how she does it..bet nursing was this hard for her. I admire her so much for going back to school..

She's going to get too smart for her britches !
WTG speedibean! I'm proud of you!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 1, 2013
3:01 AM

Post #9581157

Good morning and how great to hear from you Betty!! I hope that tea helped to clear your stuffy head. :(

Today and tomorrow morning will be the last of my reviewing, then I'll take the next "pre-quiz" then the last "progress exam" that I'll be taking for this go-around. (that'll be progress exam #5). I plan to take the rest of the summer "off" 'cause I need it! Got oooodles of stuff around the house that needs to get done, and DH sorta misses having me around, 'cause even when I'm here, I'm not "here", if ya know what I mean. Poooor Hunny Bunch! (and yes, of course, I miss having fun play time with him too!!)

Meanwhile, been working at work, and then coming home and working my butt off here too 'cause we found out that, not only did we have those things that we thought were carpenter ants (turned out to be 'regular ants', but LOADS of "Kings"... or "Queens"??...) but we also have a termite problem as well. UGH. Soooo... been cleaning out the front beds in front of the house like a mad person -- shrubs have been pruned back to 1-foot away from the house, all those wonderful Irises that I'd had about 3 inches from the wall are now gone (snff!!), tons of stuff that was growing too near the edges of the porch has been cut back, weeds pulled, that cute little wooden bucket-and-hand-pump planter thingy is now trashed (was full of termites!), and that whiskey barrel is now gone as well. I dug all the soil out of it yesterday, figuring it would be easier to lift if it were empty... and as I was digging I started thinking "Hmmm... seems I should have hit the bottom by now!".. turns out, THERE WAS NO MORE BOTTOM!!!! WOW!! DH mowed the lawn while I worked Saturday so that helped TONS!! He pulled back 1 row of pavers that was up against the house in the back, moved a railroad tie (GOSH those things are heavy!), and now we are ready for Orkin to come tomorrow and do their stuff -- core drilling and trenching and all sorts of things. I hate the idea of all that poison being in the ground, but darn-it!, I can't have my house being taken over by termites! This, of course, also means that all the tomato plants I had out front had to be pulled up as well. I had NO where to put them either, so they're just gone. < ='( ... I don't even want to think about it, it churns my stomach. (I couldn't leave them in there, growing in that "STUFF" that's gonna be injected into the soil, NO WAY!!)...

So, tomorrow is school, pray to pass those tests, HURRY home (and hit up the dump on the way home), and be ready for Orkin to be here for at least 5 hours working. .

Working school into all the other stuff that's been piling up is really taking a toll, I tell ya. I'll be soooo glad to reach this personal mile-stone and be done for the summer!!!

Oh, and Betty, this time around is MUCH harder than it was in nursing school 'cause now I'm 23 years older and work!!! < =D
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 1, 2013
4:28 AM

Post #9581212

Oh Speedie, Such a pain in the (you know what). Better to get it done don't want the house to be compromised. Nice that you are taking the summer off from school I am sure you could use a little down time. My DD is taking classes as well and is finding it hard to fit it into her summer schedule. She is a teacher so continuing education is required, figures that if she needs to take classes might as well go for her Masters.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

July 1, 2013
5:06 AM

Post #9581255

I just found this thread. It It is POURING here - cars up to roof in some shopping lots. Anyway, was just looking at the different threads and happened upon this one - not realizing it was started in 2012. I went back to school not so so late - in my early 30's. But had 2 kids in school (elementary and middle) and one with a heart problem needing surgery-- a fact that had really mentally and financially bright us low. It was years of medical nightmare and fright for years. In the middle of all that - I accepted a job in order to get foot in the door at the place I wanted to work once I got my degree. A roller coaster life in a state where I had no family, life went on and at almost 50 felt I needed a more advanced degree to keep my leadership position - so I went back to the books and got a degree in mgt and organizational development. I have a science degree - medical and so this was just fluff to me. Didn't think it would be helpful since I had been managing -- doing well - and felt I had to officially legitimize myself and be able to compete. But let me tell you - the statistics course whipped me good and I remember many a night sitting with my head on the table at 3 am weeping. Both kids in college by then so only hubby to witness the misery! But one foot followed the other and it got done. Academic growth and personal growth and a few more friends and and understanding abut myself all came with it. Speedie - it sounds like your act is together and you are doing the back to school routine ( as in "OH SHI_ ! I HAVE TO GO BACK!!!" ) proud. You don't need luck you just need energy and a sense of humor and a helful mate I bet you got all that and more! I will lurk here and want you to know you have a cheerleader in NC!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

July 1, 2013
6:31 AM

Post #9581376

Glad you found the termites, dear, and are getting them eradicated. You know we have your back!! Enjoy your 'down' time and 'play' time! You are wise to not push it through the summer.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2013
4:23 AM

Post #9582925

Oh God Bless you lovely Ladies, and thank you!!! My goodness Rosie, you sure did have your hands full when you did your back-to-school stint(s), huh!?!? Statistics, eh? I have that to look forward to in my schooling future too, can't wait. ;) Thankfully you are right, I have an extremely supportive DH, I don't think I'll ever lose my goofball sense of humor (had a customer tell me at work yesterday that I'm "not right in the head".. hmmm... wonder what made him say that!? < =P ), and loads of prayers answered give me the energy to keep pluggin' away. =D I've also got a 25 year old son who's gone through the same gunk I'm doing now, and he's a lover of maths, so I've got his support when I need help, PLUS he just dropped in at my work-place to visit me yesterday and drop off a boat-load of books for me -- chemistry, intermediate algebra, some other maths stuff... a BIG OL' pile! =)

My summer "off" will be my opportunity to do stuff around the house that's been needing it: power washing and then staining the deck... stuff like that. And of course, re-vamping the garden beds to make them less termite-friendly. < =/

Well, time to get ready for school now... I wanna pass those 2 tests today and put this school carp behind me for now! YIPPPEEEEEE (in advance)!!!!!

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2013
4:28 AM

Post #9582936

YIIPPPEEEEEE!!!!! Love that your DS is supporting you, too. In response to that customer I would say that you are 'completely' right in your head!!!!
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

July 2, 2013
7:26 AM

Post #9583152

And I would say that being a little off in the head is a purposeful strategy!

My daughter was listed in Whose Who in Math -- i have no idea how that happened.
My physics instructer worked on the spaceshuttles toilet ----- all I needed to know was 'hold the IV bag higher --- the fluid will flow faster" - stuff like that. The gas laws slayed me. But stastics was my enemy and terror producer.

Your son got it right Speedie. Thank goodness for those intro to algebra books. There was a lot I had to learn or relearn just to do the work. Whereas the other students ( younger) just had had the coursework and it was fresh.

I messed up the deck first time and had to do following year. It peeled in places. Did not wait long enough between layers of opaque stain (Cabots) or put on too thickly. Not the stain - it was me.

Happy time off. Great luck on your tests

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 4, 2013
7:14 AM

Post #9586190

way to go speedy!!!!! my spell check will not let me say speed i.e...

Yuck we have had termites crop up. Be sure to correct the drainage and soil level around the foundation. WHen the house drains well, the house wood never gets moist enough for them and all is well. THe termite 'chief' at Md Agriculture told me that.
I'd venture to say that if irises were growing happy three inches from the house, there was too much moisture there to be a good thing... Says she who has a flowerbed along the whole south wall., tiger lilies inches from the house...ugghhh All of us gardeners love our houses swathed in pretty flowers...

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2013
2:58 AM

Post #9587316

Ooooh Sally, good point!!! Yes, the Irises were... well, relatively happy, so far as I could tell... but then again, I had the soaker hose snaked around them and ran it a couple hours twice a week. Maybe that's why they liked it there?? (she says hopefully) The big bed is really really composty - feels almost like walking on marshmallow fluff to walk on it. ;) I was able to save a few of the Irises that were farther out from the house, so I figure I'll just let 'em multiply as they will. Of all my Irises, I only paid for ONE of them (the rest were gifts), and thankfully that one is set pretty far out front, so it didn't get touched, and is doing fine as frog-hair. =)

But, back to the drainage issue.. We know that we're going to have to re-direct our down-spouts farther away from the house. We figure we'll get that black pipe stuff that our neighbors have on theirs, attach a few feet of it to each downspout and aim it downhill away from the house. I think that should do it, yes? It makes for a bit more of a peskiness when mowing the lawn but... BUMMER! I'll get right over that! < =D

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2013
6:51 AM

Post #9587466

speedie,

HD carries a fold-up downspout extension. It is about 4' long.
When not in use--it folds up and snaps into the upright part of it.

They also have an accordion pleated extension that can be stretched out or
shortened wwhen not needed. See link #2.
Gita

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Amerimax-Home-Products-2-in-x-3-in-Vinyl-Downspout-Extension-KM9030/100036488?keyword=fold+up+downspout+extension#.UdbOOazJZMg

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Amerimax-Home-Products-White-Flex-a-Spout-Downspout-Extension-85010/100057879#.UdbPT6zJZMg
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2013
7:03 AM

Post #9587484

Speedie,

Just what is your avatar?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2013
7:23 AM

Post #9587516

OOh no let's guess!! Is it a Rose of Sharon bud?

We have those black tubes on one side, yeah ugly, annoying, but necessary.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2013
7:45 AM

Post #9587553

HaHa Sally I'm almost bald where I ahve been scratching my head on this one!

First impression is 'Water Lily' which is all wrong and then 'chocolate' and then some kind of 'bean that is fast' In other words, no clue here!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2013
3:31 AM

Post #9589760

Gita, those downspout directors look PERFECT... it will be hard to choose between the two! I guess I'll have to go out and measure the current downspouts, that should tell me which one would work best. Honestly, after reading about them and looking at zoomed-in photos, it's impossible for me to decide which one I like best. We will be going to HD (where else would we go!? Heck, we even make HD dates!!!) soon, and I'll be sure to have the correct dimensions in hand. THANK YOU!!

Judy and Sally... heehee, I was totally ready to just tell you what my avatar was -- until I saw Sally's suggestion! < =D Now, I don't want ya going bald, but maybe the guessing game could be a little fun for a while?? < =D I won't make ya suffer for too long, I promise! =)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2013
3:37 AM

Post #9589763

speedie--

AND--in case you have to buy t on-line--have it shipped to your HD and pick it up there.
This will save you shipping costs.

Gotta run...gita

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2013
3:51 AM

Post #9589771

Aaaah, good thinking! Thank you Darrrrrrrrrlink! =)

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 11, 2013
2:26 AM

Post #9594878

OK, it is done... for now. I passed the chapter 20 pre-quiz, but did not fare so well on that last progress exam.. so... when I pick up where I left off next time around, .. well, that's it, really. I'll just be picking up where I left off. I really should have known I would not be able to complete it all in the allotted time, it's just too much, and it's geared as a 'refresher', not really actually teaching; the class truly is not geared to actually TEACH someone who never knew this stuff to begin with. It's a "teach to test" course. So, I have printed out several hundred work sheets of several thousand problems (my weak spots) to give me work to do in the interim and get ready for round 2. Plus I've found a couple sites online where I can save a few trees and do work online as well. Doggone it, I'm gonna get this stuff!!!! < =D

And the saga continues...
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

July 11, 2013
7:34 AM

Post #9595078

Yes, you will. I am impressed with your determination and perseverance. God will see you through.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 12, 2013
2:25 AM

Post #9595986

Yes He most certainly will. He always does. "Funny" how He works that way, huh? ;)

Meanwhile, yesterday I registered for round 2 in the Fall, starting Sept 13th. I also found out that my online access to the web-based part of the course is good for 1 year, so I won't have to be paying for web access a second time. WOOT!! =)
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

July 12, 2013
6:45 AM

Post #9596143

Woot, woot!!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2013
8:08 PM

Post #9607797

Playin' catch-up here...and am SOOOOOO proud of you Speedie!! What an inspiration you are and will continue to be!!!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2013
10:49 PM

Post #9607870

Hollyhock?

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2013
2:10 AM

Post #9607912

Yes, two please. ;P
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2013
9:53 AM

Post #9621039

Happy birthday speediebean!

Thumbnail by UMD_Terp   Thumbnail by UMD_Terp         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

August 4, 2013
11:28 AM

Post #9621108

Oh, Happy Birthday, dear girl!!! Enjoy it to the fullest

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 4, 2013
1:06 PM

Post #9621214

Thank you thank you! How cool, McDonald's green beans! < =D Waaayyy better than fries any day!!
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2013
1:21 PM

Post #9621233

McDonalds beans - fast beans -speedie beans...

Badump ching...

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 4, 2013
1:25 PM

Post #9621238

Heeheeheee, GAWD I'm slower than a snail going backwards!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2013
3:08 PM

Post #9621334

speedie---

May your Birthday be HEAVENLY!!!!!

Happy, Happy fay--to you!!!

Thumbnail by Gitagal

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 5, 2013
6:33 AM

Post #9621907

Gita, the lovely peacock is nearly as Beautiful as you are!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 5, 2013
7:00 AM

Post #9621934

Oh Speedie hope you are having a great BD. Plenty of good wishes coming your way.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 6, 2013
3:21 AM

Post #9622787

It was a wonderful day, and thank you!

CatMint20906

CatMint20906
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2013
7:11 AM

Post #9622915

Speedie, so glad to read this thread about your schooling adventures! That is so exciting! :-)

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2013
3:33 AM

Post #9658517

Hi guys, back again!! Well, just a brief, to get us all up to date. I'd ended up at the end of that last math class having attempted that Progress Exam #5 and not passing it. =( Bah Humbug! Did some random studying during the summer hiatus, but wasn't as diligent as I should have been, I admit it. (shame on me!!) Was SURE that I'd remembered my back-to-school date correctly as 9/13. I WAS WRONG!!! It was 9/3. I remembered it on 9/5!!!!!!!! DUH!!!!!!!!! So, I missed my first day back, which turns out to have been OK after all 'cause there were some school-wide computer problems so I didn't miss anything anyway.
Meanwhile, the computer problems have continued... soooo... I have been studying and studying and studying, preparing to re-take that Progress Exam #5 again. Went in to class again yesterday, to find that the computer issues REMAIN. One aspect of the problem is: The info of returning students is NOT able to be transferred from one instructor/class to the next (like my case, for example. My test scores from round 1 have NOT been able to be transferred over to THIS class; AKA: "round 2"). That meant that I was LOCKED OUT of Progress Exam 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grrrrrrrr!!!!!

Well, the instructor found a way around that yesterday, and manually "unlocked" it for me, so I was FINALLY able to take it yesterday!!
AND I PASSED WITH FLYING COLOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YIPPEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! < =D

I did get 1 wrong... but I don't really think I did. It's one of those cases where, had the test been corrected by a human (instead of a computer program), it would have been considered "correct". It was a graph. For you "math people", you will understand: I plotted the Y-Intercept correctly. My slope was correct. I followed the directions IMPLICITLY. Therefore, ANY other set of coordinates should have been OK. ... however, for some reason, the computer program said that my OTHER set of coordinates was "wrong"... EVEN THOUGH MY Y-INTERCEPT AND SLOPE WERE CORRECT!!!!!!!!!!!! Grrrr!!!!!! I will never EVER like graphing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But anyway... now I get to easier stuff, because for some reason the curriculum moves backwards. After all the systems of equations and point-slope forms and slope-intercept forms etc... NOW I get to learn WHAT a polynomial is, and all the different forms (mono, bi, tri)... hahahahaaa!!!

So, today is homework day since I'm off from work.

Hi-Ho
Hi-Ho
It's Back To School I Go
La La La La La La La La
Hi-Ho Hi-Ho!!

< =D

CatMint20906

CatMint20906
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2013
3:58 AM

Post #9658523

Congrats on passing that math exam, slope intercepts and all, Speedie! :-)
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2013
4:19 AM

Post #9658528

Speedie, I am a "math person" and without more information on the problem it is hard to say that you are right.

If the progress test is simply pass/fail I wouldnt take further action. But if it is for an actual grade then I would take it up with the instructor. Right/wrong it will be a learning experience.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2013
4:39 AM

Post #9658536

However it's calculated you done good Speedie! Is this math course the only one on your docket for now or are you taking other courses, too? How did that "argument" class go and what was your topic?

Enjoy your day off with some cooler fresher air! Hi to that great hubby of yours.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2013
11:12 AM

Post #9658925

Judy, I will pass along your greetings when DH gets home from work, thank you! :) Meanwhile, I am enjoying a more relaxed studying day. :)

Paul, I was hoping to hear from you here! :) And I've had another "ah-HA!" moment. After going over the results yet again (for the trillionth time) I have finally figured out where I went wrong. I did have the slope wrong after all; TOTAL DUH!!

The problem: -6x +y = -3. I'd graphed (0,-3) (1,6). WRONG!!! It should have been (0,-3) (1,3). I KNOW THIS STUFF, I could just kick myself!!! You are so right though, it is indeed a learning experience, and I'm not "above" looking like a fool, as long as I can learn from it. =)
I will offer the excuse that it was the first problem and I was nervous. ;P HAHAHA!

This message was edited Sep 14, 2013 5:01 AM
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2013
11:21 AM

Post #9658937

Speedie: I have to hand it to you for persisting to understand what you got wrong and why. You clearly are going to do great!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2013
3:02 AM

Post #9659437

I have been known to be a wee bit stubborn. ... from time to time. ;)
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2013
6:13 AM

Post #9659496

Ha. Good work! I'm glad you were able to clear your head of it.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2013
3:13 AM

Post #9670453

Goooood morning!!

...Well, I think it's good... except for... now there's another thing I can't seem to clear my head of. Paul, would you mind helping me out here, please?

What's getting me is the WHY and the HOW of the rules of negative exponents.

WHY is it that Aˉ² = 1/A² ?? HOW did the Aˉ² become positive?? What is the logic, and what are the math steps that turned it from Negative to Positive?? I mean, aside from the rules.
I'm not entirely good with MEMORIZING rules without understanding the reasoning behind them -- (at least, in math), and this is making me NUTS!! I've done all sorts of searches (mathisfun.com, khanacademy, purplemath, several .edu websites), and they all say the same thing: THE RULE SAYS DO THIS. But not one of 'em says WHY and HOW.
Can you explain it, please? Thank you! =)

P.S. Yes, I was one of "THOSE" kids (but, WHY?? but, HOW??)... I never got any answers back then, which is why I'm stuck in this boat NOW at 49 years old! < =/

Meanwhile, if I can get this to stick in my head, then I'll be ready for the next quiz, and then the next Progress Exam on Tuesday! That'll be Progress Exam #6 out of 8, WHEEEE!!!!! =)
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2013
3:48 AM

Post #9670465

Speedie,

Try this on.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101028140033AA7FRnO
I googled negative exponent proof.

"So, you accept the definition for positive integer. What about 0? Do you accept that:

a^0 = 1

for any a not equal to 0? Why do we define a^0 to be this? Well, we do so, more or less, because it fits in with our established laws of exponents. So:

a^(m + n) = a^m a^n
a^(m - n) = a^m / a^n
a^(mn) = (a^m)^n

If we substitute n = 0 into the first two, we see that they still hold:

a^(m + 0) = a^m = a^m * 1 = a^m * a^0
a^(m - 0) = a^m = a^m / 1 = a^m / a^0

If we do the same thing to the third rule, we see that it works too. Also, consider:

a^0 = a^(n - n) = a^n / a^n = 1

Basically, it fits everything we expect from exponents, so we add it in, as a kind of continuation of the exponents. We justify negative exponents the same way. Consider:

a^(-m) = a^(0 - m) = a^0 / a^m = 1 / a^m = (1/a)^m"

P

This message was edited Sep 26, 2013 6:00 AM
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2013
6:39 AM

Post #9670568

Duplicate post**

This message was edited Sep 26, 2013 11:34 AM

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2013
7:53 AM

Post #9670642

HUH????????????????????????????
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2013
8:12 AM

Post #9670668

"I understand your proof and I know it can't be explained mathematically just like multiplying can't be proved. It is an idea and derived on cumulative logic."

Ah, "cumulative logic" now there's a fine kettle of fish! So, if it walks like an exponent and follows the rules of an exponent we use it as an exponent til the collective wisdom recollects itself into some thing better...

God bless all of the whys alive and well in the world. Magic is afoot.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2013
8:55 AM

Post #9670707

Heehee my eyes just glazed over, just like when DH starts talking Calc or physics. Sorry.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2013
3:03 PM

Post #9670976

LOL, you guys crack me up; Gita with your huh???? and Jan with your glazed (donut) over eyes, Hahahahahaahaaa!!!!!!! Heeheeheee Judy; DH keeps telling me "It's not magic, it's math!" =)

OK, to the nitty gritty here. Paul, thank you, I think I get it! Sooo... basically, we know (intuitively) that: with a positive exponent, we multiply using that exponent's value. (eg: 8^5 would be 8 X's itself 5 times)... Logic then tells us, with a negative exponent, we are doing the opposite, ie: Divide. To my Polish, laymen's brain, positive exponents mean we want a bigger number, thus MULTIPLY. Negative ones mean we're going "down the number scale" -- aka: "getting smaller", so we DIVIDE. But no matter how you slice it, we do the action BY that VALUE of the exponent... not by the sign. Which is why the - in A^ -2 becomes a +A, thus it = 1/A^2...Because the 2 is the value of the exponent.

If that's it, then I GET IT!!! HALLELUJAH!!!! That makes PERFECT sense to me!!!
Ooooh, I just KNEW you'd be the man for the job, thank you ever so much!!! YOU DA MAN!!!!!!

Oh, and by the way... A^0=1 makes perfect sense to me as well, including all the mathematical reasoning behind it. That's the easy part! =)
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2013
5:25 PM

Post #9671073

If it works for you that is great. Me, it is best understood deriving it from the definition. Everybody is different!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2013
6:10 PM

Post #9671097

hooray for Paul...and speedie!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 27, 2013
3:47 AM

Post #9671305

Heeheeheee, Hooray for Paul, to be sure! =) Thank you for confirming that, regardless of how I got there, I still got there! (not the first time I've been called "different" either, by the way) ;P

I had actually asked my "professor" (and I use that term very very loosely!) at school this same question yesterday during class time... she had no idea, nor did she understand it when I asked her "Can you 'show me the work' to show me how you got there?" She said (I kid you not!) "What do you mean show you the work?" She told me that she guesses 'we are not meant to know' the "how" of how we got there. WHAT!?!?! Really!?!?! This is a very basic idiot-math class, and you can't explain it!?!? ... deep sigh...

Paul, are you familiar with 'ratemyprofessor.com'? Would/could you recommend that as a helpful tool in choosing my next math "teacher"?
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2013
5:18 AM

Post #9671346

I am familiar with it. Your best bet is just to talk to your academic advisor. Be open and honest, and communicate what you're looking for.

This message was edited Sep 27, 2013 7:43 AM

CatMint20906

CatMint20906
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2013

Post #9671352

I agree with Terp.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 27, 2013
5:40 AM

Post #9671365

Can't say it better than Calvin and Hobbs!

Thumbnail by coleup

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 27, 2013
5:41 AM

Post #9671367

First frame
Calvin: You know, I don’t think math is a science. I think it’s a religion.
Hobbes: A religion?

Second frame
Calvin: Yeah. All these equations are like miracles. You take two numbers and when you add them, they magically become one new number! No one can say how it happens. You either believe it or you don’t.

Third frame
Calvin: This whole book is full of things that have to be accepted on faith! It’s a religion!

Fourth frame
Hobbes: And in the public schools no less. Call a lawyer.
Calvin: As a math atheist, I should be excused from this.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 28, 2013
3:20 AM

Post #9672143

Haahahaahaaaahaaa Judy! Where was this when I was in High School!?! < =D

Paul, that is a much better idea, I agree with you.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 30, 2013
2:55 AM

Post #9673838

Been reviewing and reviewing the last 3 chapters since Thursday... Got the next Quiz tomorrow, and then Progress Exam #6 TOMORROW!! If any of you have a spare second for a quick prayer please, I sure would appreciate it! Thank you guys!

After this, there will be one more Progress Exam covering the next 3 chapters (preceded by their quizzes, of course), and then the Final! WHEEEE!!!

CatMint20906

CatMint20906
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2013
3:09 AM

Post #9673841

Speedie, it sounds like you are speeding through this course! :-) Good luck with the exams!!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 30, 2013
3:13 AM

Post #9673843

Aaawwww, God Bless your warm fuzzy heart!! < =D

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 1, 2013
12:37 PM

Post #9675207

YEAH BUDDY!!! I SMOKED those tests today!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU LORD!!!!!! And Thank You Paul for your help; there were LOADS of those awful types of problems on the Progress Exam, and were it not for your help in understanding how they work, I would have been a flounder! But, thanks to you, I just looked at 'em and said "Ah, I know what this is, I can do this!". WOOHOOO!!!!!! NOT ONE OF 'EM WRONG!!!!! < =D

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2013
12:58 PM

Post #9675229

Speedie---

I have NEVER doubted that you are a 100 in anything...
You are such a smartypants...:o)
G.

Thumbnail by Gitagal

CatMint20906

CatMint20906
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2013
2:48 PM

Post #9675334

That's terrific, Speedie! Congrats!! :-)
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2013
5:09 PM

Post #9675434

That's awesome! Well congratulations to you, credit goes to your curiousity and hard work.

Hip-hip...

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 2, 2013
2:58 AM

Post #9675657

HURRAAAAYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! < =D

I do take full credit for being stubborn and nosy and one of "those" pain in the butt students! "But teacher, why? Why?? WHYYY!?!?!" < =D LOL!!!!!!!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2013

Post #9675750

Speedie--
And I bet the teachers love you for it--as you are NOT a boring lump on a log.
Asking "WHY" is a sign of intelligence--you want to know MORE!!!
You are NOT satisfied with partial knowledge.

You are a mature (??) adult and have learned the value of understanding
WHAT you are learning...not just sitting in class cause you have to.

Don't ever change!!! Gita

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 3, 2013
4:03 AM

Post #9676605

I think I may have annoyed this instructor when she couldn't answer that last query; she had to go out to her car to get a book to try to find an answer. Granted, there is no algebraic formula or "work" to show how to get from one point to the next, but there IS a pattern to follow and intuition/logic to follow... I may have frustrated her because she just simply did not know anything but the "rule". "Don't make me think about it, I can just follow a rule" type of thing. Sorry, this girl don't play like that. =P I don't think she enjoyed being challenged that way. **shrug**

When I took those last 2 tests the other day, I did it on "my own time", so I used one of the open math labs, didn't do it on class time in her class, so I've not seen her for a while. Not going in today either 'cause class time is only 50 minutes, and I am NOT gonna drive 40 minutes each way just to sit in class for 50 minutes... just to do what I can do uninterruptedly at home!! That's just a stupid waste of gas and time! =)
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 3, 2013
4:40 AM

Post #9676626

Ah Grasshopper you calculate well.

CatMint20906

CatMint20906
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2013
4:50 AM

Post #9676631

I think college instructors should not be annoyed when a student asks a challenging question--they should be happy that someone is showing that much interest and depth of thought, and that they themselves are being challenged and stretched! Hopefully she did feel that way, despite the inconvenience of getting the book from the car.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 3, 2013
5:10 AM

Post #9676639

Book? Did someone say book? My favorite mobile device!

CatMint20906

CatMint20906
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2013
5:29 AM

Post #9676661

[quote="coleup"]Book? Did someone say book? My favorite mobile device![/quote]

me, too, Coleup! :-)

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 3, 2013
3:01 PM

Post #9677157

Me three!! No such thing as too many! =)

CatMint20906

CatMint20906
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2013
3:40 PM

Post #9677179

amen, Speedie--especially when it comes to books! :-)

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 4, 2013
2:15 AM

Post #9677492

My love for the written word began back when I was about... oh, about 4 years old I think, when I started trying to teach myself to read using my Dad's newspaper. I've always been a bookaphile... readaphile... libraryaphile... one of those things! < =D

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2013
6:24 AM

Post #9677655

Speedie--
What key do you use to draw a line through text--like you did?
I tried when I was editing my haves list a while back--and nothing worked...

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 5, 2013
4:23 AM

Post #9678336

What you type is < s > (with no spaces in between) right before the word(s), and then < / s > (with no spaces) right at the end of the word. If you click on the "Quote" link, to try to quote me, you'll see it in action on your forehead here. =)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 5, 2013
6:14 AM

Post #9678380

ReALLY!
I thought that using "---" may be involved...

OK! Gonna try it here.

I am tired of all this rain we are having.!!! OOOPS!

There is NO "quote" next to the reply box!!!! So--if I send it--
then I can no longer type all the ...in it--unless I edit.

Maybe you missed telling me I need to edit???

Sending it now...

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 5, 2013
6:15 AM

Post #9678382

What the heck????

I still think there is another way...sally told me once...G.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 5, 2013
1:02 PM

Post #9678676

[quote="Gitagal"]ReALLY!
I thought that using "---" may be involved...

OK! Gonna try it here.

I am tired of all this rain we are having.!!! OOOPS!

There is NO "quote" next to the reply box!!!! So--if I send it--
then I can no longer type all the ...in it--unless I edit.

Maybe you missed telling me I need to edit???

Sending it now...[/quote]

Just to the left of my text here you will see a box containing: my avatar, my name beneath that, my location beneath that, then the date, then the time, then the post # ... THEN, at the very bottom, will be a clicky that reads "Quote"... so if you wanted to quote what I said, just click on that.
When you do that, you will be directed to a page showing you 2 things:
1 - At the top you see a preview of what all the quoted text looks like
2 - Lower down you will see a box within which you may type, INCLUDING the entirety of the text you are quoting, AND including all the symbols used to make the text look proper. (example: you'd see the < i > and < / i > around words that are italicized). So, if I typed something with a line through it and you wanted to see what it looks like when I'm typing it, then you'd click on the clicky "Quote" next to that post of mine, and you'd see all the symbols and characters that I used.

I'm quite sure you've quoted people here before, so you know how to use the "Quote" clicky, and you know how to maneuver around the text you are quoting... maybe you just never noticed the < s > and < / s > used before to cross-through stuff before. Like this. =)

This message was edited Oct 5, 2013 3:03 PM

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 5, 2013
1:26 PM

Post #9678696

Speedie--

I have tried ONLY once to quote something. I think, like you said, the whole text
went into the quote box.
Do you then delete what you Don't want to be in the quote box and then type below???

As far as drawing a line through it--I suppose, the way you explained, it is done
on "blind faith"--not knowing before you "send" it--if it worked.

I usually just c/p a portion of someone's text if I want to say-----"speedie said this."

As an example: (this is a c/p). But so that it would stand out from my own type--
I may highlight and do the or isolate it by boxing it with

. When you do that, you will be directed to a page showing you 2 things:
1 - At the top you see a preview of what all the quoted text looks like
2 - Lower down you will see a box within which you may type, INCLUDING the entirety of the text you are quoting, AND including all the symbols used to make the text look proper. (example: you'd see the < i > and < / i > around words that are italicized). So, if I typed something with a line through it and you wanted to see what it looks like when I'm typing it, then you'd click on the clicky "Quote" next to that post of mine, and you'd see all the symbols and characters that I used.

AND--can ANYONE explain WHY there is this stupid "Read more"... line at the bottom of everything???? I find it most annoying!!!!!!!! as I have to always delete it.

Read more: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1289991/#ixzz2gsgWDUnE

WHAT is it for?????? WHERE does it take me????and--WHY?????????????

Grrrrrrrrrrrr... Gita

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 6, 2013
3:12 AM

Post #9679068

[quote="Gitagal"]Speedie--

I have tried ONLY once to quote something. I think, like you said, the whole text
went into the quote box.
Do you then delete what you Don't want to be in the quote box and then type below???
[/quote]

Yes, that is PRECISELY what you do. Just like I did here.

[quote="Gitagal"] As far as drawing a line through it--I suppose, the way you explained, it is done
on "blind faith"--not knowing before you "send" it--if it worked. [/quote]

Or, you could use the "preview" option, right next to the "send" button, to look at what you've typed to make sure it came out correctly, before you "send" it.

[quote="Gitagal"] AND--can ANYONE explain WHY there is this stupid "Read more"... line at the bottom of everything???? I find it most annoying!!!!!!!! as I have to always delete it.

Read more: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1289991/#ixzz2gsgW...

WHAT is it for?????? WHERE does it take me????and--WHY?????????????[/quote]

As for that part... interestingly enough, it's a link to the thread from which you "borrowed" text from a person. So,... what if I'd said something interesting in a Winter Sowing thread? You could copy my text from THAT Winter Sowing thread, then come to this "School" thread, and paste that text in here. That "Read More..." link would lead other readers to the thread from which MY c/p'd text came from.

Here's an example: I will copy some of YOUR text from another thread... when someone reads it here, they will be referred to the thread from which it originally came:

Gita said:
PUMPKIN CRUNCH
( From: “Buttoneer” Carlisle, PA)

Here's a wonderfully rich cake that everybody loves.

Ingredients:
1 package of yellow cake mix
1 can (16 oz) Solid pick pumpkin (not the one for pies).
1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
3 eggs
1 & 1/2 cups sugar (you can substitute brown sugar, or use both)
4 tsp pumpkin pie spice (***see Note***)
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, or mix them both.
1 cup melted butter
Whipped topping (optional)..like "Cool Whip". NOT necessary.

Preheat oven to 350 Degrees F.
Grease bottom of 9 X 13 inch pan

To Do:
Combine: Pumpkin, eggs, sugar, evaporated milk, pumpkin pie spice & salt
in large bowl. Mix all. (I used a mixer on slow). Pour into greased pan.

Sprinkle dry cake mix evenly over pumpkin mixture. Top with chopped nuts
Drizzle melted butter evenly over the top.
(Optional—you can sprinkle extra Allspice or Nutmeg or Cinnamon over all).

Bake for about 1 hr. and 15 minutes until pick inserted in the middle comes out
clean and top is golden brown.

Cool completely, but it is also great when served warm.
Maybe with ice Cream on it??? Or--Serve plain or with whipped topping.

Refrigerate leftovers, if you have any leftovers, that is.

***Note****
If you do not have Pumpkin Spice, you can substitute:
2tsp. Cinnamon—1/2 tsp Nutmeg—and 1tsp ground Allspice.

Read more: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1328400/#ixzz2gw2Eojg1

Now, if someone else reads it, they may wonder "Hmmm, WHERE and WHEN did Gita say this? All they have to do is follow the link to find your original post! VERY helpful!! =) I happen to really love this feature. True, it's not always needed, but it's so very simple to just delete that part when we find it's not needed... like when all the c/p is kept within the same thread.

Note to self: DARN, I wish I'd remembered this recipe when I was out grocery shopping yesterday!!!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2013
4:00 AM

Post #9679078

speedie--THANKS--I think by now "I get it'...

I had a hunch that the "Read this" may have something to do with the topic at hand.
I just never 'experimented" looking at it...

DO try that recipe! it is beyond good.
Easy as pie (not a pie) to make! Thanksgiving is coming...

Gotta get ready for work...Gita

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 7, 2013
2:43 AM

Post #9679968

It will be just a couple more months before I make that recipe, after I get the braces off so I can fully enjoy the nuts!! =) Yeah, I could make it nut-free, but then it wouldn't be Pumpkin CRUNCH, would it?? ;)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 8, 2013
7:54 AM

Post #9681115

if YOU make it speedy, anyway YOU make it...

it won't be nut free.

HAHAHAHAHA that was too easy

: ^D

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 9, 2013
3:52 AM

Post #9681824

HaaahaahaaaaahaaHAAHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!! You know me ooooh so well!!!!!!!! < =D

FINALLY done with that pesky chapter 24 -- Factoring Polynomials. It was all going so well until I had to factor Trinomials. AX² +BX = C ... BAH!! < =O There's GOT to be an easier way than to have to work through ALL those blasted PAIRS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where's the Geometry when I want it!?!? < =P heeheeheee

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 10, 2013
1:04 PM

Post #9683026

i liked geometry too, more visual.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 11, 2013
3:01 AM

Post #9683441

I use that stuff all the time at work, so it's a LOT easier and very practical for me.
Your pond is a perfect circle, 10' diameter, 4' deep? No problem.
Your garden bed is half-moon shaped, 25' long and 7' deep? How much mulch do you need? Just a sec, I got ya covered.

But the rest of this stuff!? I'm just looking forward to the end of chapter 25, where it FINALLY shows APPLICATIONS of these formulas! YIPPEEE!!!! When I can apply it to real-life situations surely it will stick better... ?!!! < =P

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 11, 2013
5:33 AM

Post #9683510

I once figured out what angle would you cut six timbers to make a hexagonal flower bed. Probably could just google it now.

Hated trig.
How about how long will the shadow be from my tree when it gets 25 feet tall and the angle of the sun is 30 degrees? or some such...that might be trig.

How fast must the gardener run, if the groundhog runs 10 mph and has a fifty foot head start, to overtake the groundhog and smack it before it reaches the treeline 200 feet away...?

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 11, 2013
4:58 PM

Post #9683889

HAAHAAHAHAHAAHAAAAAHAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! < ='D Ooooh THANK YOU, I sure needed that!!!!!!!!! (oh, and ... I have no idea, ask Paul! My guess is: Faster than the groundhog!!) < =P

I have no idea who these schmucks are who came up with the idea of quadratic equations, but I'd like to find out who they are and, if they're not dead yet, I'd sure like to help 'em get that way!! I just KNEW I'd be sorry I asked to get to the end of the chapter and to the APPLICATIONS of all this jazz! Paul's gonna want to bonk me on the head soooo bad, but I DON'T CARE HOW FAR THE BALL WENT OR HOW HIGH IT IS AFTER IT'S BEEN THROWN FROM A HEIGHT OF 2 METERS AT A VELOCITY OF 120 MPH!!!!!!!!!!! < =P

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2013
7:06 PM

Post #9683956

Speedie---You crack me up! ...I mean--my brain gets all cracked up just reading
your Posts! I have absolutely NO clue what you are talking about...

Tell me--What is your goal to accomplish after you have learned all this math stuff?
Is this towards a degree in math--of some sort?

Is all this in hopes of landing some kind of a math-related job?

You can't be doing all this just to be able to tell someone how many gallons
of water will fill a pond 4' x 8". Or--the degree of difference in the lengths of
shadows if you are standing next to your DH at 2:30PM on a sunny day...:o)

Inquiring pea brains want to know too...Gita

WHAT?

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2013
3:06 AM

Post #9684067

The ultimate goal is to be able to help Sally catch that darned groundhog before it escapes safely into the bordering treeline. =)

OK, no, really, the ultimate goal here is a degree in Environmental Sciences, ultimately Geosciences. (AKA: Earth Sciences) You may wonder "And you're starting this NOW!? AT YOUR AGE!?!?! WHY??" All I can say to that is, I was led to do it. When He says "You need to go to school", the best thing we can do is say "Ok, when do I start?". :) Yeah, it's difficult, and scary, and daunting. But, He said to do it, so He'll get me through it. =)

Now, what I REALLY want to know is... when I'm trying to find out how much time (t) it took the rocket to go (S) the distance (not displacement) of 425 feet, WHY does part of the formula I'm given include "-16t^2". WHAT is this -16? And then, some formulas given have a "-5t^2" instead... WHAT is the -5??? Are these numbers the acceleration of gravity, and the video tutorial is simply not telling us that?? (school these days; teach ya to test, NOT TO LEARN). Grrrrr. I don't want to memorize, I want to UNDERSTAND!!!!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2013
7:01 AM

Post #9684143

I truly believe that "understanding" something is to know it forever...

Memorizing--is short term--just to pass a test.

You GO girl!!!! I am in total awe of what you are doing...

Gita

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2013
3:39 AM

Post #9684723

Gosh, thank you! **blush**. I don't think of it as anything special really... just stubborn and pesky. ;) (describing myself here, by the way).

Hoping that Paul might have a chance to pop in to explain these -5's and -16's here. Am I on the right track? Have they something to do with the acceleration of gravity? Or, am I starting to dip my toes into the physics pool here, where no Pollack dare to go? < =/

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2013
5:12 AM

Post #9684743

''In mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them.''
Johann von Neumann (1903 - 1957)

8 ^D

http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/71945.html

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 14, 2013
3:23 AM

Post #9685362

Oh for a minute there I was ready to bonk Mr. von Neumann on the head... until I clicked on the link provided. THANK YOU!!!!!!!! Mr. von Neumann is safe from my Thor's Hammer now. ;)

I just KNEW it had to have something to do with acceleration!!! < =D Sally, God Bless your warm (intelligent) fuzzy heart!!!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 15, 2013
2:28 PM

Post #9686666

And today we passed the quizzes for Chapters 24 and 25!! YIPPPEEEEEEE and THANK YOU LORD!!! (and not necessarily in that order) < =D
yehudith
silver spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 15, 2013
3:47 PM

Post #9686709

Speedi

Congratulations!!! I know how hard you've been working, I just graduated with my third degree on may way to a PHd in Nursing Education. Why I didn't do this in my '20's before kids...!
The good L-rd has a plan for all of us and I guess it wasn't in his plan for me to do it then so I'm doing it now. We'll get there, we just have to have faith and keep going.

Yehudith

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 16, 2013
3:05 AM

Post #9687025

CONGRATULATIONS to you Yehudith!!!!!!! Woweee, that is some tough schooling right there. Funny... I did my nursing training back in my 20's, heh heh. Worked as an LPN for many many years... then realized nursing wasn't my field anymore. You're right, The Lord does indeed have plans for all of us, the trick is to listen when He tells us about them, and then be obedient to DO what He tells us to do. It's not always easy, huh? Sometimes the world looks at us like "What're ya, NUTS!?!?" ... I guess that's how we can sometimes tell when it's God's idea -- when the rest of the world thinks we've lost our minds. ;) When "the world" says "You can't/shouldn't do that!!!", God says, "Oh yeah? WATCH MY SMOKE!!"
< =D
yehudith
silver spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2013
4:09 AM

Post #9687042

Speedi

I know what you mean. I got my RN in my late '20's. I'd planned on going to medical school, got accepted and then things happened so I went back to school and got the RN. We also had been told there would be no kids. I always felt I'd just settled when 16 years later up (should say "out") pops my son. Notice went in in a "New York second". Mummy stayed home with her babies. If I'd gone to medical school I wouldn't have been able to quit so it really was a blessing. What's that saying, "Man plans and G-d laughs."
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

October 16, 2013
8:40 AM

Post #9687193

Amen and Amen!!!! I couldn't agree more. In college I wondered why I changed majors. After I married and moved to NJ I found out why. The school started at my church needed a biology teacher. Yep, that was me. Thank you, Lord, for preparing the way!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 17, 2013
3:16 AM

Post #9687757

He is absolutely AMAZING, huh?? He knows what we need, and the deepest desires of our hearts, but if we commit our plans to Him, He will take care of it all. < =D Now THAT is something to WOOHOOOO about! =)

Speaking of plans, my plan for this weekend is to dig into the last chapter and be ready for the next (and LAST!) quiz on Tuesday. It's a bit of a mess, really, this course plan. The last chapter is D (I dunno, don't ask)... we're not instructed to do ALL of the chapter, just parts 2, 3, 4, and 11. (again, I dunno, don't ask). The last quiz will be on Chapter D, parts 2 and 3. THEN there will be another "Progress Exam" covering Chapters 24 - D-3. THEN is the final. Odd how they've broken up chapter D like that, but... whatever. ;) I began Chapter D yesterday and so far it's FUN!!! A different take on slopes (which I enjoyed; I like those formulas, they make sense to me!) -- Now, not only do we get to find the slope of a line (when given the 2 pairs of points on the graph), but then we have to find the slope of a line parallel to it, AND the slope of a line perpendicular to it. THAT STUFF IS FUN!!!!!!!!! It actually made me laugh out loud, out of pure joy, that I did NOT need reminded that M= Y2-Y1/X2-X1, and Y-Y1 = M(X-X1)! (You math wizards will appreciate this!) It's totally STUCK in my head!! < =D I felt like the Camel on Hump Day -- WOOHOOOOO!!! < =D

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 24, 2013
2:54 AM

Post #9693596

Alrighty then... we are finally so near the end of this math class I can taste it!! On the 15th I took the quiz for chapter 25; on the 22nd I took the quiz for Section D2 &D3, and yesterday I cantered through Progress Exam 7. All I've got now, when I've reviewed, refreshed, and reminded (myself of what the heck it all is!) is THE FINAL!!!

Oddly enough, there are still Sections D4 and D11 whose work I need to do... but do NOT have "Quizzes" associated with them. I don't understand that logic (or lack thereof), but... I can study my heart out nonetheless. I figure, in 2 weeks I should be ready for the final... that should give me enough time to review everything to make sure none of it has fallen out. < =/

Rollin' Rollin' Rollin'...=)
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2013
2:56 AM

Post #9693597

Speedie -- you have been down-right amazing with the classes -- hooray for you that you are almost at the finish line!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 24, 2013
3:05 AM

Post #9693603

Thank you!! < =D
Thankfully it's only been 1 class at a time, otherwise I'd be a mad woman running the streets pulling my hair out screaming "BUT THAT DOESN'T FACTOR ANY FURTHER, I SWEAR IT DOESN'T!!!!!!" heeheeheeeeee

I pray, HARD, that I can get through that final when I'd like, 'cause that would make it just over a month ahead of the school's schedule. This class ends Dec. 16th., but, when I started, I laid out my own personal timeline: What I wanted to have done by when; and then I marked all the goals on the kitchen calendar. So far I'm a little over a month ahead of MY schedule. If I can keep this up, I'll have bought myself a little "breathing" time.. and then maybe I'll be able to get some "Late Fall" gardening clean-up done! < =D

Yes, this particular class is basically "self-regulated" as far as time goes... one can finish as quickly, or as slowly, as one needs or likes. I like finishing early, please. =) Especially since this is my SECOND GO-AROUND at it!!! LOL!!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

October 24, 2013
3:41 PM

Post #9694061

Love hearing about your progress!!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2013
4:12 PM

Post #9694079

speedie---
I just came up with a new name for you! "Adventure Girl"

Like Jill's daughter, Joyanna, is also known as "Sunshine Girl"...

What name would you give me? Just wondering...G.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 25, 2013
4:14 AM

Post #9694376

"Adventure Girl", eh? Heeheeheeee, well, I've been called a lot of things before... ;) I guess it's like in Deuteronomy, when Moses tells the Israelites that God has set that land before them, go and posses it, do not FEAR or be discouraged. I believe God has set this particular land before me, so I refuse to fear... and unlike an Israelite, I will not refuse to enter this land where He has told me to go. Heck, He's with me, it's all good! < =D Yeah, I admit, I get nervous, but real true "Fear"? Nope, can't do that.

And as for you, My Pretty,... there have been LOADS of beautiful descriptors that come to mind when I think of you... but, what name to give you? I'd have to give it some thought; there's just tooooo darned many good things that come to my heart when I think of you.
... Gita, The Wise and Wonderful (don't laugh, I'm NOT kidding!!!!!!) comes to mind.
Gita, do you have any idea how incredibly beautiful you are? You might not... but I'm here to tell you.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2013
5:54 AM

Post #9694445

speedie--

I presume the beauty is hidden within----.:o). Sure don't see it looking in the mirror...

But--thanks! You are my one-woman cheer leading squad...

Love you to! You are one of the funniest people I know...
We would have a ball visiting...some day? Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 25, 2013
6:27 AM

Post #9694465

OOOOH what a sweet picture!!!!! Is that you!?!? I LOVE it!!!

Yes Ma'am, we DEFINITELY have to get together for just some fun girlie time! I'll be on my hiatus from work soon (that seasonal thing, you know) AND I'll be done with this class soon... PERFECT timing! =)

Oh, speaking of "done with this class soon"... I need to go do some studying! Eeep, bad bad girl!! < =P

We'll get it figured out, BEFORE THE END OF THIS YEAR!!!
yehudith
silver spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2013
5:20 AM

Post #9697396

"I guess it's like in Deuteronomy, when Moses tells the Israelites that God has set that land before them, go and posses it, do not FEAR or be discouraged. I believe God has set this particular land before me, so I refuse to fear..."

Yep speediebean that's just why we had to wait until the last of the generation that left Mitzraim (Egypt) had died. We had to have a generation that had been raised to live by faith in Hashem and Hashem alone. He told us we would be safe so we had to not just believe it, we had to know it. Once we had jumped that hurdle we skipped over the Jordan like rams and never looked back.

That's just how we deal with issues today. We know he's with us so we can deal with anything.

As an aside. Last night we were watching tv with my 13 yo. They had one of the "control your tv with the remote" commercials on. I looked at my husband and said I don't need to deal with that because my children know they better not watch what I tell them not to, looked at my daughter and said "right?". She looks at me and says "Unhun" My husband says why is that. She's like because Mummy will kill me. I say "But there's a more important reason, who's watching when I'm not." "Ha shem". "Right he's always there and knows everything we do." Out she comes with "I know, but he judges with rachamim (mercy and forgiveness) you judge strictly by the law. With him I can make tzchuva (repent) . With you I'm just plain dead!"

Oh well, someone has to do the hard work.

By the way, she's the most spoiled abused child you'll ever meet I just believe in boundaries and you don't cross those boundaries.

Yehudith

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 31, 2013
4:15 AM

Post #9698851

Heh heh, your home sounds like ours: NO SMUT ALLOWED. It was pretty easy to "control" when our son was young and growing up; The Lord gave US the responsibility to take care of our children His way, so we never used or needed any of the "parental lock-out" thingies on the TV... WE were the "parental control", and our son was happily obedient! < =D

Another "aside",... gonna stop goofing off on here any second now; it's review time. Reviewing everything that I've done in this maths class, and then time for the FINAL on Tuesday, WHEEEEE!!!! I must say though, I had fun with the last chapter. Actual real-life applications of linear equations. Figuring out the rate of the current of the water on a boating trip, figuring out the rate of speed of a plane that takes X hours to go this way, and Y hours to go back the opposite way... stuff like that. REALLY COOL!!!! That stuff utterly and totally MAKES SENSE and is waayyyy fun!!!!!!! I just hope the test doesn't throw too much of this new-fangled vocabulary at me... I can "DO" the math... just don't make me explain it to you in YOUR words! ;P LOL!!!!!!!!!!

PRAYER TIME!!!!!!!!!! < =D
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 5, 2013
4:25 AM

Post #9702272

Speedie, thinking of you today and wishing you Godspeed through your final in Math .

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 5, 2013
4:34 AM

Post #9702277

Thank you, Beautiful Lady! Funny, I was just posting elsewhere in here, and thinking to myself, "OK, now I NEED to get out of here and get to studying". ;P

I learned over the weekend that there is one more "assignment", if you will, that I am required to complete before I can take the final. It is in the format of "homework", and it is considered a sort of "prep-final". It has 50 problems. No problem. I am required to get a 100% on it before I can take the final, but that's ok 'cause it's in the "homework" format, which means it's a no-fail situation. (hard to explain, but when it comes to 'homework' in this math program, you can re-try and re-try each problem until you get it right -- it's literally "no fail".)

All my morning chores are done, so I'm going to head out now and get to it. It's a good thing, really, 'cause it will give me a feel for what the REAL final will be, and also give me a good idea of where I'll need to do more work, if necessary.

Anyway, off and mathing! Thank you again Judy. Have a Blessed and Beautiful day!! =)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 6, 2013
6:26 AM

Post #9703181

Go, Speedie! I'm happy to read you not only "get it" but are having fun with it. Isn't it a trip to watch ourselves accomplishing new things? One of the other ladies in the pool exercise class last week asked why I always seemed to be smiling in class.. I said, because I can DO this! :-)

Yehudith, I just fell off my chair laughing when I read your story about your daughter... no mercy with moms, eh?

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 8, 2013
3:11 AM

Post #9704537

Critter, YES, "because I can DO this" is a great reason to smile!! < =) Once upon a time, when someone would mention "math" to me, I'd suddenly break out in a cold sweat, hands would shake, blood pressure would shoot up, eyes would POP, and I would have to RUN away screaming "Ooooh NOES, NOT MATH!!!!!!". (ok, well, maybe I'm exaggerating just a bit, heehee). But really, the first thought that would pop into my head at the first hint of the word "math" was "I DON'T KNOW". Automatically. Just pathetic. But, NOT ANYMORE. Now, the first thought that pops into my head is "well, let me hear what you've got, it should be fun to try to figure it out". "FUN"!?!? Am **I** actually thinking "fun" in relation to math!?!?! Well, yes I am. Who'da thunk it? < =D

So, Chicken Little here decided the other day to bite the bullet to take her final. She ... errr... I sallied forth, off into the great unknown. ... strike that.. into the great FUN, ready to conquer the world. Only to be brought up short by OVERFLOWINGLY OVER-FILLED math-lab class rooms. WHAT!?!?! Yeah, all the math labs were full to overflowing... into the waiting lines in the hallway. "First-served" were those whose class time it was. Next up were the first-come-ers. Well, that wasn't me, there were MANY before me. I'd driven 40 minutes one way FOR NOTHING. I cannot even begin to describe my frustration. Frustration at the waste of time, money/gas, energy being ready... all for naught. But also, frustration at: WHAT has happened to our educational system that leads so many immediately-post-High-School graduates to require this preparatory math class!?!? I mean, this is an "idiot" math class; just a brush-up on everything that has just been learned the last 6 years in school (that is, for the youngsters who have JUST finished school, not the old geezers like me who learned with abacus and stick-in-dirt back in the old days)... These teens JUST left high school; and clearly they graduated, I mean, they're not IN high school anymore... so, WHY do they need this class!?!? Why SO MANY!?!?! WHY did SO MANY NOT LEARN this stuff!?!?!? And, since clearly so many of them did NOT learn it, WHY WERE THEY PASSED THROUGH HIGH SCHOOL!?!?!?!
(one thought comes to mind: "teach to test" - makes me want to puke!)

These thoughts are all very disturbing to me, so I have decided something. A few things, actually. First, when I go take my final, I shall do it during "MY" class time, ensuring me a seat. (those whose class time it is get first dibs, remember?). Secondly, I plan to take some photos of the lines and masses of those filled labs and hallways... and to informally "interview" some of the students... because somewhere along the line here pretty soon I know I shall be taking another writing course, and I plan to address this issue in one of my writing assignments. Surely it can't be just me who sees this issue.. AS an issue. It just can't be right... can it!?!?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 8, 2013
1:06 PM

Post #9704844

Sorry for your frustrating experience trying to take your test.
Oh yeah…insane isn't it? How do they graduate? THere is supposedly a competency test they must pass sometime during high school. They start giving it in 9th or 10th grade and many kids pass it first time (here) and then have a day off each year after at test time. But then how is it so many incompetent kids are given a diploma? TO GET THEM OUT AND OFF THE SCHOOL'S BACK.
Great topic for an essay or paper, good idea!
I heard in depth recently from a friend on the inside of the school system about the particular problems she discovered. THere's a lack of real accountability. Federal grant money not used for intended purpose, certificate requirements not adhered to…politics…careers…egos...

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 12, 2013
1:47 PM

Post #9707683

Yes, "to get them out and off the school's back", you're exactly right... partly. The other part; to say "LOOK HOW MANY KIDS PASS WITH OUR CURRICULUM!!" It's nonsense, they are just being taught how to TEST, not how to LEARN.

Meanwhile,... I'M DONE!!!!!!!!! Passed the final today and that's that.. and BOY am I glad!!!!!!!!! Next class, a REAL class, with a REAL instructor... and NO MORE "My MathLab"!!!!!!!!!!! UGH, I don't like that AT ALL!!!!

Didn't get a chance to chat with other students today, bummer. I guess it must have been the threat of "Ooooh, we might see 3 flakes of a snow flurry!!" that scared so many of 'em away. Bunch of chickens!! < =P
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

November 12, 2013
3:00 PM

Post #9707723

Doing a happy dance!!!! Woohoo!!!! YIPEE!!!!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 12, 2013
6:43 PM

Post #9707888

yay speedie!!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 13, 2013
4:30 AM

Post #9708029

Heeheeheee, I finally get to do some housework, YIPPEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

... wait... huh??? < =P
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

November 13, 2013
6:02 AM

Post #9708111

Hmmm... Math or cleaning. Math or cleaning. I think I'd choose (I hate to say it) math. Hehehe
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 13, 2013
8:19 AM

Post #9708220

Speedie: I am so proud of you -- that is just fantastic. Personally, I LOVE math. I find the challenge fun.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 13, 2013
12:18 PM

Post #9708342

I'll take math!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 13, 2013
3:06 PM

Post #9708465

Oh, but I had FUN cleaning today!!! Was nice to get floors and ceilings and ceiling fans and (ick!) bathrooms scrubbed! Wheeee!!!

Jan, YOU would rather do the math!? Heeheeheee
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2013
7:11 AM

Post #9708830

Hehehe, not really, but, I'd rather that than clean!!!

CatMint20906

CatMint20906
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2013
5:18 AM

Post #9710786

congrats on getting through the math class and making such a terrific learning experience for yourself! good luck with the housework--*not* my favorite pastime, either. :-b
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 23, 2013
10:32 AM

Post #9715042

Congrats Speedie, we knew you could do it. Thumbs up.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 24, 2013
5:38 AM

Post #9715486

Thank you thank you!! < =D

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2014
5:38 AM

Post #9755821

Well, here we are again. Winter break-time is over and I'm back in the next class again. Slow row to hoe, I tell ya. This next class is a "real" math class, with a "real" instructor. (ie: DRILL SERGEANT) =) I like it!!! Well, at least so far. It's not a computer-lab type of class setting, it's a real instructor who actually instructs the class; maths problems on the dry-erase boards with clear verbal instruction, and LOADS of homework.

Speaking of which, time for me to get at it! Got the other half to finish before Thursday night. Off to the races!! < =D

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2014
4:37 PM

Post #9756184

speedie--

Before you start a new school season--and all your new adventures--how about a new Thread.
This one has 289 Posts.
I am not having problems--but others might.

Please c/p your above Post in the new Thread so we can get the "whole picture"...

Thanks, G.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2014
3:04 AM

Post #9756385

Good thinking Gita, thanks!

School Adventure Part 2 can be found here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1348639/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-Atlantic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening forum Terry 51 Jan 6, 2009 12:54 AM
Happy Hollow trip in MD who's in??? magoobu 48 Apr 26, 2007 12:41 PM
rocks??? nikki_conway 68 Jan 18, 2011 6:26 PM
Liriope - evergreen here? pennefeather 18 Aug 2, 2010 6:18 AM
Pineapple sage recipe to share. ladygardener1 18 Nov 5, 2010 4:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America