Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Introduction to Agaves: Call me negative but.. be very careful.

Communities > Forums > Article: Introduction to Agaves
bookmark
Forum: Article: Introduction to AgavesReplies: 2, Views: 17
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Tropheus
Wedgefield, FL

December 5, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9350277

I have had a bit of experience with this beast of a plant and while I am new, none of the downsides were listed. I bought a large piece of property in May and immediately had issues. The previous owner had a thing for spiny plats so I have quite a few of these scattered around the property, on very large one was located right above the access to the septic system. When I say large, the base as as big around as a 55 gallon drum and about 3/4ths as high and the swords on it approached 7 feet high and averaged 4 to 5 feet in length. Well I had to move it or pay a couple hundred bucks for the septic guys to do it. At the time not knowing anything about this plant, I assumed it was some form of cactus and went at it with a bush axe and regular axe. The bayonets at the end of each sword leaf were around 4 to 5 inches each. The hook spines along the sides were about an inch each and sharp enough to penetrate heavy leather work gloves. That aside a started hacking. and splattering the sap a bit on my exposed arms. I didnt think much of it and a half hour later my arms and neck were burning. I took a break washed my arms in cool water and went back to work and same thing happened. Note at the time I didnt have internet hooked up to even look it up. So I defoliated it and still had the drum sized base to work with and I chopped a bit under the soil level, brought my jeep around and hooked up a chain and after about an hour of chop/pulling got the 200+pound base out of the ground and rolled it into nearby woods where it still sits and is still green. The next day I notice my arms and neck are very splotchy. The next morning I wake up and my arms are itching...bad. Real bad. So bad it was ridiculous. And over the course of the next two weeks I go through a bottle of itch cream a day easily and have to take a couple benedryl every night to get to sleep. I am alergic to poison ivy and have had some nasty cases of it. PI pales in comparrison to agave sap. I have never itched so bad in my life and I grew up playing in the woods and outdoors. Then I look this creature up and discover the sap causes contact dermatitus and there is no cure aside from waiting it out which usually takes a couple weeks(which it did) and there could be a relapse in the same location at any time over the next year. I talked to my nursery guy about this thing, he told me he refuses to sell them due to the spine issue alone, he didnt even know about the sap and I have met other nursery people locally who told me the same. I still have a few of these including a moderate sized one still on the property and I havent yet gotten rid of them. I would recommend them to no one and if you have them, I recommend either gasoline and matches or C4 to get rid of them.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

December 5, 2012
9:11 AM

Post #9350405

Thanks for that experience... you recall what species it was?
Tropheus
Wedgefield, FL

December 5, 2012
10:19 AM

Post #9350496

It looks very much like Agave tequiliana in appearance but like a said, with a core trunk the leaves come off of and the nastiest spines and barbs I have ever seen in the plant world.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Introduction to Agaves Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
And what an obsession it is! podster 11 Oct 20, 2007 1:16 AM
podster and palmbob ceeadsalaskazone3 0 Oct 19, 2007 1:23 PM
great article-thanks dreamingflowers 5 Dec 7, 2012 9:26 PM
Thx from a Newbie - ? Agaves vs Yucca ? HoustonRick 1 Oct 22, 2007 7:32 PM
Plant names, genus effjayy101 1 Jun 1, 2008 3:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America