Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Seed Germination: Japanese Maples from seed

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 5, Views: 72
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LynnTubb
Co. Limerick
Ireland

December 5, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9350453

Hi, has anyone any advice about how to germinate these? I have tried a few times but none have ever grown. I have tried them in the fridge several times and I currently have some Tromenburg seeds in the cold frame for the winter. I am getting the seeds from reputable online suppliers as I don't know anyone who can give me fresh seeds. Has anyone had any success from bought seed? Any advice will be gratefully received...

Lynn
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 5, 2012
4:43 PM

Post #9350800

I've not purchased any seeds, but they germinate under the tree, just laying on the ground, so they can't be that difficult.

Maybe you could moisten a paper towel, put it around the inside of a glass, with the seeds in BETWEEN the glass and the moist paper towel, and cover with saran wrap - you can watch them and see if the germinate. When they do germinate, take them out and pot them up.
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2012
6:51 PM

Post #9350889

I came across this link.
http://www.freeplants.com/free-article-japanese-maples-from-seed.htm

Are you putting them in the refrigerator in something damp for long enough.

I can't confirm it, but I suspect that the seeds remain viable for very long.
LynnTubb
Co. Limerick
Ireland

December 6, 2012
12:28 AM

Post #9351062

Thank you for your help, I have heard that they germinate much easier from fresh seed. We have Sycamore trees in the garden and I find seedlings coming up everywhere each year but I just had no luck with the Japanese Acers. I think maybe I haven't left them in the cold for long enough, I was only giving them 6 weeks as advised on the packet instructions, I will leave these for longer and see if it works. Thanks Doug9345!
KayJones, I like your idea with the paper towel and glass, that will work very well for a few of the seeds I have, very helpful!

This message was edited Dec 6, 2012 8:30 AM
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2012
7:05 AM

Post #9351196

I've also read that JM seeds need double stratification (to simulate 2 winters not just one) for best results. So at a minimum you ought to leave them in the fridge longer than you would for your typical seeds.
LynnTubb
Co. Limerick
Ireland

March 25, 2013
2:09 PM

Post #9461624

...I have one!! I left the seeds out over the winter and when I checked the tray today I had a seedling! I think I just hadn't left them in the cold for long enough before! Delighted!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America