Photo by Melody
We want to hear from you! Please take this short, anonymous survey to help us improve the DG home page.

Propagation: Japanese Maples from seed

Communities > Forums > Propagation
Forum: PropagationReplies: 5, Views: 72
Add to Bookmarks
Co. Limerick

December 5, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9350453

Hi, has anyone any advice about how to germinate these? I have tried a few times but none have ever grown. I have tried them in the fridge several times and I currently have some Tromenburg seeds in the cold frame for the winter. I am getting the seeds from reputable online suppliers as I don't know anyone who can give me fresh seeds. Has anyone had any success from bought seed? Any advice will be gratefully received...

Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 5, 2012
4:43 PM

Post #9350800

I've not purchased any seeds, but they germinate under the tree, just laying on the ground, so they can't be that difficult.

Maybe you could moisten a paper towel, put it around the inside of a glass, with the seeds in BETWEEN the glass and the moist paper towel, and cover with saran wrap - you can watch them and see if the germinate. When they do germinate, take them out and pot them up.
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2012
6:51 PM

Post #9350889

I came across this link.

Are you putting them in the refrigerator in something damp for long enough.

I can't confirm it, but I suspect that the seeds remain viable for very long.
Co. Limerick

December 6, 2012
12:28 AM

Post #9351062

Thank you for your help, I have heard that they germinate much easier from fresh seed. We have Sycamore trees in the garden and I find seedlings coming up everywhere each year but I just had no luck with the Japanese Acers. I think maybe I haven't left them in the cold for long enough, I was only giving them 6 weeks as advised on the packet instructions, I will leave these for longer and see if it works. Thanks Doug9345!
KayJones, I like your idea with the paper towel and glass, that will work very well for a few of the seeds I have, very helpful!

This message was edited Dec 6, 2012 8:30 AM
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2012
7:05 AM

Post #9351196

I've also read that JM seeds need double stratification (to simulate 2 winters not just one) for best results. So at a minimum you ought to leave them in the fridge longer than you would for your typical seeds.
Co. Limerick

March 25, 2013
2:09 PM

Post #9461624

...I have one!! I left the seeds out over the winter and when I checked the tray today I had a seedling! I think I just hadn't left them in the cold for long enough before! Delighted!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Propagation Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Beans Crossing ragamuffin 2 Dec 25, 2007 7:28 AM
rooting bamboo justmeLisa 14 Oct 19, 2010 10:25 AM
Propogating Aucuba dave 17 Apr 25, 2008 8:36 PM
crepe myrtle venessa 54 Jul 1, 2008 4:11 AM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America