-
AuthorContent
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 5, 2012
11:42 AM

Post #9350547

When is the accepted time to start winter sowing veggies for a spring garden in zone 6?

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 18, 2012
2:48 AM

Post #9361194

So far as my experience has told me, the "accepted" time is when the deciduous trees in your area have finally shed ALL their leaves, then you know you TRULY have Winter, and it's safely time to winter sow. In a zone just a tad "warmer" than yours (6b, for example, not sure which "6" you're in), I would also suggest to not only watch for the leaf-fall on the deciduous tress, but ALSO for the official Winter Solstice. (just in case the leaf-fall comes prematurely due to other conditions/situations).

I hope this has helped you, and sorry it's so late!
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

December 18, 2012
4:56 AM

Post #9361234

The seeds will know when to germinate.
Some start at winter solstice.
Here in zone 3-----March is fine for veges.
Perennials which need stratification should probably be done by February here.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 18, 2012
7:53 AM

Post #9361364

Oh yes, CL, for you in your area, your timing will be very different than in a warmer zone, absolutely. The trick though is to not put some stuff out too soon, so-as to prevent them from germinating too soon, and causing the new tender little seedlings to freeze to death. < =/ Eeeeek! (been there, done that, it's no fun) :(
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

December 19, 2012
5:08 AM

Post #9362061

Yes, that can happen here too.
We get some warm Chinook winds,--- which can spur germination too early also.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 20, 2012
2:01 AM

Post #9362784

It can be really frustrating, huh? Especially when ya think "Aaaaaah, Winter at last, where are all my milk jugs? I'm ready to Winter Sowwww!! :)"... then that warm spell hits outta the blue, just long enough to trick some of the less sensitive seeds to germinate. It either takes ya right back to the jugging board, or leaves ya fretting about those
little ones until Spring. < =/

Ooops, I think we've lost our little CajuninKY!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9362922

I'm still here. Just trying to decide what to do.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 20, 2012
2:31 PM

Post #9363274

Well, whatever you decide to do, and when, be sure to have fun! :)
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9363454

I think I may do a bit of experimenting with the things I have lots of seeds of.
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 20, 2012
6:51 PM

Post #9363461

here in 9a winter sow did not work for me. They all sprouted too quickly or not at all. Now I have better luck with putting the seeds in the freezer and sowing indoors about 2 months before I want to plant. sometimes here the spring leaves push off the brown leaves from the year before. This is especially true for live oak. My maple tree hasn't even turned color yet and half the leaves are still on the Tallow treel. That is right now. With this wind we are getting, they will probably be all on the ground by tomorrow.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9363468

Down the bayou there are two seasons; green and dead. LOL

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2012
3:09 AM

Post #9363603

There's a gator season that fits in there somewhere too, no? =) I hear gator is really yummy; do you get to eat it? That's on my "Would Love To Try One Day" list.

One of the "biggies" to remember about winter sowing is that not all seeds are alike, and some won't necessarily do well with winter sowing in some zones, no matter what. In a warmer climate like yours, Steadycam, if you've got seeds that give you any indication at all that they'll need cold stratification, then, for you, they wouldn't work well winter sown, you have to do like you've been doing; throw 'em in the fridge or freezer for a while first. Those indications could be anything from actual instructions ("needs stratification", "needs pre-chilling", stuff like that), to the name of the flower/plant itself ("Siberian", "Mountain", "Desert"... names that indicate where they grow naturally and what those conditions are like).

Of course the reverse is true as well. Seeds that indicate a warmer clime, like ones with the word "African", would not necessarily work being winter sown in, say, a zone 3b.

Isn't nature cool!? =)
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #9363961

I am constantly amazed at our Mother (nature, that is). I think that is what makes gardening so much fun. There is hardly anything more exciting for me than waiting for seeds to come up!!! And waiting for fruit or veggies to form? Wow, better than TV any day.
RiverNymph
the Mountains, CO
(Zone 4a)

December 21, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #9364077

[quote="steadycam3"]I am constantly amazed at our Mother (nature, that is). I think that is what makes gardening so much fun. There is hardly anything more exciting for me than waiting for seeds to come up!!! And waiting for fruit or veggies to form? Wow, better than TV any day.[/quote]
I could not agree more with you on that one. We are all from the earth and being in tune with our planet through the beautiful act of gardening is a gift.

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2012
11:19 PM

Post #9364382

I love alligator.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2012
3:19 AM

Post #9364430

What sorts of ways do you cook yours? Not meaning to totally derail the whole point of the thread here, I'd also enjoy you keeping us posted on how your winter sowing adventures unfold as well. :)

Enjoying nature and working in/with it... sorta like language(s), there are always so many variables, always something new to learn, always something fun and different and exciting. (yeah, more so with nature than with language.. but, work with me here!) ;) I think it's the trillions of variances and suprises that keep me hooked. :)
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 22, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9364578

I like sauce picant. That's a red gravy. It's great fried too if it's a small gator.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America