AuthorContent
autumn_prepper
Northern Lake County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 6, 2012
4:04 AM

Post #9351091

I'm new to both and was wondering...
1. What kind of beans do you grow and dry for soups,stews and chili?
2. Can I grow medicinal,culinary and herbs for essential oils

Thanks

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 8, 2012
11:54 AM

Post #9353100

Kentucky wonder I most often grow , not a huge but a good producer, Takes lots of space in my little garden so upward and skyward on trellis they grow. I'm going to try some red runner beans this year, last years garden garden was a fail as of drought ,bugs, and me being unwilling to water.
Kentucky wonder are like the white dry beans in the store ,only they taste a little better as with most fruits and vegetables when you grow them.(ham&beans)
I use take a upside down pan lid and steam herbs for oils , distiller is better if you can get non- poison coil tubing .The pan lid drips back into a smaller jar or container inside the pan at low heat , pretty fair home made oil that way. Difficult to find a pan ready -go for that though as most have holders or lid pins that won't drip into a jar like the oils from steam should, Wide mouth jelly jars and upside down steel lid pin worked a-okay Kinda fun when interested it was as I recall. I will have to return to doing that sometime as I always enjoyed peppermint and lavender oils for different things,Thanks for reminding me!!! have fun!!!
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

December 9, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9353579

DD grew various beans for drying down in TN where the season is hotter and longer. Is our season long enough for growing drying beans?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2012
11:06 AM

Post #9353757

Easily if your good at it , maybe even two crops of them!! 52 through 68 days ?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 10, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9354498

I do a few herbs -- just because... they seem to do very well here.

I have a ton of "Fever Few" - grows like crazy and now I'm pulling out the volunteers as they self seed by the million... love the aroma - though have never used it as an herb... i just like the plant.

I'd think in our zone, you could grow just about any herb.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

December 10, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #9354803

Good to know about the beans in case I ever get enough room to grow them. :)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Upper Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Me Too! Great Forum idea! / Seed saving question caitlinsgarden 12 Jun 6, 2007 1:34 PM
Let's Plan a "TO-DO" Calendar! julie88 104 Jan 23, 2013 10:47 AM
Raggball ornaments raggedyann16142 8 Jun 6, 2007 1:39 PM
Organizing & Documenting *my* Seeds and Plant Info julie88 199 Mar 11, 2007 5:11 PM
ROAD TRIP to DUBUQUE and beyond ! Wandasflowers 93 Apr 8, 2007 12:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America