Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Landscaping: DJ"S SHARING GARDEN DESIGNS "WHAT TO GROW WHERE ???

Communities > Forums > Beginner Landscaping
bookmark
Forum: Beginner LandscapingReplies: 108, Views: 1,123
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 6, 2012
6:30 AM

Post #9351164

WELCOME Come share " Your garden 's BEST GROWERS " Tell us about the type of plants that Grow well for you .
Don't forget to share your ZONE That your Growing in .

To Start with I Would like to Get a few Ideas as to Revamp this Spot . as of right now there is DAYLILIES & MUM'S Planted all around the outside of this area
an old stump in the Middle also Variegated Ornamental Grass In the back with 6 Butterfly bushes also But nothing really in the middle of this area .

So looking for what you might think will grow here in this spot .

40X30 FULL SUN SO FAR THERE IS A TREE GROWING IN THERE
WOULD LIKE IT TO ATTRACT THE HUMMINGBIRD MOTH BACK AGAIN THIS YEAR :) BUTTERFLIES ,

Hope you will come share your IDEAS . our winter projects :)

Thumbnail by deejay9
Click the image for an enlarged view.

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 6, 2012
7:20 AM

Post #9351203

Saving a seat. Thanks for starting the thread, Susie.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 6, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9351213

I would make sure to plant flowers and plants that attract butterflys to the area. And I would love to have it be colorful with the flowers and plants with colorful, and interesting leaves
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 6, 2012
11:27 AM

Post #9351380

Saving my seat too :)

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 6, 2012
12:36 PM

Post #9351431

Hi...I'm here!!! LOL. Ok susie...Got some questions for ya...Is this garden to be viewed mainly from 1 side or as a destination to be walked around and viewed from all sides? It will make a difference as to where you should place the taller plant material. How tall do your butterfly bushes get and are they all the same color? (and are we talking about the late summer bush or the spring bloomers?

How close to the house is this garden? I do have a few great plants for attracting those Hawk Moths...and seed if you don't have. The Lunar moths are night seeking nectar freaks!! Lol. And one way to attract them is evening fragrance and long tubular flowers. The flowers I have seen them frequent most in my garden are: 1. Datura metaloides, they will start easily in the garden and can get to 3-4ftx3-4ft.. White flowers are large with fragrance in the evening thru the night. They will reseed insitu. 2. The Nicotianas are wonderful and my favs for attracting the moths. Just to let you know there are many to choose from, mine are the fragrant varieties... A) N. sylvestris, gets tall, topping out at 4-6ft, long flowers hang down, white only, I always have to start these indoors and have never had them start out, they need warmth and controlled conditions, I start mine in Feb or March under lights and they are worth it, rarely have I found them available in commerce as plants, believe me they are worth the effort. B) N. x sandersae (I have Heaven Scent and an all purple. Heaven Scent hangs down til early dusk and upright as the evening progresses and allowing the fragrance to exude and I'm telling you it's just yummy!!!!!!! The other one is Purple and newer to cultivation, it's flowers are more upright but again not fragrant til evening and all three continue til mid morning and sometimes on cloudy days. Both of the N. sandersaes will grow from seed thrown into the garden and will sprout when they are ready in the spring...I am including seed in the box when it gets to me for Datura m. and N. x sandersae Heaven
Scent and a few of the purple... Just to let you know there are a few others that are N. and fragrant...but those that are bought at most nurseries are the NON fragrant varieties!!!!!!! The reason I ask how close this garden is to the house is the fragrance that these flowers have, and it's wonderful to have an open window in the summer. Personally I have had a bench in the garden for night time so I can just sit and enjoy the show and such wonderful fragrances that permiate the evening...The more the merrier...This is one of my favs for filling in garden space as perenns. mature, So I have allowed them to reseed at will and are easy to edit out (pull).

Ok...So what is the tree? and did you put it there or seeded in? Gotta know how big it will get and if you'll have problems in the future with roots being a problem to dig in and around. What color's are the Daylilies? (are there any fulvas as they are root runners and multiply to the side with shoots popping up a foot away eventually making a large patch or are they true clumpers? What size are your mums (borders at 12-18" or the taller varieties? and colors?)

Do you like the English cottage effect? It's my personal favorite, garden bed is filled from front to back, no soil shows as all plant material eventually touches, this also helps to shade out weed seed from sprouting.

So far this is the best pix I have of the English Cottage effect, still waiting for a few plants to fill into each other and having mass color. I try to make sure I have taller in the back and shorter as it gets closer to the path. I also like to make sure I have some great all season bloomers. One of the best things about these long bloomers is instead of just deadheading your flowers you can actually get fresh bouquets the whole season. It also prevents that hacked look when you have to cut back a whole clump of flowers and then wait for weeks for it to begin rebooming. And when you only cut a few stems (from each plant) for the vase it's less noticable that any material has been removed at all...

Take this pix as an example...most all of the plant material is all season bloom, the exception is the Penstemon strictus (Rocky Mountain Blue) (here 3-5 plants), this plant blooms only in Juneish and then it's done,it get's cut back to only about 4-6" (unless I'm collecting seed and then the stalks are 30-36", and it does reseed (as many of you know whom I shared with in the trades or should I say will find out,lol, but again thats only if allowed). This is an area I might want to consider planting some annuals that will bush out and bloom after the P. is done. That way there is no gap but it's totally acceptable just to leave the tufts of P. and the green effect. Ideas could be some of the nicotiana or say maybe zinnias.

In front of that is a unopened catanche carulea (Cupids Dart) (I have blue and a straight white here in this spot), another all seasoon bloomer and a reseeder, but hasn't produced any babies yet, I'm hoping for a patch also. Clockwise to the left is Lavendula angustifolia (Munstead), another great all season bloom, here just beginning. Again several plants were placed 3-5. Continueing is Veronica spicata (Sight Seeing -Blue), a tall variety that I haven't seen offered as seed for a number of years (28", most only get 14-20"). It's another of my favs as it blooms blue and blooms early (late May -e. June) and blooms til frost. Center is a Malva (the pink, not sure which one, maybe Party Girl), at 30-36", another all season bloom, (This year I noticed a few babies that are going to be white, so editing will be necessary. Last fall I took out the reseeding wild sunfllowers and planted some Eupatorium m.(Joe Pye Weed) in the far back along with Aster Lady In Black which should get to 4 ft and the Eup 5-6ft. And a few accents of Campanula pyramidalis which get to 5ft and are biennial. The campanulas are rather narrow (6-8" wide)but will top out at 4-6ft, with blue hanging bell type flowers, and fit nicely inbetween other plants. Yet won't be missed when they are done blooming. Just a nice early summer verticle accent. One thing I could consider for later in the season would be a few of Lilium Chinese Trumpet lilies at 5-6ft (Easter lily fragrance). They would bloom later and add great visual interest along with wonderful fragrance. Dotted around in the back with the taller plants and would peek out, placing them in the back would help to hold them in place as they bloom. Or I could take some of the lilies from pix 2 and place them behind the Malva or to the side of the Daisies. I'm not trying to confuse you, just get you to look at the bigger picture and think about the bloom progression of plants you have available in your own garden... What you are trying to do is create little vinnetts (sp?) of flowers. a grouping of flowers that will let the eye flow from plant to plant, nothing jarring or would look out of place. To me the sunflowers did that, wrong color for the effect that I am trying to create with this area. but I will keep them somewhere else in the garden with the proper setting (reds, oranges and yellows). Remember these are my personal prefrences... Some people like mixing hot and cool colors together, just remember it will tend to make the eye move past them for something more comfortalbe and soothing to view if there are clashes going on. See, now that's another area of the garden I need to work on, a vinnette of the warmer colors that will then flow into another section of cooler colors. We can dicuss more ideas for that later.

So now susies must sit down at some point this winter, lol, like you have time... No, just sit down and do some daydreaming... what do you want to acheive...warm or cool, how far from the house is it...this can help in determining what colors to place in this section. Dark colored flowers will totally disappear (purples) when viewed from a distance, that why I was asking the color of the buddleias at the back of the border. If they are in fact purple could we add some lighter colored accent plants behind them so they can visually be seen from a distance. It may seem daunting but it's not as bad as you might think...thats also why I was asking what plant material is available, not just what's in there now, (can still D-mail me and I will draw something up for you if your interested in the Cottage effect). It might be just some regrouping or moving some things into this bed, that will help create that AHHH Wow that's Beautiful!! The main thing is that people fail to do is plant in groups, 3,5,7s. This will give a block affect and not a polka dot effect, (and I'm guilty of that one myself too, like I say I have much to do in my beds). It may take me YEARS to achieve what I want, but I have time...lol. I have the plants and now I just need to organize them in a way that is pleasing to me, after it's my garden!!! LOL!!! Just remember, There are rules for gardening...and if you don't like them just throw them out!!! lol. So I've rambled on enough for this post...geez lady are you done yet...lol...yes. For now... Just saying...food for thought.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 6, 2012
8:03 PM

Post #9351869

.Q : .Is this garden to be viewed mainly from 1 side or as a destination to be walked around and viewed from all sides? It will make a difference as to where you should place the taller plant material.

A Mostly will be Veiwed East to west as you drive in the driveway .

Q: How tall do your butterfly bush?
A: Each is a different color Lav, Blue, Honeycomb, & Pinkish

Q: what is the tree?
A: Oat : but small yet

Q: Type of DL's
A: NO fulvas

Q: What size are your mums
A (borders at 12-18" many colors )

Q:English Cottage effect ?
A: Yes Filled in full for the Birds & Butterfly friendly garden But also Spring to Fall BLOOMS

this garden is quite aways from the House so i will have to take my flashlight out for a nightly walk :))) I was hoping to maybe grow Lotsa
Nicotina, larkspur, Lupines, Zinnias, Clomes, Tall plants on the back side witch is the right side of pic:)

well it is late I just got home from a shopping spree with my friend my feet are tuckered out :))) as is my body :) I will try to
give more info as i can think better with my coffee in the morning but you have given me lots to think about.
susie
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

December 6, 2012
9:31 PM

Post #9351903

Wow! Kathy, lots of food!!! I've been waiting to see what you would say, and it's a doozie! You really covered a lot of ground (lol, oops, sorry, couldn't help it!).

Sooo.. I agree about the polka-dot effect. I've been guilty of that for years, but finally some things have multiplied enough for me to get a little substance from them, and I can start working toward more cohesion in the overall look. I also love the cottage effect, and it goes well with our house and surroundings.

Obviously annuals will keep going all summer, and many of the ones mentioned will reseed profusely- Cleome, nicotiana, larkspur, for instance. I love nicotianas especially, faves are N Langsdorfii (the green bells in Pic 4, a volunteer) and white Alata Fragrant Cloud,. Another favorite re-seeder is Verbena Bonariensis (with the butterfly), great later in the season and a good filler.

Perennials will give some stability to the design, you can use the volunteer annuals to fill in. How about phlox for the back? Wonderful color up until frost and no trouble.

Hummingbird moths love my Alliums (12"), among other things, and would look good with what's there already. They bloom later also, and spread themselves around nicely. I now have several clumps.

This message was edited Dec 7, 2012 4:55 AM

Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg   

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 7, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9352100

I Sure hope you ladies Are goingto be in the 2013 Plant swaps :))) I Love your Ideas :) so anything that is a reseeder can be planted right out side in the fall or even as winter sowed right ???
I Have lottsa Tall PHLOX so i can plant some down there Not sure why but i have tried to plant The ORANGE Phlox & I cannot get it to grow here in z5 any idea as to why ?

pam what is pic #2 ? & do you have any Nicotina seeds? I need some red Plants & I Love Dk Blues any ideas ?
well i have to go over to MOOSVILLE its a Little Dairy farm that makes all their own cheese, butter, Ice Cream , & Much more
but they are also haven a huge Craft sale Just cannot stay away from this one :))) .
have a great day everyone .

susie
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

December 7, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9352460

Pic2 is Verbena Bonariensis. I usually start some of my faves inside, then put them where I want them, then let them go to seed. They are easy to move around if you catch them early. But you could try just scratching the soil a little and sowing them now or in early spring and see what happens. I'm pretty sure I put some Nicotiana in your envie, and I know I put V Bonariensis in the robin. I think someone else did, too.

I haven't done larkspur before, but I've been reading up on it and plan to do it this year. They say to WS it, then plant out hunks of seedlings-HOS- the first couple of years, it takes while to get a good show, then eventually it comes back on its own.

Of course I'll be in the plant swaps! I need a lot more stuff!
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

December 8, 2012
4:20 AM

Post #9352804

Pic1 is the Allium last year.
For red, how about Monarda, Bee Balm? It makes a great splash of color for several weeks. You could put it near the tree, it wouldn't mind the shade as the tree grows. I have it toward the back, with Siberian Iris, a large Nepeta- great for blue, btw, and a self-sowing white achillea.

Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg      

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 8, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9352917

ty for sharing pam I do have a red Bee balm but it dose not see to grow very tall not sure why. forgive me for being away
a few things i have to get done this weekend so may not get on much but will try to get back here soon miss ya all .
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2012
5:09 AM

Post #9353475

Good Morning Ladies.

Susie - great thread

I too have problems with the polka dot effect. I am thinking some of my perennials should be big enough to divide into sections and replant. I am hoping for a more cohesive look.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9353522

WELCOME CAROLYN :
I Guess I should take some classes on gardening I Feel that I Have lead a sheltered life "POKE-A-DOT Gardening COHESIVE Look ???
My gardens are just a PLAIN JANE Gardens & I would Really like to Brighten them up SO I'm Hoping to Learn from all of you :)
Since I Do not have any SHADE Trees as of yet I Thought I Would Plant a few Castor beans This will make sone shade & Add a Tropical
Look to the garden & I can add a few Shade loving plants I want to add a few POLEMONIUMS but they like some Sade also I Have some ferns up in that garden & They die off early for there is no shade at all for them.

Well I 'm going to go into town for a bit ya all have a great day & I will try to get back in later.

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9353524

Good morning Susie... Maybe your Bee Balm would get taller with some shade, just a thought...mine survived for decades with no care in light-to-medium shade. I brought it forward into one bed, it needs regular watering in the hotter months. Didn't you say there's an Oak tree in the garden? Or near it? Eventually it will give you some shade, but I guess it will take a while, lol. But nothing good happens in a day, isn't that what they say? It's true about gardening, that's for sure!

Pic 1 is from 2007, the year I came to the garden. It's a wonderful spot, and although much serious gardening had been done there in the past, when I got there the beds were overgrown and overrun with all kinds of weeds and out-of-control perennials. The main list: Ferns, Raspberries, Tradescantia, Goldenrod, Bittersweet, a particularly pernicious vine called Apios Americana, and all the usual thugs: Jewelweed, Deer Tongue, grasses, Garlic Mustard, and lots more I can't remember or don't know the name of. And Ticks. The first year I found at least 1 every weekend, even 'suiting up' with socks, long sleeves and spray. Finally DH found 3 on himself at the same time, now we have a service come and spray regularly.

The garden is on a steep hill, terraced by stone retaining walls into 4 levels with a sleepy stream at the bottom. Pic shows Top and Middle Lawns. The long narrow section had just been cleared and replanted with a few shrub roses and not much else. Above are peonies and day lilies planted 30+- years ago by DH, who ran out of steam long before I came on the scene. Beyond the big box shrub are a Siberian Iris bed infested with many scourges, and below ditto minus the Sibs.
Pic 2, I made do with lots of Nasturtiums. Sometimes I think it never looked better!
Pic 3 is the Long Border, June-ish 2012. Getting closer all the time to the cottage effect I'm looking for. The top level had been cleared and left unplanted for a year while I fought some battles with invasives. The Sibs spent the year in pots, and I just replanted them last fall. This fall I added more peonies and spring/early bloomers in front of the Sibs, and will keep working to fill in front of them with longer/later flowering plants.
The deer nipped some essential color blocks, phlox especially, during a drought at the far end bottom level. Usually they leave me alone, but I've started spraying with Deer Fence just in case (ugh, stinky, but it works). The orange is Geum Totally Tangerine, a superstar for me. Farther down is Heuchera Coral Charm, another winner at this time of year, finally expanded enough to make a statement.
I've already done some re-arranging, will continue in the spring. In addition to other things, I see in this pic I need more blues coming up the border toward the camera!
Pic 4 the long view
Pic 5 later in the season, still missing the phlox :( The pink mound is Saponaria. This spring I put a peony grid up for it to grow through, which works great! Made it taller and not so floppy so it doesn't sprawl all over the plants in front of it. Makes it easy to shear off, too, after the first flush. Behind it, not blooming(!) are Phlox David's White, Laura (lavender) David's Lavender, Kathleen (lavender), a shorter white, and Tigerlilies, also gone for some reason, probably beetles.
My idea was to have lots of purple and blues to play off the Cotinus, and a pop of bright orange from the volunteer Tigerlily, but this year without the big flowers it fell flat. I think the original idea is too dark, anyway, even though there's quite a lot of white. I've added some more bright spots since then, also added some daylilies to the top level. I also have big plans for the spring. Next summer will show how that all works.
The Casablanca Lilies in the big barrel are about to bloom, Asiatic Centerfolds just going by. With them are a white Nicotiana (I thought it was alata, but the tags were mixed up and it turned out to be Sylvestris, too tall, too spindly, too late) and some Snapdragons (gone by), and I added a white non-vining Clematis, C integrifolia Alba, that I hope will hang 2-3' down the front of the barrel. The idea is all-season white flowers... A work in progress...

Edited to add info
This message was edited Dec 9, 2012 9:38 AM

This message was edited Dec 9, 2012 10:11 AM

Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2012
1:59 PM

Post #9353931

Carolyn...I think we all start out with the polka dot effect...lol. It's as the pallette expands that we decide that something like look fabulous planted next one of our other favs...Problems is when starting they are all favorites.. Or another I'm guilty of is...ooooh I like that plant, buy it, take it home and then, oh my, where am I going to put this? Lol. Will it get lost, or having to wait till it get's big enough to divide or get seed and grow more on so you can get to that point of mutiples...

I'm like Pam in a way...large area to cover, (my own choice tho). Here in pix 1, this is Valariana officinalis. Not really fitting into my scheme of things yet as a patch that will be coheasive...but I loved the fragrance of it...It's only a spring bloommer at 3-4ft ht. After it's done blooming it will get cut back to 12-14" ht and stay green the rest of the season. So my present dilema is do I plant it toward the front of the border cuz it blooms early or place it at the back of the border because of it's height? (and then have little tufts at the back making it look like there is a gap...).. So far, I've got most at the back and fill in with reseeding comos (waiting for larger perenns to grow up and out). But it still has not multiplied for me yet, (was 'spose to reseed and hasn't yet). Pix 2, lower right is the valariana in bloom, I left one at the front to I could smell it when passing by, but this coming spring will have to decide if it get's relagated to the back of the border as it will begin looking out of place with it's shorter neighboring plants. Or I could plant more in the multiple rule and make it a statement...wanting to see beyond this plant to the next area down the path... then when cut back I could seed in something thin enough (root wise) but may bush a bit to over lap the shorter foliage and yet not a large enough root mass to disturb the Valariana. Another reason for liking reseeding annuals...lol. My problems is I want as many blooms as possible going on at the same time...

So what will you be doing in your garden come spring, what are you going to be dividing? Tell us more...lol.

And Pam just love pix 2 wow that's alot of color!!!! I love the draping down effect that you've created...And have often wondered if that's how some of those English Cottage beds have been made, (the bed itself actually being taller in the back or it's just the right placement of plants... And Pam, do you not have any Iris or just not like them (german bearded?). And was wondering if you've tried growing Monarda Lambada yet since you like your monardas? It's in the lavender range and the flower is more teired, but it will bloom all summer and reseed too. ('spose to e hardy in z7 and south.) I love it and need to grow some this year, guess I better put that on my list of seed to get...lol. Hey did you ever eat any of your nasturtiums yet, suppose to have a peppery tatse to them, Monet had masses of them in his gardens at Giverney. Just beautiful!! And I just still marvel at that peachie Geum, I don't know why but my eye gets drawn to it every time I see one of your pix of it...Maybe cuz it's not screaming...LOL.

Pix 3. Here's another small vinette, (at my daughter's garden), here I was after contrasting foliages and I just love this combo...Sad to say she has had me rip it out as the Hops vine was not to her liking...but I am thinking I will be adding this one to my garden this year. Plants are Centranthus ruber (pink, heaviest bloom in the spring, cut back and will still bloom but not as thick), Geranium Rozanne which just blooms and blooms all season (it does need deadheading but can be done frequenty to keep heavy bloom coming) and The chartreuce (sp) is Hops vine aures (golden hops), if it were upright could get to 20 ft, but here has been allowed to sprawl and gets yanked on to keep it in bounds. Wasn't planned, cuz the vine was actually suppose to be attatched to the side of the house and grow upward but never put anything up for it to grow vertically...

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy      

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2012
2:46 PM

Post #9353970

Kathy Put me down for the White plant in Pic 2 & also a Hops vine for our trade in Spring :))))
& Pam add me to the list for some orange Geum Totally Tangerine, when it is ready to share :))))

well I know for a fact My list of new plants will be huge this next season guess I better save up for another tiller :)))
so Jim can help till up more garden spots :))))

thank you both for sharing your gardens they are so beauty full .
GN All got to lay back Movie time with the kids soon .
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2012
3:38 PM

Post #9354017

Susie - How are you?

Pam - Love the nasturtiums - nasturtiums some of my favorites.

Kathy - that is exactly what I do - either find a plant at the nursery and it is one of those "I have to have's" and cannot find a place to put it and yes, they are all my favorites! ^_^

I seemed to have a lot of different colors and I had thought I could both cool some of them down and pull the rest of them together if I added the blues. They didn't all pull together like I would have liked and I still am looking for that cohesiveness.

marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 9, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #9354056

This is the area that I will be landscaping. For now I'm moving the logs in place for the border and filling the area with leaves, wood chips and top soil. The third picture is the size of my garden in the front yard right now. It is full of iris, poenies and serveral roses. I'm moving the logs and will enclose the whole front yard and extend the garden from the side fence to the driveway.

Thumbnail by marti001   Thumbnail by marti001   Thumbnail by marti001      

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2012
8:30 PM

Post #9354228

Marti..how in the world do you dig under that tree...? Lol.. Wow...looks like your going to have bunches of room in which to play...Have you taught the munchkins they can't play in the new garden yet...lol...

Carolyn...yes blues, purples and white are the go betweens. Any of these look good with hot or cool colors and make transitioning much easier...from oranges and yellows to pinks and reds...

Sorry...I know now that I need to stand back and take more grouping pix of plants...guess I should remedy that this year. Pix 1 is an example of transitioning with blue...around my yellow centaurea I have oranges and other yellows, and blue would look great next to any of these...

pix 2 is an area I would like to work on this summer cuz after the babies breath (Gypsophila paniculata) is done blooming say late Juneish, I'm stuck with another hole as the BB gets cut back to 6-12"..not sure how much room there is to work with as the BB's have reseeded and would crowd any other plants...So this is a scene that needs some eyeballing to come up with solutions as it can be seen from two different paths. (The posts are there for many of my clems to grow on, (again more editing as the plants in the garden begin to fill their locations I can now move the clems to other spots for verticle statements within the border itself instead of holding areas where it was easier to keep them lavished with tlc..lol.) Do I have enough room at the back of the BB's to plant some late tall things...I will have to see, just behind is a vast quantity of Hesperis matronalis (lav/purple ,48", hundreds of plants) which is also done in early spring...so I have to figure out what I'm going to do in this area. But I diffinately need some late summer bloomers that are tall and in the cool range of colors...Could look at some more Joe-Pyes or if I could get mine to do there thing again is Boltonia asteroides (pink gets 5ftX5ft, white gets 4ftx4ft and both have thousands of 11/2" aster flowers from mid July til frost). They would be billowing outward and might cover some of the shorter BB's mounds.

Pix 3&4..this is an instance where the gold/yellow Rudbeckia is out of place with the other flowers around it..Pix 3 is at the back of the border, pix 4 is in front...so most of this flower bed are lavs., purples, blues and pinks. That one plant is throwing off the whole scene and makes it clash, but I do like the echoing of the pinks, they are pretty darn close to being the same shade...and to the side not showing is Centranthus ruber which is a deeper pink.

Pix 5 here a combo that is happenstance...I already had the pink Gypsophila repens there (6-9"), and just threw in the Caliroe i. (4-6"ht, magenta) cuz there was an open spot at the end of the season for one of those impulse buys...hmmm thinking I like this, just wanna add more to what surrounds both... I planted some things around it this fall but darned if I can remembere what...lol...

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2012
8:41 PM

Post #9354234

Good for you, Marti. I love the size of your new garden. Just follow Kathy's lead (mine too, I guess, lol) and plant, plant, plant, and soon you'll have a yard full of color! At first it seems like it will take forever, then one day, voila! It suddenly starts looking like something.

I guess we're all guilty of impulse buying- I'm worse on line even than in the nurseries because I don't have DH telling me we'll never get all that in the car. I tell him I've always been able to get any plants I wanted into whatever car I wanted to get them in, and have done it in front of him, but he still can't believe it. Then I get it all home, or get it all delivered, and then either can't remember where I thought I would plant it all, or decide that the place isn't really right after all. I also hate trying plants out and finding they don't like me, or vice versa, so I don't want to invest in quantity until I've grown things for a while and see what they do. Hence, polka dots.

Kathy, I had the same problem with Penstemon Husker's Red that you had with the valerian. The first year it was just this gorgeous red foliage, and I made a wonderful vignette with Dianthus Arctic Fire, Heuchera Coral Charm and red roses. Then it bloomed tall and gorgeous, but it completely blocked the roses. Once it went by I cut it back, but still thought it was too big and finally ended up moving it back. Pics 1, 3 & 4

Pic 2 is a nice clump of Saponaria. Beyond it is a nepeta and a Boltonia that work well, and behind is Phlox David's Lavender and P Katherine, also good. But on this side, between the red roses and it, I need to figure out what I'm doing. I like the Veronica Sunny Border Blue there, and now I've put a bunch of blue Platycodons nestled in behind it, so lots pink and blue. Then I last year I had Echinacea White Swan, a tall white Veronica and Ammi Majus which made a nice vignette together, then the red roses. The overall was very patriotic, red white and blue. Ugh! Way too bright and contrasty! The whites would look better farther down toward the middle, but I need to find a way to make the bright blues fit in there. What would calm it down? The P Huskers red is now between the phlox and the red roses along the back in front of the wall, along with a small clump of white phlox. I'm thinking maybe soft pinks, maybe some green... N Langsdorfii, Echinacea Green Jewel, Dianthus Loveliness, that sort of thing?

Or I could move the Platys, maybe to the top level. I'll have the same red/blue problem because of the Monarda but at least they are not in full bloom at the same time.

Pic 5 is an noid iris that has been here for years, the only one. I've acquired a few new ones, but no flowers yet. I'm planning to put more TBI's on the top level to bloom with the Sibs and Peonies. The lower bed has a few spring bloomers but for the most part violets, JJ's, and Forget-me-nots cover the ground until the perennials begin to wake up.

This message was edited Dec 10, 2012 12:11 AM

Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2012
9:29 PM

Post #9354265

Hey pam..is your Saponaria officinalis (Bouncing Bet or Betty,3ft) standing tall on it's own? I have some I planted at my daughter's garden, it's on the north side and is rather floppy and a lighter pink. I did dig and potted up about 20 plants... am thinking I might try to find somewhere in the backyard where they can run where they want amongst the shrubs. And do you like the fragrance? I sure do!!! Pepppery sweet is all I can come up with to describe it.

Ohhhh yuck, weatherman just said -2 tonight...yikes 'puter is showing -6 now...

Hey, I think I have that Iris..lol Might be pix #1 or #4, if not is probably another I have..lol...I'm thinking the wrong person is offering the Iris here...what color you want...I might just have it...Pix 2 &3 (pix taken from opposite ends of this 4ftx150ft long border) a new border put in last fall. Also all my newbies put in the back just a few weeks ago (180 ish total). And then there's all those already in the border and another garden room that I'm still working on...lol See what I meant that the wrong person is offering... LOL!!!! Pix 5.. I know is out of focus, sorry have to blame on new camera phone..lol. And the offer of Iris will extend to any interested!!!! And you to Susie... I will try to get better records to those with or without names and if I can pix of each...and get a location map going...atleast that's my hope.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2012
9:51 PM

Post #9354275

Kathy, we cross posted... I think my iris is slightly different, but certainly very similar. And sure, I'd love some more colors! How did you get so many?! In fact, how did you get so many plants?! Yikes! You couldn't have been collecting for too long, you have those other big areas full too. It takes me forever to get any real volume. I have a million seedlings every spring, but they take a while to get going, and most perennials are a year or two before they get to a decent size.

This spring I put a peony grid over the Saponaria and let it grow up through it. No more flopping over and smothering the plants in front, and it's a breeze to shear after the first big flush.

I like your Aster idea for filling in after the gypsophila goes by. What about adding lilies? You could put the bulbs right in the BB patch. It would be long gone by the time they do their thing. Also, what about carving out a few spots in front of the Hesperus for tall phlox? That would keep the color going over the season.

In your previous post, Pic 4, what is the low-growing pink? It's lovely. And which pale pink Echinacea is that in Pic 3 with the Rudbeckia? Have you had it for a while? Is it hardy, does it grow well?

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2012
9:56 PM

Post #9354277

ooops 1 & 4 are the same, sorry, had to enlarge to see, anyway this one is I. palida an oldie, and smells like grape pop I swear...lol..

Pix 1&3 are german bearded
Pix 2&4&5 are I. setosa I believe... Gosh willl have to look..lol...they are newer for me and gotten from Boatnic gardens in Denver...

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2012
10:23 PM

Post #9354281

Yup cross posting again...lol.. I'd love to put in some lillies..in fact I do have one trumpet in that location but haven't seen it bloom in atleast 3 years, I get a bud and the deer come in and snatch it just as it's about to open...zijdiushirheith vie5tvs ruiheih rth...lol.

Yes was thinking of Phlox paniculata (or even the magenta color that youv'e been ripping out..lol...(hint hint)...At the other end of this border (same side) I just finished planting something like 20-30, 1 sprout divisions of P. p. David which is white...

Pix 4 above is Origanum rotundifolium "Kent's Beauty", isn't it neat? and to the right side is Geranium Rozanne.

Pix 3 is a double topped variety, can't remember the name..not all of them double tho...Especially first year seedlings...I made sure to put plenty of seed down as I'm hoping for babies that will end up here and???? lol. Yes love the echies...also have a yellow one I wanna increase too. Paradoxa, and tennesseensis I believe..I grew from seed. Pix is tennesseeensis and yes grows wild in the east. Sorry no pix of the yellow and I believe I let the seed drop this fall..Also have E. p. alba. If you are having problems with the echies try adding some coarse sand to the planting hole as they like that mix, and shouldn't rot out...

pix2 is the back side of the above bouquet, littlle better in focus tho not much..lol.

steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 9, 2012
11:57 PM

Post #9354290

One way to avoid the polka dot effect is to plant in drifts instead of clumps.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2012
1:32 AM

Post #9354299

Cam that is very true and something I learned after I put my larger bed in.

I do have vignettes - some of them were on purpose and some were not.

Susie - are you looking for smaller vignettes within your overall garden?

marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 10, 2012
4:15 AM

Post #9354354

Those maples are why I have to build up the bed with leaves, wood chips and top soil. Wish I could afford to have several dump trucks full of top soil. That would really help me. The wood chips I'm using have been here since 2010 and are well broke down. Plus as I move them into the garden area, I collect a few BIG worms for fishing. LOL
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9354395

I do love the magenta phlox, just not everywhere. It had spread itself all over the place, along with white and various shades of pink, one of which looks just like Bright Eyes. At some point I found out magenta is the color it reverts to over time, and I decided to keep it out of the main section. I think it will look great in a section lower down where there are some tall grasses and I plan to put sunflowers and other less formal plants.

This message was edited Dec 10, 2012 8:35 AM
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9354451

This is the rest of the view from the house, the Lower and Bottom Lawns. I'd like it to have a less cultivated feeling and be very low maintenance. Last fall we cleared away masses of weeds, and greatly reduced a very overgrown Climbing Hydrangea. Sorry I loaded one wrong pic, I meant to show the Azalea it had swamped when it bloomed just at the tips, a gorgeous coral color. After the flowers faded I cut it way back and it sprouted like mad. I don't know if we'll get flowers next yar, I didn't see buds this fall, but after that it should be great. We also uncovered a secret staircase. This spring the cleared area near the tall grasses was full of Hesperis, Dame's Rocket, and beautiful. Unfortunately I didn't get back to the section in time and by fall it was a mess again. Oh well, another project for spring.

This message was edited Dec 10, 2012 9:26 AM

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9354481

Pic1, the Azalea blooming, 2007.
Pic2, the tall grasses blooming that fall. The bright yellow next to them is mostly goldenrod. That's where I want to keep the magenta phlox and add sunflowers, among other things. On the left at the lower edge of the pic is the Falling Down Wall. I've been busy there, too.
Pic3, the naked Azalea in bloom 2012.
Pic4, the Falling Down Wall this summer. The deer nipped the big hostas at the bottom next to the giant Rhodie.
Pic4, from the house 2011

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 10, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9354508

YOU GAL 's Have BLOWN Me out of the gardens :) Most of what I Have are DL's & Irises & I Need the fillers that you all have
Pam I Had the Boltonia One year but then I had my Brother helping me with the garden & he thought it was a tall weed pulled it out
It went to a burn pile . I would love more :)
& Kathy I Didn't Know you had the German type Irises I would love to trade DL's OR DWARF IRSES for some :)
also what is the plant in Pic 4 Post #9354228 I need some white That gets about 12-14 " tall.

So many Ideas More to add to my shopping list ty Ladies keep this up :)
welcome cam Been awhile good to have you watching us :)))

as soon as the seed robin comes back & I get my seeds That you all have shared with me i'm going to start my winter sowing & sure I will need your help. I'm still learning much & You would think i would know allot already but Not I still lot getting great Tips from you all .

will I have to make a few calls so ya all have a great day back later

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9355075

Just to touch on the subject of tree roots momentarily.
Susie..your oak tree should be ok to grow things under, except that garden in years will become more of a shade garden. Then you'll be able to grow those ferns mch easier and other shade lovers too.. The Polemoniums, Dicentras (Bleeding Hearts), Astilbes, many of the perenns such as Geraiums like also, Trilliums, Tiarellas and on and on...lol. And Susie...gosh I thought you didn't want any TBIs... I'd love to share some with you...you were SOOO generous to me this summer with the dwarfs...Just say the word this spring and will wisk them off to you!!!!!!
Now do you want one of each? LOL. I know I got some of the TBIs from you also along with the dwarfs...hope I keep my tags straight... You know in a few years they will be coming out of my ears...I can hardly wait...lol!!!!!!! I wanna do 1 whole room as a spring bloom of perenns, then the room will have annual for the rest of the season, and will be outlined in Spiarea Bridal Wreath Srubs, am thinking about 12 should do it (6 each side), already have just not planted in there yet. So far I'm planning on Iris TBs, Peonies, Centranthus, spring blooming Dianthus. This is still in the planning stages, one of my to do rooms this comming spring. Still planning what to put in, will reveal as I progress... Most peonies and Iris are already planted, along with a bunch of w**ds...yuck.

Marti...not sure if you wanna hear this...lol. Maples can be a problem to grow things under...They notoriously have shallow trees roots that are also very numerous and fiborous. And careful, sometimes when tree roots are nicked or damaged they can cause suckers to sprout, and tree roots expand as far out as the canopy is located, (drip line). So be careful about planning your new garden...

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 10, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #9355121

I know that I've had problems digging under these trees. I wish I could afford to remove them completely. I have 5 on the property. I'm hoping to get at least 2 of them cut down this next year. Til then I am making raised bed under them.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 11, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #9355416

Yes Kathy just like the ones in Pic 2-4-5 Post #9354277 & If you have any TB Reds or Orange I Have Mostly Blues & Pinks & Purples .

Not sure why but my brain just don't want to work this morning , I have to work on a couple projects , will try to get back in later today .
Marti : you might be better off if you build a few raised beds out away from the trunks of the trees . & Not dig down into the grown
susie

Pic 1 16X8 x12 cost $86.
Pic 2 Made of Logs from woods FREE
Pic 3 8x8x12 cost $less then $60.
Pic 5 is my strawberry bed 16x4x12 Less then $50

Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9

czimmerman00
Elk Horn, KY

December 11, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9355444

This is a pic of my gardening space. The trees are black walnut. Daylilies seem to get huge under it! Am planning to fill the whole area cottage garden style & just have paths through it..
please excuse the cockleburrs & other weeds behind the fence!

This message was edited Dec 11, 2012 10:07 AM

Thumbnail by czimmerman00

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

December 11, 2012
10:24 AM

Post #9355607

How cool- and very surprising- that daylilies like it under the walnut trees! They put out a chemical, juglone, which discourages a lot of plant growth. It will be ingesting to see what does well near the tree. I once had one (elsewhere) and got lots of stuff to do well. But some things will prefer some distance from it. I don't remember specifics, sorry...

Deejay, lots of great beds! I was wondering where you put all those plants you get seeds from, and where you plant all the seeds you get!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 11, 2012
12:52 PM

Post #9355714

Ya Pam..me to. Looks like Susies got lots of space to fill yet...lol.

Yup have read the same on wlnuts, especially the black walnut...I know there are lists of plants that will grow under them, I've read articles but it's been years.. Cz...if your looking for other plants that can tolerate the trees, google 'Fine Gardening', 'Horticulture' and 'Organic Gardening' magazines to begin with. I'm quite sure they will have some info on which plants can tollerate the juglone chemical emitted from the Blk W. And oh I must say I AM envious, my most favorite od ALLLLL the nuts. Yum!!!! Do you get any or just the squirrels? lol. I seriously considered planting some and still might but it would be 20 years to first crop...Geeze long time... When I was a kid in the midwest, we would drive to a certain location every fall with my grandmother to collect them from the ditches next to the road. They have an aquirred taste but I just love them, and are perfect for homemade dark chocholate fudge... LOL...

So susie, just to let you know those Iris are short and only get to about 18-24", and bloom about the same time as the TBI also... Gosh only just put orange in this last year, maybe two or three, willl have to see how they increase for sharring. Now the ones they call red are almost a brown in coloring and do have a few but will have to locate...For true red you would need the Louisiana type Iris and I don't have any of those YET...lol. Ya I know ..it's on the want list...
I do have several in the peach range tho...Here's some more...lol...

Ok gotta go for the day..will be back wed or maybe not til thurs...you gals have a good one..

czimmerman00
Elk Horn, KY

December 11, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #9355738

Kathy
yes we actually get lots of nuts from the trees! Guess it helps having a big dog that likes to chase squirrels:) but once in a while he does go through my flowers too:( wish he would chase the chipmunks & other burrowing animals... ill send you a baby walnut tree in spring if you want one! Lol! Always some sprouting among the flowers:)

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 12, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9356827

Cz...oh..I'd love some. Only 19 years and counting. LOL. What other goodies you planninng on putting in? We should do a trade come spring, you will have to let me know what you want also...

Pam...I am sorry . I read your post above and totally missed your question until I reread. Gosh, what was I thinking? Any way ref. what to move, I personally would leave the platys. since they give contrast in foliage and flower form. If you leave both of the veronicas, notice they are both spike flowers. It would be better if they were the same color. What color is the rose? (red and if red is it a blue red or a orange red?) If a blue/red how 'bout adding something in the pink range (soft tho), say a mounding type of plant. A geranium, could even look at the shorter pink scabiosas, more variation in flower bloom and foliage. A few others to consider: Delphium grandiflora (comes in pink, lt lavender and several shades of blue (bloom all summer 12-18"), a Dianthus in scarlet, or X loveliness in pinks or reds, 12-18", I could sent some gypsophila repens(pink,6-12", Juneish and if cut back more sporadic later, Oooh, I've got one...the purple or lavender osteospurmum (12-18" all season). Do you have any seed for papaver rhoeas?(Angels Choir or Cedric Morris). There are several colors in the range that would help to tie it together, I would stick with one or two colors in the range, remember the eye needs to rest a bit, rougue out any in the orange range if your rose is in the red/blue range..does that make sense to you? Just need to add something to tone down the in your face contrast (lol). Could even move the white completely out of the scene as it's truely not needed as a go-between to tone down the hot of the red. The blues and lavenders do that. Also I have Penstemon xmexicalii Red Rocks (pix below).

Are both of your veronicas rather young? It doesn't appear as there are that many blooms, if so it might help to look at it again this spring as the plants will have filled out more and giving a more solid block of color. When mature they should probably filll out to 12-18" at the base (ground). Mine in pix 2 are at 28"^x18-20">. ( have plenty to share).

Does that give you a few ideas to think about? Maybe not any of my ideas are the solution...the point is you get to think about it and maybe come up with one of those AHHA I got it, I'll plant =====.

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

December 12, 2012
9:17 PM

Post #9356960

Thanks for all the suggestions! I agree about too many spikes. Some of the pics are deceptive and I don't have any from early August until mid September because we were away., so missed the peak for a lot of things.
The SBB Veronica is quite established, I've been working on that for quite a while. The white vignette-Echie, Ammi, Veronica- will be moved out early spring to another area where they should shine. The Echi and Veronica are new-ish. Both broke quite a lot when I was planting them, and all the bits rooted, so net year there should be a better display.

I like the idea of using soft pinks and pinky lavenders to soften the contrast with the red. They will echo the Phlox, Saponaria, lavender Boltonia and a few other things.

Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg      

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

December 12, 2012
9:27 PM

Post #9356964

Pic 1 is Veronica Icicle and Echinacea White Swan.
Pic 2 The Cephalaria (formerly referred to as Knautia) is moved. I think the whites will look good in this area, maybe behind the Stachys. You can see a white Platycodon on the far right.

I guess I never took a picture showing the red, white and blue together because I hated the way it looked.

This message was edited Dec 13, 2012 12:29 AM

Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg         

marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 13, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9357054

I still have black walnut trees sprouting here also. I brought home some walnuts from a friends, but before I could get them shelled the squirrels found them and now I've got baby black walnut trees. Last year I sent about 25 of them to someone, but I still have more. Darn Squirrels!!
czimmerman00
Elk Horn, KY

December 13, 2012
5:59 AM

Post #9357072

Kathy
that would be fun setting up a spring trade!

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 13, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #9357469

Marti, I have the same problem with Black Walnuts! We have a wonderful, mature tree on our property and those darned squirrels just LOVE to 'plant' their nuts in my mulched beds. I generally leave the saplings for one year and then dig them up in late spring and give them away. I did leave one to grow because it was about 3 feet from where we lost a tree a couple of years ago. I figure it'll take forever to grow very big, but will add value to our property when we sell it in a decade or so.

I'm so completely overwhelmed with my yard that I cannot even begin to contemplate where to start. Red sorrel took over one of my planting beds so I'm planning to pull up all of the perennials in the bed (only about 10, and only about 2 years old) and kill the bed off for the first half of the summer. I dunno if that will help, but we'll see. The veggie garden will be pretty simple because I grow so few varieties. That's just a matter of getting the old stuff out and turning and feeding the beds. The rest of the lot is just a wreck. I'll hit you guys up for ideas after the holiday!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 13, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9357678

Talk about overwhelming, I started with nothing but feilds...lol. Wasn't even reclaimed farm land just feild of wild...grasses flowers and w**ds.

Pix 2: uncultivated feild, all wild
Pix 1: plowed all of 1 acre that was looking like pix2
Pix 3: after rerototilling and before total planting, look at bottom of pix, is where new Iris bed is located (2010)
Pix 4: bottom is same as 3, finally got the Iris in 2011 but look at the grasses to the right, yup...they're back!!!! I'm thinking I ready for round-up this next year...except in areas that are open field, rerotilling, again and again...for a while I did a great job of keeping it clear. Had put what was not in the border in rows. Beds were 4ft wide and 25-50ft. Planted all my seedlings here til I needed them in the main border. Still even have some out there in that mess... Did dig out a hundred or so iris, most now at bottom of pix 4. I'm ready to get restarted on the areas behind the main border again. I am winning tho. I've got hundreds of perenns and shrubs that didn't make it into borders this years ready to go in these new locations next year. Now I have to do it...I already have most of the shrubs (lined out in between lilacs in the backyard now...God, I love sales...lol.

And yes to those trading their Black Walnuts, am thinking I can find something out there to trade...lol. cz...absolutely!!! lol.
Pix 5: the oldest section of the garden and most filled in, but will eventually look similar for all 45ftX100ft of my English Cottage Border.

Yup Pam...if you hate it it's time...Lol...It's yours and only you are the one to be satisfied...not the neighbors not hubby, just you...lol. Now you are the ARTIST. It's just like a canvas, only your working on a larger scale than most artists. And you get to arrange it and rearrange it to your HEARTS content...Isn't it fun...Have one suggestion for you in that group of whites...Have you enough blues to put to the side...I have a great go between plant...It's Veronica gentianoides. V.g. is an almost white...it's actually iceblue. I need to get that one again and if interested I have a bunch of this I could share...(I love it but it's only a spring bloomer but look at that color saturation. (see below).

This message was edited Dec 13, 2012 7:51 PM

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 13, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9357686

Pix1: Veronica austriaca, it does reseed and tends to spread a bit, but so far it's a winner!! Clump is 14-18"^x12-14>.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 13, 2012
7:19 PM

Post #9357713

evening all sorry for being away just lots of things going on right now anyone going out to watch the SKY LIGHTS ??? Not me has been a long day & I Just got home so off to get rested :) as soon as i check my mail & Forums
Nice Pic's one more day of sunshine then Rain Moving in .

ya all have a great eve back tomorrow
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

December 13, 2012
9:22 PM

Post #9357764

Kathy, it's amazing what you've managed to do! You're really taking over the prairie! As for the grasses... For at least 3 of the 6 years I've been working on this garden, I killed more than I planted, went through a lot of Roundup. This year for the first time I only did a little here and there. In 2009 I took no garden pictures at all, too depressing. Too many bare spots in some beds, too many weeds in others, dead and dying plants in the rest, certainly not photogenic! Didn't even realize how I felt about it until I started organizing the pictures I had into years, seasons and areas so I could keep track of what I'd been doing, and found there were none at all from that year. Of course now I wish I had a more complete record, like you have. You are really documenting every step of the way.

When I was just getting hooked on gardening in the early 80's and reading all the English gardening gurus, I went to see Christopher Lloyd at the NY Botanical Garden on his first trip to the US. This is the most important thing I took away with me:
He said if a plant bothers you in the garden for any reason- sickly, clashes, or you'd like something else better there, you shouldn't feel guilty about getting rid of it. Every time you look at it you'll hope it dies, maybe you'll forget to water or feed it or weed around it and hate yourself for not being a good gardener. But if you just pull it out and put what you want in that spot, the other plant will be completely forgotten and you'll be happy every time you look on the pretty picture you made. In my case it's more about re- arranging than tossing, but it amounts to the same thing.

Pic 1 is the way it looked when I left it this fall. The little platys have no foliage left on them at all. Last year I thought I killed one moving it but stuck it in the ground anyway, and it was gorgeous. Amazing.
Pic 2 is the only one I didn't delete, showing the red and blue. The whites in font of the roses haven't kicked in yet.

That Veronica is beeeeyuutiful! And yes, I have room for it. There's tons of room on the upper level, it can seed itself all it wants, and a haze of that color up there would be perfect to marry all my other blues and purples.

I just love Veronicas! I have another couple of beauties for you, V incana Pure Silver H:12-15" W 12," and V longifolia Evelyn, H: 20". W: 12-16"

Next post...

Edited for clarity

This message was edited Dec 14, 2012 1:12 AM

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

December 13, 2012
10:06 PM

Post #9357785

Pics 1-3 Veronica Incana Pure Silver blooming for 2 months (I did deadhead). It might have gone longer, but we were away from right after the last pic and didn't get back until 6 weeks later. I'll find out next year. I got 1 5" plant from Lazy S spring of 2011 and divided it into little pieces in the fall. This fall I divided it again and spread it around some more.

Pic 4 is V longifolia Evelyn, another winner I've only had since fall of 2011, that also seemed to always be in bloom. I think there may be seeds of that one in the robin.

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

December 13, 2012
10:16 PM

Post #9357790

Lanakila, don't be discouraged... I think we've all been there... Roundup does wonders, trades and sales are great, before you know it you'll have a completely different picture to look at!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 14, 2012
12:50 AM

Post #9357814

OOOOOOH, I love that Evelyn, nice color, what's the height? I also have a light pink that just seeded in from the sight seeing blue. Origional seed was a mix of blue, white, and pink. My daughter has 1 white, I need to get it divided...lol. Yes Pam, it has been a challenge at times but I just dig in (punn intended, tee hee). I new I wanted a long border and that's where I started.

Lanakila..and plants too..lol. I'm waving my hand for those B. Walnuts...lol...Me..I will trade for them!!!! Ya, I may have to pull plants from my spring border that I had started, atleast part of it...Last year I attempted just pulling them but only got it done once last year and here comes those darn grasses. think I'll leave some but have some goodies that reseeded them in and I wannna keep'em. (Salvia turkestanicas which are biennals and should bloom next season at 4-6ft^ x 4ft>, so will have to get to them early!)

Probably should get to bed as it's late, been working on my seeds. Trying to take inventory so I can figure out what I will be starting. Finally decided I would organize and make an index card (bought 600..yikes) on each seed variety that I have and include growing tips, germination info and such..will be writing them in a notebook as I begin seed, that one will contain when seeded and actual germination time and potting on dates. Only 41 done so far, and I have many, many more to go(hundreds probably)...I got in on that rare seed trade earlier in the fall and DJ's hasn't even gotten to me , plus ALL those I been buying or collecting... I'm thinking I'll be doing scads of Annuals this year to do some filling in between those new shrubs. I'd rather have flowers than w**ds to take care of til those shrubs grow up...(years). Hey Pam, that Nicotiana langdorfii says 3-5ft, how big did it get for you? Ok, back later...Kathy

Pix: would love to grow more of this one...it's Papaver somniferum Laruen's grape, was there any seed in the box of this? And was there any seed for Monarda Lambada in the box...if not will have to buy...Gads!!!! LOL...

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

December 14, 2012
3:19 AM

Post #9357836

Evelyn gets to 20," she's a beauty. Langsdorfii is about 3' for me I think, maybe a little more. That, Verbena Bonariensis and Sweet Alyssum are my go-to quick fillers. I also like calif poppies, lobelia, cosmos, Cleome. This year trying larkspur, nigella, maybe a few more...
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

December 14, 2012
3:23 AM

Post #9357839

Since I got my iPad it's been easy to keep records on it, backed up to the PC. I have spreadsheets, a journal, and extensive files on individual plants, resources, cultivation tips, etc. it's really helpful!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 14, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9357903

you ladies are up early or hadn't went to bed :) sorry this pass week has been busy for me with friends ok I have these seeds that were just boughten & Some were given to me so now can you all tell me if I

should start now or wait .
PLANT RIGHT WHERE i WANT THEM OR WINTER SOW THEM IN CONTAINERS ?

BOTTLE GENTIAN --GENTIANA ANDREWSII & G.FLAVIDA
COLUMBINE 'S
POPPIES
GODETIA--SALMON & SCARLET
COREOPSIS DWARF RED
BABY BREATH ---RED
CALENDULA ---MIX COLORS
ROCKET LARKSPUR
FOXGLOVES---EXCELSIOR
BACHELOR BUTTON----RED
ROSE MALLOW
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 14, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #9358032

My garden remodel is going to slow down alot. I go in on Jan 15th for MRI's of both my shoulders as they think I've torn the rotator cuff in both shoulders. DARN!!!!
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 14, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #9358061

Deejay, if you go to swallowtail seed gardens look at each flower seed packet for sale. At the bottom of the page, it will tell you how to sow the seeds. this has been a life saver for me. Hope it works for you.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 14, 2012
3:44 PM

Post #9358364

Susuie..Have only just collected seed from my Gentain, so no experience yet, this year tho..
Aquilegia...some start them out but have never seen that much in reseeding so I always start indorrs under lights and get great germination (almost 100%).
Poppies...which Annual, Biennial or perenns? Again personally I start them indoors when seed is bought as I wanna make sure I get babiies... I have thrown seed for my perenns in the garden and gotten some babies, tho % is probably small.
Godetia. never tried
Gypsophila red..what is that an annual BB. Again I start inside. Have had some of the perenns start in the garden from seed drop..Have also grown the annual type, started inside and 2nd year had some reseed
Calendula never grown yet tho have seed
Larkspur..started first year in and have found that they reseed wonderfully insitu
Digitalis (foxglove) have stared mine in and have several new varieties this year, am looking forward to Pam's Split a newbie (B), Mountain mix, and regular purpurea. My little perennial one 18" has never reseeded in the garden yet, but the bienns are 'spose to be good at that..I'm ready..LOL.
Centraurea cyans (bach. buttons), again started in, but did throw a bunch of seed this fall from the black one I grew this summer, 'spose to seed in easily, fingers crossed
Lavatera (rose mallow) Started in under lights, now am finding they (Party Girl) starting to reseed. I also have 4 new ones this year, Silver Cup, Loveliness mix, Pink Blush and Ruby Regis. I want some TALLLL ones tho.
Yup Pam trying Nigella here too, need to get some of that verbena from the swap tho...got Cleome seed will try starting out this spring...even wrote it on the calender for the first part of April...

Pix is Gentain..sorry can't remember which one tho...It's a beautiful BLUE tho.

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

December 14, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9358504

Calendula is easy, comes like Zinnias. I start it inside under lights. Supposedly it reseeds but I've never gotten any volunteers.
I'm trying Pam's Split this year too, looks interesting. I have white ones that come back, also the generic pinky ones, love them all. if I do it early, will it bloom this year?
My perennial foxglove, digitalis grandiflora, spreads itself around generously. I've given tons of it away already, just love it.
If there's no Vernbena Bonariensis in the robin, let me know. I may have some extra, not sure yet.
I've had no luck WS columbines. Kathy, do you chill the seeds or do anything else to break dormancy? Does anone else have experience?

Marti, what a bummer! I've had shoulder problems, no fun. Good luck on the 15th!
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 14, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9358525

[quote="marti001"]My garden remodel is going to slow down alot. I go in on Jan 15th for MRI's of both my shoulders as they think I've torn the rotator cuff in both shoulders. DARN!!!!
[/quote]

Marti ~ I have had a rotator cuff replacement. Try to avoid that one, if you can! (OUCH!!)

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 14, 2012
8:17 PM

Post #9358604

Pam I got seed from T&M.com. Packet says: "An early sowing will occasionally produce flowers in the same year."
And remember me for some of those grandifloras...I have a true perennial form will have to look up as to which, I should remember..lol. 18", June, pink. Yup just looked up is grandiflora. book showas a white too tho shorter at 8-10". Never reseeded in the garden for me tho, clump is getting bigger, probably should divide so I have a few plants.

Marti...you will have the time to recoup this winter and ready for spring...good wishes! Have you thought of trying Accupuncture. I've had great success with it for many things...and alot less $$$$..

Pam, I've only seen a few reseeded Columbine in my daughter's garden. I used to give them the cold treatment. Then 1 winter I forgot and decided to try anyhow and got great results...if they don't germinate can still give cold treatment then bring into warmth if need be.

marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 15, 2012
4:17 AM

Post #9358721

I have tried just about everything with my shoulders, including trying to give them to someone else (LOL). I have bone spurs in both shoulders that may have cause further damage. I've put up with it for over 6 yrs now and it is getting worse and interfering with my ability to care for myself. If the MRI says surgery will help, I'm going to have the surgery as much as I hate surgery and being laid up. The DR says they can not do both shoulders at the same time so I will be laid up for at least 3 months to heal for one shoulder than they will schedule the other shouldr. So I will be laid up most of next yr.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2012
8:17 AM

Post #9358874

Marti, if you want to get rid of the maples, placing more than 2-3 inches of soil/compost/mulch on top of the roots will do it. When you place more than that amount of material over the roots of an existing tree in an area that large, you smother the tree's roots and the tree will slowly die as its' feeder roots are in the top 18 inches of the ground.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 15, 2012
9:56 AM

Post #9358977

I don't know about that. One of the trees I've got 6-12 of compost under it and have had it that way for all most 2 yrs. Tree is doing just great. I tried digging in the compost around it and there are millions of little roots. I think the tree is just takingover the compost area.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2012
10:22 AM

Post #9358998

I was thinking in terms of that new bed as large as it is. To cover a small area will not kill the tree...but if you fill in the entire area out to the drip line it can be fatal for the tree.

Here is a bit of info on it for you.

http://www.bhg.com/advice/gardening/trees-shrubs/will-adding-4-6-inches-of-soil-over-the-roots-of-mature-trees-hurt-them/
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 15, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #9359169

Thanks for the link. My maple trees are not sugar maples. I am told that they are called water maples. All I know is that they have never been trimmed or top and are probably 60 feet tall. I'm trying to raise the money to get 2 of them removed. I would rather have a dogwood in the front yard and do have a baby one that is starting to grow. I would also like to have more fruit trees. I have 2 sweet cherry trees ( young, no cherries yet), and 2 plum trees. I'm looking at putting in apple and peach trees.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 15, 2012
1:39 PM

Post #9359180

PEG TY I Have the page saved Now :)))))

love the Plant BEAR'S BREECHES hit me when i went to the page :) way cool they say Z7-11 but a Lady I Know way North of here
has one Z5 anyone else have any in z5-6 ??

Kathy Love the Blue so pretty . Well off to look up some of my seeds Not sure what I can do for i do not have the SPACE To Grow here in my Place , Unless i Move out a couple Chairs :) HEHE .

will try to get back in later

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 26, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9367855

Ok susie... got more questions for ya..is the drive on the southside of that garden, and if I'm placing it correctly, it would be the 30ft side of the garden? Got a ruff sketch and wanna get directions correct before I begin...lol. And are your plant files up to date? ( I know mine aren't...naughty me). Have you had a chance to go through your seed pressis yet? I'm sure I had already sent some of those to you in earlier trades so if their are duplicates that you want to throw into the seed trade is ok with me!! If not you may have to dig up all that grass in the above pix...

Hey pam, make a note, I'd love to trade for some of your Allium, they are a light lavender and are very pretty, you did say they reseed? I've been meaning to add some to the garden and keep forgetting. Also wanna get the ones that are a steel blue in color, Allium azureum, 24", June. I had at another garden and will replace one of these days, lol, (ya...sure). LOL. I'm still wanting A. Globemaster at 36", and 10" blooms of purple, but if I remember correctly it's sterile and the bulbs are about $7-10 each. Yikes... Am thinking tho that Alliums might be a good investment here as they smell of onion and the deer would be repelled...Guess that's why I need to grow a bunch of that nictotiana. lol.

Pix is Dianthus grationopolitanus (what a mouth full, say that one 3 times as fast as you can), Bath's Pink or sometimes referred to Cheddar Pinks, 6-8", spring only (occasionaly a few later), and smell divine, silvery blue foliage and mat forming. I had one that got to about 36" wide, so far mine are about 18-24" wide. I've read that they can be started from a sprig put into soil and rooted, I should give that a try this winter and see how long it takes as it would be faster than from seed again.

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

December 26, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9367938

Ok Kathy, I've made a note for the lavender Alliums. They do reseed. I have them on the edge of a stone wall and they love it. I never get any volunteers below on the flat, but they've spread around the top of the wall and in between a lot. Just enough to be charming, I guess it's a question of drainage. In both pics they're just in front of the box shrub.

Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg         

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 27, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9368298

Kathy Driveway is on the eastside of the garden I Need to revamp it used to have a pine tree in the mid but brother cut it down last summer .so now it has 6 Butterfly bushes In 6 colors DK Purple to a very Lt Pink & Honeycomb Many many DL's Around the Outside of the Circle .
Not Much in the Middle .

was Looking over the seeds that you shared Questions ?
Ammi Visagna is this Queen anne lace ? or in the same family ?

I have them sorted as to how tall they Should grow :)
also have a few new seeds that i hope to grow in that area like
24"-48+
LADY IN BLACK CALICO ASTER
RED CONEFLOWER
RED LYCHNIS/
HEMP AGRIMONY /EUPATORIUM / Eupatorium cannabinum
NICOTIANA
FOXGLOVES
MIXED HELENIUMS
SHOWY MILKWEED
MIXED VISCARIA
CALICO BEARDTONGUE
FIRECRACKER PENTEMON
RED ROBINSON'S DAISY
SWAMP MARIGOLD
DOWNY SKULLCAP
CATCHFLY SILENE
WILD INDIGO WHITE
LATE FIGWORT
SWEET MARJORAM
ROCKY MOUNTAIN BEARDTONGUE
PALMER'S PENTEMON

SOME OF THESE WILL NOT BE GOING INTO THE FLOWERBED BUT BACK IN OUR OOPs caps
back by the woods & open Field .
well i woke with a stiff neck this morning so off here to paint .

Thumbnail by deejay9

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 27, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9368744

Pam..that's great, I'd love some, thanks for the offer...lol. and BTW, you might want to get that Cephalaria moved as early as you can in the spring, it will fill out over the winter (at the roots), I'm thinking you might be surprised, they can get atleast 48" at the base.

Susie...
The Aster LIB will probably get taller than you think, have seen them at 48", just to let ya know
Red coneflowers, may not come true from seed unless doing the origional X, have read the new var. are now sterile.
Red lychnis, are you talking Maltese Cross? If so they are more of a deep orange.
Eupatorium, haven't grown that one yet
Nic.
Digitalis
Heleniums (Not yet)
Showy milkweed, That's asclepias, which one do you know? Have grown A.incarnata Ice Ballet, don't reseed insitu, grown inside under lights to start here
Viscaria have some in my stash for spring too
Beardtoungue is Penstemon, not sure on calico tho., I'm thinking you got the Rocky Mountain Blue from me (lol), and it can seed in the garden, jusy not sure how reliable it is as it was just seed drop around mother plants, but origional was started in and very easy, firecracker if I remember is orange on long thin wands, should probably reseed also just haven't grown, but those that I've seen at the botanic gardens here are a mass of bloom.
Red Robinson Daisy, is that Pyrethrum, if so had years ago, gets 12-18", but only an e. summer bloomer, never reseeded for me out.
Haven't done the swamp marigold yet and can't think of botanical at moment
Downy skullcap same as above
Have done Silene before but can't remember anything about it, it's been 20 years, lol
Indigo is Baptisia, will bloom second year from seed and can become almost like a shrub, very busy, blom Juneish, if you let them go to seed in the garden, the pods turn black toward the end of the season, (some people like that), never had them reseed. Started mine in.
Figwort and Marjorum never done
And that last Penstemon, I've been reading up on it and it needs stratification to break dormancy, let me know if it doesn't work, maybe I could get a baby off mama...

And the driveway is on one of the long sides of the garden? If so, do you have a problem with moving tall things to the back then?

Ammi visagna is related to Daucus carota, D.c. (mine is the tall version (5-7ft) of what most have along their ditches (18-24") is biennial, A.v. is an annual (I've had light reseeding and get to 48", great cut flower and light fragrance ) The ditch grower am not sure which it is a perenn or reseeding annual or maybe even a b. Also in my stash, which I need to start again is Daucus c. ruber,, a pink Queen Annne's Lace at about 24-30" and is biennial, and VERY rare. The other in the group is Ammi majus 'Graceland', at 48-56" annual similar to A. v., can't remember which one has more of a green cast to the white flowers. Have fresh seed this year for A.m 'Graceland' and will comparring it to my plants last year (if they reseed for me) so I can determine which is which, as both have similar flowers but just a bit different if appearance and height.

Pix 1: Daucus carota, 5-7foot, June, b.
Pix 2: D.c. close up
Pix 3: Ammi am hoping it's visagna , couldn't tell last summer it only got to 12" cuz of our drought, seed started late and didn''t get past 12", reseeded in from the previous summer, and I forgot to put on the bag as to which it was whem I collected it from the garden, v. or m. (naughty me!!!) I will say that the Ammi is now widely used in the floral industry as filler in many bouquets for that country effect that people love soo much, also lightly fragrant, Select Seeds describes as being night fragrant, and have seen where it's been dyed various colors. (Dye in a glass of water, will change the flower color).. Ok...lo, is that too much info...lol.

This message was edited Dec 27, 2012 9:11 PM

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy      

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

December 27, 2012
10:17 PM

Post #9368800

Kathy, the Cephalaria was moved in the fall, but I'm planning to send you a piece in the spring... Better do it early, I guess.

I have the Penstemon palmerii in a baggy in the frig. My notes (Tom Clothier) say fresh seed can germinate without chilling, saved seed needs 8 weeks of cold.

Off to bed, no more playing in dirt tonight...
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 28, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #9368917

Good Morning Ladies. I hope Santa was good to all of you. We were snowed-in in Syracuse. It is good to be home. ^_^

Very pretty pictures, Kathy. What do you have planted with the Carota? I love tall flowers myself.

Pam - love your lavendar alliums. Do you know what type of alliums they are? Mine don't reseed, which is why I am wondering.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 28, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9368978

I Can hardly wait till spring friend of my brothers came after some wood this morning & He was telling me about Buying some alfalfa
& spreading it on his gardens he said after using it last summer on one of his gardens he had the best crop ever . has anyone else heard of using alfalfa rather then the organic nitrogen ?

as for the taller plants in the back they are On the backside of the garden what your seeing in the that garden is the weeds that took over last summer .

well have to get ready to go have my Blood drawn back later

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 28, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9369034

Alfalfa is what is referred to as a Green Manure crop...like clover and other legumes.. you can find pelleted alfalfa sold in feed stores

http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/green-manure-crops-zmaz86sozgoe.aspx

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Lawns-725/2008/1/Green-Manure-Alfalfa.htm

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=11087

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 28, 2012
11:12 AM

Post #9369111

If that Penstmon palmerii seed came from me it's fresh, collected it in Aug or Sept.

Carolyn...I am fascinated by the tall ones too, the taller the better. Walls of flowers!!!!! I purposely look for the tallest flowers I can find and then hope I love them. That cephalaria that Pam has get 4-6ft, with yellow scabiosa type flowers, I'm thinking of putting it in front of a patch of my Daucus along with some other yellows, just put in this fall: Helianthus 'Lemon Queen' 5ft (5), Inula helenium 'Elecapane Sun' (new, 6ft), Chrysanthemum serotinum 'Herbstern' 40+", am thinking I also put some Veronicastrum sibericum which is blue 48-72" (veronica on stilts, lol). Will have to see how the area works together as I have some editing in that section also. I have some Alcea (hollyhocks that are a deep red and a few pinks I will move out this coming spring. Lower plants to the front of these plants are Agastche Blue Fortune, orange tiger Lillies, a vine Lonicera (I think is Wheeler's yellow), a tall deep purple Aster, some dark blue Iris 'Denver Delight', Limonium latifolium (perennial statice, just love this stuff), Penstemon Pike's Peak Purple (some pink ones that need moving), and in the front is a patch of Coreopsis grandiflora, which I am allowing to reseed so I have a large patch as they bloom the whole season. Thinking there are a few other goodies there but can't remember what at the moment. It doesn't have that AHHH effect yet, lol. Gotta remember my border on this side of the garden is 20 feet deep. This section is at the end of my 100ft border, which has Lilacs on the back and to the side (whole garden is outlined with lilacs, which will eventually give me a walled effect), and next to the path at the very end of the border is Spiarea Van Houtte (tho these are still small, will eventually be an enclosed garden that has to be entered to be seen. (What the deer can't see, they can't eat!!!!) LOL, ok, that's my hope, sorry change that to belief...). Like I say, my 100 fooX 40foot border is now done being planted but not done yet...editing will continue for years!!! (Just to let you know, the above pix of Daucus was taken at my daughter's house).

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 28, 2012
11:37 AM

Post #9369129

Sorry forgot pix
1. coreopsis grandiflora, 18" ^ all season
2. Iris g. 'Denver Delight'
3 & 4. new jj's added, in the orange range
5. Limonium latifolium, perennial statice, 36-40+"^ x 36">

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

December 29, 2012
2:15 AM

Post #9369602

Carolyn, the Alliums were growing in a crack in one of the lower walls when I came to the garden. I discovered them when they bloomed and the flower heads appeared out of nowhere above the wall. There were two clumps, one each lavender and white. Both have spread nicely around where I put them, but not too aggressively. Pics 1-4 are all from 2011. The white are in a narrow section of the Falling Down Wall rock garden that might once have been steps. Pic 5 is from the bottom this fall, the Alliums have gone by. Salvia White Hill, white Saponaria and Sweet Allysum are still going. I keep adding more white plants, hoping for a look of a flowing river of white. Achillea Ballerina, Asclepias Verticillata and Salvia p White Swan have yet to fill in. Next year there should be a lot more going on.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 29, 2012
4:17 AM

Post #9369619

Stunning, Pam. I really love what you have done.

I have the Salvia Snowhill and it is one of my favorites. I like the way the white flowers brighten up areas of the garden. I was not familiar with the White Swan variety until I looked it up as a result of your posting. I like that one too, but then I never met a Salvia I didn't like. ^_^

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

December 29, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9369655

Thanks, Carolyn. S White Swan came from Buestone last year, I got 3 plants on sale, can't wait to see it in action!
Kathy, I'm chilling some of the P Palmerii, maybe I'll take some out and see how they do. From what I've read, perennials are not harmed by chilling even if they don't need that to germinate.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 29, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9369707

OK Making My NEW YEAR Shopping or trading List & I do hope you all plan on being in the swaps come spring :)))
i have a dreaded sore throat , stiff next , drippy nose so trying to just stay in stay warm its snowing not to hard but might get another inch .

as for today not really feeling up to typing allot so going to go through my garden books that I got from kathy & also the new garden books that are coming in the mail already :) will try to get back in later.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 29, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9369738

Feel better soon, Susie.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 29, 2012
7:59 PM

Post #9370229

LOL...susie...did you get some books from Amazon? Telling you, they have the best price on used books! (feel better, hugs)

Pam pix are wonderful!!! Can spring get here soon enough?

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 30, 2012
4:53 AM

Post #9370327

GM I Just have the books you sent me & A couple that I Got at a yard sale this last summer so between nose drip & sneezes I was trying to read through them but didn't get far . seems each day gets worse then the day before. so looks as i will be in bed much more today .
I have plenty of V-8 Juice & water & V8/Infussion Juice so getting my fruit & veggies.

pam thank you for the links I hope to go check them out when i feel up to it . are you still in fla ?
have a great day ev1.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

December 30, 2012
10:29 AM

Post #9370560

Ooh, how icky to have a cold...I hope it's over soon!

Back from Florida since Thursday, lots of catching up to do. I have some seeds started on my windowsill, getting ready to start some more. I'm posting about it in a new thread on the Seed Germination forum:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1290630/

All input welcome!

I just got my PC back from the techs after a baaaaaad experience, trying to get everything back to normal. I didn't lose data, but my desktop icons all disappeared and it took a while to figure out how to get them back. I just finished getting all my garden pictures onto my new iPad... Yippee, now I can post to DG directly from it. Here's a pic I took with it this morning:

Thumbnail by Pfg

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 5, 2013
6:16 AM

Post #9376002

YOU Have Sprouts :)) Oh so nice to see , so sorry i was under the weather & then i lost this site please forgive still going through lots of KLENEX'S :( Sun is Findly trying to pop out got to go run a couple laps maybe that might help get me out of this slump.

I Have to get a few rocks painted & Ready to go out by Monday But will try to get back here later tonight I Have a couple question
about a few seeds I have & Germination also need help as to when to plant , & Inside Or outside

STATICE
Hardy Moss Verbena
Immortelle
Gloxinia
ringed bellflower
Cupid's Dart
Anemone
Shooting Star
Baby's Breath
Gaillardia
Malva

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2013
12:34 PM

Post #9380205

Hi susie, been off a few days. Is the statice annual or perenn? If perenn. ie. Limonium latifolium or gmelinii, I have grown both but only L. l. from seed, can start in now., should be about 5-7 days. See post above #9369129 for pix of L. l.
Cupid's Dart is Catanche caerulea, I just had some white that sprouted this past week. I surface sow these inside , just to let you know, I don't get that great of a germination rate, so spinkle lots of seed. I have two pots so far and three seedlings, after 5 days.
Baby's Breath, again which one the annual or perenn. If perenn., is Gypsophila paniculata or oldhamiana or repens, I ususally start in under lights also, surface sow. Should take less than a week for germination. Sorry, lost old record book of exact info. Also once planted out I did get reseeding on all 3, most prolithic on Oldhamiana and Repens.
Malva was started in and again less than 5 days. If you have M. zebrina, from what I remember it does reseed in the garden too.

Does that help? Sorry, the others I have no personal experience with. What is ringed bellflower? A Campanula? If a Campanula, I personally surface so. And a hint, SMALL seed is normally surface sown, I usually put just a dusting of vermiculite so I know that I did put seed in the pot...lol. The other gerneral rule of thumb I use is to cover the seed the depth of the seed, 1/8, 1/4".

I almost always start things in a covered tray, helps keep the humidity in. Pix is from several years ago...

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 9, 2013
2:41 PM

Post #9380318

What is ringed bellflower? A Campanula? YES
I Believe all the seeds are a Perennial trying to get my lighting Stands Put up this weekend I Hope .
thought i would share what I've Been doing .

They all have to be sealed yet but it is fun to play with :) well off to bingo I Think chat later

Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9

czimmerman00
Elk Horn, KY

January 9, 2013
2:58 PM

Post #9380342

Wow! Susie you've got talent:) those arre pretty:)
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

January 13, 2013
5:45 AM

Post #9383408

A new idea has been perking in my head lately. My main long bed is getting too complicated color wise. For a long time I had dots of this and that, but now that it's finally filling in, I need to smooth it out.

One problem is that in the very beginning, 2007, DH wanted roses there, one of this and one of that. He had just had a ton of weeds cleared by the guy who has been doing the general work there for years- mowing, spring/ fall clean ups, pruning, etc. I was new on the scene, hadn't yet taken over ( didn't take long, lol) and wanted to please him (still do, in addition to pleasing myself).. So now, a few roses survived and I feel I have to leave them. The reds are halfway down.

Another huge dominating color element comes from the Daylily beds. There are two huge ones down the middle, and other large clumps along the top of the wall behind the main long bed. When DH first got the house in 1978, there was an adjoining field of them where the previous owner had been hybridizing them, and DH moved his favorites front and center. They are predominantly red, orange yellow. I've cleaned them up and re-shaped them, but they are dear to his heart and I won't change them much more.

A couple of years ago I added a patch of red Monarda at the upper back to balance, and we both like it.

The other strong element is the Cotinus someone stuck in there along the way. I love it, and have been trying to make it more important in the color scheme by adding purples, pinks, etc. I finally got rid of all the daylilies in that area, but last fall added some back in for contrast with the dark tree and continuity of the big beds.

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

January 13, 2013
6:14 AM

Post #9383434

Pic 1: This is the effect I'm hoping for.

Pic 2, 3, 4: I've brought in lots of pinks and lavenders and whites, which I love, but alone are not quite doing it. These pics aren't quite fair, there should have been more punch, but a lot of the strongest colors got deer-nipped during a drought and were very late to bloom. Still, I added the orange, seems the right hing to do.

Pic 5: So you can see my dilemma with the blues. Much as I love them, they just don't seem to fit in. And I have a lot of them!

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

January 13, 2013
7:03 AM

Post #9383491

So here's my new idea, see what you all think!

Pic 1: One more overview. I plan to warm up the section on the far left, and opposite the Cotinus behind the big box in the bed you can't see from this angle, leaving the pinks, lavenders, white etc, but remove the big patch of bright blues.

Pic 2: On the right forward bed, the Falling Down Wall, the theme is predominantly silver, white and blue, mixed with some other mostly pre-existing material.

Pic 3, 4, 5: This is the new trellis. I'm thinking to make this the Blue Garden. I have a million beautiful blue Platycodons, an Endless Summer Hydrangea, blue Veronicas and Salvias... Just stick them all in there and let them shine, instead of trying to make them not stick out like a sore thumb in an already busy mixed border.

Whew, talk about long winded! Opinions welcome!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 13, 2013
3:30 PM

Post #9383946

Ref. pix 3: What's going on the trellis..decided yet? Remember you can add some color too, just nothing that will jump out at you. Something along the lines of light pinks, snapdragons. Could be something along the lines of a silver colored plant ie. Stachy's b. which has magenta colored flowers but they are thin spikes, just to keep the scene soft... There are also some wonderful soft pinks that are not in your face type colors... There are some wonderful pinks in the Dianthus x Loveliness series too. I would stay away from bright colors or white as they would stick out like a sore thumb...

Pix 1 Dianthus x Loveliness, the one on the right would be lovely, 18"x 12-18", all season
Pix 2 Dictamnous purpureas I believe this one is albus purpurea, but does have dark pink veining, late spring or E. summer, 30"
Pix 3 Penstemon mexicale Red Rocks, all summer at 15"
Pix 4 Another variation in the D. x L. series
Pix 5 on the right is perennial creeping Thyme serpyllum which also blooms all season

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 13, 2013
3:48 PM

Post #9383965

Ref. Pix 2 @ 803am...(falling down bed, truely you should rename this, lol).how about adding something like Coreopsis Heaven's Gate, an all summer bloomer at 12-18", one of the newer threadleafs and it blooms the whole season.

Pix 5 @ 803am post...just remember your Veronicas will fill out...if I remember you are growing the shorter varieties that max out at 12-18"...expect them when mature they will be as wide a give much more of a show of color.. In pix 2, I'm guessing there are maybe 2 plants there, but also remember this is the taller species that maxes out at 28"^ x28">. These (any veronica) will die out in the center and not usually get any wider than height...(signally time for division). I'm hoping you are happily suprised at how good your veronicas will look this coming year...

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

February 11, 2013
6:41 AM

Post #9415149

How time flies... Didn't realize it had been so long since this thread got any action.

That pink Coreopsis Heaven's gate is gorgeous. I hadn't seen it before.

I do love the Veronicas. I keep dividing them to get more and more. I'm trying the low grower from seed and not getting results so far, so my one survivor will most likely get split up into as many as I can get. I finally have a good stand of V Sunny Border Blue. I started with one plant three years ago. That will definitely go down to the blue bed with the Platys. I agree that mixing in other softer colors is a good idea, especially since it isn't really a separate bed but part of a long border. There are some strong colors on either side, too, mostly yellow and oranges from daylilies and sunflowers. Silvers and other muted tones will help in the transition. It also helps that there is a stand of tall grasses at one end, and the other end is the white PG Hydrangea, then an area which is shady and quieter. And the whole thing is seen from some distance, which also helps.

You don't like my Falling Down Wall? It's an old name DH had for it, I thought it was charming. There are walls all over the place, I don't know if this one actually collapsed or was made that way. The property has been in use for more than 2 centuries, closer to 3, started as a tin mill. I sometimes wonder who did what when...

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

February 11, 2013
6:05 PM

Post #9416052

When your ready to try the tall one let me know..you might jusr like them... Hey let me look up when I get home (germination time for Veronicas)
IreneBellamy
Toronto, CO

February 12, 2013
3:14 AM

Post #9416292

Here are few suggestions that can assist you to design your landscape design. I enjoy flowers and I have used lots of different bloom color scheme which makes my backyard really lovely. I have added some images of my backyard where we recently did landscaping.

This message was edited Feb 12, 2013 3:16 AM

Thumbnail by IreneBellamy   Thumbnail by IreneBellamy         

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2013
4:03 AM

Post #9416305

The first pic doesn't enlarge, I would love to be able to see more detail. Very nice profusion of spring colors in the second...

I wrote a long post last night, but the cyber gremlins must have eaten it.

Kathy, I would love the tall Veronica. Do you know its name? Did you do it from seed or buy the plant? I could use it to help blending the areas by mixing it with the stronger, brighter colors, and keep the larger, bolder blues like the Platys closer to the trellis.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2013
4:33 AM

Post #9416328

Irene what is the yellow plant in pix#2 ? very lovely ty for sharing .
I planted many Tulips last fall & I hope they all come up this spring :)

well I have a few things to get done today so gotta get going will try to get back later

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2013
5:51 AM

Post #9416404

I am loving the yellow in the second picture too... what is it? I also love the violas. Very nice pictures, Irene. Please post more.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2013
7:24 PM

Post #9417218

WOW...those red tulips are just gorgeous!!! And love all those Pansies tooooo!!!! Yes the first is beautiful but hard to figure out what's there...lol.

Pam...the Veronica is not on the market, nor the seed anymore. I got the seed about 10-15 years ago from England. It is Veronica spicata "Sight Seeing", it was a mix of blue, white and pink... Thought I had lost the pink but saw one in the garden last summer. Will be collecting seed and dividing on more this season. My daughter has my only white one, so I need to divide it and get seed also... But I will be dividing my blue come spring... It's 28" tall and gets to be almost 30" wide... They need dividing. The tallest V. spicata on the market is only 18", that's why I love mine sooooo. It's tall enough to make a statement!, and be seen from a distance. Another great thing is they are big enough (wide) to have soooo many stems in bloom that I can cut for the vase instead of just deadheading... I must have almost a dozen or so plants out there that need dividing. Just looked back in my records to 2009 when I started these. It looks like it took just about a month under lights to have them sprout...so don't give up hope!!!! Yup, that makes those plants in the garden 4 years old, going into their 5th season, so definately time for dividing them.

Pix are all the veronicas...
Note pix 2, it shows that I deadheaded at the top of the stem, hench they put on 3 or 4 blossoms and shoter, normally I cut the stem back to a few inches above the ground, making stems longer and multiples...

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2013
7:36 PM

Post #9417235

Pix 1 above: Left bottom going clockwise: Lavendula munstead (front plant), behind are 3 or 4 Veronica s. S.S. Blue, Centaurea phygria (purple), White is Asclepias incarnata 'Ice Ballet', and white Verbascum, next in the back is Salvia guarntica at about 3ft., (purple), a few Auilegia blossoms, and in the front Dark red sanpdragons(36")...
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2013
9:11 PM

Post #9417298

Well I'd love some! They are gorgeous, all of them... I never met a Veronica I didn't like!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2013
3:18 AM

Post #9417391

Oh Put me on that list also :) I Never New snapdragons to grow 36" Love the red I have no reds in the garden except for a couple Red DL's Hope to change that this season :)
I need to get me a soil tester & try to amend for i have mostly clay & sand around here . I used fresh cow manure on one garden 3yrs ago & then i got more weeds then plants still very weedy so i hope to dig out what plants I Can find & Kill off the weeds, wish me luck with that .

Daddy is gone & I have my brother here now so maybe this spring I will have more time & HELP to
redo all the gardens . Just hope our weather is not as hot this summer as it was last summer.

well i need to go check out the other forums ya all have a great day & TY for sharing these great Pix's :)
Wishing for spring :) I need a 2wk Vacation In a sunny spot :)))
well ya all have a great day
pix 2 is new garden last fall so will take time to fill in so i hope to plant a few Annuals Here & There :)

Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9      

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2013
5:15 AM

Post #9417455

Beautiful Brugs, Deejay.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2013
5:47 AM

Post #9417496

they are stored over in a friends basement guess i should go check on them but i have to get my place rearranged before i can bring them home . If they made it through the winter.
well going to shut down back later today
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 13, 2013
9:31 AM

Post #9417736

[quote="Pfg"]Well I'd love some! They are gorgeous, all of them... I never met a Veronica I didn't like!

[/quote]

I know a Veronica you wouldn't like...she is delusional...smh
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2013
9:50 AM

Post #9417758

Ok, ...except for her! LOL...

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2013
11:59 AM

Post #9417867

lol...Been there, done that, ha, ha, ha!
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 13, 2013
4:24 PM

Post #9418189

:)

Im ready for the snow to melt. I need some dirt...have lots of ideas, will need TONS (literally) of mulch this year to get it all done right. Walls to build, seeds to plant, plants to move...you all know the drill :) An ever changing canvas.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America