Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Carolina Gardening: Grandma's flowers

Communities > Forums > Carolina Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Carolina GardeningReplies: 2, Views: 38
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gessieviolet
Saluda, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 6, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #9351317

I am preparing a portion of my back yard for next spring's planting and have begun thinking about plants that grew in grandma's yard half century ago.

Wonder if they are still around. Now, grandma did not spend a lot of time working flowers, they grew or they died--it was their choice.

I remember large areas of melva that came up every years. When I moved to my present home 30 years ago there happened to be a melva volunteer planting that I have been able to maintain.

Larkspur always grew beautifully. I have attempted to grow several times with no success. Anybody know the secret or where I might get some heirloom seeds to try again.

Around the barn were scads of Jimson weeds every summer. How I loved the fragrance! I can no longer enjoy the fragrance, but I am hoping to grow datura (and maybe brugs) next year. Maybe I can see some of those huge moths I remember coming in each night. Interestingly, I never remember any animal dying or getting sick; I am sure I crushed and smelled them with no harm, either.

What plants do others remember from long ago; and how many can still be found today?

More and more, I am leaning toward a memory garden to remind me of my youth.
Entlie
New Bern, NC
(Zone 8a)

December 6, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #9351816

Tall purple phlox.
Entlie
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

December 7, 2012
5:22 AM

Post #9352016

Ditto on the phlox and I would add cosmos and nicotiana.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carolina Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helllo Snoutherner 16 Apr 13, 2007 8:22 PM
Beautiful day Rosykay 14 Mar 20, 2009 11:32 PM
Flame azalea spartacusaby 20 Jun 21, 2007 4:17 AM
What is it? CarolinaTracer 6 May 5, 2007 1:05 PM
Hardiness success stories Tropicanna 102 Oct 16, 2007 7:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America