Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Vegetable Gardening: Bean Info please

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 2, Views: 87
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 6, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9351729

Due to my DH's health problems, beans are one of the few veggies he can still eat. I grow several kinds of snap beans including Cherokee Wax and Contender, but I am wanting to grow more bush beans I can use as shell beans. Do you all know of varieties I can try? I grew Dragon Tongue and let them get large enough to shell. They were great that way and I will grow them again. I don't have a big garden so I need bush beans and a shorter DTM would be helpful. I also like OP so I can save seeds. TY all so much.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 16, 2012
3:12 PM

Post #9360076

I don't grow much in the way of bush beans though I like Steuban http://www.victoryseeds.com/bean_steuben-yellow-eye.html They do not have a short DTM though. Henderson's Bush is good for small space gardens. White Dixie Butter Peas (not to be confused with butter beans) are probably the most prolific and carefree that I know of and a favorite of country gardeners here. There is a speckled one that I've not grown. They tendril a bit. I've grown them in 4' blocks and corralled them inside a three or four foot fence with a large gauge for easy picking. I've also double rowed them against a fence line and then laced them against the fence when they got unruly. A third way is to take a span of large gauge fencing and place it over concrete blocks or support it with enough stakes at one to two feet high to carry some weight. Be sure you can reach in and down on all sides. The beans will grow to fill the horizontal fence and not be as eager to spread out or up.

Climbing beans will generally give you better production in less space but the DTM is slightly longer. I find vertical beans are less insect prone because birds can easily perch and feed on supported plants.

You can save seed from any of the above varieties.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9360510

TY so much for the info. I will look into them.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America