Bean Info please

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Due to my DH's health problems, beans are one of the few veggies he can still eat. I grow several kinds of snap beans including Cherokee Wax and Contender, but I am wanting to grow more bush beans I can use as shell beans. Do you all know of varieties I can try? I grew Dragon Tongue and let them get large enough to shell. They were great that way and I will grow them again. I don't have a big garden so I need bush beans and a shorter DTM would be helpful. I also like OP so I can save seeds. TY all so much.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I don't grow much in the way of bush beans though I like Steuban http://www.victoryseeds.com/bean_steuben-yellow-eye.html They do not have a short DTM though. Henderson's Bush is good for small space gardens. White Dixie Butter Peas (not to be confused with butter beans) are probably the most prolific and carefree that I know of and a favorite of country gardeners here. There is a speckled one that I've not grown. They tendril a bit. I've grown them in 4' blocks and corralled them inside a three or four foot fence with a large gauge for easy picking. I've also double rowed them against a fence line and then laced them against the fence when they got unruly. A third way is to take a span of large gauge fencing and place it over concrete blocks or support it with enough stakes at one to two feet high to carry some weight. Be sure you can reach in and down on all sides. The beans will grow to fill the horizontal fence and not be as eager to spread out or up.

Climbing beans will generally give you better production in less space but the DTM is slightly longer. I find vertical beans are less insect prone because birds can easily perch and feed on supported plants.

You can save seed from any of the above varieties.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

TY so much for the info. I will look into them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.