Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Online genealogy websites

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

I already have Ancestry.com and love it but I am having to send away for a lot of obits/death notices and it gets costly plus the waiting time it takes to receive them. Some libraries don't charge to look up and can send it via email at no cost to them or me. I have been toying with the idea of subscribing to Genealogybank.com or Archives. I have to be able to get a lot out of it to warrant the annual cost. I understand that Genealogybank.com is less than $100 a year. The program needs to be user friendly, simple to use for me as I am computer challenged. If you have any of these genealogy websites where you can find obits/death notices/ marriage records from all states without going through a lot of hassle and paper work, I'd like to know how beneficial you find it for getting the sources I have mentioned.
I tried to get through to Genealogybank.com yesterday but all I got was recorded messages for about 10 min. and I hung up and thought I'd try back again this morning. Genealogybank.com offers a Free 30 day trial. How can I tell what newspapers are available in each state? Right now I'm searching in California and it is not only expensive but knowing where to write for obit copies and records for informational use only.

Some public libraries subscribe to an online service called newsbank.com that gives them access to a lot of newspapers. Our county libraries or the Historical Society does not subscribe to it. "It's not in the budget!" is the answer I get from the librarian on duty when I have asked. Am thinking of drafting up a letter to the head of our library system asking them to consider it. They are spending billions of dollars to remodel several libraries in our county to get up to date with modern technology but other sources under a $100 a year or similar amount "is not in the budget."

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Findagrave.com or findanobit.com- I can't get into the laptop rightnow, or rootsweb or just google a persons name sometimes can surprise you

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I've never used Genealogybank or Archives unfortunately so I can't offer any advice on them. If you haven't already, you might try Familysearch.org--they have a lot of great collections and everything's free. I use them all the time for finding birth/death/marriage records. I'm not sure what they have from California but it's definitely worth looking (I live there now but none of my ancestors got farther west than Ohio so I'm always looking for stuff from back east).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.