AuthorContent

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

December 7, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9352209

Heirloom Roses are having a 25% off early bird sale. My only other roses now are a few lucky cuttings from txaggiegal (thank you again!) that made it through two weeks of no power and a move during the hurricane and have grown just fine, and some knockouts that came with the new house.

I've had my eye on Aimee Vibert, the Ingenious Mr Fairchild, and a couple of others to (hopefully) grow in containers. It's almost my birthday, and I've got a gift card I've held onto for a year...

Any advice or opinions welcome. Here with the rose enablers for support!
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 11, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9355467

I saw that sale--very tempting. I just got The Ingenious Mr Fairchild a couple of months ago from the same place. So far, so good. Seems to be very healthy and eager to grow up into a big-boy-rose. My understanding is that Mr Fairchild can get pretty big shoulders, so give it a bit of room and a it will need some pruning.

Good luck with your new purchases and have fun!
LesMc
Louisville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #9364124

I ordered three today...Very excited ! We had our first little snow today so it was time to plan for spring! I have always had good luck with roses from Heirloom. They are small, but really take off and do well here in my zone 6 KY. garden. Lesley
porkpal
Richmond, TX

December 21, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9364182

An inspiration to us all...

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

December 22, 2012
10:18 AM

Post #9364697

They even added an extra Heritage to the package, as a couple of the roses were preorder for spring. I've got them in big containers now while the weather is still touch-and-go, but by Mardi Gras, I hope to have a spot for in the ground for the bigger ones.

What a treat to have roses to plant already, right before the holiday!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 22, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #9364823

And what lovely roses. I have The Ingenious Mr. Fairchild from their last sale. Small, and only one flower (and what a flower!), but quite healthy. I put it in a pot for a while but it is now in the ground. Along with Jude The Obscure and Jacquelyn DuPres. And Heritage. I have one from another source (Pickering) but what a lovely gift to make to you. I think that It is one of Austin's finest roses.

Your enthusiasm is infectious. Enjoy!

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

December 30, 2012
10:56 AM

Post #9370581

Even with our cold snap, the gifts I got myself have been going gangbusters. I got two Heritage, and gave one to my sweet neighbor. One each Mr Fairchild, Mme Alfred, and Aimee Vibert, though I've heard bad things about the last.

I haven't grown roses since I was just a little bitty girl, so I'm excited to see how these do. With some careful pruning, the KO's the came with the house are blooming continuously, at least, that's what I think they are. They're red, non-fragrant, and apparently impossible to kill, since they've been untended for five years.

I don't know quite yet where they'll all end up in the garden, but as a country girl gardening in the big city, I'm sure I'll find a way. Delighted that the "new kids" are already getting strong new leaves.

Grow, baby, grow!

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

December 30, 2012
11:02 AM

Post #9370588

Btw, Aimée is my gran's name, and she still grows hers in a pot, so I'm hoping I can do the same. It's a BIG POT, currently surrounded with a few annuals to spruce her up (the rose, not ma mere) and I'm hoping to keep it there until it starts looking peaked.

A few of my lucky rose cuttings made it to the front garden bed, which gets the most sun, so hopefully, I can get all of them going. If not, hey, that gift card was about to expire, and I've been putting them in and out on the coldest nights. They're in black pots swaddled up with burlap. Thank gosh the DH is a morning person to take them out again in the early hours. :)
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 30, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9370696

What bad things have you heard about Aimee? I understand that she is very vigorous. It blooms thopughout the season. It is big - 10 to 15 feet high, and 10 feet wide. She gets great reviews on Help Me Find:

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=87

Big isn't necessarily so terrible. I like big - Constance Spry on the left. And she doesn't even rebloom!

There are always the pruning shears.

Embrace that big beautiful rose!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Click the image for an enlarged view.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

December 30, 2012
2:55 PM

Post #9370773

DonnaMack your garden is beautiful! I don't know about embracing roses, however. Does Aimee have many thorns?
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 30, 2012
3:55 PM

Post #9370809

I just went to several of my books, and I think I hear the "problem". Like many roses that are very large and heavily flowering, it takes a while to build up its strength to bloom. Aimee take 3 years. Zeph does too, and people complain about it all the time. But would you rather have a nice rose that develops quickly, or a magnificent rose like Aimee?

I did some research in three of my books.It's vigourous, hardy and healthy, with flowers in clusters of 5-12, with only small prickles. I read in one place that it reblooms, but one source noted that it blooms for such a long period of time that many beleive it to be a repeat flowerer. It is considered to be one of the best old ramblers. And it is unusual in that it is zone 5 hardy. Vibert named it after his daughter AFTER he saw how good it was.

If I could find a place for it I'd grow it too!

So you really could give it a tiny hug!!!

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

December 30, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9370902

DonnaMack, I think that's why other people have been frustrated, but after two hurricane-inspired moves, I'm ready to put down roots and let the rose do my ramblin'. ;)

I love the name, I love the idea of a climbing rose, and gosh darn it, it will either live in my swampy garden, or not!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 30, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9370905

Way to go!!!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America