Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Vegetable Gardening: Turnip surprise

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 13, Views: 100
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 7, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9352235

I grow these little white salad turnips from Johnny's call Hakurei. It's an early turnip (38 days) typically harvested young at about 1-2" and is very sweet and mild -- unlike any other turnips I've had.

I planted several beds this fall on 9/15, but couldn't keep up with eating them and never thinned the beds. I have two 4x10 beds of them. Some are 5-6" in diameter, other are lopsided ovals from being squished. Most are sitting on top of the bed with one bit of root barely in the ground, yet the tops are healthy and green. And when I say the bed is packed, under the greens the bed is solid white turnips. We've had a cold fall (for us) with several frosts and one hard freeze, but the ground doesn't really freeze here. We've also had some hot weather this fall. Despite the strange weather, these have flourished.

I decided to taste one to see if they were okay. They are more than okay, they are even milder and sweeter than normal. They are still smooth and not the least bit woody or tough. I sliced one up raw and am snacking on it now.

I had already marked this variety as a winner for taste, but for the south it seems these are a winner all around. Unlike most turnips, they don't store well once picked but apparently they store quite well in the ground. It's good to have another "keeper" vegetable for fresh winter eating!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

December 7, 2012
9:56 AM

Post #9352247

Nicole,
Thanks for posting this info!

I'm trying to grow a crop of Seven Tops for the greens, and Goldens and Purple Globes for the roots. You said the Hakurei don't store well. Does this include dicing and freezing the roots?

Linda

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 7, 2012
11:31 AM

Post #9352310

I haven't tried freezing them. When they say something is a storage turnip (or squash or whatever), they mean in a root cellar type environment. The ground is too warm for a real root cellar here and that's probably a lost cause for you entirely!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

December 7, 2012
12:33 PM

Post #9352357

Ok. Thanks! I'm gonna go google that variety.

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2012
2:52 PM

Post #9353974

I grow Hakurei, too, because I have fond memories of the first sweet turnips in spring - as a kid, we would eat them raw, peeled and quartered like an apple. I didn't care for the turnips after the weather warmed up and the turnips got a spicier flavor. Hakurei extends the raw turnip season - but I have trouble finding someone to eat raw turnips with me. It must be an aquired taste!
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

December 10, 2012
8:33 PM

Post #9355201

While lurking here I saw your post on Hakurei. I love turnips and I purchased some Hakurei at a farmers market in La Jolla. I thought I was purchasing small white radishes. I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered they were turnips. I found the seeds on Johnny's Seeds plus the lunchbox peppers. I love those small peppers. I am going to try my best to have a great crop. Thanks so much for the heads up on the Hakurei. Merry Christmas to me. Sharon

706.24 Hakurei (F1)-1/4 Ounce
Vegetables > Turnips 1

3030G.11 Lunchbox Orange (OG)-Packet
Vegetables > Peppers > Sweet Specialty Peppers > Snack Peppers 1

3031G.11 Lunchbox Yellow (OG)-Packet

3032G.11 Lunchbox Red (OG)-Packet

rjogden
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 10, 2012
10:03 PM

Post #9355238

NicoleC wrote:I grow these little white salad turnips from Johnny's call Hakurei.

FYI, Kitazawa sells the same variety at about half the price per seed for the small packet: http://www.kitazawaseed.com/seed_327-132.html.

-Rich

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 11, 2012
4:30 AM

Post #9355337

Thanks for the heads up, Rich, but at $5.35 for shipping a packet of seeds, I wouldn't save any money ordering from them.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 11, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9355457

Thanks for the description and your results. Sounds interresting and I will have to try them. I planted out purple top turnips for fall browsing and to extend the browsing time until I have to buy hay for my goats. Wow! This really must be a good year for turnips as these really took off. I also have an extra bed w/just the turnips for winter feed for the chickens. Both are still eating off this crop and I've barely had to put out hay for the goats or extra feed for the chickens.

I've never eaten a raw turnip before, but I tried one sliced up as I was feeding the buck (he didn't think he would like turnips so I ate one in front of him so he could see that I wasn't going to die or anything). Don't know how purple tops are supposed to taste, but this one was pretty good. If I could grow an even sweeter one I can imagine they would be really good in a salad!
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 11, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9355547

Purple Top White Globe is probably the most dependable turnip ever developed. It does have a stronger flavor tho. White turnips are milder. White Lady is my favroite white. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/104137/ For an unusual really tasty performer Baker Creek"s Round Red http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/104137/ Shogoin has the best greens, but does not bulb up as well under stress. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/124389/ White Egg is popular here, but does not do much for me. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/119218/

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 11, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #9355620

Yeah, I don't care for the Purple Top at all -- ugh! -- but if I wanted turnips for livestock fodder it would be the top choice. That and you can get huge bags of seed at the co-op for cheap. Terri, your story of eating one to prove to the goat it was okay cracked me up!

I ordered Scarlet Ohno Revival for next year in addition to the Hakurei. It is reported to be mild tasting as well but may have fuller and tastier tops than the Hakurei. Mostly I'm looking for a turnip I like that is OP, so I don't need to buy seed each year.

White Egg was a total failure for me. Perhaps if I had tried it as a fall crop it might have done better.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

December 11, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #9355686

Does anyone besides me actually COOK turnip bottoms? They are the bomb!

Again, as with most of the pungent, large leafy greens I pick way past when ya'll pick 'em, adding a little sugar to the cooking pot cuts that pungency. Not enough to sweeten anything, mind you (I HATE sweet, green veggies), but just enough to balance the acidity.

"Good eats!"

Linda

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 11, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #9355763

Boiled with butter, cubed. Smaller purpletop whites, sliced and munched raw. My daughter thinks they taste like strange potatoes, and now, the green tops, lip smackin good totally edible plant. Me, wave hand, I like em!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

December 11, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #9355773

Thank you, Kitt...

Greens...it's what's for dinner!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America