Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: white/gray powderly mildew on tomatoe plants

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 5, Views: 46
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pdekalb
Palm Harbor, FL

December 7, 2012
10:43 AM

Post #9352283

I live on the gulf coast near Tampa FL. I have a 2-year old garden in a box about 2 feet high filled with a sandy topsoil i had brought in. I keep it waterd via dedicated sprayers in the garden hooked up to the regular watering system. I cannot get rid of powdery mildew. I am sprayig "Triple Action Neem" oil about twice a week (twice as often as prescribed) and barely keep it in check. Plants are looking bare near the bottom because leaves have died and fallen off and not producing many tomotoes. Any guidance i appreciated!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 7, 2012
11:26 AM

Post #9352303

First of all i would recommend watering from the bottom to keep the foliage dry. That would be a start.
pdekalb
Palm Harbor, FL

December 7, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9352373

the sprayers are only about 1 foot high center along the center spine of the garden and spray pretty flat. I don't think the plants are getting wet any higher than about 18 inches up.
flsusie
New Port Richey, FL

December 7, 2012
3:27 PM

Post #9352494

Most nights my plants are getting wet enough from fog and dew that the water is dripping off. Check before sun up. You may need to stop watering. I'm only watering about once a week. I had a real problem with the mildew in the spring and read somewhere to spray with a mix of 1/4 milk to 3/4 water and it worked. It took 3 sprayings several days apart to get rid of it all but it worked. be sure to get under leaves and stems.
birke
Broward County, FL
(Zone 10b)

December 7, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9352528

Plus some baking soda in the milk water mix, kept the mildew in check on my pumpkins last year.
Jim41
Delhi, LA

December 21, 2012
9:23 PM

Post #9364356

I have a tiny rambler rose that my Grandmother moved from Miss. in 1908. It is real subject to powdery mildew. I tried everything on the market commercially but nothing stopped it. Then a lady on Dave's recommended baking soda and dish washing liquid in water. It stopped it in its tracks. Might take a couple of sprayings but it works. Now I start spraying when it first begins to leaf and about once a week until it is through blooming. Very cheap fix. Give it a try and try to get under the leaves as much as possible.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America