Mosquito repellant plant ?

Hyderabad, India(Zone 12b)

Plz ID this plant, locals are saying it repels mosquitoes and hence they grow it.
It came in as a surprise plant when I took it's photo at a wedding function hall.

Thumbnail by burraganesh
Keaau, HI

Does the plant have a scent?

Any flowers or fruit to show?

No I have only seen leaves, I mistaken them for Betel leaf but when I took a closer look I came to know it's not (it is not a climber)

Opp, AL(Zone 8b)

A Datura?

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Tried to find pix of citronella plants and they would only come up grass. We do have some shrubby citronella plants tho- I just can't find em on short notice

Well I give it a search as "mosquito repellent plants" in google images and the nearest match I could find is this pic.

It's called Houttuynia cordata, would you agree that the plant to be ID'd is this?. Please confirm so that we can close this thread.

Thumbnail by burraganesh
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

The leaves don't look to be a match. May just have to wait for a bloom.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I agree, definitely not Houttuynia.

Then what else would it be?. We may be misled by the "mosquito repellant nature" as quoted by locals.

I am thinking on a broader sense and I feel (based on it's leaf) that it is a young Kadamba plant, "Anthocephalus cadamba". Let's solve this soon.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

MANY plants are accredited with mosquito repellant natures- but so is Skin So Soft- agreed it isn't a basil which also has mosquito repellant reputation. Agreed
, it isn't the Houttunya... Back to work- day not done yet, sigh

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.