Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Sewing and Quilting: how do you sort scraps

Communities > Forums > Sewing and Quilting
bookmark
Forum: Sewing and QuiltingReplies: 98, Views: 641
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 8, 2012
11:31 AM

Post #9353074

OK, so Im about to come apart at the seams. Thought I would 'sort' scraps and its a nightmare. Could you all tell me what you do.
This is what Im doing, first its been tons of ironing. I am cutting 6" 5" 31/2" and 2 inch squares...is that to many sizes...not enough...???
Its the pieces of fabric that I have a full length of that is throwing me the most. Do I keep it in Strips..6,5,4,3,2"...maybe just 5" and 21/2", or should i just cut them in blocks too...Im keeping the 1/4 yard and up full lengths as they are, fat quarters stay.
Do you seperate colors and themes as you go, or just cut and come back.
I know when done, Im gunna be glad, and will probably use alot of fabric for scrap quilts, that would have just sat there for me to look at. Right now tho, Im in a bit of a dither. This all started with those darn wonky blocks ;-) Im guessing I should not have started this till after the new year.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 8, 2012
12:15 PM

Post #9353108

After the New Year would have been good!!!! I think it is a personal choice for each of us. I started cutting into strips - 5" or smaller down to 2" Then if it isn't a full strip WOF, I cut them into squares. I store them in plastic containers and in bags inside those according to width of strips and size of squares. I don't worry about color. Fat quarter sizes are stored in fat quarter holders according to color. and anything more than a fat quarter is stored in my cabinet folded to fit the shelves. That's how I do it. I also have a grab bag of scraps for applique. There is always that time when you just need a tiny scrap. I don't throw away very much...
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 8, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #9353121

I do very much like Barb does with my scraps. I cut into sizes (depending on scrap piece) and store in a plastic box labeled with sizes on the front. Not thought to colors...just sizes.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 8, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9353348

Wellll I have baskets, and bins. and boxes. I have a big basket, and when I am working on projects, I toss any scraps into the big basket. when it gets full , I pull it all out and start to sort. and every now and then I just pull some out and cut.
I start with cutting a 1.5 x 1.5 as I am wanting to make a postage stamp quilt...then I cut a 1.5 x 5'' another project I want to do.
then I cut what ever sizes I can get out of the pieces??? can I get 5'' a 4''... cut that etc... I have boxes for the different sizes. I have 5'', 4'', 3.5'',3'', 2.5'', 2'', and 1.5'' . I also have some rectangles, not too many as I just started to cut those. 1.5x5 , 2.5x5.

I also have baskets that are some what color sorted, pieces of various sizes, not cut into anything specific. some of it I could get a few 5'' sqs and a some other cuts, some of it close to fat 1/4's. I have baskets for reds, pinks, yellows, greens, blues and purples together, browns and oranges and blacks together, one for whites. I pull from these when I need a bit here and there for swaps, or appliques, or whatever.

if they are big pieces, and I can get a good strip, I cut a 5'' x wof, then 2.5 , then 1.5. I have the 2.5 and 1.5 together in a box. I use them for sashing, binding, straps for bags... cut into squares for whatever...I just made a few things that I used pieces from 2.5'' strips I have the 5'' strips on a shelf. I have fat 1/4's in a container, and on shelves, bigger stuff folded to fit my shelves, unless more than 3-4 yards, those are on bolts.

I also have a few big bins of scraps not yet sorted in any way. as I have some wonderful friends who have sent me stuff, and it seems like when I get a bin somewhat sorted...I get another box or bag given to me...so that gets dumped in a bin for future sorting..

the thing you need to do before you cut a bunch of scraps ...is to think how you may use them???? do you think you will use 5'' squares?? if you won't, don't cut anything that size. do you want to do a bunch of 1/2 sq triangles, what sizes would you want for that??? will you REALLY use a 1inch square??? probably not...so don't cut it!!!

I am doing some funky chickens appliques so I have been saving a few odd pieces for that...greens that could be a sprig of grass, yellows for hay...that kind of thing...sew you need to think what you would use...

I would say do not try to tackle it all at once, do some here some there...every time you sew on a project, spend 15 mins sorting and cutting...or something like that...

have fun and happy sorting :-)
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 9, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9353570

Thanks everyone. I think m onto it now. I do need to get some more clear storage bins tho. I put all the scraps back in the boxes I had not pulled out and opened up.Got them tucked in the closet for later. I then ironed all the scraps I had out and laying around.Today Im going to cut those scraps and put away till after the holidays. I can then move on to cleaning the sewing room ASAP. At least I know my system and it will make doing the others a little less stressful, just going to take some time. I have stacks of fabric I didnt want and was gong to put in the drop box, along with some old qulting books. Once I get thru these stacks of magazine recipes and quilt patterns Ive torn out over the years, Im hoping to have a much more productive next year. If I wait till January to figure out what to do, its to late, I need to be ready to roll.

Now, to think about Christmas, Im just not 'there' yet.

Thanks again, and have a great day.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 11, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #9355740

Like Thunder, I have a box at my cutting table where I throw "scraps". When it overflows I start cutting. I leave any piece that is 12" be and have a box for those. Anything else I cut into either 5 1/2 or 2 1/2" strips. If it is less than 1 1/2", I throw it in the recycle bag and then take those to the LQS and they use them to stuff dog beds.

abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9356304

Great idea about the smaller pieces Jean. Wish I had know about that sooner...could have made a bed for my son's chocolate lab for Christmas with the scraps I dispose of a while back.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 12, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9356309

That is an excellent thought. I just grabed a wod of scarps out of my ironing board bag catcher, and even thought, to bad I cant do something with these. Now to forage the trash. A dog bed is to big for me to try, but Ive been wanting to make a kitty bed.

Im watching for some containers to go on sale the first of the year. They seem to be a big sale item since organizing seems to be a big resolution. I like the lock and lock type.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9356319

Pam, I found some really neat containers at Walmart that I use for storage. Similar to Lock and Lock but cheaper. Very strudy and stack ever so nicely.

I made a dog bed years ago for my son's first lab. He actually wore it out but for some odd reason I haven't done one for the new one. Might have to do that after Christmas.
hodges01
Fort Campbell, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 3, 2013
8:36 PM

Post #9374769

I don't cut or iron my scraps until I need them. I roll them up and keep them in various-sized baskets by color. If the scrap is 1/2 a yard or more, I fold it on to a white cardboard comic book protector... not sure that's the correct name. They use them to store comic books safely. These I also store by color. I use Ikea shevling and put the scraps in the bottom shelves and the folded scraps up top. Excuse the mess as we just moved, but here's what one shelf looks like right now.

This message was edited Jan 3, 2013 11:37 PM

Thumbnail by hodges01
Click the image for an enlarged view.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 3, 2013
9:07 PM

Post #9374790

WOW, I'm impressed!! That looks great and each piece is easily seen.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2013
4:37 PM

Post #9378556

Pam, Joannes has storage stuff on sale !!!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2013
4:40 PM

Post #9378565

Off to look. I can use free shipping and 25% off total order coupon. These scraps take up more storage than one thinks. Im barely into to too.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 21, 2013
11:51 AM

Post #9392517

We are now into a new year..I also follow much of Barb's method when organizing scraps.

On a day when I'm not up to sewing it's cut into usuable project sizes..

Want to do several throws using twister tool, that means 5" square

As well, a couple Christmas Tree quilts which had stripping along side the main tree, that means 1 1/2 x 4"

With all my sewing this past Christmas I've a large bin 3/4 full of fabric, you've got me thinking, on a quiet evening when I'm not into sewing, organizing and cutting strips could fill that time in..

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2013
12:41 PM

Post #9392570

Ive actually been cutting scraps on and off today. Im not sure I have the hang of it, takes me forever, and I think about every piece and what to do with it. I need to just pick a few sizes and go with it. I feel like the more I cut the more I have to do, the containers of scraps seem to be growing, not diminishing.
I seem to have the same problem outside. I have been moving things around, but I seem to be better at digging up than deciding where to replant.
Betty, it sounds like I need to do what your doing, pick a few projects and cut those sizes. I looked at the pile of fat quarters I cut to size, I dont even like them, but never know when they might come in handy for a charity project, or practice.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 21, 2013
1:00 PM

Post #9392604

that's the thing, those you don't really like are the ones you'll be in search of at some point, best you keep them in the bottom of the pile.

Might do some cutting tonight as well..have I think 8 sets of 6 christmas placemats ready to quilt for this christmas, I know I'm ahead of the game.. this morning I cut out backing for a few sets, still some needed so I aim to pick my least favorite of fabrics for this. Good way to use them up!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2013
1:25 PM

Post #9392647

I have a sm suitcase full of scraps to take to my guilds Camp weekend next month. I am so used to sewing with my machine in a cabinet I don't get a good seam with it on top of a table. So figure that will be the perfect time to turn the pile of scrap into useable pieces.
I just think - 12" block, and cut pieces to a size that would go into a piece finishing 12". So 6 1/2 for the largest square then working down fm there with squares, rectangles & strips.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2013
2:04 PM

Post #9392695

I happened onto a couple of 10" squares I really loved, I got to cutting more of the same size, and it was just a pain. I think henceforth, Im gunna stop at 61/2.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 21, 2013
3:07 PM

Post #9392749

I take everything large enough and stable enough to not shred and join in every direction while rotary cutting as I go. You know when you learn to knit and you make one long thingy that never ends? I do that with relatively small scraps. Then when I get wild and crazy, quilt wise, I can whack off squares. I make strips 8 1/2" wide by endless lengths for future eight inch squares and then store. This might not work for someone who dislikes random acts of quilting.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 21, 2013
3:16 PM

Post #9392758

Knitting a purse/bag with 1" strips, all one color but wouldn't hurt to do one in multicolors..knits up easily and you can keep larger pieces for lining

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2013
6:51 PM

Post #9395406

I have several baskets that I put scraps in, and I do sort by color. I just keep any pieces that I deem "usable" and don't cut them into any shapes or strips. I just stick them in no matter what shape they are. I do a lot of appliqué and don't mind the odd shapes. Anything that is larger than a fat quarter but smaller than a yard, I fold and stack in a glass cabinet, also by color. For my larger pieces I have a wall with shelves that I fold them and stack them, again, by color.

Thumbnail by happytail

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 23, 2013
6:54 PM

Post #9395408

Such an attractive sewing room!!

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2013
7:08 PM

Post #9395431

Thanks, it was a requirement for our new house that I have a room that all my sewing stuff would fit in, so it didn't end up spread out all over the house. And of course, it is filled to the brim.

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2013
7:12 PM

Post #9395440

Here are a few more pictures.

Thumbnail by happytail   Thumbnail by happytail   Thumbnail by happytail   Thumbnail by happytail   
Click an image for an enlarged view.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 23, 2013
7:17 PM

Post #9395449

How big is your room? It looks BIG!!! lucky you!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2013
4:38 AM

Post #9395655

Very very nice. That is a good example of what my sewing room Doesnt look like ;-) Even if I had the wall of shelves, which I would love, it wouldnt look like that :-o
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2013
5:20 AM

Post #9395674

happytail - I was just up there on Sunday to go to the fat 1/4 sale at the LQS up there. Had never been up that way before & found the town to be very nice. And the LQS has some very nice fabrics.

You room looks lovely!!!! I believe I have the same Bernina. What type of long arm do you have? I use a HQ-16.

Looking at all your organization, I think I'll be forced to go out & re-fold/sort my stash!!!!

I get the WM $9 deli deal and it comes in a nice plastic container with a clear lid and they stack. Been saving them for a "purpose". A couple days ago I realized they would be perfect for sorting strips, squares, etc. of various colors and or sizes. And they are FREE!!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 24, 2013
7:27 AM

Post #9395836

Above nice..now if I could get rid of stained glass/painting supplies, knitting machines I could take a few hints from you as to how to organize my working space..

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2013
8:57 AM

Post #9395957

wonderful room !!!

can you tell me please??? do you have a pattern for the round piece on your design wall ??? a source you can share. I want to make something similar for a friend, and I have been unable to locate a pattern.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2013
9:03 AM

Post #9395962

Thunder - look for a Mariner's compass pattern. Or are you talking about the blue circle to the right?

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2013
5:09 PM

Post #9396551

Thunder, it is a Mariner's Compass, from Brenda Henning's book "Reach for the Stars". Picture of the entire quilt is below.

Qwilter, the machine is a Voyager, made by Hinterberg Frames.

Thumbnail by happytail

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2013
5:11 PM

Post #9396553

WOW, that is one great quilt.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2013
6:36 PM

Post #9396658

I've never heard of that machine. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2013
2:46 AM

Post #9396893

That quilt is simply stunning!!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 25, 2013
7:39 AM

Post #9397114

Oh my dream sewing room Happytail!!!!! Lucky, lucky lady. Like Pat, I am curious about the size of the room.

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2013
11:20 AM

Post #9397270

The room is @13' X 30'. On the original house plan, it was 2 bedrooms, but when we built the house, I just had them leave out the wall between the two rooms. They still framed a door, but we just covered it with sheetrock. So if someone ever wanted to make into two rooms again, all they have to do is put in a wall and cut out that space for the door.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2013
8:52 AM

Post #9398081

Good forethought! Beautiful room and it certainly is being put to good use now.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2013
8:58 AM

Post #9398086

13x30, boy could I make a mess in there! I was wondering, after drooling over the room for about the 30th time, what the round piece is over the thread, down by the design wall. Also, did you pick the fabric on the whole quilt, I keep looking at it too, I could have never gotten that effect of having a sheer piece laying over a darker piece, brilliant.

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2013
1:15 PM

Post #9398320

The round piece is part of the Mariners compass quilt pictured a few posts above this one. And I did pick the fabrics for the quilt. That's almost my favorite part of making a quilt. I love putting together colors and textures for whatever pattern I'm working on. Here is my latest:

It is a pattern by Anthology Fabrics called "Floriga". Twelve wedges come together in the middle to a point. I did a good bit of swearing before this one was finished, but I'm very pleased with the outcome.

Thumbnail by happytail   Thumbnail by happytail   Thumbnail by happytail   Thumbnail by happytail   
Click an image for an enlarged view.

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2013
1:33 PM

Post #9398338

Pleased should be an understatement. If I saw just a wedge, I would go...nice. Seeing them all together, its just fantastic. I could have never envisioned that from one wedge, not in a hundred years. Shoot, it would take me that many years just to get all the little orange squares in place.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2013
4:36 PM

Post #9398500

WOW that is wonderful. Soooo many shades of fabric with the end result brillant and radiant. WAYYYYYYYYY beyond my aspiration level let alone skill level!! LOL

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2013
5:53 PM

Post #9398556

gorgeous work Happy, I will be looking for that book. thanks.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2013
5:43 AM

Post #9398883

Incredible work - just stunning!!! I also like the black design wall. I never thought about using black. Is it felt?

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

January 27, 2013
10:08 AM

Post #9399103

OMG!! Wonderful, wonderful room! A quilters dream come true. How can you ever leave that room?! And your quilts are just stunning. I also see a couple of cross stitch pieces I think? Love the black design wall. Do you have some sort of cage under the long arm? I think I see a couple of doors. I am so inspired by your room that I'm getting dressed (it's one of those days...) and rushing right over to my Tuesday House and get busy!

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2013
11:08 AM

Post #9399149

The black design wall is black flannel (a good, heavy flannel) pulled tight around the blue foam board that you get at Lowes, and then screwed to the wall with large-head screws.

The cages under the machine frame are two little dog crates. We have 2 miniature pinschers and we had their crates in my sewing room for a while.

Some of the cross stitch pieces were done by my mother, before she lost her vision.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2013
11:09 AM

Post #9399151

Such beautiful work and a fantastic room!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2013
3:02 PM

Post #9399334

One of these days I'll get my design wall up. Never thought to wrap the blue board. May need to give that a try.

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2013
3:14 PM

Post #9399351

I just duct taped the 2 blue foam boards together, duct taped the flannel around to the back, and screwed them to the wall. Very light weight, and easy to handle.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2013
3:23 PM

Post #9399356

I have used acoustical ceiling tile sheets for the same purpose. I made a wall-size bulletin board over SO's desk in his office and covered it in a guitar fabric.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2013
3:25 PM

Post #9399360

I do have lots of duct tape!!!!!

Meant to mention above that your Mariner's Compass is one of the best I've seen. It is on my "bucket list" and one day I'll find the mental energy to tackle one!!!!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2013
3:52 PM

Post #9399384

I have an outside tablecloth turned to the flannel side and duct taped to a foam board. I really need to upgrade.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2013
4:02 PM

Post #9399389

LOL. If it works why upgrade? You can say you are going green.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2013
4:11 PM

Post #9399397

http://www.anthologyfabrics.com/anthology_pdf/Florigia Pattern.pdf free pattern for that stunning quilt above.

My design wall is off white, over similar board from lowes. wish I had room for another one!!! maybe if / when the next kid moves out I will put up another one!!!

I ordered a dvd on mariners compass by Brenda Henning, and a book she co authored with a few others. hopefully there will be something to inspire me in one of them. I have a friend / co-worker who loves suns. she saw a NYB that I did and liked it, but I do not want to do the same thing for her...

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2013
4:14 PM

Post #9399399

Pam, my previous design wall was an old table cloth, taped to the wall !!! when I switched rooms, we put up the boards in the hallway. not enough wall space in the room, too many shelves!!

not ideal as the hall is not very wide, but it works...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2013
5:09 PM

Post #9399434

23 pages of instructions !!!!!! But I have saved it - for a rainy day.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 27, 2013
8:30 PM

Post #9399616

As beautiful as that quilt is, I will just sit back and cheer the rest of you own with yours. That is one I admire but not on my "bucket list". Shucks, I keep the refreshments coming while the rest of you work. How is that?

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 27, 2013
10:34 PM

Post #9399698

I'm with you Marion, I don't have one of those gorgeous Mariners quilts in me so I'll have to be support staff with you!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2013
4:45 AM

Post #9399801

I still have to get my Bargello made!!!!! Definitely need the design wall up before I tackle that.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2013
5:02 AM

Post #9399809

I do so covet a Mariners star but I know I'll never make one. My quilting talent is mediocre at best. I'll hang in there though, I still have a lot of tree skirts to go. I bow to those of you who aspire to making one and I'll join Marion in the kitchen.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2013
5:47 AM

Post #9399839

Good because i am NOT a cook!!!!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2013
5:48 AM

Post #9399841

After going thru the pattern for the above, it looks as if it can be transformed into a paper pieced pattern. It would still be very time consuming, but at least everything would match up. I thought those little orange squares would be hard to do, but they are on the end of a fabric strip. What would kill me, is getting together all the fabrics. That puts me out of the game for sure. No doubt that is for the ultra advanced and someone with ALOT of patience.

Heck, I was working on a seemingly easy block yesterday, HST sewn together a certain way. Well, I sewed then together every way possible, except the right way. I ended up having to cut some more pieces, I ripped them apart so many times the fabric just frayed so bad.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2013
6:14 AM

Post #9399876

LOL I soooo know that feeling...the seam ripper is my friend.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2013
7:04 AM

Post #9399938

I know that feeling too! But - it's rip and learn- right??? That's how I learn best.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2013
7:09 AM

Post #9399942

Okay, the kitchen crew is ready so when are the quilts going to be started. Already have a fresh apple crisp for a coffee break...diabetic friendly for those you need that kind.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2013
7:10 AM

Post #9399944

YES, when my patience is thin, I do not need to pick sewing. It only means disaster!!

Off to work, praying my brother and DH get ALL the molding up today but... I don't think thats very realistic and I sure wish I could be here to help and at least COOK for them and clean, put away tools, be the go-fer. I don't always know how to do something but after a short while I figure out which tool is next and which one can be safely set aside out of the way. In a small work space that can be invaluable! Besides, like many other women, I KNOW where the "stuff is" even if it's not "something" I use!!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2013
8:35 AM

Post #9401217

well that fantastic quilt is on my bucket list !!! butttttt pretty far down LOL I am going to tackle some type of Mariners Compass, and soon...want to make a sun design for friend, and want to do a compass for my Sailor boy.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 29, 2013
8:45 AM

Post #9401226

I am so glad I peaked: Sewing room is stunning, practical and something every sewing woman should have. Quilts are stunning and far from doable for me that is.
this would be my quest and far off too :http://www.amishcountrylanes.com/Pages/hs1602.shtml

I do have the pattern so a start. it is PP and conventional piecing.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2013
8:57 AM

Post #9401239

Aaaah the joy! Tenants had bad accident a while ago, and don't have a car. Thus they are staying with his mother. That's fine, except when they left, they turned off the heat...yup the pipes froze and burst. Walt discovered this when he went to show the buyer the rental house. Nice Huh? We are now embroiled with insurance adjusters and repair people. We have to leave on Friday and had planned to continue on to TN after our daughter and son in laws 25th anniversary party. Looks like we may have to return here until all is settled.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2013
9:23 AM

Post #9401271

Bar illness, I dont think there is more heck than anything to deal with buying/selling, or moving. Good luck.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2013
12:53 PM

Post #9401486

I rarely even turn the heat DOWN when we are gone. I figure the cat is used to the temperature and doesn't need the additional stress of lowered heat.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 29, 2013
3:38 PM

Post #9401751

we had this while we did 6/6 oil burner burst I was in Fla. DH luckly was home and it was bitter cold. Lucky soccer friend was plumber and came out late at night. After that it was time to sell off stuff and we did and it was in good realestate $$$$. Sometimes a sign to move forward
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 10, 2013
9:42 AM

Post #9414151

Happytail, that is a beautiful quilt. I love the pattern. I just recently saw that in a book somewhere.

I am on the look out for a book on doing Hawaiian quilts. Qwilter sent me some awesome patterns and I have been collecting some beautiful batiks but still looking for more. I purchased a nice light yellow gold batik for the backing. Its a very simple design so won't interrupt the pattern of the flowers. I have looked everywhere and the only one I found was at a quilt store in Newport for $45. It has a DVD in it and If I can't find something less expensive I will probably purchase it.

You all know its your fault. You are the pushers and now I am an addict. eheheheh. Love you for it though.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2013
10:14 AM

Post #9414180

Yep, another successful Addict properly "hooked"!!! Enablers and Pushers, that is us. NOW, do your duty and convert another Quilter Addict Jan!!
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 10, 2013
11:14 AM

Post #9414232

I'm working at it. Heheh
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2013
2:06 PM

Post #9414435

These are the books I have: Hawaiian Quilting: Instructions and Full-Size Patterns for 20 Blocks (Dover Quilting) by Elizabeth Root

Poakalani Hawaiian Quilt Cushion Patterns & Designs, Vol. 3: Fifteen Original Block Patterns and Designs for both... by Poakalani and John Serrao (Jan 2001)

Each is less than $10 on Amazon.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 10, 2013
2:32 PM

Post #9414453

Thanks, I will look those up on Amazon

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2013
2:43 PM

Post #9414465

I love Elizabeth Root's books. Her patterns are simple. I used her patterns to do the one below. I hand dyed my own fabrics, and it is hand appliquéd and hand quilted. It just doesn't have a binding yet. I traced the pattern onto freezer paper, then pressed it onto the right side of my fabric, and traced around it with a fabric marker. But, I didn't cut out the fabric until I started the appliqué, and then I only cut as I actually did the appliqué, just a few inches ahead at a time. That keeps your fabric from raveling. It worked great.

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2013
2:45 PM

Post #9414467

Each piece is only one piece of fabric.

Thumbnail by happytail

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2013
4:11 PM

Post #9414577

That is stunning!!!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2013
4:13 PM

Post #9414579

I'm speechless!!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2013
4:59 PM

Post #9414656

OOOOOOOO what I would give... That is just fantastic, totally awesome.

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2013
5:41 PM

Post #9414695

It is a lot easier than you think. Only one piece of fabric for each block, and you baste the entire thing down before you start sewing. Then, cut just a bit, sew it down, and cut a little more, sew a little more, etc. much easier than appliqué blocks that have many, many pieces to each block.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2013
5:47 PM

Post #9414701

Well, I went straight to amazon and ordered two of her books. Just what I need. ;-o

http://pub42.bravenet.com/photocenter/album.php?usernum=3605433247&cpv=2#bn-photocenter-1-1-3605433247

came across this little gallery of some of her stuff. Never heard of Her before, so glad you shared.

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2013
5:57 PM

Post #9414711

I love her work, and I'm glad you do too. I had so much fun, playing with the fabric dye and choosing which colors went with which patterns.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 11, 2013
8:01 AM

Post #9415285

I got two flowers cut out yesterday. I made the patterns from what Qwilter sent me then put them on freezer paper and the ironed them on to the fabric. It is going to peel off easily but now I don't want to peel it off till I get the backing fabric that I ordered. Let me tell you that cutting these puppies out is no small task either. eheheh but I think they will look awesome on the backing.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2013
8:03 AM

Post #9415289

very pretty Jan !!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2013
8:09 AM

Post #9415303

O yes! Are you going to turn the edges under and do by hand, or use the machine on the raw edge. Now that I think about it, it would almost have to be turned I assume.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 11, 2013
10:31 AM

Post #9415463

Oh by hand to be sure. Just slow and easy. I will have to baste them all down then just needle turn as I go. Ewwww scary. heheh
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2013
11:00 AM

Post #9415510

Plumaria & Trumpet, correct???? Love the fabric.

I was always amazed how quickly the needle turn goes once you get started.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 11, 2013
12:23 PM

Post #9415622

Wow and double wow is about all I can say. My hat is off to all who is doing these. :-)
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 11, 2013
1:08 PM

Post #9415694

It is Trumpet and I think Hibiscus or Orchid. can't remember.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2013
3:35 PM

Post #9415855

quiltville.com/scrapbargellopf.html

This is the link to the quilt I made in class yesterday. Great way to use up all your scraps. A couple ladies used jelly rolls.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 11, 2013
3:53 PM

Post #9415874

Wow qwilter, thats a bit more piecing then I want to do just now. eheheheh
but great quilt
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2013
4:44 PM

Post #9415944

do you do that along the same lines as an around the world quilt is done?

Ive been sewing 2 x 7 stips together as enders and leaders to make this postage stamp quilt out of scraps

http://www.redpepperquilts.com/2012/04/postage-stamp-quilt-tutorial.html

If ive already posted this before...sorry.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 13, 2013
10:37 AM

Post #9417802

Wow, that looks complicated until you read through the instructions. Still a lots of work but certainly would use up the scraps.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 13, 2013
5:56 PM

Post #9418275

Look at this awesome selection of Batiks, I'm so excited. Thank you so very very much Taters. Your my hero or is that Heroin. that always sounds like a drugy to me. heheh

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2013
6:34 PM

Post #9418322

WOW Jan, those are some BRIGHT oranges!!! whoooooooeeeeeeeee! Knock your eyes and bleed bright!! I LIKE 'em!!
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 13, 2013
8:53 PM

Post #9418442

Actually they are lighter and more in the yellow range but my camera plays tricks now and then. Some of them are darker then the others though. Its a great combination and I can't wait to get started with it.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 14, 2013
10:58 AM

Post #9418995

Nice selection!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America