Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Pottery, Clay and Ceramics: SO...

Communities > Forums > Pottery, Clay and Ceramics
bookmark
Forum: Pottery, Clay and CeramicsReplies: 12, Views: 64
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 9, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9353937

atthe urging of my mentor and friend I applied to ther gallery for consideration. It was against my better judgement as I said I wasn't good enough but she said I was. I sent in the application and took in several pieces of my combined clay agate ware... and was turned down. They said that although thry liked the idea they felt that the edges were too sharp and some of the glaze pulled away from the edges. Now my Mentor is the ONLY clay person in this place...
THey said I should refine things then reapply...
Nah I am done. She got my hopes up even when I KNEW it wasn't good enough...crying does nothing.. I Have to harden my heart.
Deb
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 9, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #9354069

after thinking... I am going to smooth the edges on my leaves, make sure the glazes are covered and re-apply.
Deb
Deb
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

December 9, 2012
4:50 PM

Post #9354073

don't let them get yeah down...
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 9, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9354093

I am already there.
Luvmypond
Troy, OH

December 9, 2012
7:49 PM

Post #9354212

I would do the same thing you are doing. Having your things in a gallery would be awesome.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

December 10, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9354579

I have a friend/customer that hangs out at a Gallery/coffeeshop ( now remember I live in the woods of east Texas) in a really small town she thought my glass should be in there .. keeps telling me to go talk to the guy that she tells him about my glass all the time.. well one day we were in town so I did .gave him my glass page info so he could look .. he told me it was a 50/50 cut .. but I have never heard back from him guess he didn't like my recycled glass. but thats a good thing as im not giving anyone 50/50 ...
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

December 10, 2012
9:10 PM

Post #9355225

It's SOOOO hard to have pieces judged and poked and prodded after you've put your heart and soul into them. I hate having that experience, but it's part of selling. This is why I give most of my stuff away...LOL!
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 12, 2012
9:56 AM

Post #9356397

THanks Deni and IMA,
You are so right IMA.. I usually give my things away. WHat I have been doding with the clay is not common. I combine red, white and black clays and make it into AGATE...then I have also been using alot of my black clay and finding huge Broad Maple Leaves and make beautiful hand built bowls... I was so proud of what I had done... but when I walked into that gallery... I KNEW I was screwed.
deb
ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

December 12, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9356617

So I tried selling at two fairs, sold two bowls and one was to my sister :-( It was very depressing but also right after the stock market crashed last time so I like to think folks were just being frugal.

I give a lot of my stuff away but my friends and family are getting a bit bored with my gifts so try not to do that all the time. You all should see the room I have FULL of pottery, I couldn't even tell you how much is there I keep saying I'm gonna post it on Etsy but then I don't, partially cause I fear no one will buy and partially cause I fear they will and I'll have to figure out how to deal with the tax man...well if I ever lose my job maybe it'll become a source of income :-)
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

December 13, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9357640

50/50 is not uncommon for a gallery with some chops. But if they don't have a serious customer base and proper display and publicity then 1/3 is more fair. I have to pay 75.00 up front for our studio show,no matter what I sell and then pay an additionsl 15% of total amount sold. Plus I do have to work a couple of shifts at the show too, as well as doing some per-show jobs to be part of it. But I expect to clear 500.00 which is nothing compared to others who will pocket more than 3000.00 bucks for 3 week ends or more. Some potters in the show will go in the hole, but stepping up an trying to produce items that the public will buy is a good learning experience. I do it to force me to get going and to meet deadlines and to push me to produce a cohesive body of work to display. Not sure I am close to that yet. Trying. Please don't be discouraged. Finding the right venue is essential. I love my studio as they have a solid Customer base having had shows for 30 years, but now I may be moving to a studio that has no shows. Scary thought to try to do it on my own through retail stores or fairs. Etsy means packing and shipping which would be my downfall. Not easy. Patti

This message was edited Dec 18, 2012 2:30 PM
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9360193

I pulled out of our local art alliance. Last year they begged me to join and participate. The new person running things wasn't communicating---said my email bounced. But the person she got it from didn't have any trouble sending emails to me. Then when I finally did get an email, it was pretty unpleasant and told me I needed to bring in new work. I was willing to do that if I could find out when someone would have the doors unlocked. When I finally got THAT information and packed pieces to take in, it was over an hour before she actually showed up. My time's more valuable than that. They had rearranged things and my remaining items were crammed in a case in a corner in the dark near the floor. I decided I've got other priorities right now. If they get a new manager I might reconsider, but for now...not so much. OK, I'm done whining now...LOL!
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 16, 2012
8:02 PM

Post #9360299

OMLORD!
THank Goodness Chris's gallery is very open and airy and pieces are all out in the open.
I emailed and asked how many new pieces her Board wanted to re-review... she said 4-5?
I said I have TWO BLack clay leaves that sre drying and NO new agate ware. So we'll see what happens. ... I dunno about this. I make me pieces and then what? They sit an dgather dust.

Deb
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9361396

Maybe do some research and see if you can find out who's on the board and what their mediums are? That might help you decide.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Pottery, Clay and Ceramics Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Kiln fired clay questions... WUVIE 144 Sep 1, 2009 3:13 PM
Claylovers' Topics: Bios / Work / Glazes / Firings, etc! #2 zenpotter 66 Jan 8, 2009 7:22 PM
Pottery,clay jcoats123 25 Jan 11, 2009 3:01 AM
Pottery,clay,ceramics,kilns, firing, sculpture, etc. jcoats123 192 Sep 10, 2009 7:52 PM
completed one pot jcoats123 6 Jun 23, 2013 9:02 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America