CLOSED: Decorated ROCK Swap - Interest Thread

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Side note --- > Gourdbeader will soon be conducting an online tutorial of how to create your own beaded gourd. Interest / sign-up thread is OPEN:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1292003/

###############

For this Rock Swap.....
Subscribers in the US, Canada, and Mexico are all Welcome to participate! There will be no price limit for this one since we'll basically be decorating a rock found on our property or nearby. You can decorate yours any way you like. Examples might include decoupage, paint, stickers, mosaics, or broken pottery, tiles, plates or ceramics.....or a combination.....use your imagination and get those creative juices flowing! Our rocks will be used Outside, so please be sure to use a weather-proof sealer.

Just to give you a couple of ideas, the first two pics show rocks I've received. The last pic shows slate rocks I decorated with mosaics and ceramic add-ons.

Sign-Up ends midnight, New Year's Eve, and you’ll receive your Buddy’s name shortly afterwards in a D-mail. Reveal your Buddy's name when you receive your package. All packages need to be mailed no later than the week of January 14th with either a USPS Delivery Confirmation Number or a UPS Tracking Number that you Dmail to me after mailing. If you decide to decorate a thin or a fragile rock, or you believe there's a chance yours will break in transit, please wrap well in bubble wrap and add Insurance. You may decorate more than one rock or add gardening-related items for your Buddy if you wish. To ensure privacy, please do not post tracking numbers directly on our threads.

#####

Fine print is simple.....

If you have not participated in a swap I’ve moderated, prior to posting please D-mail your name, mailing address, a valid phone number and your email address for my log.
Your Subscription needs to be current through March 2013.

#####

So who's ready to Rock besides me?

This message was edited Dec 26, 2012 8:57 PM

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

Saved for Participants

Bettypauze / Betty -- > Rec'd from Gourdbeader
deejay9 / Susie -- > Rec'd from happgarden
DEMinPA / Don -- > Rec'd from rvnsbrk
Domehomedee / Dee -- > Rec'd from FruitOfTheVine
FruitOfTheVine / Susan -- > Rec'd from goldhillal
goldhillal / Crystal -- > Rec'd from deejay9
Goober_Fairy / Goober -- > Rec'd from Domehomedee
Gourdbeader / Jan -- > Rec'd from DEMinPA
happgarden / Joyce -- > Rec'd from Mud_Elf
Lanakila -- > Rec'd from Bettypauze
Mud_Elf / Kris -- > Rec'd from Lanakila
rvnsbrk / Neener -- > Rec'd from Goober_Fairy

This message was edited Feb 18, 2013 10:41 PM

Brazoria, TX(Zone 9b)

well, I was ready to rock. But looks like I will have to pass on the rock swap.

This message was edited Dec 17, 2012 10:24 AM

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

ME TOOO :)

Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL(Zone 7b)

Mee.. I wanta paint a Rock!!!!!

Please sign up Miss Goober too as she will be here over Christmas Holidays and can pint hers then too.

Holly Springs, NC(Zone 7b)

Awwwww, that first rock is labeled as being from Clarksville, TN. I lived there off and on for 30 years so that place has a very special space in my heart.

I dunno about painting, but I'm sure I can figure out some way to spiff up a rock. I'm in!

Huh.... I used to live there too!!!
LOL....

I have 2 rocks started already!!!!

Selinsgrove, PA(Zone 5b)

Add me to the list.

Don

Alrighty, we're off to a great start. and our list of our participants so far has been updated.

Small World you two lived in Clarksville. Cville_Gardener sent that rock to me in 2010 and it still looks the same today since it was sealed so well.

It's great having you join us again, Don.

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I have been the recipient of one of Fruity's gorgeous rocks. Fantastic work.

(((((( NEENER. ))))))
so hay to see you posting.. are you joining us????? Goober stole my rock you painted me... Sigh.. bad Goober.!!

Neener, I was looking for a picture of it, must have filed it off the card. It's in my mind's eye though :)

Victoria Harbour, ON

Please sign me up..as for mailing to Canada, I will make arrangements for it to be sent to a friend in USA and can get it next time I visit with her..

Sure thing, Betty. Just Dmail the information where you'd like your package to land.
We missed you for the Christmas swap.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Ahhhh usually someone let's me know..now how did I miss out??bet all are getting the nicest of gifts...

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Hi I want to join......

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I'll think about this. A lot going on here these days so I may lose the timeline. I might be able to come up with something that is OK.

Just spent all day going though packed craft boxes, found paint, brushes, rocks, tools, and shipping boxes. Goober and I are now ready to paint!!!!

Well when she gets here that is....LOL

Sure thing, happ.

Neener, you are far too modest! Come on and play, you know you want to.

See, Elfie already has her inspiration ready to go.

I Have mine started now i just need my name as to who to send to :)

Goober is so excited she calls everyday with news ideas,, who ever gets her might want to get a truck to move the box she sends....LOL

Arroyo Grande, CA(Zone 9a)

May I join? I'll send you my info. I already have a great idea for my rock(s).

Absolutely, Dee.

For anyone lurking who'd like to join the fun, don't be bashful and get your name in the hat. Whether you're a novice like me or a seasoned artist, you're free to decorate a rock, or two, as you wish. Sign-ups don't end until New Year's Eve.

Hey I Found DECO PODGE & Hot Glue dose great Adding things to rock, I Have been haven so much fun & I sure Hope my Partner
will like this one :) Its Drying then I Can add more when I Get home later .
have a great day all

Mine are just about ready for the finishing touches. Yeah! Early for once but then I have no excuse since they were started last Summer when it was blazing hot and the A/C felt so good. Free A/C today, just step outside and the howling wind will just about blow you away.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

I want in this swap.
I was waiting to try it before I said I would participate. It is so much fun. I am not any sort of expert artist, but it turned out well enough so I guess I'll not be ashamed. (I hope)
Invited a friend over this afternoon and we painted several small ones. I may use this for Relaxation Therapy!!!

Arroyo Grande, CA(Zone 9a)

I agree, rock decorating is fun. My daughter came over and saw my painted rocks and said "hey, I think I'd like to do that".
I may have to try a glue project on one, I have lots of cool garden theme stuff I could glue on a rock.

wanted to share this one that I Just done for my SISTER for Xmas Mind you She Is a Cherry Buff & her house Looks like it :)))
& while at the craft store i found this material & WA LA I Have A Great Rock for on here DECK :))))

well i have more baking to do today so back later

Thumbnail by deejay9
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Great job Sue!

Sure thing, Crystal. We're in the same boat not being overly artsy but the enjoyment is sharing what we can do and in your case got to spend time with your neighbor.

Last year about this time when my SIL came to visit we were in the midst of the Decorated Rock Swap then. She enjoyed decorating a couple to take with her and noticed what I'm working on this time while she was just home for early Christmas. I'd already packed the supplies, so instead we had just enough time to squeeze in working a 504 piece puzzle. That is traditionally what we have always done while she's here. Always fun with lots of girl gabbing going on. The puzzle was the pits to work though, no interlocking pieces. I finally finished it while she was in the air and couldn't wait to put it back in the box!

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

True, some puzzles are more aggravation than fun. I wish I had someone to work one with sometimes. Nobody in my family wants to fool with it. I don't know where we would set it up this time of year anyway. The whole house seems to be jumbled up. I wish it did not have to be that way, but I can't keep it straight under the best of circumstances. I guess neatness is not my forte' and I should just accept that and not let it bug me.
Nephew coming for chili lunch today. I better get up and gt going.
O, another thing. Are we limited to sending just one rock? Mine would probably take more than one to be the equivalent of one of some other people. heehee While a larger rock might be more eye-catching, maybe shipping would be a problem. However, guess u can send up to 70lbs in the $15 flat rate priority box. Or does that apply to all flat rate boxes?

Flat rate is the way to go the bigger the Rock :) Gm all off to our xmas party today so you all have a great day back later

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

We love doing puzzles. Just don't have any room here to leave one set up and then there is the feline issue. I can see the pieces now. Scattered all over the house. :)

Toledo, OR(Zone 8a)

Count me in. Deejay, I was just about ready to say you are an awesome artist then I saw where you say fabric. I still love it. I was thinking, WOW, those strawberries look so real. heheh

I also want to remind all of you to keep an eye out for the Valentine swap that will be more different then any other swap. I will be posting early January, so keep looking for it.

This should be fun. I have a friend that has been painting rocks for so long but her eyes got so bad she had to stop. She has painted an entire Hobbit village, the whole of Lonesome Dove, and several other scenes.

Jan , They are cherries for my Big sister Loves cherries & When I saw the material I was going to make her a throw pillow , But then I Had to change my mind on the pillow when I happen to lay the cloth on the rock for a sec & it hit me like a rock what if :) hehe so that put my mind into gear for this took it over to her this morning befor i went to our xmas party & she just loved it so that was pleasing :)))

Well we had a Beauty full day with the kids I'm worn out from the games & Laughter :) got to get ressted up so off to relax with a movie
ya all have a great evening :)

Evening Everyone!

We're glad you're joining us, Jan. You and your friend are both very talented.

You worked for days getting ready for the party, Susie. Better you than me with all those kiddos excited about Christmas.

Sure Crystal and anybody else wondering. You may decorate more than one rock or add gardening-related items for your Buddy if you wish.

Started feeling cruddy this afternoon with a rolling tummy. We had fried oyster Po Boys for lunch, probably too rich for me since I rarely fry anything, especially deep fry because it seems a waste of oil as it won't be used again. Oyster shooters would have settled better, me thinks. Might hit the couch and watch the 49'ers in a bit. Was MIL's birthday, she seemed to be in a good mood today.

Toledo, OR(Zone 8a)

I almost lost my husband before I married him because I fixed him fried oysters. Didn't know he's not a big seafood eater and Oysters were the worst thing to fix him. He made me promise never to fix them for him again. That was 24 years ago and I have never made them again.
I love all seafood. raw or otherwise. Oyster shooters, Yum. My brother and I used to power through a few trays of those on happy hour at our favorite place in Newport Beach, California. Ym

Thought I'd check in since the 49'ers ~ Seahawks game is a romp in favor of Seattle. The 49er's are a sentimental team since I used to live in the San Fran burbs. Your husband was lucky you found out early he couldn't tolerate Oysters. There are a lot of people allergic to shellfish and the reaction can make them deathly sick. Hubs and I have no problem and know the Oysters today were fresh. Live and learn. I just finished a large platter of Sushi yesterday, all mine nibbled on for over several days, and think I could eat some kind of fish every day, raw or cooked. Your happy hour recollection is similar to mine in Pawley's Island, SC when I first fell in love with Oyster shooters. We and another couple went through several dozen on the half shell before dinner was served and kept the waitress hopping bringing us more Bud Lights. All because of the Tabasco Sauce, at least that was my excuse.

Anybody remember the movie Forrest Gump? I could eat my weight in Shrimp anyway they're prepared. Looking forward to Shrimp & Cheesy Grits for breakfast Christmas morning.

Toledo, OR(Zone 8a)

He isn't allergic to them he just hates seafood. Can you imagine growing up in Southern California near the beach and not liking seafood. Sometimes he will eat some fish and chips but that is pushing it. I would give my left foot for a lobster tail. When I want seafood, I have to fix him a steak then I can have what ever I want but thats just more work for me.
Sorry we got off tract here, Back to rocks. Hummmmm rock lobsters. yum... mussels.... clams, heheheh

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Gourdbeader-- I was wondering how you got your name. Care to share?

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.