Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Figgy pudding, English Christmas pudding, and boiled plum pudding for the holiday season: Skimmia pud

Communities > Forums > Article: Figgy pudding, English Christmas pudding, and boiled plum pudding for the holiday season
bookmark
Forum: Article: Figgy pudding, English Christmas pudding, and boiled plum pudding for the holiday seasonReplies: 2, Views: 15
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gabrielfortune
Brighton
United Kingdom

December 10, 2012
3:56 AM

Post #9354342

I notice the pud in your photo at the top has a sprig of Skimmia in it in place of the usual holly. I've always liked the spicey exotic basil/coriander fragrance of Skimmia foliage. Being a citrus/curry-leaf relative I'm sure it's not poisonous, but have you ever heard of it being used in the kitchen? Did the pud take on any of the scent?

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 10, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9354462

Oh my goodness, I was afraid this might happen!

First of all, all the pictures came from other sources; none of them are mine. (They are all credited at the end.) Secondly, I have never eaten pudding from the UK, although I think I might enjoy it.

And finally, I certainly didn't notice what the green-leaves-and-red-berries garnish on top is; I assumed it was holly. It's NOT holly? Let me see if I can find Skimmia in our files.

Thank you for this interesting comment! More research is always fun. I'll try to get back to you soon (my time).

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 10, 2012
7:16 AM

Post #9354522

OK, it looks a lovely plant, which I may add to my northern garden (if I ever get back there). Actually, it looks like it's too cold for it there!

One source says in large quantities, skimmia probably is poisonous. http://pnwplants.wsu.edu/PlantDisplay.aspx?PlantID=125 But it's also touted as highly fragrant, both the male flowers and the female fruit. Like holly, you'll need both genders to produce the fruit.

I love fragrant flowers and foliage, but it appears that in this case, you should keep the enjoy the fragrance with your nose and not your palate.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Figgy pudding, English Christmas pudding, and boiled plum pudding for the holiday season Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Christmas pud quiltjean 1 Dec 11, 2012 2:44 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America