Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Bird Watching: A sad day

Communities > Forums > Bird Watching
bookmark
Forum: Bird WatchingReplies: 4, Views: 43
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
snowtop
Orange, CA

December 10, 2012
9:13 AM

Post #9354646

A neighbor is chopping down trees - so---bye bye birdies. I am stressed.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 10, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9354652

You can be grateful it is not during breeding season. We live in the country. We had a neighbor cut down trees when several species of birds would have been nesting already. And his reason... to replace the fence line where the trees had grown up through. About 500 feet of trees were chopped and burned. This was a very sore spot with several other of our neighbors. Since that time the bluebirds have left. We believe it did bring the Cardinals to our yard for nesting.

Are there other trees in your neighborhood? Do you have trees yourself or shrubs for winter protection?

snowtop
Orange, CA

December 10, 2012
11:02 AM

Post #9354732

Southern California, where we live, does not like trees----it likes profit!!!!!!!!!!!
snowtop
Orange, CA

December 10, 2012
11:06 AM

Post #9354735

I meant cement--the same. Ugly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. We used to be surrounded by Orange groves. Oranges are food-cement is disaster coming.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 11, 2012
9:12 AM

Post #9355561

Yes, that is terrible and I understand your frustrations. There is not much we can do to change other people, but have you thought about what you can do in your yard that might be able to offset the loss of those trees? Even just to help a few of the birds?

Last month, we drove back to Omaha, NE (where we used to live) and I was just devastated by all the additional development going on. I don't like golf courses for all the chemicals and mowing they "must" do for a perfect course, but at least they have trees and such to provide nesting areas. And overall golf courses are quiet. The golf course near our old home was sold. Buildings and concrete have replaced the grass and trees. Very ugly... but can I stop them? No, I am trying not to make my blood pressure rise over that and work on providing a habitat for the birds here. At this time, we are blessed with a few acres to do this with, but I know people with less area can do amazing things with plantings and such.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Watching Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Best Trees and Shrubs for the Bird Garden? tabasco 234 Jul 2, 2011 1:55 AM
Show me your feeders!...Part 2.... Sheila_FW 302 Nov 12, 2010 11:27 AM
Rose-breasted Grosbeak DonnaB 47 Jul 8, 2011 1:39 AM
Cedar Waxwing Photos duckmother 13 Oct 17, 2007 1:38 AM
Trumpeter Swans Grasmussen 17 Sep 7, 2008 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America