Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: A Dairy Farmer's Journal: Cows: Good article.

Communities > Forums > Article: A Dairy Farmer's Journal: Cows
bookmark
Forum: Article: A Dairy Farmer's Journal: CowsReplies: 3, Views: 6
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cybercrone
Toronto,, ON
(Zone 6a)

December 10, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #9354727

When I was growing up, had an uncle who was crowned Jersey King three years running at the national Ag Fair. He quit showing after that - at least the cows, then showed his soybeans.
But I sure loved spending time in the summers on the farm. In those days the cows were hand-stripped - don't know if they still are - and of course one of the first tricks I learned was to shoot a warm stream of creamy milk directly into my mouth. I loved laying my head against the clows flanks and taking in their warm 'cow smell' while I was stripping, and then getting the big jug of milk from the cooler to take in for our breakfast.
It's really the only time I have ever liked milk.

And as an aside, I think that you will find that 'beller' is just a corruption of 'bellow'. Many country words have made that substitution of the 'r' for the 'w'.
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 14, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9358017

lol, the old squirt in the mouth. With the new milkers, computerized and all, there is less need for hand stripping. Poor kids and cats.

You're right about beller, but I like to think that a beller is a less menacing sound than a bellow. Maybe bulls bellow and cows beller?
cybercrone
Toronto,, ON
(Zone 6a)

December 24, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9365973

Anything is possible. The old farmer across the road used to yell at us kids to 'quit yer bellerin' when we were playing in his pine windbreak, and especially when some one got hurt by falling out of a tree or tripping.

And yes, kids and barn cats are sure missing a treat if everything is now done completely by machine.

Have a wonderful Christmas Kathleen!
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 24, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9365998

lol, Ah, the memories. Happy Christmas to you, too

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: A Dairy Farmer's Journal: Cows Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Excellent and fun article sallyg 12 Jan 21, 2008 10:07 PM
Love your article doccat5 2 Jul 20, 2009 8:24 PM
so true! blue_eyes 0 Jan 19, 2008 3:10 PM
Memories! DianeEG 2 Jan 26, 2008 2:47 AM
Great Article KathyJo 2 Jan 23, 2008 7:20 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America