Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Deck the House with Boughs of Holly...and Other Stuff: Leave the Juniper Berries on the Trees

Communities > Forums > Article: Deck the House with Boughs of Holly...and Other Stuff
bookmark
Forum: Article: Deck the House with Boughs of Holly...and Other StuffReplies: 1, Views: 8
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hamptons
Watermill, NY

December 10, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #9354832

Juniper berries are a vital food source for birds in winter. I watch the birds strip the trees bare of berries within a week sometimes. All kinds of birds in one tree -- winter robins (many prefer not to migrate in my area) waxwings, catbirds, white throated sparrows, song sparrows, Juncos, mockingbirds, blackbirds, goldfinches. It's like one of those holiday cards that shows all different species of birds in a Christmas tree, only in real life. The trees seem alive with activity as birds hop up, down, and fly in and out of the tree.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 12, 2012
12:36 PM

Post #9356494

Most "bird food" (berries, seed pods, etc.) stays out in the yard, but I do take some for my own use (human-edibles, decorating, seed swaps).

You're right about those congregations of foraging birds -- so fun!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Deck the House with Boughs of Holly...and Other Stuff Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wonderful ideas! critterologist 3 Dec 13, 2012 4:11 AM
Wish I Saw this Before... Tall_Shadow 0 Dec 21, 2009 3:41 PM
Great ideas! Plantedz 0 Dec 10, 2012 4:39 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America