Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Carolina Gardening: Boy! Was I Naive!

Communities > Forums > Carolina Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Carolina GardeningReplies: 2, Views: 86
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gessieviolet
Saluda, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 10, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9355002

When I shouted those words to my wife from behind the shredder/chipper she laughingly ask: "You're 71 years old and think you are naive?"

Well, I like that wording better than "Boy! was I stupid!"

I decided to gather leaves off the streets this year for my garden.

Got loads and loads, thinking "All I have to do is run them through a shredder." The problem is I have never used (or watched anybody use) shredder. Thought all I had to do was dump a bag in and let'er rip!

Yeah, right! Used a lawnmower, and a leaf vac--gosh a big shredder should be a lot faster! Glad I only borrowed and didn't buy a shredder/chipper.

Have spent hours on these babies and still have oodles to go, but I love the texture of what is coming out.

Okay, I am either stupid or naive, take your pick, but I am learning a lot, getting plenty of exercise, and am looking forward to using my harvest of leaves next spring.

This is a picture of first loads of leaves. The pile is now to the gate and stacked higher.

Thumbnail by gessieviolet
Click the image for an enlarged view.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 11, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9355517

I run over leaves several times with a lawn mower, and then put them into large plastic pots to decompose into beautiful black dirt.
StonoRiver
Johns Island, SC

December 11, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9355934

When I first moved here 22 years ago gessiev, I noticed that a lot of locals dutifully raked up all their leaves, put them in bags, and left them curbside for pick-up by city/county trucks. I thought I had struck a gold mine! Every Monday morning, I'd drive around Yuppy neighborhoods and pick them up. Because the leaves were already bagged, I simply had to dump the bagged leaves into my shredder and voila!...instant compost/mulch. Worked great the first year...I tilled 3" of leaves into the soil in the fall, and still had enough leaves to serve a 3" mulch on top. Figured I had it made! Worked great! So I did again the next year, and had 8000 Alocasia plants spring up everywhere in the garden! What a mess. I'm still digging them out 20 years later. My mistake was not COMPOSTING the "leaves" before using them..Painfull "shortcut" that turned into a 20 yr battle... Just sayin'...be careful! They put more than just dead leaves in those bags!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carolina Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helllo Snoutherner 16 Apr 13, 2007 8:22 PM
Beautiful day Rosykay 14 Mar 20, 2009 11:32 PM
Flame azalea spartacusaby 20 Jun 21, 2007 4:17 AM
What is it? CarolinaTracer 6 May 5, 2007 1:05 PM
Hardiness success stories Tropicanna 102 Oct 16, 2007 7:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America