-
AuthorContent
SavvyDaze
Lady's Island, SC
(Zone 8b)

December 10, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9355126

My Alocasia Mayan Mask flowered about Dec. 1st. Once the flower died, one of the leaves (the newest one) started becoming soft & floppy. The stem is no longer upright, but slowly beginning to flop and makes more of a C shape.The leaf is still dark green with no signs of yellowing. I have looked everywhere for an answer as to what is causing the leaf softening and stem flopping, but can't find one.

A little bit of info: It is potted in a 12 inch pot & has 2 leaves about 3-4 feet tall. It is in front of the bay window (east facing) in the kitchen and gets good sun until about 1pm and has bright light after that. I use a humidifier and mist once or twice a day as well. It has done the guttation (dripping water from leaf tips) thing almost nightly for a month since I brought it inside, but I noticed it stopped doing it right after flowering. The whole plant has done wonderfully since bringing it inside, until about 3 days ago when this leaf started drooping and softening. I watered it once I saw it was starting to droop, and the soil is moist, but not soggy.

The 1st picture is a close up of the leaf in question. You can see it is turning soft and the tip is flopping and pointing down. You can also see the stem beginning the "C" curve.

In the 2nd picture, you can see the droopiness of the leaf in comparison to the other leaf.

Any info would be helpful.
Thanks!

Thumbnail by SavvyDaze   Thumbnail by SavvyDaze
Click an image for an enlarged view.

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 18, 2013
4:05 AM

Post #9388896

My african mask is doing the same thing - maybe they are going dormant.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

May 5, 2013
12:37 PM

Post #9509211

Savvy,
Did it make it?

Belle
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2013
2:23 PM

Post #9509389

Mine didn't - four of them.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

May 5, 2013
5:23 PM

Post #9509631

I hate it when i lose something.

Belle

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Aroids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
How to ID elephant ears!!! bwilliams 37 Jul 5, 2012 11:15 AM
Colocasia Thai Giant- pics please AuntB 54 Aug 23, 2008 3:03 PM
Aroids to trade: skilledwithands 23 Jun 13, 2008 12:41 AM
The most over looked aroid in the araceae family. bwilliams 17 Apr 29, 2010 8:18 PM
Which of these is A. podophyllum and what's the other? Carter 7 Oct 1, 2007 3:24 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America