Photo by Melody

Beginner Gardening Questions: What is doing this to my Dracaena?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 5, Views: 43
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
SavvyDaze
Lady's Island, SC
(Zone 8b)

December 10, 2012
8:31 PM

Post #9355199

What in the world is making little cut marks in my Dracaena leaves? It is only happening in the center where new leaves emerge.

Thumbnail by SavvyDaze
Click the image for an enlarged view.

purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9356278

That's bizarre. I've never seen munch marks in a pattern like that. Have you looked down into the crown/tip to look for a critter? Probably. Did this happen inside or out? Good looking plant otherwise...
SavvyDaze
Lady's Island, SC
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9356287

It was outdoors until a month or so ago & it didn't have those marks before I brought it inside. Even before I brought it inside, I treated it with Horticulture Oil - in fact all my plants were treated with it before being brought inside (including the soil). I did look inside the crown and didn't see any type of insect, but even so, I dripped a little Safer insect killer inside it just to be safe LOL I have 2 new leaves that came up, but they are only like 2 inches long and they don't have munch marks yet. I guess I will keep an eye on them and see if it happens to them, too, then go from there.

I haven't seen any kinds of marks like this before, either. Whatever critter did this, and I assume it was a critter, is pretty talented LOL
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 12, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #9356490

From the way the marks are in a similar place and similar shape on multiple leaves, it looks to me like some damage that was done before the leaves emerged--maybe there was something in there that took a little chunk out, or it was just a growth defect of some sort. Then as the leaves emerged, it ends up looking like something's been chewing on a bunch of them. I'd just keep an eye out and see if you notice more of it, and if you don't then it's probably nothing to worry about.
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 12, 2012
9:10 PM

Post #9356957

I also think it is mechanical damage when the leaves were in the bud or just starting to open. Perhaps a squirrel or something took a nip, then decided it was not to his taste.
SavvyDaze
Lady's Island, SC
(Zone 8b)

December 13, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9357083

I will definitely keep it eye on it for sure! I noticed another 2 leaves popping up, that makes 4 new ones, and no damage on them.

Thanks for replying, everyone! :)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America