Photo by Melody

Article: Popular Christmas Tree Varieties: Which One is Right for You?: Couple of corrections!

Communities > Forums > Article: Popular Christmas Tree Varieties: Which One is Right for You?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Popular Christmas Tree Varieties: Which One is Right for You?Replies: 3, Views: 30
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

December 11, 2012
2:11 AM

Post #9355288

The correct spelling for Pinus sylvestris is Scots Pine, the spelling 'scot*h' is (with the single exception for whisky) offensive to people in Scotland and shouldn't be used.

The plant you show as a cedar is actually a juniper (Juniperus), not a cedar (Cedrus) - I've added a pic of a cedar below. Cedars are not very good for christmas trees, as they shed their needles very quickly when they dry out.

The plant you show as a Leyland Cypress is actually a Lawson's Cypress (Chamaecyparis lawsoniana); Leyland Cypress has narrower sprays and larger cones (second pic below)

Resin

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

December 11, 2012
2:13 AM

Post #9355289

Pics didn't appear first time!!

Cedar (left), Leyland Cypress (right)

Thumbnail by Resin   Thumbnail by Resin         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 11, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9355886

Thank you for your input! I've removed the term "Scotch Pine" from the article. I had no idea it was offensive, as that is the term I've most frequently heard and seen for that type of pine.

I used pictures from Flickr for the cedar and cypress, and should have done more checking to confirm that they were actually the plants listed. Thanks for posting the correct pictures.

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 11, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9355889

I considered how to correct the portion on the cedar/juniper, and decided it would be best to just remove it from the article. It is not one of the more commonly used Christmas trees, and I didn't want to leave inaccurate information/pictures in place. I hope this doesn't cause any confusion.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Popular Christmas Tree Varieties: Which One is Right for You? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Norfolk Pine CLScott 2 Dec 11, 2012 5:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America