Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Seed Germination: seeds without embryos.

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 2, Views: 49
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
AndyBonsai
other
Germany

December 11, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #9355690

hello,

someone sent me gustavia seeds. they looked great and were very fresh, they started to split up, but there came never a sprout. today i cut a few seeds in two and later in several pieces to look how they look inside. there were were no embroys inside them! how is that possible? everything is great with the seeds, they are fleshy and in an excelent condition, but like allready mentioned no embryo (not even a very little one)! i know exactly how an inner seed and embryo looks, i even read the book: seeds: ecology, biogeography, and evolution of dormancy and germination. when they are not polinated, why do they look like well developed seed ?
art33
Florissant, MO

December 11, 2012
4:16 PM

Post #9355843

Can't explain why your seeds look so well developed but obviously they were not pollinated, which resulted in empty seeds. According to http://tomclothier.hort.net/ (under "A note on Seed Viability") "Incomplete pollination results in a high proportion of empty seeds. They look like seeds, but there is no embryo, or one which is only partly developed. Some plants require 15 to 20 visits to each flower by a pollinator in order to produce a good seed pod or fruit. Even then, the seeds have to be collected after they have fully ripened."

Sorry to hear about the problem you're having. If you still have some seeds left, try putting them in water and plant the ones that sink. I doubt that an empty seed would sink.

Hope this helps,

Art

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 14, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9358238

We had a bad year here for pine nuts several (6?) years ago. Pinon pines had cones, cones had normal sized nut shells, but shells were hollow, nearly empty. I never heard any explanation of why it happened, but it was pretty wide-spread in this area. Pinons do not depend on insect pollination. It is weird that your seeds appeared fleshy - but it is similar to our pine nut that made empty shells - Usually there is just an empty scale on the cone, similar to blank spots on a corn cob.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America