Photo by Melody
We want to hear from you! Please take this short, anonymous survey to help us improve the DG home page.

Beginner Gardening: Are Torenias a long blooming flowering plant?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening
Forum: Beginner GardeningReplies: 1, Views: 23
Add to Bookmarks
Wailuku, HI
(Zone 14)

December 11, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9355882

I'm looking for a flowering plant like this (love the color, the yellow spot, and delicate look of the petals) but I couldn't find out how long this plant stays in bloom. I was thinking of giving it as a gift to a friend on Molokai Hawaii, but I wouldn't want to learn it only blooms for a couple of weeks out of every year. Her home is in a fairly dry part of the island with full sun, if that makes a difference to it's blooming life span.

If this isn't long blooming, any other ideas for a flowering plant similar to this in having mixed bright colored petals, staying in bloom at least two to three months of the year in a location like Hawaii, with temperatures always above 72 degrees year round?

Thanks for considering my questions.

Jean Tessmer Maui Hawaii

This message was edited Dec 12, 2012 2:03 PM

Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2012
9:59 PM

Post #9361980

Hi Jean. Here is a bit of info on Torenias for you. They do not tolerate afternoon sun but they are very heat tolerant and long blooming in morning sun and shade

These are all fairly good suggestions in this link... browse through a really colorful group of long blooming colorful plants. (if you can get past the beautiful Kauai picture...Grin),0

For more suggestions, just do a search for annuals or perennials that are long blooming in your zone 14.

Hope that helps.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America