Post #9355924

Anybody out there growing hazelnuts?
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 13, 2012
9:26 AM

Post #9357279

Not me! Don't even know what a hazel nut tree looks like .. is it pretty? When I lived in north florida I had a hickory nut tree next to my house of which half of it hung over my tin roof .. you can well imagine what it sounded like when they began to fall!
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 13, 2012
2:41 PM

Post #9357514

I've never seen a hazel nut tree/shrub either, but according to DG plantfile info, most are cold hardy from zone 4a - 8b, and have pretty fall color. I'm always suspicious about a plant's viability in our neck of the woods, though, when I can find no local info. Same goes for the Texas Mountain Laurel, a plant I bought a few months ago from a nursery in Columbia. The tag info didn't mention that it can't grow in acidic soil, and I'm miffed it was marketed here in the midlands. I bought 2, and I'm considering growing them in containers, so I can control the soil PH.

I have a love/hate relationship with hickory nut trees. The leaves are so pretty, and I love the fruit (although I don't have the patience or skill to shell them), but the fallen nuts are really rough on my lawn mowers. Falling on a tin roof, the sound must be similar to gunshots!
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 6, 2013
4:09 PM

Post #9548979

Hazel = filbert.
I have not planted but it is the first nut tree I would choose to grow because other than protecting the trunk from sun scald (got to wrap it) it seems perfect. One of the smallest nut trees It is pretty --- even just the leaf. Can take any soil. In the south supposed to plant in early winter and in colder climates in the spring. Growing up, we always had roasted hazelnuts at Christmas. Never could develop a taste for hazelnut chocolate tho.

Edited because IPAD thinks it can spell better than me and thinks it knows what I want to say!

This message was edited Jun 6, 2013 7:13 PM

Carolinaflower8

Carolinaflower8
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 6, 2013
4:56 PM

Post #9549051

You guys should try living with several black walnut trees next to your house on one side and an oak tree on the other. :)
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 6, 2013
7:25 PM

Post #9549306

I have the walnut ( just one) many oak, sweet gum, and a full metal roof!
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2013
3:37 AM

Post #9549536

Thanks for the info, missingrosie. Have you ever seen them marketed here in the Carolinas?
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 7, 2013
11:24 AM

Post #9549998

I have not looked but choose a landscape nursery in your area and call them to learn if they will order for you. I could not find young carolina silverbells and Kiefer landscape got for me a few years back at $12 each. Skinny little things perhaps 3 - 4 feet high. I just had to wait for kiefer to get a larger order together from their suppliers. Kiefer is here in NC ( a website allows you to learn what is in stock) but you would not want to go far so just call a landscape nursery in your area. Hope you find it!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2013
12:28 PM

Post #9550053

Walter Reeves, host of Your Southern Garden on ETV down here, has some thoughts on hazelnut trees. He is referencing GA but I would think the info would cross our state lines.

http://www.walterreeves.com/gardening-q-and-a/hazlenut-pistachio-growing/
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 7, 2013
2:09 PM

Post #9550163

Arborday.org

I am surprised won't grow - hazelnuts used in italian cooking and flavors. Plenty hot and humid in Italy. The zone info says 3-9 and 4-9. Disappointing if true .. The colors are great in the fall. Here - I woild need a good fence til grown because the deer like all of it soup to "nuts" . No pun intended! ;0)
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2013
2:38 PM

Post #9550209

Thanks for the all the info. As I stated previously, I'm always suspicious about plants that are supposed to be suitable for our area, yet nobody grows them. I'll certainly contact a few nurseries for advice/availability. Sounds like they might do better up your way, missingrosie, assuming you get them before the deer.-)
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2013
2:55 PM

Post #9550244

I have grown hazelnuts, but in the mountains of Virginia, not in Georgia. Small nuts on bushy 8-10 foot shrubs. Filbert is a much larger nut and plant. Hazelnuts thrive in moist cool summers. In Virginia there are wild ones along many creeks.
LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

June 7, 2013
5:57 PM

Post #9550415

I have land in Waco Georgia and there are 3 hazel nut trees there. They are old old old , my grandparents planted them . I rarely go to gather them as they are accross a railroad crossing and hard to get to. If I go home in October I'll try to get someone to walk over with me and we will dig up some little ones if there are any.
I may try to see if they will grow here at the coast. It is a drier climate in north west georgia.

Lavina
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 8, 2013
3:01 PM

Post #9551296

Thanks for the input, Farmerdill; I always thought filberts and hazlenuts were the same. I've decided not to attempt growing hazelnuts in my location, but Lavina I hope you prove me all wrong.

This message was edited Jun 8, 2013 5:09 PM

Carolinaflower8

Carolinaflower8
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2013
4:28 PM

Post #9551389

[quote="missingrosie"]I have the walnut ( just one) many oak, sweet gum, and a full metal roof! [/quote]

We have sweet gum, also. Thankfully, it is just far enough back to not fall on our roof (I think). It did kill my habit of going barefoot outside, pretty much, though...at least out back. :)
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 8, 2013
4:35 PM

Post #9551399

From the Diamond Nut Company ( and repeated by many sources ) hazelnut - american. Filbert - type grown commercially in Turkey and other areas. Most say same nut.

The hazelnut and the filbert are considered the same nut by some; cousins by others. In general, hazelnuts are larger and mainly harvested in the United States, in Oregon and Washington, while the filbert grows primarily in Turkey, Italy and Spain. The hazelnut has a round smooth shell.

Carolinaflower - the sweet gum = real pain in many ways but sure pretty in the fall.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carolina Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helllo Snoutherner 16 Apr 13, 2007 8:22 PM
Beautiful day Rosykay 14 Mar 20, 2009 11:32 PM
Flame azalea spartacusaby 20 Jun 21, 2007 4:17 AM
What is it? CarolinaTracer 6 May 5, 2007 1:05 PM
Hardiness success stories Tropicanna 102 Oct 16, 2007 7:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America