Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Northeast Gardening: House/greenhouse plants thread

Communities > Forums > Northeast Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Northeast GardeningReplies: 109, Views: 778
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 11, 2012
8:15 PM

Post #9356006

I figured it was time to start a thread where we could post pics of our indoor pants that keep us going through these dreary winter months, so I'll get us started with a bunch of pics of the plants in my porch.

Karen

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily   Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily   Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily   Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily   Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily
Click an image for an enlarged view.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 11, 2012
8:33 PM

Post #9356019

The lighting in this porch is not really strong. It faces west, north and east, on the north side of the house. Would have been better going in on the south side, but then it would get too hot in the summer, and the windows don't open.

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily   Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily   Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily   Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily   Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 11, 2012
8:37 PM

Post #9356022

I don't know the name of the Alocasia with the white veining. My 'Stingray' Alocasia is not doing well. I have no idea why. All my other plants are doing very well.

Karen

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 11, 2012
8:41 PM

Post #9356024

Here are some shots of me with my golden Brugmansia that was in full bloom last month. This was its third flush of blooms this year. I was really pleased with it.

Karen

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 11, 2012
8:46 PM

Post #9356027

And a few pics of my friend Gretchen, and 2 shots of my white Brug, which only had one flush of blooms. This single bloom was the only one I got any pics of. One more had opened up just last week, and then my sister had our nephew put it down in the cellar a few days ago, not realizing there was a bloom on it till after they got it down there. There were originally 2 more buds that were going to open, but one aborted. Don't think it was getting enough water. Oh, well, now that it's down in the cellar it will be staying there till late spring.

Karen

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2012
4:28 AM

Post #9356190

Your plants give a very enchanting look to your home, Karen!!! I have a Freyek (given to me at a swap) that looks like yours with the white veined leaves. Is your porch a heated room. I have a 3 season room that gets really hot during a sunny day and just as cold as it is outside, so I tend not to overwinter plants in there.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

December 12, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9356300

That's a great place to keep plants, Karen...the brug is wonderful! Here is a cyclamen given to me as a gift...

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

December 12, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #9356534

You have an amazing porch with some choice plants. Love the "Brug and You"shots. I have never tried them. Should. We have an attached greenhouse that houses a massive number of plants that we put out side for the summer. It is a passive solar GH so we don't heat it though it gets waste heat from the woodstove that is in the house as we ran the stove pipe into the GH before it is attached to the chimney before it is vented out of the house. The more I think about it after seeing yours, I should grow a Brug! Jades are in bloom now. First shot shows the olnly heat that we have in the GH. Built this house in 1981 and we have never had more than a touch of frost on a couple occasions. Mostly because when it is below 32 degrees it is more often sunny unless we are having a big snow storm. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd   Thumbnail by bbrookrd   Thumbnail by bbrookrd   Thumbnail by bbrookrd   Thumbnail by bbrookrd

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9356870

Thanks, you guys.

Roses, the porch does have a heating vent in it, but it still is not as warm as the house. It can down in the 40s and 50s in there, so not the best temps for tropicals. My orange hibiscus is not blooming really well because of it. I want to get an electric heater to put in there to keep it warmer. Thanks for the ID on the white veined Alocasia. I really like it. It's still just a small one right now.

Love your cyclamen, Marinlyn. I need one.

I am "green with envy" over your lovely greenhouse, Patti. I would love the put one on the south side of our house, but till then the porch works quite well. Only problem is that my sis doesn't like me to have a lot of plants in there.

Karen

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

December 13, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9357213

The jades are so pretty when they bloom...I, too, would love a greenhouse...my next door neighbor has one right off her living room, it's heated, & she has nothing in it! She stays upstairs in a bedroom suite, & doesn't even go downstairs anymore...very agoraphobic...

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

December 13, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9357223

Wish I had a porch or a greenhouse *sigh*

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2012
9:02 PM

Post #9358658

Me too. And the time and energy to care for the beauties within.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2012
3:24 AM

Post #9358712

Karen, your collection is wonderful.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2012
5:23 AM

Post #9358747

Not too grand and no coleus cuttings.
#1 semps with xmas tree
#2 Flapjack kalenchoe
#3 Donky tail ,not looking too good
#4Clevia
#5 Begonia

Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2012
6:12 AM

Post #9358795

Oh, I so love these indoor plants! I hope folks keep posting. I will after I get things more under control. We had a communication breakdown resulting in loss of several of my tropicals that were outdoors this fall. DH is suggesting we build a greenhouse someday to fix the problem.

Patti's greenhouse fascinates me. Are the cement foundation wall and bricks part of the plan to absorb the sun's heat? I'd like to start with a very small structure off my bedroom---after we finish the inside of the house.
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 15, 2012
6:30 AM

Post #9358813

Holy Moley - I wouldnt have the time to deal with that.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2012
8:17 PM

Post #9360306

Marilyn, that's too bad about your neighbor. What a sad life.

Thanks, Jo, you have a nice collection there yourself. That reminds me, I have a clivia that a friend is giving me, and I need to pick it up soon.

Rosemary, I will look forward to seeing pics of your beauties. A greenhouse off your bedroom would be nice.

Karen

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

December 17, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9360559

Karen, that's a nice present...clivias are expensive...
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2012
9:22 PM

Post #9361149

RosemaryK, our GH was designed to first give our house some passive heat, then, secondly, to give us a place for plants and thirdly to give us a little room to have coffee or a meal in when the weather is right. The floors are brick set in sand, no mortar, so the brick absorbs heat but drains quickly when we water. We use a hose to water everything. The raised bed are made with concrete blocks covered with a Parge coat that we stained dark grey to again absorb more heat. They are filled with potting soil with thick layer of gravel , but I don't remember how much now. The whole southern wall between the house and the GH is mostly made of the same parged concrete blocks on GH side while the inside of that wall has been faced with brick for an even thicker mass to absorb the heat and for the visuals of having some nice brick walls on the inside of the house. We do have windows in that wall that allows us to look into our little jungle and to bring the southern light into the house. During the day in the colder parts of the year when the GH becomes warmer than the house, we just open up two doors in the southern wall to let the heat flood into the house, but as the sun goes down, we close those doors. However, those walls continue to radiate heat into the house. We also crank up the wood stove inside the house as needed when the sun goes down. We do have a back up heating system, but try not to use it much. The glass panels in the GH are just insulated sliding glass door glass set in wood frames that were made from recycled cypress wood that came from old beer vats at a old Rhinegold brewery when it closed in the late 70's. Over the years some of the glass panels need to be replaced as the seal between the layers have failed so the glass is now opaque. However it may be better to not have so much sun for the plants, but would be better for heat to have the glass clear again. We vent excess heat out the top of the GH through a series of connected windows that open and close via a chain and pulley system. We don't have a misting system or fans which would be nice. We read everything we could about passive solar GH back in the late 70's and then hired an architect and a GH guy to run the numbers to see if it would work for us as primarily a heating source rather than as a GH. And since ours was built in 1981, another very similar one was built by a friend for his home here on Nantucket after he saw ours. He made it from totally salvaged old sliding glass doors and salvaged timber from the dump. His major expense was the concrete blocks and his time as he had to dig out the sunken element of the plan and then the time it took him to erect it. It worked great for him too for years, though he has apparently recently closed his house for the winter and moved to Fla. I guess he retired and became a Snowbird. Not sure what he did with his plants. Patti

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

December 18, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9361355

Do you grow any winter veggies like lettuce, Patti?
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2012
8:22 AM

Post #9361383

We tried doing veggies in the early years, but our collection of house plants took over. Plus we found all veggies are magnets for white fly and other common pests and take a lot of management and effort to grow successfully. We do have some hot peppers and herbs that work without work. So no real food products. I think we would also need more night time heat. It gets down to close to freezing at times though we have lost virtually nothing due to frost over the years. Knock wood. It would defeat the purpose of this GH to put \ a heater in it, but that would be nice at times though very costly. So what we grow in the GH is what grows without fuss. Patti

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

December 18, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #9361778

White fly is very annoying, I can see why you don't want it in the greenhouse! I took a summer course...about 30 years ago...at the Univ. of New Hampshire on solar greenhouses. It was very interesting, & we got to tour several of them around the university...most were being used for veggies...I remember one had thermal shades...I was thinking that buying the veggies would be a whole lot cheaper!

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2012
8:17 AM

Post #9370471

Thanks for the very fascinating information about passive heat greenhouses. It looks and sounds like a real pleasure for the senses as well as an act of conservation to have one. We'd love to have a small one but can't site this daydream correctly for sun. I sometimes take a walk through the historic greenhouse at the Lyman Estate in Waltham when I need something uplifting. It was built in the early 1800's to grow bananas and oranges for the family, and the other colder rooms are for grapes and camellias. They claim it doesn't get very cold at night, but maybe if it's true its because it is quite large with several rooms and the brick walls are very thick.
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

December 30, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9370491

RosemaryK, the guy who built ours has done restoration work at the Lyman Estate plus at many other historic GH though he will build new ones with recycled materials or just consult for what is the best type even if he doesn't build it. Mark Ward http://www.wardgreenhouses.com/about.html

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 31, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9371793

Interesting bio, Patti. Oh if only there was someone like this 60 years ago when the developers plowed a large greenhouse into the ground to build tract houses where we live. In the first five years of owning our property I used to gather garbage bags full of glass shards. Now I think I've managed to dig most of it up over the 20 years we've had the house. I also encountered garbage dumps in the excavations some with early 20th century bottles.

All that's in the past, so now it's nice to dream of building a proper new one into the side of our house. Perhaps that is after the water feature in the back yard. To be perfectly honest, we have some indoor building projects to do first--balcony above the fridge, built-ins that make the laundry room have dual purpose as an entertainment center by sliding a door, and finishing our wet room ( master bathroom with open shower). Because we do most of the work ourselves,or else act as general contractors, everything takes a long time.
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2012
6:15 PM

Post #9371825

RosemaryK, Great plans on your plate. I think I am now done with all the renovations that I had on my dream list. Spent most of last year on the Vt house though we didn't do the work just the design and some grunt work. Water feature is a fun project unless you go overboard as did Wha with his amazing one. Mine was more modest, but it is still a very special spot in our garden. Good luck with yours and maybe you will get a gh someday too. Patti

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2013
5:07 AM

Post #9372960

Thanks for the inspiration, Patti. Some ideas will just need time to marinate.
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2013
6:58 AM

Post #9373033

Rocks on the brain and now overboard?? And here i have been thinking of bending one curve in the stream more if I can do it with the liner there, extending the top slighly to add another curve there and re-working the stones on the sides in places...
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2013
7:49 AM

Post #9373071

Heehee, wha!!! Tweaking is allowed whenever you do it. The process is fun to watch!
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2013
8:13 AM

Post #9373085

Wha, I didn't say rocks were ever bad and going overboard can be a delightful dip into new waters. I always expect to see something new in your yard on every visit that resembles an entrant into a new wonder of the world contest. You go Girl, meaning your wife, who somehow deals with all your constant landscaping. How do you have time to read and reply to DG ? Love the new idea about the curve. BB fan.

I am leaving Vt after a week of being laid down by illness and feeling it was a total waste of time to be in bed, but better now than in the spring. Not finding much online to get excited about as many spring catalogs that I like aren't out yet, but I did look at some Brugs for the GH. However they get so big. I also thought about some more pottery planters that I plan on making out of clay. Patti

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

January 2, 2013
11:22 AM

Post #9373246

My DIL gave me another Guy Wolff pot for Christmas...this one is terra cotta, and came with a nice cyclamen...

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG

schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 2, 2013
2:22 PM

Post #9373370

Marylin, when the blooms start to pass, or start changing color on the cyclamen, gert your fingers down on the stock and give it a Yank. It will help produce new blooms for a good start.

I had to shrink out Poinseitta's, Norfork Pines, Zygo Cactus & other things. Some I just could not. Phalaenopsis Orchids I have to shrink after the past pull date. This one was dyed. To buy it at 25 bucks I dont think so as it wont make it in my house. But I do have a tiny heart. The trees oh dear had to shrink out 10, these are good to 0 degrees.

Thumbnail by schickenlady   Thumbnail by schickenlady         

bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2013
7:37 PM

Post #9373688

Nice pot from your DIL. I like the rope design.

Good advice about cyclamen. Not sure about dyed orchids, but if it is a stunning blue you want, I would say you got it. Nice trees.

DH got back to Nantucket tonight and said the kids in the GH were all fine which was a relief as we have been away since Dec 21st. He will water everyone tomorrow. I got to Boston tonight and will go into the studio and make some pots for the GH tomorrow. I have a lot of things to glaze that I bisque fired before Xmas and a few of them are flower pots. Maybe I need to get a cyclamen for one of them The hardy ones outside are blooming now, but they are very tiny and the dogs keep stepping on them. I need to move them to a place where they would be less likely to get run over so often. But I planted them by the front door so we would see them. Can't win. Patti

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2013
7:45 PM

Post #9373695

Patti, if you have a basement that's not heated, you can overwinter your brugs in there, rather than having them take up space on your greenhouse. In a cool, dark basement they will go dormant. Just cut them back by about 2/3, and give them some water every couple of weeks, just enough to keep them from drying out.

Nice pot and plant, Marilyn.

Sherrie, I don't know what you mean by shrinking out. Love the blue orchid, even if it is dyed. Been thinking about trying Phalinopsis orchids again. I've been reading up on their care, and I think where I messed up before is in giving them too much water. Hopefully I can do a better job this time.

Karen
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 3, 2013
2:30 AM

Post #9373827

Shrinking out = throw them in the trash. Phalaenopsis Orchids I was told by more then 1 is one icecube a week on a normal size pot. Then more as the pot size gets bigger.
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2013
5:52 AM

Post #9373895

Thanks for the brug tip. I would forget to water them in the basement. But I might just have to make room. Now what color. Love the pale ones. And source. Buying one in bloom might be best so I would enjoy it immediately. Spring? What nursery in NE sells them?

Love the term shrinking out. kinder than trashing. Some Serious Orchid growers that I asked, boojum for one, told me that the ice cube trick is a horrible idea. Invented by box store orchid suppliers to sell them as an easy plant to grow. But I kill them no matter what I do. Don't freeze today. Patti

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

January 3, 2013
6:02 AM

Post #9373903

Thanks for that tip, Sherrie...I'll do it on all as I have 3 in bloom, 2 resting...I have planted some outside in the spring, but they aren't hardy, & I always forget to dig them up anyway...

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2013
6:23 AM

Post #9373929

Someone gave me three cuttings in early winter. I am very happy with starting them this way because they take so little room on any window sill and immediately make the "Y"
that's necessary for blooming. I'll have lots of cuttings for anyone who would like to do it this way next fall.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2013
8:31 PM

Post #9374762

Thanks for clarifying that, Sherrie, on the shrinking out. LOL! This website says 3 ice cubes a week, but I guess that would depend on the size of the pot: http://justaddiceorchids.com/ . Hmmm... didn't know that, Patti. Watering once a week is supposed to be fine, and no over-watering. As I was researching their care, I came across this website that I like a lot: http://www.repotme.com/ . They have lots and lots of orchid supplies and lots of info on orchid care, as well as instructional videos.

You can sometimes get cuttings from here, too, for the price of postage only: http://www.theplantsexchange.com/cuttings-offerings/brugmansia-cuttings/

Karen
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 5, 2013
4:20 PM

Post #9376487

Orchids I belive came from the Jungle, Hot & Sweaty. In other words like me Humid. They need moisture, plain & simple. The roots cant linger in water or the will rot. They like to get sprayed with a mist every day. I cant grow them in my house with a wood stove = Dead

Why do I even try to save them?

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

January 6, 2013
4:16 PM

Post #9377547

Bought 2 fittonia at Wally World

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

January 6, 2013
4:17 PM

Post #9377550

Photo might help

Thumbnail by onewish1

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

January 8, 2013
6:24 PM

Post #9379569

Wow - some great-looking plants, ladies! Now that I have a pretty reliable temperature control in my porch, I would like to get ore plants. You guys have favorite online sources for tropicals??

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

January 9, 2013
5:17 AM

Post #9379812

Here's Epiphyllum 'Petey Kelly' which is growing in my bedroom plant window. We had this built into our bedroom addition to take advantage of the south facing light. I had two giant jade plants in terra cotta pots at the time and hauled them out to the contractor who was beginning the frame work for the room. I told him to lift the plants each one. I said: " make sure that the frame under the windows in strong enough to hold these two plants at least!" and that's what he did. You can do a polka on the floor of my bedroom garden window. we have fluorescent pot lights in the ceiling of it but rarely have to use them.
Martha

Thumbnail by gardenmart

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

January 9, 2013
5:19 AM

Post #9379813

The jades are gone now but I have a giant pony tail palm in there now.
Martha

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2013
6:28 PM

Post #9383141

Nice looking fittonia plants, Allison! I have not tried growing those.

Victor, I like looking at Logee's Stokes Tropicals catalogs, but have not bought from either one of them. I usually buy from local places that sell greenhouse plants and sometimes HD and Lowe's also.

Nice epi, Martha. I have a ponytail palm. Didn't know what it was when I bought it, just knew I had to have it when I saw it. I got it at either Lowe's or HD.

I just recently bought a philodendron called 'Prince Of Orange' http://stokestropicals.plants.com/Philodendron-Prince-of-Orange-P446.aspx . Got it at a local garden center that sells many wonderful houseplants. Many are not labeled with the cultivar name, though, but this one I recognized.

Karen

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

January 13, 2013
5:11 AM

Post #9383396

I was at a stop and a woman there brought them to my attention.. The stems look like good rooters.. Had to give em a whirl

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

January 13, 2013
6:57 AM

Post #9383484

I have a bunch of ivies that I have distributed amongst my south windows and in my terrarium. I did two dish garden workshops this past November with my garden club and the Massachusetts Horticultural Society. I collected small houseplants in anticipation of this and one of my friends brought some ivy cuttings she had rooted. I have about 9-10 planted up as we all had more plants that we could use. I made up some cute dish gardens in planters. I will take some pictures. We had a great time.
Martha

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 13, 2013
9:27 AM

Post #9383630

Sounds really nice, Martha. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Karen

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

January 13, 2013
1:14 PM

Post #9383818

Nice activity for a winter's day! I like that Prince of Orange, Karen...

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 13, 2013

Post #9383837

Thanks, Marilyn.

Karen

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

January 15, 2013
7:15 PM

Post #9386620

This is my "Friendship" dish garden. I received the three labeled succulents from my friend who helped me with the kids dish garden workshop. The small gasteria on the bottom right is a division from a larger plant that was given to me by one of my Flower Show friends. The aloe from the bottom left is a division that came from a plant given to me by a neighbor who has since passed on but used to have the enormous mother plant in her bay window in her dining room. She gave me the original division 24 years ago. This is one of its babies. I can't wait for them all to grow and fill this dish in.
Martha

Thumbnail by gardenmart

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

January 15, 2013
7:21 PM

Post #9386627

This is my pony tail palm that looks like a camel. I rooted the caudex myself. It won a blue ribbon in 2010 at the Boston Flower Show. It still lives in my kitchen. It has blue ribbons from my local garden club flower shows also. One visitor to the flower show said it looked like a whale spouting, but I think of it as a camel sitting in the oasis.
Martha

Thumbnail by gardenmart

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2013
4:31 AM

Post #9386817

How exciting!!! Blue Ribbons are rare.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

January 16, 2013
5:22 AM

Post #9386844

Very unusual plant...

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2013
8:24 AM

Post #9387058

Nice dish garden and PT palm, Martha! You know, I never thought of putting my plants in shows. That's a fun idea.

Karen

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2013
11:47 AM

Post #9388275

Dear Karen,

If you have a likely subject go to here: http://www.masshort.org/Amateur-Horticulture-Competition
which is the Flower Show Schedule for the Amateur Horticulture Competition for this year's show in March. This describes all the plant classes that an individual may enter and what the rules are. There is most likely a class that will suit you down to the ground. Then, bring in your plant to the Seaport World Trade Center and enter it {with me! I am the chair off Amateur Horticulture this year} on March 11th between 12 pm and 8pm and the rest will be history. Then you can come down to the show to see how you did between March 13th and March 17th and pick up your plant Sunday, March 17th. that's it! Any questions? Ask me here. Thank for inquiring.
Martha
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2013
4:50 PM

Post #9388561

Go for it.

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

January 18, 2013
2:33 PM

Post #9389490

That's how I got started. My DH took me to the Boston Flower Show for the first time back in 1984 and I noticed that a prize winning jade plant didn't quite match up to the two that I had. Mine were better! so, I found out how to enter and the rest is history. It's easy, no fee and we'd love to have you!
Martha

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 20, 2013
8:56 PM

Post #9391939

That sounds like fun Martha. I think I'll go for it. I have two really beautiful elephant ears that I could enter. I can't say my other plants are show quality, except for maybe my begonia. The rest of my plants are nice, but not exceptional. Would I get free admission to the show if I enter (hoping)?

Karen

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

January 22, 2013
1:00 PM

Post #9393850

Unfortunately, no free admission. However, I would certainly report back to you on the status of your entries. I can't do it for everybody {we had nearly 300 entries in Amateur Horticulture last year} but I do it for my friends and can take a picture of your exhibit on the bench and DMail it to you once you have been judged. But, it's worth it if you can make it down there. It's at the Seaport World Trade Center. which is a stop on the silver line bus.
Let me know what you decide. We always like new exhibitors.
Martha

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2013
10:23 AM

Post #9413099

Thanks for this thread, Karen. I've decided to grow more varied indoor plants, so this thread is getting me inspired. I've ordered some books from the library, including Byron and Laurelynn Martin's book "Growing tasty tropical plants in any home..." It has been nice so far to have a few Meyer lemons and Persian limes while the cold is blustery outside. Everyone wants to handle my coffee plants so they always end up dying. I wonder why they are such a magnet for being touched? I may grow a small leaved camilla sinensis outdoors for tea (the small leaf variety is supposed to be more cold hardy), but it would be easier to pick the tips indoors.

Who has a favorite indoor food crop?

I wonder is anyone is growing any tree ferns in their home or GH? Looks like I could get away with a dwarf for a few years but they're supposed to be spiky. It's that dinosaur thing, though. Who wouldn't want to remember them?

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

February 9, 2013
1:13 PM

Post #9413291

My indoor garden is a mess...I forget to water, or they come down with scale...lost 2 lemons because of scale...

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2013
7:24 AM

Post #9414043

Yeah, the Meyer Lemon is vulnerable, especially if I don't wash the leaves of the clivia regularly or if I don't do soil treatment after summer on the deck. For reasons I don't understand the Persian Lime hasn't gotten it yet. The more I mist them, the happier they get. I have to learn exactly when to fertilize too because I really don't like the way it smells, so that's an antidote for overdoing it. I do citrus tone twice a year if they're lucky and then stick fresh Spanish moss in the pot. I'll photograph once I find a home for all the stuff I'm wading in from my mother's family home and the new bench arrives.

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

February 10, 2013
8:38 AM

Post #9414103

oops forgive my MA geography which is not steady when it comes to the South Shore/Brockton area. I mean come up to the Flower Show. Thanks.
Martha

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 3, 2013
1:23 PM

Post #9437637

To continue with the ideal greenhouses, I hope these pics capture some of what inspires me to keep trying. First the Lyman Estate Greenhouse open to the public in Waltham MA.

Thumbnail by RosemaryK   Thumbnail by RosemaryK   Thumbnail by RosemaryK   Thumbnail by RosemaryK   Thumbnail by RosemaryK

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 3, 2013
1:26 PM

Post #9437644

These are still pics from the hot greenhouse area...

Thumbnail by RosemaryK   Thumbnail by RosemaryK   Thumbnail by RosemaryK   Thumbnail by RosemaryK   

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 3, 2013

Post #9437649

I skipped the orchid and epythites, which are in the second house. Now straight to the camellia house. They even sell them there. Many aren't named because they are old. The fourth one looks like C.W.Wilson but i wasn't sure. They also sold that one

Thumbnail by RosemaryK   Thumbnail by RosemaryK   Thumbnail by RosemaryK   Thumbnail by RosemaryK   Thumbnail by RosemaryK

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 3, 2013
1:36 PM

Post #9437656

Plenty of Nuccio cultivars there too. The two toned ones have names like Nuccio's Pearl or Nuccio's Cameo

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 3, 2013
1:48 PM

Post #9437661

First one is a classic from Japan, I think it is Tama-No-Ura. It was found growing in the wild by a charcoal burner in 1947 on an island by that name in Nagasaki Prefecture. Nuccio's introduced it to the US trade in 1975.

All it takes is one fragrant variety to make the whole greenhouse smell wonderful. They had 'Fragrant Pink' on sale. I like it that camellias don't seem to bother my allergies, so that's probably true for other people too. White doubles are considered to be classics. I took a lot of shots of CW Wilson on several plants.

This message was edited Mar 3, 2013 4:57 PM

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 3, 2013
1:55 PM

Post #9437667

Finally, a few shots from the Orangerie at Tower Hill, Boylston, MA. I'd love to try a plant wall sometime.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2013
1:59 PM

Post #9437670

very pretty

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2013
2:03 PM

Post #9437674

Beauties!

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2013
8:15 PM

Post #9437984

I was at Tower Hill also. I loved that bromeliad/fern tower. Here's a pic of it and the Meyer Lemon among others. I would love a greenhouse with as tall a ceiling as the Orangerie at Tower hill. Don't you love the bromeliad Christmas tree?
Martha

Thumbnail by gardenmart   Thumbnail by gardenmart   Thumbnail by gardenmart   Thumbnail by gardenmart   Thumbnail by gardenmart

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 4, 2013
2:40 AM

Post #9438044

doesn't need much water

;)

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

March 4, 2013
3:55 AM

Post #9438064

Actually, the bromeliad tree had been watered recently as all the cups on them had water in them. wouldn't want my kitty cat or dog to knock it over though. This one I think could stand it since it weighed a ton with all the plants in place.
Martha

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

March 4, 2013
4:53 AM

Post #9438098

Very hard to choose a favorite bloom, loved so many of them...

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

March 4, 2013
5:16 AM

Post #9438127

Where's Karen???

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

March 4, 2013
9:14 AM

Post #9438376

I know she was having computer problems, but I expected her to be back with us by now...
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

March 4, 2013
6:33 PM

Post #9438991

Dang, missed the Tower Hill show. Love that place. Thanks for all the great shots to make up for me not getting there. Here are some shots taken today at the Smith College Bulb Show. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd   Thumbnail by bbrookrd   Thumbnail by bbrookrd   Thumbnail by bbrookrd   Thumbnail by bbrookrd

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

March 4, 2013
6:54 PM

Post #9439022

gorgeous show! So many plants, so little time!
Thanks,
Martha

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

March 5, 2013
5:09 AM

Post #9439268

Didn't know Smith had a show...am drooling over those parrot tulips...
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2013
7:02 AM

Post #9439368

Robindog, Tulip Rococo is an old favorite of ours. They are one of the tulips that I try to buy and replant every except one when I forgot since 2006. They don't return very well, but last year Van Engelen was selling them at the regular price of 50 for 18.00, so I will have lots to drool over this spring. The Smith Greenhouses are full of other things too. I only took a few shots as I was with friends who had a time crunch. Patti

https://picasaweb.google.com/107604936655818861781/SMITHCOLLEGEBULBSHOW2013?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCIG3hPaEtpK8-wE&feat=directlink

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

March 5, 2013
8:29 AM

Post #9439461

The orchids are worth seeing...I ordered parrot tulips 2 years ago, some were lovely last year, some never came up...I'm hoping for some returns this spring...

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2013
5:03 PM

Post #9440029

Or his show is on at the NYBG.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

March 6, 2013
5:15 AM

Post #9440415

Whose show?
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

March 6, 2013
9:21 AM

Post #9440711

He means Orchid Show. It is always amazing. Trying to go too.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

March 6, 2013
1:15 PM

Post #9440972

Hee hee! Yes - sorry.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2013
2:39 PM

Post #9462979

::::singing:::: Happy Easter to me

Thumbnail by onewish1

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

March 26, 2013
3:29 PM

Post #9463027

Pretty...I have one budded...
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2013
3:48 PM

Post #9463057

Hip Hip Hooray. Always love seeing a Hippeastrum. Most of mine will be blooming late this year as we planted them out in the garden and didn't dig them out until Oct. so they are going to be blooming in the late spring. OK by me. Patti

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2013
6:45 PM

Post #9463269

that bulb has been sitting on top of the soil of one of my plants in my bay window for a few years.. it rooted it's self.. and there it stayed.. looks happy right?.. there is another stem not far behind those two
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2013
6:56 PM

Post #9463281

Amazing. It loves your window and now you can love it. Patti

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

March 27, 2013
5:40 AM

Post #9463596

I've kept my amaryllis on my plant shelf for 3 years now, have not done anything to them except cut back the foliage in the fall...one bloomed, one is budded, one grew new foliage, one has done nothing...probably dead.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 27, 2013
2:22 PM

Post #9464118

I didn't do anything at all except cut the dried up foliage off

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

March 27, 2013
3:00 PM

Post #9464171

I'm going to try to remember & plant them outside this year...and hopefully, remember to dig them back up!

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

March 27, 2013
4:30 PM

Post #9464246

These were several of my entries in the Amateur Horticulture competition at the Boston Flower Show. first one is three different ivies. the pots are attached to the saucer making it one unit. The judges liked the ivies, so I got an honorable mention, but they didn't think my pot was a "container" in the strictest sense of the word. What do you think? The next one is a dish of succulents that I rooted in 1998 from cuttings a fellow exhibitor gave me. the third one is a similar succulent garden made from divisions given to me by friends . the fourth is my ever popular "Camel" plant, which is a rooted caudex of Ponytail Palm. Took me 2 years to root that sucker! and the last one is my dish garden in a container that looks like a squash on the vine. I made that one for my garden club's dish garden workshop.
I love exhibiting. I have some things ready to go for a local garden club's flower show in April.
Martha

Thumbnail by gardenmart   Thumbnail by gardenmart   Thumbnail by gardenmart   Thumbnail by gardenmart   Thumbnail by gardenmart

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 27, 2013
4:55 PM

Post #9464277

love the camel!!

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

March 28, 2013
8:14 AM

Post #9464863

Nice job! All very healthy looking...I exhibit at 1 fair in the fall...sometimes they get 25 or more entries for one flower, like hydrangeas...some years I do well, some years not so great...

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

March 28, 2013
9:38 AM

Post #9464951

I understand that. The camel plant has several blue ribbons, including one from this flower show and several from others and from the boston show, a cultural certificate. It only grabbed an HM the year I tried to make it into a container garden. It just overpowered everything else, I guess. Depends on what the judges see each year!
Martha

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

March 28, 2013
9:46 AM

Post #9464962

That is for sure!

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2013
8:35 AM

Post #9465801

Martha, I did not get a chance to enter anything in the the flower show. After the big blizzard we had last month, my plants in the porch did not do as well. No heat out there, and I ended up having to move them all into the house when we lost our power for 2 days. They also took a hit before that with some frostbite on the alocasias. So they did look stop good anymore. I thought I had lost my tropical hibiscus, but it's coming back.

Going to catch up on this thread now.

Karen

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2013
9:01 AM

Post #9465824

Love all the pics from different places. I've been to Tower Hill's Orangerie a few times. Always love visiting that place.

Nice entries, Martha. Congrats on getting some HM's.

Karen

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

March 29, 2013
2:39 PM

Post #9466111

I don't mind what they get, Karen. I am the chair of the whole competition and there are people who enter who have much more spectacular plants than I do. I just love seeing what comes in the door every year to be judged. In fact, there was a huge Alocasia entered this year. Let's see if I can bring up the picture. Yep, there it is. Next to a huge crown of thorns and that magnificent Clivia. All stuff I wish I could grow, but have no room for.
Martha

This message was edited Mar 29, 2013 5:41 PM

Thumbnail by gardenmart

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2013
8:33 PM

Post #9466388

That's really nice! I especially like the clivia. The alocasia is bigger than my two. I have a small clivia that a friend have me this year. Don't know of it will boom this year or not. Can't wait till it does. I have an amaryllis that's getting ready to bloom. I brought it to my office to brighten up the place.

Karen
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2013
8:55 PM

Post #9466403

Our clivia is now about 30 years old and still blooming like clockwork though we have divided it many time to share with friends. It came from the flower show on the piers in NYC. We had to wait for quiet a few years for it to bloom the first time. Now awaiting a tiny yellow one to bloom that we got 2007 called Clivia Golden Dragon, but it looks like it will be another year though it is growing nicely. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

March 30, 2013
5:47 AM

Post #9466547

Just beautiful!

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2013
7:18 PM

Post #9483024

Those clivias are gorgeous, Patti. I was at Tower Hill Botanic Gardens today for a New England Daylily Society meeting, and saw some nice ones in bloom there.

Karen

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2013
7:39 PM

Post #9483070

Here are pics of my red amaryllis at my company's office. It's all done blooming now. :-(

Karen

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily   Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily   Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily   Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily   

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2013
7:47 PM

Post #9483082

And here are pics of a new amaryllis I picked up last weekend. It had 3 bloom stalks on it, so I couldn't resist!

Karen

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily   Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily   Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily      

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Northeast Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Glad you're better Dave Anitabryk2 209 May 19, 2007 12:03 AM
Cortaderia selloana (Pampas grass) as annual zone5girl 4 Jun 16, 2007 3:41 AM
Mammoth Elephant Ear Janecline 18 May 16, 2007 2:52 PM
Hi. I would like to join your Forum - if it is OK. AYankeeCat 42 Dec 9, 2007 5:56 PM
Rosemary hardiness in CT? jjpm74 26 May 19, 2007 10:16 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America