Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: It's Not Too Late to Cover Your Roses with Soil: Roses in Alaska

Communities > Forums > Article: It's Not Too Late to Cover Your Roses with Soil
bookmark
Forum: Article: It's Not Too Late to Cover Your Roses with SoilReplies: 3, Views: 17
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

December 12, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9356289

I wonder if that would work here. Our winters are pretty long (Nov-Mar) and run from 20F to -20F . It is too late now for sure and the ground is like a rock and we got our second really big snow dump. Rather late but very welcome although I suppose any damage done by the cold to uncovered plants is already done. By that I mean stuff that dies back to the ground but has roots within a foot of the surface.

Thanks for a great article and pictures.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 12, 2012
9:38 AM

Post #9356388

Mary, I'm sure this will work for your roses in Alaska. Remember we had very low temps here last year and mine survived. Did you have any survivor roses from one year to another?

Adina
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

December 14, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9358310

Only the rugosa which are very winter hardy. There is a place in Canada that does testing and has produced some nice roses. Since I am limited in space and roses are quite a bit 'touchier' than say dahlias or peonies, I tend to stick with them except for the two rugosa's that I have. Morden's Flame and Morden's Blush. I have to treat them heavily for aphids and for something that attacks the leaves and eventually eats them. You can see the little trails on the leaves until there is no leaf left.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 15, 2012
10:31 AM

Post #9359007

Mary, must be the bud worms. I also have them here, but they don't do so much damage. Thanks for sharing about your experience.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: It's Not Too Late to Cover Your Roses with Soil Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Climbing roses nutsfordaylily 20 Jan 12, 2013 5:55 PM
Wanting roses fwromanian 1 Dec 17, 2012 10:57 AM
Adina indian57 1 Dec 31, 2012 4:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America