Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Agastaches and Salvias: A few salvia seedlings

Communities > Forums > Agastaches and Salvias
bookmark
Forum: Agastaches and SalviasReplies: 2, Views: 48
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
helenahkh
Gautier, MS

December 12, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9356318

Noticed inside gh a seedling that has variagated leaves on a coccinea.

Started from seed also is salvia blue chiquita

Also from seed what is supposed to be salvia van ramsey.

Thumbnail by helenahkh   Thumbnail by helenahkh   Thumbnail by helenahkh
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Rich_dufresne
Candor, NC

December 16, 2012
10:47 AM

Post #9359860

Helena, is that Salvia guaranitica Van Remsen form? If so, it originally comes from James Van Remsen's garden in St. Gabriel, LA.

Grow them out and save the plants. I've found that volunteers that make it are usually plants that do well for the climates they appear in. A lot of the hybrids from California don't do well in North Carolina, but my found hybrids seem to have a wider range of viable growth. Donna Dittman's mexicana hybrids do better in Louisiana than they do better for me in NC.

I found a seedling in a pot of S. miniata that was blooming next to a Wendy's Wish that I am curious about.
helenahkh
Gautier, MS

December 16, 2012
1:14 PM

Post #9359985

Rich, yes it is guaranitica Van Remsen's. I manage to collect a few seeds from the plants every year. I was hoping that the ones from seed would do better here.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Agastaches and Salvias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Salvia pictures from my garden Gerris2 133 Mar 21, 2007 6:49 PM
My favorite Salvias ecrane3 88 Jun 5, 2007 11:39 PM
Agastaches & Salvias I'm Getting Thru Mail Order Marilynbeth 55 Mar 11, 2007 10:49 PM
Agastache & salvia Ariel73 2 Apr 10, 2007 7:14 PM
Salvia 'Discolor' mrs_colla 9 Mar 13, 2007 6:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America