Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Insect and Spider Identification: infestation in the house?

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 4, Views: 68
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
betulo
Moorestown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

December 12, 2012
12:23 PM

Post #9356482

Hi,

The day of hurricane Sandy we were left without electricity, and I got a couple of recently cut black locust logs from a neighbor to light a fire. Of course, my wife wasn't to keen on the idea of using the fireplace for the first time ever, and that idea fell by the wayside. In the meantime, the logs were left inside by the fireplace.

Today the idea that I could have brought into the house termites suddenly popped into my mind, and I inspected the logs. To my surprise, there were tons of ants, some of the winged - I'm attaching some pics of them, but I presume they are ants.

The question stems from the fact that under the fireplace grate, there were these cocoons or eggs forming tiny fuzzy white balls. I have no idea if these go together with the ants, or it is a different problem.

Any help will be very welcome. Thanks in advance.

Thumbnail by betulo   Thumbnail by betulo   Thumbnail by betulo   Thumbnail by betulo
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

December 12, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9356858

The ants appear to be carpenter ants; finding them in black locust is not surprising. The fuzzy white balls may contain spider eggs; they certainly are unrelated to the ants.
betulo
Moorestown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

December 16, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9359775

Thank you!
betulo
Moorestown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

December 17, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9361031

Any advice as to what to do other than getting rid of the logs?

I presume the ants had a good four to six weeks to get around the house...
Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

December 18, 2012
3:19 AM

Post #9361203

These ants usually will not attack wood unless it is damaged in some way, such as by water or decay - http://www1.extension.umn.edu/garden/insects/find/carpenter-ants/ .

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America