Your best choice for FIRE starters?

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I have been aggravated with the strike on box matches.
I'm now having trouble with the strike anywheres.

Curious what everyone here uses to get the initial fire started please?

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

I use strike on the box wooden matches or a Bic style lighter. A grill lighter works nice. A Zippo would be great. I've even started a fire once with a pair of jumper cables and a car battery. As long as I have dry kindling wood I really don't care.

The have reduced the phosphorous so much on the end of strike anywhere matches that they have become strike nowhere matches. In addition I find then almost impossible to find anyway.

If I'm lighting the fire with a lighter or a match I start with kindling smaller than a match stick and work up there. I've used something like 2 matches in the last six weeks as the fire runs 24/7.

Chapel Hill, NC

All we've ever used to start a fire is a sheet of newspaper, a small stick of fatwood, and a Bic lighter! We've been heating with wood for 30+ years.

I am intrigued by Doug's comment, "kindling smaller than a match stick".

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

I'll take a picture the next time I start a fire from scratch or a coal or two. I generally don't have to light a fire for a month at a time.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Because I grew up in MN, I do understand not needing to light a fire but once a season. lol

Fortunately in this climate, it is not necessary to keep one going nonstop. I'd have to run the a/c most of the time if we did.

My problem has been starting the box heater in the greenhouse on these nippy nights. And I agree, it is more and more difficult to find the strike anywhere matches. Our local hardware store stocked a case of the Diamond strike anywhere matches earlier this summer and I bought a quantity of them. I have had trouble and my husband said they may have drawn humidity but I didn't think so.

As a result, I was delighted to hear your comment Doug

Quoting:

The have reduced the phosphorous so much on the end of strike anywhere matches that they have become strike nowhere matches.
I felt vindicated and chuckled about the strike nowhere matches. They don't even work on the blessed' box!

I'm just old fashioned and hate to give these up. I hate disposables but may have to look for the grill lighter instead.

Thanks for the input from you both.

If I can only get a spark, that fire will take off... Kristi

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.