Photo by Melody

Article: It's Not Too Late to Cover Your Roses with Soil: Climbing roses

Communities > Forums > Article: It's Not Too Late to Cover Your Roses with Soil
bookmark
Forum: Article: It's Not Too Late to Cover Your Roses with SoilReplies: 20, Views: 34
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #9356898

I'm wondering if you have to cover climbing roses as well and cut back the canes. I bought some beautiful Fourth Of July climbers this year, and I don't want to lose them. I have other roses that come back year after year without any protection. Two are rambler roses, and three are shrub roses. Then I have a white climber that I bought last year. Overwintered in the pot it was purchased in, and I planted it this past spring. Last winter was a mild one, mostly. Should I put dirt on that one?

Karen

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 13, 2012
12:24 AM

Post #9356989

Hey Karen! Good to hear from you! I don't have any climbing roses, but I will soon. As far as I know they don't need trimming back in the fall, but they also need covering, especially if the winters are cold, such as ours. I agree with you, some roses can survive even if they aren't covered with soil. I had one climbing rose survivor after many years of neglect. This was in the garden I used to take care of when I was living in the city. The garden is in the front of the block where I had an apartment. I've lived there for many years, since I was 3 until 4 years ago. I remember all the roses in the garden when I was a child, but when I started to take care of the neglected garden there wasn't any other rose but that climbing one. I'm sorry I didn't take a cutting from it, but I hope I will next year. This is a red rose and it grows in many places in our country, especially along the streets. I can take a cutting from my village, if only I will remember about it next fall. LOL
Thanks for reading my article.

Adina

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2012
12:06 PM

Post #9363163

Thanks for your reply, Adina. Okay, so I will go ahead and cover my roses. Could I use shredded leaves rather than soil?

I've been wondering of we will have another mild winter this year. Been hoping, actually. So far we have not had any real freezing temps. The winter is still young, though.

I hope you can get your rose cutting.

Happy Holidays!

Karen

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 20, 2012
12:48 PM

Post #9363187

Karen, I haven't seen roses covered with shredded leaves here. I don't think it would be a good idea because the wind might take them away and leave the roses uncovered. Hoping for a mild winter, at least for you. We're already having the second snowstorm this winter.
Happy Holidays to you too!

Adina

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2012
10:58 AM

Post #9363872

I think I had read about using shredded leaves in a book about rose care, however you would have to put something around it, like some kind of chicke wire or wire mesh or such to keep the leaves in place.

We have had no snow yet, and doesn't look like it will be a white Christmas. We are close to the coast at my house, not far inland at all, although the coast does get a bit milder than at our place, and their spring flowers bloom a little earlier than ours.

We are having a driving rain storm today. Rain, rain, rain and wind all day. Would be a good day to stay home, but I'm out and about.

Karen

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 22, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #9364825

Karen, it does make sense now with the shredded leaves. Have you seen how others are doing in other gardens in your town? I'm always doing the covering when I see the workers in the city of Bucharest doing that for the rose beds.
We're having a white Christmas, but I would have prefered the rain...too much snow here!

Adina

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 22, 2012
10:37 PM

Post #9365199

I've never noticed anyone covering their roses around here, but then I never checked, either.

We're getting a mix of rain and snow for Christmas. Hope you have a fun day!

Karen

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 23, 2012
10:37 AM

Post #9365426

Karen, you have a fun day too! I had fun cooking stuffed sauerkraut rolls for Christmas! LOL They are in the oven now.

Adina

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #9365461

Never had those. They sound good.

Karen

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 27, 2012
2:16 AM

Post #9368146

Something like this. This is a picture before cooking. They're delicious!
You can see more pictures and videos from our Christmas here :

[HYPERLINK@picasaweb.google.com]

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Click the image for an enlarged view.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 28, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9369495

Looks good! Great pics, too. You must tell me what all those foods were. I did not recognize anything.

Karen

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 30, 2012
2:56 AM

Post #9370298

Karen, the big , white sack you saw was the pig's stomach which I filled in with the pig's tongue, heart and meat and made a salami we're calling "toba" which means drum. You saw it cut in slices in other pictures. Then you saw the dough cake which I made with walnuts and cocoa filling and another one with Turkish jelly candy filling. They were all delicious!

Adina

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2012
10:43 AM

Post #9370573

Those dough cakes sound really good, but the pig stomach with all the organs and such does not. I have never been fond of livers, hearts, etc. Never had any from a pig before, though. I would try just about anything once, though. I usually cook up the turkey giblets for our dogs.

Karen

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 4, 2013
5:35 AM

Post #9374951

Happy New Year, Karen! I especially like liver, which is very nutritional and healthy, like any other organ. People suffering from anemia can eat liver to get their red cells back.
Here's another dish I made for New Year's Eve, a vegetable and beef salad. It's our tradition to decorate it with pickles.

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Click the image for an enlarged view.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2013
1:48 PM

Post #9375467

Is that salata de boef? I have a coworker from Romania, and I showed her the picture.

Karen

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2013
2:01 PM

Post #9375502

My coworker (her name is Bianka) wants me to ask you of you like salata de vinete.???

Karen

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2013
2:03 PM

Post #9375505

And also varza ala cluj?

Karen

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 5, 2013
4:58 AM

Post #9375952

Karen, yes, that is salata de boeuf. Of course I like salata de vinete and varza a la Cluj. Send all my best wishes to Bianka!

Adina

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 8, 2013
9:36 PM

Post #9379713

I will! I was wondering if you could dmail me with the recipes for the 2 dough cakes you made. Don't know where I can get Turkish candies around here. Maybe I could try Trader Joe's.

Karen

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 9, 2013
1:10 PM

Post #9380236

Karen, I will search for the recipe and send it to you. I think Bianka might know where to find Turkish jelly candy.

Adina

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2013
5:55 PM

Post #9383123

Thanks! I will ask Bianka about that.

Karen

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: It's Not Too Late to Cover Your Roses with Soil Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Roses in Alaska Oberon46 3 Dec 15, 2012 10:31 AM
Wanting roses fwromanian 1 Dec 17, 2012 10:57 AM
Adina indian57 1 Dec 31, 2012 4:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America