-
AuthorContent
towler
faicchio
Italy

December 13, 2012
6:47 AM

Post #9357116

I found this very small flower growing on a grassy mountain clearing at a quota of 1125m. The height of the plant was approx 12 cm. It is an aromatic species of Labiatae. I have searched the keys for Satureja, teucrium, Acinos and thymus without success. Help appreciated.

Thumbnail by towler   Thumbnail by towler   Thumbnail by towler   Thumbnail by towler   Thumbnail by towler
Click an image for an enlarged view.

kennedyh
Churchill, Victoria
Australia
(Zone 10a)

December 13, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9357415

I think this one might be the Cut-Leaved Self-Heal - Prunella laciniata: http://luirig.altervista.org/schedenam/fnam.php?taxon=Prunella+laciniata

Ken
towler
faicchio
Italy

December 14, 2012
6:29 AM

Post #9357931

Ken, The only problem is the Thyme like leaves. Admittedly, there are two larger leaves below the calyx, they don't seem to be the same shape of Prunella leaves!
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 14, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9357937

Your second photo appears to show leaves similar to the upper leaves of Prunella laciniata. The last photo shows lower leaves that appear similar to that plant; the upper leaves are too damaged to tell. Could you add some more photos of the leaves?
towler
faicchio
Italy

December 14, 2012
12:19 PM

Post #9358203

Unfortunately these are the only photographs that I took.
towler
faicchio
Italy

December 15, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9359210

I have other photographs of another Prunella laciniata which have been identified and archived. I will check it out. Had the upper 2 leaves of my present posting been undamaged identification would have been simpler.
towler
faicchio
Italy

December 16, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9359705

These are the photographs. I previously lost my connection to internet. Prunella lacinaita.

Thumbnail by towler   Thumbnail by towler   Thumbnail by towler   Thumbnail by towler   Thumbnail by towler
Click an image for an enlarged view.

towler
faicchio
Italy

December 16, 2012
7:09 AM

Post #9359710

My photographs of the first Labiatae have totally different mid and lower stem leaves. They are much like Helianthemum oelandicum, or canun. similar also to some Thymus sp. also Satureya montanum, not forgetting sp. of Acinos. The original posting doesn't seem anything like Prunella laciniata. Being familiar with the plant I would have been able to identify immediately. So I do not know what to think!
towler
faicchio
Italy

December 17, 2012
2:18 AM

Post #9360346

The plant in the first posting had red tinged edges on the calyx and epicalyx and the stamens don't seem to be visible, or they are white and lost amongst the white petals/lips. 2nd posting: The calyx and epicalyx of my last posting of Prunella doesn't have the red tinge. The stamens are also dark brown and one or more of the petals/lips appear to be fringed.
towler
faicchio
Italy

December 18, 2012
3:23 AM

Post #9361204

It would seem that my powers of observation are waning! After re-examining both images I have noticed fringes on the corolla of both plants. I am wondering why the foliage is so different from the 2nd posting of Prunella. Could the difference be a question of maturity of one plant and that of a younger less developed plant?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America