Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Northeast birds

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I thought we had a thread for birdwatching but I couldn't find it

Figured I start one

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

There were hundreds of snow geese flying over my house this morning...really cool looking

I switched out my thistle sock(must have been old seed, they are so picky about that!) and put out my double sided squirrel proof suet feeder. Hope to see the woodpeckers this year

Thomaston, CT

My feeder has been up since Nov. when I thought the bears would be hibernating....but a bear was hit by a car 2 days ago not too far away, so they are still foraging......I have the usual birds, but I also had a pine siskin about 4 weeks ago....they are an irruptive species, I thought this might be a good year for them, but haven't seen any since....The redbellied WP has come a few times...love him! Would love to see a crossbill in the yard, I have a lot of conifers. My birdwatching buddy, Buzz, saw some at the dam a few weeks ago.....

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Nuthatch from a few weeks ago...was happy to see a red breasted one for the first time.

Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes
Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Great idea, Jen and interesting timing - was just about to post a bird question on the coffee break thread when I saw this!

How can you keep hawks away from your birds? Every once in a while one finds this location.

I have had many downy woodpeckers lately. So pretty. Would love something to attract the pileateds.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

My take on the hawks is this...they have to eat too! LOL

I get 1 just every once in awhile, they usually get the mourning doves. You have to make sure the feeders aren't out in the open, need to be close to shrubs or trees so they can fly to cover if 1 is around. The hawks don't hang around long if the birds are in hiding

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

we've had our feeders up since Nov. we get mostly purple finches.

Yeah, mine are near cover.

Thomaston, CT

This is a great year for red breasted nuthatches & purple finches...they are both irruptive species....pileated woodpeckers usually don't come to feeders...they are shy birds of the forests, although one was in the unfinished garage up at the farm...flew out right in front of me & the kids! Jen's right about the hawks....usually it's Coopers or sharp-shinned hawks that get the birds....the feeder should be located where the birds can hide quickly.....

Anyone use a heated water bath?? I once read that if it's really cold out and they leave the bath and go land on some very cold surface, they can stick to it, like the kid's tongue in Christmas Story!

Thomaston, CT

Whoa...never thought of that...no, I don't use any heat, just what the rain fills the bath with....the river is right below my house, and it's open, so the birds get their drinks there.....

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

I don't either. This year we have a small pond that I am hoping they will be attracted to.
Never heard of that happening, wouldn't it be the same as if they drank from a running water source though?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Glad to hear about Red Bresteds.I have Red Bellies WP's also and Downeys.
The White breasted Nuthatches are scrappy,one landed on my hear when I went to take the feeder down for refill.
Sorry about the typing.Bandage gets in the way.It will come off Wed.

Thomaston, CT

Wow...I would have panicked if one was in my hair...you're brave, Jo!

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

I took my feeders down, too many squirrels and chipmunks.
I still get a lot of birds with the garden and fountains.

I use squirrel baffles.

I have too many places for the squirrels to jump to the feeders for baffles to work. No large open areas.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

a blight on squirrils.
I have a cat problem this year.Neighbors cat hides under the deck where feeder is hung.

I have a fenced in back yard and Garfield was sitting on top of the shed inside the fence watching the birds. Made my dog crazy. I don't know who he belonged to.

Thomaston, CT

My feeder is right next to the wellhouse......neighbor's cat was hiding in the wellhouse to get at the birds! The squirrels are awful here...need to keep the feeder where the birds can hide, but too easy for the squirrels to gain access.....saw a flock of robins on my walk this morning....

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

this thread may have me filling the feeders - since the bear visits and over the summer a racoon was up on the feeders i stopped filling them - i think a fisher got the racoon as i spotted a dead one a few weeks back near the pond with its neck cut and over the course of a few nights was moved and eaten - squirrels are blocked by a double baffle system

Thomaston, CT

Weasels cut the heads off, Bill....so yes, a fisher could tackle a raccoon.....regular weasels would be too small, I think...

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I saw a Fisher once.They are fearsome looking,thought it was a Badger.
The birds seem to get enough but I might move the feeder since its warm and the ground is soft. I'll place it at my livingroom window where a garden is.There is no hiding place there.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

we went to a weasel talk about fishers and otters last week by the state fish and game and they mentioned that a fisher could take down a medium sized racoon - do not know of anything else it could have been.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

They look like a large cat with longer legs.The one I saw was on a beach in the dunes of an island in northern Michigan.
They look to have powerful jaws and a naturalist said they are not a large population in Mi.
They take out pet cats in some areas.My cousin lost her pet to a Fisher.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Going to church Saturday night we pass a few fields and pastures, there were HUNDREDS of seagulls....we hit one

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

see fishers here often - had a pair living in a hickory in my backyard a couple years back during mating season (Jan-March).

Thomaston, CT

Wow..they are pretty wary animals......my stepson lost one of his Maine Coons to a fisher....

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I never saw another one.I lived in a area thats not environmentally satisfying to them

Thomaston, CT

The feeder was busy this morning....love it when the cardinals show up....

I did get that large double suet feeder I posted last week. So far it's a hit.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

We have the double suet feeder , it' like this one.
http://www.garden-fountains.com/Detail.bok?no=2221

Nice!

Also put out a very nice birdbath today. Here's a pic.

Thumbnail by victorgardener
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

I like that.

Thomaston, CT

Elegant...the birds will be spoiled!

Thomaston, CT

Went outside to get my paper this windy, freezing morning, & there was a Carolina wren under a rhodo by the front porch.....I love those little birds & their cheery "Teakettle, teakettle" song....

Had the biggest woodpecker I ever had the other day on that new, large suet feeder. He was gone by the time I got my camera. Possibly piliated!

Thomaston, CT

If he looked like Woody, he was....red-bellied are also large & colorful....

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.