Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Bird Watching: Here to get ideas from Birders for new Birding Software

Communities > Forums > Bird Watching
bookmark
Forum: Bird WatchingReplies: 6, Views: 44
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BirdingSoft
San Francisco, CA

December 13, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9357491

Hello everyone! My name is Michael and I am here to represent BirdingSoft.com - Our goal is to create a free Online Wiki-Database of Birds for educational use.

The reason I joined this forum is to find like minded individuals that would like to help Beta test our system, or, if you have any suggestions or features that you would like to see you can respond to me here.

Right now we are working on a Tagging system for Audio Bird Calls. This would be where a user can describe the song they heard and our system will display audio tracks and correlating Birds.

Any feedback you guys have would be wonderful!

Cheers!

Thumbnail by BirdingSoft   Thumbnail by BirdingSoft
Click an image for an enlarged view.

BirdingSoft
San Francisco, CA

December 13, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9357493

Does anyone have a set list of general Plumage Options they would use when categorizing a Bird?

Thank you!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 13, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9357610

I usually just check Sibley's or post a picture here. I don't usually drill down to ID something.
BirdingSoft
San Francisco, CA

December 14, 2012
12:16 PM

Post #9358202

Right. Understood. And thank you for your input. The concept behind my vision is 2 fold though. 1 is to provide people with their own Databases to track their Life Records as it were, whereas the 2nd motive, is to create an open platform for which people can come and learn about Birds. One example is a cool Audio interface so that if you hear a Bird call, and don't know the Bird, you can describe it with preset variables and we can then let you listen to and see images of the Bird so that you can verify it and learn. To make a long reply shorter ;) in order to code these interfaces, the variables need to be predefined, hence the need for a consistent Plumage verbiage list.

Thank you again for your response! I hope this clears up my previous question!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 14, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #9358211

Oh, if there was some sort of drill down sound list, that might be cool. I'll hear a bird but I can only say "woodpecker-like" or "finch-like". And I can't just go listening to every bird call.

BirdingSoft
San Francisco, CA

December 17, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #9360826

Great idea! That is very close to what we have. We broke the Bird Songs down into 6 categories. One of them is set to describe the sound (chirp, screetch, kaw, cluck etc.), we also use tones (High, Medium Pitch and Low Pitch) and we also include details about the length, repetition, beginning and ending characteristics and so forth.

The idea as you stated, is for someone to find the Bird rather than having to listen to thousands of calls to find it. http://www.birdingsoft.com/Find-Bird-Songs.php

Also, I should point out that our actual Database of Bird Songs is very, very limited as of now (we just started this). If you would like to add to them that would be wonderful!

When all is said and done, we would like for this to act like many of the Online Music Finders, wherein you can describe the song and the Software will tell you who wrote it.

Ultimately, we are looking to generate an iPhone and Android App that will record Bird Songs and then show you an Image and Name of the Bird that made it (we are a ways away from that though).

Thank you again for your reply and ideas!!
Any suggestions for extra Tagging Options would be greatly appreciated!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2012
3:56 PM

Post #9360945

Well that's pretty cool. All I could think of is like I said… "It was kind of like a finch…" So maybe groupings of similar calls. "melodic like a robin" etc.

As far as plumage, I'm not sure how that would be relevant to identification. Unless I really know what the bird is, then I would know if it is in Breeding, basic or juvenile, etc. I suppose it would be relevant to a certain picture though.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Watching Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Best Trees and Shrubs for the Bird Garden? tabasco 234 Jul 2, 2011 1:55 AM
Show me your feeders!...Part 2.... Sheila_FW 302 Nov 12, 2010 11:27 AM
Rose-breasted Grosbeak DonnaB 47 Jul 8, 2011 1:39 AM
Cedar Waxwing Photos duckmother 13 Oct 17, 2007 1:38 AM
Trumpeter Swans Grasmussen 17 Sep 7, 2008 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America