Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Tomatoes: WHO'S SOWING TOMATO SEEDS SOON?

Communities > Forums > Tomatoes
bookmark
Forum: TomatoesReplies: 82, Views: 730
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

December 13, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #9357502

I am!!! This weekend!!

There are exactly 23 weeks from this Saturday to the last weekend in May. Subtract 56 days to sow, harden off, and transplant seedlings, and that leaves 105 days for my long-season, heirloom beefsteak tomatoes to decide to give me a bumper crop (or NOT...), before the Fires of Texas Hell reach them.

Time waits for no man! Neither do tomatoes!!!

The game's afoot!
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 14, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9357940

LOL! When you put it that way it is hard to resist. But I think I'll hold off a bit. I love reading about your adventures in seed starting, though. So keep us informed =)!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

December 14, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9357984

Hey, Terri!

Yeah, there are sooooooooo many adventures in the gardening world, and I love experimenting and pushing the envelope. However, I've pondered THIS envelope long and hard, because I just love big, beefy, meaty tomatoes, and, just like anything worth having in life, it includes sacrifice and work. So, this is a calculated risk I'm taking.

I have many more contingencies in place than ever before. The main one is sowing these seeds on time for transplanting out with enough growing lead time. The second one is being prepared with frost protection. Even though we enjoy pretty temperate weather here most of the time, we do have occasional January and February frosts. Good part is we don't have too many sustained, hard freezes (high-20s for more than 3-4 days in a row), so as long as I can keep the plants protected for a couple hours overnight, I should be good.

This weekend is sowing and organizing the two growing rooms inside. I currently have beets & cabbage seedlings in the warm room, along with 10 tomato seedlings, all sowed on December 4th. They're all doing well except I need to move the beets and cabbages into the cool room to grow on until transplant. The tomatoes will stay in the warm room.

One of the best things I did getting on track this season was to pre-wash ALL my seedling trays and pots at the end of last season, and gather up all my potting mixes. I'll be using the Roots Organics that drthor recommends. After much discussion and experimentation with that stuff, I've learned if you want a seedling up and out the gate quick, fast, and in a hurry, Roots Organics is the way to go! It has enough amendments in it to wake the dead! MG seed starting mix is still on the table, but I've learned to use it only when I have a long lead time on a seedling, OR, to mix it 50-50 with the RO to hasten the growth time frame.

Nice option, huh?

I'll keep you posted on the progress. My target hardening off date is February 9, 2013, with plant out on February 16, 2013.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9360574

Well, I spent all day shredding leaves my neighbors are leaving on my driveway. About six 40-gallon contractor bags. EZ-ier this time because instead of dumping them from the small bag into the compost bins, I just dumped them as pathways between my raised beds and along the entire back fence where, eventually, there will be more raised beds.

I figured, "why not let them break down in place?"

So, I shredded and lined the areas with about a 4-6" layer, and wet them down thoroughly before our promised rainstorms yesterday. Just needed to make sure they didn't blow all over the yard before the storms, and that they were wet enough so the rain would penetrate through to the ground below.

Do ya'll know how awesome shredded oak and pecan leaves smell? Like a fresh forest!

Didn't get to sow the tomatoes for shredding the leaves, and I absolutely HAVE to get them sowed today and tomorrow. I've pulled 16 varieties to try this time. That's really, really, really, really ambitious, considering I need to have at least 10-15 of each seedling for the friends and neighbors to try. That's upwards of 300+ seedlings in two rooms at home.

The most I've done is 208.

Ya'll pray for me...

Linda

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 17, 2012
11:59 AM

Post #9360759

Linda,

>> pre-wash ALL my seedling trays and pots at the end of last season

Do you use any bleach or hydrogen peroxide? Or just soap and water?

I agree it is improtant to clean at the end of a season, so they don't lie around dirty all winter.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2012
12:35 PM

Post #9360789

Rubbermaid tub of hot water, couple good squirts of Lemon AJAX Dish Detergent (don't want too many suds!!!), couple splashes bleach (about a cup or two), couple splashes cheapy mouthwash (about 2-3 capsful -- I like the BLUE ones from the $1 Store, any cheapy brand).

Such a Heavenly smell for such a "dirty" job, makes it absolutely pleasurable. Clean and disinfect in one motion.

Rinse and sun dry...

I save the H2O2 for top watering the seedlings for the first 3-4 waterings. No damping off, and, it oxygenates the soil. Seedlings love it. 1 capful to a gallon of water...

This message was edited Dec 17, 2012 3:37 PM

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 17, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9361032

Hah! Mouthwash! I like it.

I try to get mine "clean" to the eye with a stiff mist from a hose, plus some scrubbing. I think sun-drying is good for killing off some spoors.

Then, because I'm lazy, I usually put small pots and trays through the dishwasher. I load it up and add soap for the first "rinse" and usually stop it half-way through to remove that batch and re-fioll with another batch.

The main wash cycle can do 2 or three batches, and the final rinse cycle (with more soap added) can clean another load or two. Then I can rinse them all outside using the hose on "mist".

Pots too big to clean in the dishwasher, I clean more thoroughly outside with a bucket of soapy water.

Did I mention being lazy? I've been getting away with skipping the bleach step, and some day I'll probably pay for it and have to take more care.

I agree about H2O2 for seedlings, both pre-soak and watering. I also like bark in my seedling mix, which makes the soil surface dry out fast. (No damping off since I started that). And a fan is good, even a few times per day helps.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 18, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #9361363

My dogs lick mine out. Then I really do have to soak them and scrub them. I don't use the mouthwash (may add it this spring) but the rest is pretty similar exept I use Dawn. I keep Dawn on hand for the get-the-skunk-spray/smell-off-my-crazy-dog formula so that is what I have. I buy the industrial size. That one dog just won't learn...Haven't had damping off, so I don't do the H2O2 w/water thing. I just get them going 'till they look big enough and have 4 true leaves, harden them off, and then look for a good day to plant out. I use the clear plastic w/the flappy holes from Territorial, too. It is verrrry windy in my little microclimate and that really helps alot.

I also use a lot of the cheap red cups from $1 store. I don't reuse those as I've found that they just deteriorate too much. But the black pots all get a scrub down. I usually set up one rainy day to do them all at once. Rain helps to rinse them out!

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 18, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9361724

>> cheap red cups from $1 store. I don't reuse those as I've found that they just deteriorate too much.

I'll re-use small pots with cracks by nesting two together, with the cracked sides 180 degrees apart. If a pot is big, I'll often tape a crack with Gorilla Tape, and remind myself to pick it up from the bottom.

Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

December 19, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9362142

What I've found is that styrofoam cups last longer than those plastic cups do.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

December 19, 2012
8:47 AM

Post #9362211

I like clear plastic cups-so I can see the roots growing. I get 5oz. ones at WalMart, and use an old woodburner tip to make 3 holes around the bottom edges. That's one of my winter fun chores! I have about 160 of them ready for the time to come. Our last frost is about April 15, so I sow starting in early February.
GrowingNVegas
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 9a)

December 19, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #9362222

I was going to wait another week or so, but gymgirl has made me rethink. I bet I am sowing tomato seeds before the day is over. I could always start a second batch in a week or so. Planning and planting are my favorite part of gardening. I keep thinking it should be the harvest (which is fun too) but for me it is the sowing.
hornstrider
Hutto, TX

December 19, 2012
11:36 AM

Post #9362335

Linda...it is that time. The freeze last week put an end to an unbelievable fall tomato crop. I purchased my IHORT plugs, and I plan to start my seeds on Jan, 1st. I saved seeds from Cherokee Purple, Amish Paste, and Indian Stripe, and I plan to grow them again this spring. BTW I have a bunch of Indian Stripe seeds if anyone is interested. I also plan to grow Kosovo, Brandywine, Sudduth , Cherokee Chocolate , Rutgers. My wife brought back some seeds from Italy, and I am curious if anyone has grown any of these varieties pictured below. Feedback would be appreciated.

Thumbnail by hornstrider   Thumbnail by hornstrider   Thumbnail by hornstrider   Thumbnail by hornstrider   Thumbnail by hornstrider
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

December 19, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #9362360

Hornstrider et al!

Great to have ya'll aboard. Was beginning to wonder if there were any DGers left! Conversation has been really, really, sparse for a couple months. Wondering where everyone was.

Life is getting in my way! I was supposed to sow seeds last Saturday, but, alas...I did manage to pour some boiling water over my Roots Organic mix two days ago, but, shoot, now I'm gonna have to heat the batches in the microwave.

I've found, in the last two seasons of seed sowing that heating the starter mix truly helps the germination in the absence of heating mats and other soil-heating methods.

GrowingNVegas, I ALSO prefer sowing to growing! I don't care if I never grow another tomato...well, give or take my MOMOTOROs or PRUDEN'S PURPLES...long as I can baby my seedlings indoors, I'm perfectly happy!

Linda

Yep. That sowing clock is just ticking away!!
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 19, 2012
1:00 PM

Post #9362423

hornstrider, what a haul for Italy! The last one is a bit blurred but I think I have grow it up north. I usually have good luck with the seeds from any of the US companies selling Italian seed. Should be fun to find out if yours do well in Texas! Good luck ☺

JoParrot, those clear plastic cups are a good idea. It would be fun to watch the roots grow!

Gymgirl, the issue with early planting for me is the wind. If I plant out too early the wind shifts and gusts so much that even the holey plastic rips apart. Waiting just one month to two weeks is necessary in my little microclimate.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 19, 2012
1:46 PM

Post #9362457

GrowingNVegas said:
>> Planning and planting are my favorite part of gardening.

My favorite part is creating soil, improving soil, creating drainage/grading and making new raised beds.
My second favolrite is starting seeds indoors and watc hin g the magic.

My least favorite part is weeding.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

December 19, 2012
1:46 PM

Post #9362458

I gotcha' Terry!

I made an interesting observation last season regarding seedlings in Clear cups vs. in Red Solo plastic cups. Seems the tomato seedlings in the clear plastic cups outdistanced the RS cups. I noticed the root systems were much more developed in the clear cups.

Then, I think I figured out why...more all around light on the plastic cups. The RS cups only allowed the light to shine directly from above...

Just my two cents...

Linda
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

December 19, 2012
2:14 PM

Post #9362465

Gymgirl- great minds think alike!!! I use 3 sizes of clear plastic cups- 5oz for 1st potting after pricking out from a common bed, then on to 10oz, then up to 16oz--all before planting out in the ground. The 3 pottings make real strong plants, since each time they are planted deep in the next size cups. This spring I am going to sow my seeds in Ultrasorb DE from AutoZone- I have seen comparison results in a forum on Tomatoville that has me convinced of DE's superiority in sprouting seeds.
If anyone wants to see a good pictorial test go to this forum on T'ville-
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=22329

This message was edited Dec 19, 2012 2:20 PM

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

December 19, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #9362469

Jo,
Read up on how that absorbent may affect your garden worms (DE), before you dump it into your beds...

P.S. What makes it so good for the seed sprouting?

Linda
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

December 19, 2012
7:19 PM

Post #9362689

I would not be "dumping " it into the garden- only using it for sprouting seeds. I have no experience with it yet, but I am impressed with the comparisons on the forum that I linked above- it clearly shows superior root systems and top growth than another medium. I will try it and see for myself.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 20, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9362970

I just think it would be fun to watch the roots develop!

Ray_Der_Phan

Ray_Der_Phan
Oceanside, CA
(Zone 10a)

December 20, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9363349

Will be starting seeds around mid-January(luckily, I have a few tomato/pepper plants year round). Got down to 35 last night and the winter tomatoes are still producing.

Thumbnail by Ray_Der_Phan
Click the image for an enlarged view.

RiverNymph
the Mountains, CO
(Zone 4a)

December 21, 2012
3:16 PM

Post #9364071

Starting seeds in December?
Whoa. I started mine in March for 2012 and regretted doing it that early! haha.

RiverNymph
the Mountains, CO
(Zone 4a)

December 21, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9364072

I simply couldn't find room for four month old plants by the time it was warm enough outside to transplant. I can't imagine starting seeds THAT early!
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2012
3:39 PM

Post #9364087

River, dont forget we can plant out earlier than you can. Our azaleas, Carolina jessamine, tulips, daffs etc, bloom in February. My paper whites bloom usually in January. Spring comes early here.
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2012
3:48 PM

Post #9364094

Linda, Im picking out what to sow and getting my stuff together. I dont have heat mats so Im going to warm the soil first as you have suggested. prob be a week before I get a round tuit. I know I have one here somewhere.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 21, 2012
8:47 PM

Post #9364347

Remember Tx is a huge state too with many microclimates. I can't plant out that early unless I want to do it in the snow. It doesn't always snow but if it's going to snow it will do so in Feb. but I usually have the majority of my plants planted by the end of March.

None of my flowers bloom until April. Yes, gardening is a gamble.
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2012
8:56 PM

Post #9364348

I think Texas has about 5 or 6 zones. Lisa, you're in 8a and Im in 9a. That's a difference of about a month, usually.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 21, 2012
9:17 PM

Post #9364354

But I'm very rural wayyyyy out in the country. It's usually 10* lower here then Austin. I replanted too many times to do it again. Lol 27* last night and 17* last week, that's just too cold. When the soil is too cold the plants just sit there.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 27, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #9368686

Well under lights I can ,and could keep them inside until march,, then cold off and on , it keeps getting warmer but still frosts in May. So in the garage and out of the garage for two months? or three? Tomatoes already ,by the time they go in the garden...
ME also , I confess from way up north,, I started a couple of Romanesco earlier today ... LOL

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

December 27, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9368736

Inspiration...

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 27, 2012
8:17 PM

Post #9368760

Mighty Purty, Linda. My pepper seeds are all up with two leaves. The wind did not destroy anything in my veggie garden. Those snow peas have all those tendrils and they held on to the strings I placed for them. My two Broccoli (oldest ones) blew over but did not break. One has quarter sized head beginning. Garlic fine. Romaine some blew over but able to stake and steady. Asparagus tops killed by the cold. Tomato plants still OK Picked a ripe tomato yesterday. My new planted broccoli, Napa cabbage and Gailan are fine. Theyve been in the ground about a month now.

Got some seed for brassica nigra (black mustard) from Juhur but did not get good germination. Maybe it was too warm in my kitchen. I have one seedling and perhaps two so far and I floated the seeds first to see if fertile and they all sunk in about 4 hours so I think it must be the temp that was not right for germination. This brassica is for the butterflies, not for eating.
RiverNymph
the Mountains, CO
(Zone 4a)

December 27, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #9368767

SteadyCam,
I wish I lived where you did!
I hate the short summers here in Colorado. Poo! :(
I guess the beauty kinda makes up for that? But no, not really. :)
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 27, 2012
8:40 PM

Post #9368774

But...River Nymph, you have in Colorado, the best snow in the world! That light, powdery stuff that squeaks when you walk on it...I love it. And dont forget you have those beautiful Aspen trees and Christmas trees growing everywhere you look. Just come visit me in August and you will love where you live. When I moved here, I thought if an alien landed here in August, he would report back that the planet was too hot for habitation.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

December 28, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #9368943

LOLOLOL!!!!! TOO HOT FOR HABITATION!!!!

That's only if his spaceship hadn't melted by the time he got back to leave for home!!!!

"Danger, Danger, Will Smith!!"
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 28, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9369007

Linda I have about 15 different varieties of tomato seeds to choose from. I do not have space for even a few of each so what I think Im going to do is plant a variety of maturity periods, couple early ones, couple middle and couple of the 80 day ones. I have one called 4th of July DTM 49 days, Then I will plant Sungold, Red October and large red cherry at 65 days and then Cherokee Purple, Granny Cantrell and Super Beefsteak.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

December 28, 2012
10:26 AM

Post #9369077

Steadycam3, et al,
Would anyone happen to have a couple Kellogg's Breakfast in your repertoire? I'm asking for 3 seeds if anyone has any to spare.

Send me a dmail, if you do, and I'll provide my addy, postage, and any tomato seed trade you might like in return.

Thanks!
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

December 28, 2012
11:37 AM

Post #9369130

I am looking for a few seeds of Martino's Roma if anyone has any for SASE- I don't have anything to trade at this time-sorry.

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

December 28, 2012
1:00 PM

Post #9369206

I've just started two black cherry toms in soil inside, and an heirloom tomato is about 3" tall in the aerogarden, so we'll see. The "tumbling Tom" plant is still going, sorta kinda, but I don't really love the fruits from it. (tomato snob?)

The Romas from last summer are surprisingly still hanging on in the garden, after being decimated, transplanted, unwatered, etc. Who knows, if it doesn't frost, then maybe it'll keep hanging on.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

December 28, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #9369213

Those are Black Cherry tomatoes in my pic above!
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 28, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9369454

I had grown Kellogs Breakfast last year but only had two tomatoes and failed to save any seed. They are very large yellow tomatoes and the one I got to eat, was not that impressive to me but of course I have my own preferred taste which runs to acid not sweet. Also, I dont have the Roma you need Jo. Sorry. I grew black cherry 2 years ago but I got them in the ground rather late and they did not get going before it got too hot. Disappointing results. Im growing them again just to see what they are like.
RiverNymph
the Mountains, CO
(Zone 4a)

December 29, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9369784

Gymgirl,
I'd be interested in your 'Osaka Purple' mustard leaf if you wanted one of the tomatoes in my trade list.
Do you have anything else? Love trading. I realize it can be a gamble but so far it's been a blast.

This message was edited Dec 29, 2012 9:46 AM
RiverNymph
the Mountains, CO
(Zone 4a)

December 29, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9369789

I grew the black plum paste tomato last summer, and it was phenomenal. I cannot say enough for this tomato in terms of black cherry types.

@steadycam, Ohhh I suppose you're right. :) I've only ever been to TX once. I'm currently putting up with 5 feet of snow and am
totally snowed in. The winters are much too long but the aspens are beautiful all year round with or without their leaves. Who
wants to visit? :)

This message was edited Dec 29, 2012 9:46 AM

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #9369823

Rivernymph,
One of my greatest joys on Dave's Garden happened when a New Zealander posted pics of the tiny Osaka Purple Mustards she was growing from my saved seeds!

I do have some, although I'm not sure how viable they are from the 2009-2010 season.

Soon as I locate them, we can talk via dmail.

Linda
RiverNymph
the Mountains, CO
(Zone 4a)

December 29, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9369824

Linda!! Wow!
Well it does look to be an absolutely beautiful plant.
2009-2010? I bet they're viable. I wouldn't need many.

Look forward to hearing from you and be sure to have a peak at my trade list.
Also, let me know if you want to do a bigger trade of any sort. =)

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2013
7:28 AM

Post #9373051

I spent New Year's Eve sowing tomato and pepper seeds! 84 tomato plants, and 24 pepper plants.

Beauty Beefsteak
Eva Purple Ball
German Giant
Giant Belgium
Kimberly Cherry
Mortgage Lifter
Mule Team
New Big Dwarf
Russian Rose
A NOID from my saved seeds

California Wonder Bell
Early Sunsation Bell
Emerald Giant Bell
Roumanian Rainbow Bell
Satsuma Bell

Hardening off target date is 02/11/13
Plant out target date is 02/16/13

Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl         

steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2013
8:02 AM

Post #9373079

Lookin good, GG. My peppers hav two leaves and I planted my tomatoes today. I did not plant as many as you did, however. I really hope we have a good year for tomatoes. Im ready for one. I dont know what to do about the cutworm. I bet the egg was laid long before the cabbage began to head. Ive heard that row cover right after transplanting will help prevent the moth from laying eggs on the brassicas but Ive no experience with row cover yet.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2013
8:21 AM

Post #9373090

Steadycam3,
My floating row cover is still in the delivery package...shoot!

It is little details like this that keep tripping me up...getting there...not there yet...shoot!

Need to pull out the perforated plastic before it's too late, too!

Linda
drkenai
Chico, CA

January 2, 2013
8:18 PM

Post #9373727

I will be planting my seeds this weekend. If anybody needs some Juane Flamme seeds I saved a bunch - great little tomato.

Dr. Kenai
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 2, 2013
8:28 PM

Post #9373735

Dr. I know you are in So Cal but what zone are you in? Just wondering.
drkenai
Chico, CA

January 2, 2013
8:37 PM

Post #9373741

Lisa - I am in Northern Cal - Chico not Chino - I think it is zone 7, but not positive. You just made me get out the Western Garden Book for the first time in 15 years - I stand corrected Zone 8.

This message was edited Jan 2, 2013 9:41 PM
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 2, 2013
8:59 PM

Post #9373756

Great now I can't read. Lol last week I was on DG and went to look for my native plant book and realized I was in a hotel in SoCal. I think I need a Dr. LOL. We are in the same zone, it's supposed to freeze tonight and the next 5 following.

I've never had luck with Jaune Flamme here, glad to know they did well for you.
drkenai
Chico, CA

January 2, 2013
9:17 PM

Post #9373764

It has frozen the past several nights here as well. i will start the seeds under T5 lights and put out the plants around March 1 under a plastic cover in my raised beds with very small heaters on timers under the plastic - I know - I thought I was obsessive until I joined DG.

Thumbnail by drkenai   Thumbnail by drkenai         

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 2, 2013
10:08 PM

Post #9373791

You are obsessive and I'm jealous. Lol Great set up. I noticed you just became a subscriber, welcome.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2013
10:13 PM

Post #9373792

No obsessors here!!

VERY nice hoop setup!!

Welcome to the garden, doc!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2013
10:36 PM

Post #9373795

This is a stray slightly as melons and beans eaten raw do more for balancing my blood tests than tomatoes. Only what would a garden be without tomatoes!!!!
Some fixation ,occasional jealousy , of things like the long growing seasons others have, although , the last few years we are only four days short of being at least a zone 7!!?
Yes drkenai: a big welcome to you!! great looking setup!!!
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2013
6:59 AM

Post #9373966

LOL! Whenever I check out this thread I can almost smell the baby tomato plants (a favorite smell of mine).

Linda, I know you've mentioned this before--and possibly even in this very thread--but I can't find it. Where do you get the bads you put your seed trays into for germination? And what are they? The lids to my seed trays are starting to show wear and tear and I think the bags for work better than plastic wrap.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
7:17 AM

Post #9373989

Ok, Terri, et al,

This is gonna be sensitive, so those of you who can't handle sensitive, close your eyes...

The first time I encountered these bags was when my then, 84 year-old Aunt came home from the hospital with her clothes in one, right around the time I was starting my seeds. I shoved it into my "possibilities" pile, but didn't really give it much thought...

The second time was when I was having my annual mammogram two years ago, and I was consciously beginning to train my mind to assess everything for its potential use in the garden -- thinking "in the garden," as it were. And, the nurse handed me this large, crystal clear, drawstring bag (16" x 18"?) to put my belongings in while I was having my test...and, it clicked!!

And, I've been collecting them from the trash bin in the clinic every year since! We ladies use them EXACTLY one time for about 15 minutes, then put them into the trash hamper...what a total waste...but, not anymore, LOL!

Linda
GrowingNVegas
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
8:02 AM

Post #9374051

Linda,

You are one resourceful cookie!

steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
8:04 AM

Post #9374056

On behalf of the planet, we thank you.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
8:06 AM

Post #9374062

Gotta be!

My mother taught me to live BELOW my means, and to never spend more than I make!!! I have a gardening budget, and have to mindful of how l spend the pennies!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
8:18 AM

Post #9374074

When I was an UBERnewbie, and exploring seed-starting options, I fell in love with that 15-cell APS Deep Rooting System that Gardener's Supply sells for $24-36/kit. It includes the deep cell tray, the reservoir, the wicking sheet, and that beautiful tall, clear dome.

After the first season, when I grew beautiful bell peppers in those deep 3-1/2" cells, I wanted more, but alas, no mas dinero... So, since they sell just the deep 15-cell trays separately for $7.95, I bought more of those, but what to do about that big dome? So, I started shoving the extra cell trays into plastic cleaner bags, which were a bit bulky.

But, then it occurred to me that, even when I grew the beautiful bell pepper seedlings, as soon as the seeds popped, I was putting the dome aside, and never using it again! Total waste of clear plastic! So, when I spied the smaller drawstring bags, well, it was a marriage in the garden!

I've learned to purchase things with an eye to the manufacturer's side of things. Sell me more of what I need less of, and I'll keep coming back????

My mamma didn't raise no "roody poo" children, LOL!!

Linda
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2013
8:31 AM

Post #9374082

Ohhhhh...No clinics out here, so I'll see if I can find some industrial plastic wrap at Costco next time we go.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
8:36 AM

Post #9374087

Terri,
Go for something recyclable. The cleaner bags work, you just have to cut them shorter. ANY clear plastic bag will work. You only need it for a few days...
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
8:40 AM

Post #9374090

I have some grocery-type bags that fit as well.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2013
12:39 PM

Post #9374323

Linda, I was raised exactly like you. Even if I have the money I see no reason to spend it on something if I don't have to. That's one reason I enjoy reading everybody's different methods.

I've used the white plastic grocery bags. They aren't clear but they hold the moisture and heat in.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2013
1:17 PM

Post #9374358

A few in cups that used airound here for different things, tried to post these earlier , nothing happened ,wondering?

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7         

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
1:51 PM

Post #9374391

1Lisac,
Moisture and heat, that's what we're going for, no matter the opacity of the bag. A clear bag just makes it easier for ME to see what's going on inside!!

^^_^^

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2013
2:13 PM

Post #9374421

The light above has enough heat to keep the seedlings warm if I can keep the drafts away , One plant light bulb one regular bulb , The straight ones that are not pig tailed.
The heating device doors and even the bags I imagine solve that (the drafts) , It is way to early here for this but, I just want to play too.!!.
Besides I will get a few early tomatoes ,And that is sounding really good about now.. Romanesco..
Only the smaller sprouted correctly 4 days old (since seeds were planted) ""poof"" and away we go!!!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2013
5:33 PM

Post #9374613

Many times I use the very bottom of a gal plastic milk jug, starting medium, and plastic wrap or a grocery bag and a heating mat to germinate seeds. It's not pretty BUT it works. In the end the results are the same. My light fixtures are shop lights with cool wave length bulbs in them and a fan. The only thing I buy new are the bulbs.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
5:41 PM

Post #9374626

Yep, what Lisa said!
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 4, 2013
9:20 AM

Post #9375181

I'll see what I can find. I used to use old storm windows, but those were left with the old house when we moved.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2013
1:14 PM

Post #9452558

I started about a dozen tomato varieties a couple of days ago Some 7 year old Belle Starr seeds and one is the first one up , The Black cherry is and has followed second , The others will in a few days be sprouting , only I thought you might like that here ,a 7 year old seed in four days , incredible to me anyway .
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2013
3:06 PM

Post #9452678

juhur and some seeds older than a year will not sprout!!! Gardening is never boring. Always the surprises.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2013
3:12 PM

Post #9452684

LOL! Wrong thread but besides the Mustard How many didn't sprout. With a lot melons that is still the truth ... 12 is the oldest tomato seed I have ever sprouted , I don't attempt or tempt that idea all that often..
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2013
3:16 PM

Post #9452688

Out of about a dozen seeds, only one Mustard sprouted. Did you plant any of the meadow rue yet? i want to know what the seedlings look like. I planted something in a pot and forgot to label it. I think it might be meadow rue but it does not look like the ones on google so Im still stumped.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2013
3:23 PM

Post #9452696

Tried a few one came up and fell over dead after two weeks , I still have over half and will try again shortly. I know they are good so I goofed ,seeing if I can find out where or how.
I have two of those UPL's (Unidentified plant life) at the moment that sprouted in sterile earth with my starts.

Well it could be time for the I.D. Forum when the plant gets large enough..
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2013
3:38 PM

Post #9452725

They are stumped.

Thumbnail by steadycam3

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2013
3:48 PM

Post #9452731

Are there small whitish hairs on the leaves , Garden Huckleberry maybe ...? That is a berry of some kind

I thought the mustard had bigger rounder leaves to my recall.?little lol

This message was edited Mar 17, 2013 6:54 PM

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2013
3:58 PM

Post #9452737

The big leaf fellow just off center ,look familiar, Garden Huckleberry

Look at Solanum also , I was thinking(oh no)lol it looks a little like Solanum americanum also . and I am out guessed also . puzzling isn't it?

This message was edited Mar 17, 2013 7:02 PM

This message was edited Mar 17, 2013 7:10 PM

Thumbnail by juhur7

steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2013
4:00 PM

Post #9452738

Thanks for your input but Ive never had any garden huckeberry seeds. It is definitely not the mustard. the one that came up was quite different from this plant.
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2013
4:03 PM

Post #9452743

The pot I planted them in was FULL of seedlings! I plucked out some of the bigger ones and up potted. It is definitely something I planted and forgot to label.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2013
4:21 PM

Post #9452778

I have seen the leaf previously ,only I am stumped also , maybe it will come to me later, An herb maybe ,kind of hairy if it is though .It even resembles a Comfrey plant. Small plants hard to tell , good looking seedling though !!

I've got it !!! I know where I have seen that before , last year's baby Hibiscus!! Wait and see !! That is a Malvacae leaf..

This message was edited Mar 17, 2013 8:22 PM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America